PDA

View Full Version : [Prestige Class] The Dreaming Ones

unosarta
2011-02-05, 10:00 AM
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs13/f/2006/359/2/0/Druid_by_OSW.jpg

Dreamweaver

The Dreamweavers are a small sect of druids that focus on dreams, and their role in natural life. The Dreamweavers do not care about a certain part of nature in particular, but rather focus on the ability of all life to rest, and see beyond the normal world. They despise the undead, and those that cannot sleep, or dream. A strange enemy of the Dreamweavers are the elves, who are naturally immune to sleep, and who do not need to sleep.

The Dreamweavers especially hold the Fae in high esteem, seeing them as the ultimate purveyor of the dreams. The Fae realm is the Dreaming Glade to the Dreamweavers, and they view those who are Fae touched in the highest esteem.

BECOMING A DREAMWEAVER
How you would normally become a member of this prestige class.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Skills: Concentration 10 ranks, Knowledge (Nature) 10 ranks
Feats: Iron Will
Spellcasting: Able to cast 4th level divine spells
Special: Must spend three months or more in hibernation, doing nothing but sleep
Special: Wild Empathy class feature
Special: Must be able to sleep, and dream

Class Skills
The Class Name's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession(Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Spot (Wis).
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d6

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Dreaming Gaze, Power of Dreams|

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Hibernating Trance (Self)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Rooted in Dreams|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Dreamweave, Pierce the Dream|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Hibernating Trance (Ally)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Unseeing Sleep|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Deepest Dream|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Dreamsight|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Curse of Insomnia|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Made of Dreams|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: The Dreamweaver gains no proficiency with any weapons or armor.

Spellcasting: At every level except first, the Dreamweaver gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (such as bonus feats or increased familiar capability). If a character had more than one spellcasting class before he became a Dreamweaver, he must decide to which class he adds each level of Dreamweaver for the purpose of determining spells per day/spells known.

Dreaming Gaze: When the Dreamweaver is asleep or under the effects of a sleep spell, he still may cast spells, but may not move or take any physical actions. The Dreamweaver may, as a move action, “look” around himself, locating any creatures or things in the area, but otherwise is also unable to see. He may, however, locate any living creature within 30 feet regardless of their location, and this “sight” is strong enough to be able to pinpoint targets for spells and other effects.

Power of Dreams: The Dreamweaver gains the Fey type. The Dreamweaver retains all base attack bonuses, saves, and hit dice, and all future base attack bonuses, saves and hit dice depend on class, but the Dreamweaver gains all other benefits. The Dreamweaver may choose whether to be humanoid or fey when ever one would be more beneficial than the other. In addition, the Dreamweaver adds the Sleep, Nightmare, Symbol of Sleep, and Deep Slumber spells to his spell list. The hit dice that the Dreamweaver can affect with Sleep, Symbol of Sleep, and Deep Slumber is increased by a number equal to the Dreamweaver’s Wisdom modifier.

Hibernating Trance (Su): Starting at second level, the Dreamweaver may go into a trance, falling asleep, and healing 3d6 hit points per round, and one point of ability damage per minute. The Dreamweaver may leave the trance as an immediate action, and may not be coup-de-graced while in the trance. The Dreaming Gaze, Pierce the Dream and Dreamsight abilities still function in this trance. Starting in fifth level, the Dreamweaver may use this ability on a willing ally. They also heal 5d6 points of damage per round, and one point of ability damage per round. That ally also gains use of the Dreaming Gaze, Pierce the Dream, and Dreamsight abilities, as if they were a Dreamweaver of the Dreamweaver’s level.

Rooted in Dreams (Su): Starting at third level, while the Dreamweaver is asleep or under the effects of a sleep spell, or in a trance, the Dreamweaver’s caster level increases by a number equal to one fourth of the Dreamweaver’s Dreamweaver levels, rounded down, minimum 1.

Dreamweave: Starting at fourth level, the Dreamweaver may control subjects within 30 feet that are asleep or have been forced to go asleep. The targets get a will save for the first attempt at control, and for each subsequent command given to them (DC 10 + Dreamweaver levels + Wisdom), and if they make 3 will saves in a row, they may wake up as a free action. The Dreamweaver may only command a target up to once per round, and may command a number of targets per round equal to one half of his Dreamweaver levels.

Pierce the Dream: Starting at seventh level, while in a trance or while asleep, the Dreamweaver may see perfectly fine, with no need to “look” out at the world, so to speak. In fact, while looking through the veil of dreams, the Dreamweaver’s sight is even better, and he gains a +4 bonus to all spot checks made while seeing in a dream or trance.

Unseeing Sleep (Su): Starting at sixth level, the base number of hit dice worth of creatures that the Dreamweaver’s Sleep, Deep Slumber, and Symbol of Sleep can affect is doubled.

Deepest Dream (Su)]: Starting at seventh level, the Dreamweaver may send others into a deep trance with a touch. Once per encounter, as a standard action, the Dreamweaver may make a touch attack against an opponent within melee range. If he hits the target, that target must make a will save (DC 10 + Dreamweaver levels + Wisdom modifier) or instantly fall asleep for 4d4 rounds. Any damage will wake the target up.

Dreamsight: Starting at eighth level, the Dreamweaver’s vision becomes perfect as he stares through the veil of dreams. While in a trance, or while asleep, the Dreamweaver may see as if under the effects of a True Seeing spell.

