PDA

View Full Version : Spells A Dragon should have

kaiserthe3rd
2011-02-05, 11:00 AM
Okay Playground, I'm planning a dragon encounter for my PCs and I need some help deciding a few last minute spell selections and tactics. The Dragon in question is an old White Dragon so that gives me a caster level of 5 and up to level 2 spells to work with. Any Ideas?

Thanks in Advance

Jack_Simth
2011-02-05, 11:04 AM
Okay Playground, I'm planning a dragon encounter for my PCs and I need some help deciding a few last minute spell selections and tactics. The Dragon in question is an old White Dragon so that gives me a caster level of 5 and up to level 3 spells to work with. Any Ideas?

Thanks in Advance

Depends:
Do you want to murderize your party, or merely give them a tough fight?

If you want to murderize the party, look at Invisibility, Scintilating Scales, Silence, and Wraithstrike.

kaiserthe3rd
2011-02-05, 11:13 AM
The party is rather optimized so I think they can handle quite a bit but I would prefer just a tough fight.

Ilmryn
2011-02-05, 11:16 AM
For a dragon, buffs like haste probably work best. Since a dragon's CL is very low compared with its CR, offensive spells are rather pointelss.

NichG
2011-02-05, 11:17 AM
Along the lines of brutal tactics, how about Bloodwind? Avoiding a dragon's full attacks is essential to fighting them; a 1st level spell makes nowhere on the field safe.

faceroll
2011-02-05, 11:25 AM
Depends:
Do you want to murderize your party, or merely give them a tough fight?

If you want to murderize the party, look at Invisibility, Scintilating Scales, Silence, and Wraithstrike.

ANd loredrake and bloodwind.

Skeletor
2011-02-05, 11:26 AM
Definitely give them a mass loot cleaning spell. I mean what good is piles of gold and gems and other loot if it's not shiny.

gbprime
2011-02-05, 11:43 AM
Remember, a 5th level sorcerer gets only 2nd level spells...

Scintilating Scales is a must, as previously mentioned. As is Breath Flare, a 1st level swift spell that adds Dazzling to the dragon's breath attack. Other staples are of course Invisibility, Resist Energy, and Mirror Image.

kaiserthe3rd
2011-02-05, 12:04 PM
Scintillating Scales looks good as does Breath Flare. Where can I find Bloodwind?

Chilingsworth
2011-02-05, 12:14 PM
Scintillating Scales looks good as does Breath Flare. Where can I find Bloodwind?

Spell Compendium

Edit: Also, shield and mage armor might come in handy. As for feats, one that might prove useful is Practiced Spellcaster. It would increase the dragon's caster level by 4, though it wouldn't give him new spells known or more spell slots. If you wanted those, then you could take Extra Spell or Extra Slot, respectively.

gbprime
2011-02-05, 12:15 PM

It's Spell Compendium. 1st level spell to let you make 1 full attack with natural weapons at 20' range increment. It makes a decent 1-2-1 combo for a white dragon perched high on an ice flow, out of reach of the players. Sit there invisibly, cut loose with Dazzling breath weapon, use Blood Wind on round 2, and (with the Rapid Breath feat) breath weapon again on round 3. Then relocate. :smallamused: