PDA

View Full Version : Words of power playtest for Pathfinder

BobVosh
2011-02-05, 07:36 AM
I finally got finished with reading it and playing with the spells to see what I can do. I like it a lot. However I'm curious what you guys think about it.

Seems like it will help the poor magus class that doesn't have any touch spells for his channeling strike ability *whatever it is called.* Anything obviously stupid about it that I missed?

9mm
2011-02-05, 12:29 PM
hate it, it's nothing more than a more complicated version of Vancian casting; the thing people asking for alternative spell structure were wanting to get away from. If the playtest is any indication; Ultimate Magic will do nothing but offer ways to make your character more complicated for no benefit.

Sarakos
2011-02-05, 12:54 PM
I haven't tried it out myself but after giig it a read through, It is a bit complicated. I don't fully understand how it works. Then again, I had trouble understanding ToB originally so maybe a second read through of the words of power will help me understand the system better.

Psyren
2011-02-05, 05:57 PM
I'd like to take a look; do you have a link to the playtest?

Sarakos
2011-02-05, 06:13 PM
I'd like to take a look; do you have a link to the playtest?

It can be downloaded for free here (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy8hvu)

BobVosh
2011-02-06, 12:37 AM
hate it, it's nothing more than a more complicated version of Vancian casting; the thing people asking for alternative spell structure were wanting to get away from. If the playtest is any indication; Ultimate Magic will do nothing but offer ways to make your character more complicated for no benefit.

Well other than Vancian casting and power pool of psychics there really isn't too many different ways to do spells.

I like the customization possible with this, although I would almost exclusively use it for a sorcerer type.

MeeposFire
2011-02-06, 05:16 AM
It seems more complicated to me for little benefit.

Tome of battle was more complicated than most melee stuff in general but since melee was so simple that was alright (it did not make melee harder than spells).

Spells already were the more complicated option so making them more complicated would be a bad idea in my opinion. New systems should probably strive to be faster and easier than the old vancian casting system.

EDIT: Paizo has the talent to make new magic systems but I do think they do not want to stray too far away from what has been done before. PF is based on love for 3.5, if they deviate too far from what was accepted as 3.5 then people may not be happy with it anymore and turn away.

Starbuck_II
2011-02-06, 09:43 AM
I finally got finished with reading it and playing with the spells to see what I can do. I like it a lot. However I'm curious what you guys think about it.

Seems like it will help the poor magus class that doesn't have any touch spells for his channeling strike ability *whatever it is called.* Anything obviously stupid about it that I missed?

Agreed, for Magus, it does help him. But it is too much work for others I think.