Curse of Insomnia (Su): Starting at ninth level, the Dreamweaver may curse a target as a full round action. That target must make a will save (DC 10 + Dreamweaver levels + Wisdom modifier) or become unable to fall asleep. The target becomes immune to sleep effects, and gains no benefits from sleep. For each night that the target does not sleep, that target takes 2 Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma damage. This damage cannot bring their Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma lower than 3. This effect lasts until a “remove curse” spell is cast upon them. This ability is usable once per day.

Made of Dreams (Su): Starting at tenth level, the Dreamweaver becomes a greater fey. He gains the (Dream) subtype, and when he is Banished, he returns to the fey realm.

Dream Subtype
The Dreams are a group of powerful fey, also called the Dreaming Ones.

Traits
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Immune to Sleep and Mind affecting abilities.
Resistance to electricity 10, fire 10, cold 10 and acid 10
Made of Dreams: Dreams are literally made from dreams. They have left their body so often that they simply forgot it one day, and never returned for it. Dreams are permanently incorporeal, but is able to affect coporeal objects at will.
Dreaming Tongue: Dreams may speak any language or a race or creatures that can dream. If they cannot dream, then the dream cannot speak their language.

PLAYING A DREAMWEAVER
Dreamweavers are similar to druids, and play very similarly to them as well, albeit without the melee capabilities of the druid. Dreamweavers are first a foremost casters, and they use sleep spells in order to control combatants and remove enemy threats.
Combat: Combat will generally start with the Dreamweaver going into a hibernating trance. They will then use their abilities to heal and buff allies, and to control their enemies, either through physical objects, or through debuffs. But the mainstay ability of the Dreamweaver is their ability to make others sleep.
Advancement: Any class that progresses druid casting would be most likely appreciated by the Dreamweaver character. Rarely would one go back to straight druid, its only benefits being casting, since Wildshape and the Animal companion from druids levels do not really benefit the Dreamweaver very much at all.
Resources: The Dreamweavers are a druidic cabal, and although many are not materially wealthy, all of them are allied with the Fae, and thus do have some form of material wealth. There are individual Dreamweavers, but they are fairly rare. Those Dreamweavers that work with the cabal gain material and magical assistance from both the other Dreamweavers, as well as the Fae that sponsor them in the courts.

DREAMWEAVERS IN THE WORLD
I saw his eyes roll back into his head. He was the last one. I was the only one left. That... monster, he just laughed, and walked towards me. I was the only one left. I was going to die. And then the thing, he got down on the floor, and fell asleep. I thought I was safe. I thought I was fine. Then my squadron got up. I yelled at them to get out while he was asleep. To run away. They laughed. Their eyes had this strange light. They seemed far off, away. They seemed to almost be dreaming while awake. They attacked me. They tried to kill me. I ran, and ran, and ran. Until there was no where else to go. I was in the woods. In the forest. There he was. He touched me, or tried to. I raised the little charm my grandmother had given me, the day she found out that I was to be a guard. The one that protects from the sprites, and the fairies. He hissed, and spat. He prowled around. I got up, and walked away. He never bothered me after that. But never go into the woods. Never look too far into the shadows. Never walk in the darkness, where the shadows sleep, silently dreaming. Never go into those woods, my friend. They are waiting, and they are hungry.

Dreamweavers tend to be just a little bit aloof, just slightly far away. They are not entirely of the waking world, and it shows. They are often silent in all the wrong moments, and say the wrong things when they are not needed. Thusly many who meet the Dreamweavers tend to view them as eccentric or weirdos.
Daily Life: Most Dreamweavers are fairly different, developing tendencies based on personal history and not based on their class itself. Many spend some part of their time communing with the fae courts, whichever court they are assigned to.
Notables: The two head representatives for the Dreaming Ones of each court, Seelie and Unseelie, are Ainmneach Uatha, who represents the Dreamweavers for the Seelie court, and Ginideach Uatha, who represents the Dreamweavers for the Unseelie court. They are sisters, and have spent their entire lives in the courts.
Organizations: The only organization largely dedicated to the Dreamweavers is the druidic cabal called the Dreaming Ones. The Dreaming Ones are the primary way that druids can become Dreamweavers, although it is always possible for one to simply find out through trial and error, or by being taught by a Fae creature themselves.

NPC Reaction
Many NPCs do not see, or even interact with Dreamweavers. At their best, Dreamweavers tend to be unsocial. At their worst, they can be downright xenophobic. Because Dreamweavers spend most of their time working for the courts of the Fae, they rarely interact with any actual people, and thus are not known. At the height of their power, they can be called ghosts and spectres. Even without that much power, the Dreamweavers have an unearthly air about them.

DREAMWEAVERS IN THE GAME
Dreamweavers are probably still tier one. They do not have the melee capabilities of the normal druid, nor the powerful animal companion, but they retain casting, one of the druid’s real powerhouse abilities. Dreamweavers do lose some of their power from a lost caster level, but make it up with class features. Unfortunately, because of their focus on sleep and sleep related effects, they get kind of screwed over by creatures that are immune to mind affecting spells and effects, but they also have a whole host of other spells and effects to choose from, so they are never really useless.
Adaptation: The Dreamweavers can be used as a fey loving group of druids that focus on sleep effects perfectly fine, without the fluff about the “courts”.
Encounters: Encounters with Dreamweavers will probably start out with sort of peaceful encounters, if the Dreamweaver is off duty and not working for the courts. If the Dreamweaver is working for the courts, he will do his best not to be seen, and everything in his power to be ignored by the party, especially if they are fairly powerful or well known.

unosarta
2011-02-05, 05:29 PM
Just finished all of the fluff, tweaked some class features.

I might write up the cabal of the Dreaming Ones, later.