PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Armies--System of power and consequences

CosmicSol
2011-02-04, 05:06 PM
I figured, since I didn't see a thread for this little-known but excellent system, I'd start one up.

Unknown Armies is, in my opinion, the best roleplaying system for games set in the modern day, and just a flat out amazing system in general. The human aspects and genuine consequences (both physical and psychological) in the system make it near and dear to my heart, as does the unique skill system and the rich, super-gritty world.

Possible topics:
-Highlights of the system, ways in which it could be improved
-Homebrew--Characters, Avatars, Adepts, even One-Shots
-Campaign ideas
-Questions, help, general brainstorming

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-04, 05:08 PM
It's not really little known, to be fair. It's actually pretty well known, just not played as much as it is known. I've been looking for a .pdf for a while, but nowhere seems to sell it (and non-White Wolf or non-D&D games rarely make their way to my country in hardcopy format).

TroubleBrewing
2011-02-04, 05:21 PM
I've played through a couple of UA campaigns, and I find the system lacking. It's got some excellent flavor, and certainly is interesting, it's just that it lacks... finesse. Even when I'm playing a character with phenomenal cosmic power, I still feel like I could die at any moment. Not to other, equally-powerful beings, either: to some random mook with a pistol. That makes the system flawed, if you ask me.

CosmicSol
2011-02-04, 05:24 PM
I've played through a couple of UA campaigns, and I find the system lacking. It's got some excellent flavor, and certainly is interesting, it's just that it lacks... finesse. Even when I'm playing a character with phenomenal cosmic power, I still feel like I could die at any moment. Not to other, equally-powerful beings, either: to some random mook with a pistol. That makes the system flawed, if you ask me.
I actually think this is more a matter of taste than a flaw with the system. It's sort of the point that everyone is human; the villains are still people, and the PCs aren't undying heroes. To be fair, it isn't a typical system in this regard, but when I want an extended fantastical slugout I play DnD.

TroubleBrewing
2011-02-06, 01:45 PM
I did find something a few years ago that amused me a great deal: A picture of the UA core book cover with "Cosmic Bumfights" replacing 'Unknown Armies' as the title. I laughed for a good while over that.

Comet
2011-02-06, 01:50 PM

Each to their own, as said. I find it one of the majorly good parts of the system and a source of added finesse. It's an unbalanced world, full of unbalanced people. Fun, fun, fun.

I haven't played a single session of UA, though. Just read the book a few times through. I'd totally play it if I had a group, though.

CosmicSol
2011-02-06, 02:00 PM
Each to their own, as said. I find it one of the majorly good parts of the system and a source of added finesse. It's an unbalanced world, full of unbalanced people. Fun, fun, fun.

I haven't played a single session of UA, though. Just read the book a few times through. I'd totally play it if I had a group, though.

I'm GMing a group right now, and it's going great. They just got hired by the mafia!

Aidan305
2011-02-06, 02:06 PM
I did find something a few years ago that amused me a great deal: A picture of the UA core book cover with "Cosmic Bumfights" replacing 'Unknown Armies' as the title. I laughed for a good while over that.

Best description ever. I lol'd

edit: Found it: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/2883764/images/1225067320146.jpg

Unknown Armies is a great game. Unfortunately, for some reason, I don't like it. No idea why, it's just not my thing.