PDA

View Full Version : Pony Shame

Beelzebub1111
2011-02-04, 09:44 PM
Okay, My sister is home for a visit to pack up her things and she saw the new My Little Pony series on the DVR. She's making fun of me for it, and now I feel bad that I feel bad about it. It really is a good show, and I tried explaining that, but I'm pretty sure I didn't get through...Any advice? Similar stories?

Should I just get over it and ignore her taunts? It's what I feel like I should do, but it bugs me.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-02-04, 09:54 PM
Should I just get over it and ignore her taunts? It's what I feel like I should do, but it bugs me.

Either that, or strap her to the couch and force her to watch it.

Second one might be more fun. At least for you.

AsteriskAmp
2011-02-04, 09:59 PM
It's on siblings nature to annoy. It's just part of nature, no show will ever be un-mockable.

Raz_Fox
2011-02-04, 10:06 PM
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis.

I, too, fear mockery for watching this show. Thankfully, my parents don't mock me for it as they trust my taste in good media, and my siblings just think I'm mad eccentric, but... yeah, I think I'd be in the same boat as you should any of my associates discover this.

So, I'd just say to ignore her as best you can if you can't reason with her. Impress upon her the skill and breadth of the characterization, though, as well as Lauren Faust's statements on the woeful state of television for girls - namely, that she made the show so that not only young girls could watch it and enjoy it, but their parents as well.

Dogmantra
2011-02-04, 10:12 PM
Funny, because my brother and mother have thought the same. Just ignore them because they're the ones missing out.

rayne_dragon
2011-02-04, 10:43 PM
Show her something horrible and scary then tell her that when she can watch it without getting freaked out she can make fun of what you watch (presuming you know something she'll get squeemish about). Alternatively just make fun of something she watches/does. You are siblings after all.

Beelzebub1111
2011-02-05, 09:21 PM
Eh, tried it all. I guess I'll have to live with her thinking of me as a 6-year-old girl.

Worlok
2011-02-05, 09:30 PM
Try talking her into watching it. Preferably with you. So that she may know it's the glorious insanity it may or may not be, not anything six-year-old-girl-ish. Perhaps that's why she's so about it... Perhaps she just wants to be part of your everyday life so that you, as her brother, may luuurve her?

Alternately, just go all dramatic and bawl at her how her quips and derision hurt you at the very core of your being, and how you, as her brother, just luuurve her and that you'd very much like her opinion on everything so that the two of you may get along for ever, and ever, and eeever...

Either way, she'll probably keep quiet about it from then on. Trust me. :smallwink:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-05, 10:02 PM
I'm pretty darn open about it. I'm all like "Y'know what's the best 'kids' show around? My Little Pony. I love that show." And they're all like "It's better than Arthur?" And I'm like. "Yeah!"

yldenfrei
2011-02-06, 12:43 AM
I'm pretty darn open about it. I'm all like "Y'know what's the best 'kids' show around? My Little Pony. I love that show." And they're all like "It's better than Arthur?" And I'm like. "Yeah!"

Second this. Being casual and open about it lessens that "shameful" misconception. The raised eyebrows and giggles-from-behind eventually disappear.

On the other hand, no on trying hard to make your sibling see that it's not as bad as they think. It's fine if they catch you watching it and they sit with you, but do not force them. Maxing out the volume for all the household to hear might seem like a good "I like this stuff, deal with it!" statement, but it is rude and actually counterproductive to your siblings' acceptance to your taste.

Lastly, whenever your sibling teases you for it, just smile and laugh with them. It's a sibling thing. They don't really hate it, they just want to say "you're funny!".

This coming from someone who got teased for 10 years by my siblings for listening to Enya and other "graveyard ghost" songs. Surprise, surprise, hum an Enya tune at them and they instantly know the title. :smallamused:

Coidzor
2011-02-06, 03:19 AM
Eh, tried it all. I guess I'll have to live with her thinking of me as a 6-year-old girl.

Well, you could start acting like a 6-year-old boy towards her. That'd at least get her to stop interacting with you....

Alcopop
2011-02-06, 03:33 AM
You could pretty much spin it as an ironic semi-genuine hipster love for the show.
So yeah, wear it man. Get a my little pony shirt and a pair of sweet shades and just roll with it. Maybe try mocking your sister for mocking you. Or maybe write up a convoluted essay on the social necessity of breaking the implied emasculation attached to those who view programs outside there gender bound stereotypes. Ect ect ect.

One way or another if you like it, own it bro. :)

Gorgondantess
2011-02-06, 03:40 AM
And they're all like "It's better than Arthur?" And I'm like. "Yeah!"

Whoah, whoah. It's better than Arthur? I mean, I'd heard it was good, but it can't possibly be that good. Arthur's the ****.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-06, 02:21 PM
Whoah, whoah. It's better than Arthur? I mean, I'd heard it was good, but it can't possibly be that good. Arthur's the ****.

It's better than Arthur. I know, that's what I thought too. But now... :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2011-02-06, 02:26 PM
It's better than Arthur. I know, that's what I thought too. But now... :smalltongue:

I'm still not convinced. But that might be because I haven't really taken a shine to any of the songs other than Flutterguy's song for the most part.

Gaelbert
2011-02-06, 04:55 PM

Definitely better than Arthur. Better than anything I watched as a child, outside of Mr. Roger's Neighbourhood. That was the ****.