PDA

View Full Version : UMD question

Master Thrower
2011-02-05, 11:11 AM
So if i take a level of cleric taking the magic domain (ignore the other for now its not important) and then go into a non spell casting class, do I need UMD to use scrolls or wands? Do I not need to make UMD checks?

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-05, 12:00 PM
With a single level of Cleric, you can use any Cleric wand and any Cleric scroll with a caster level of 1. With the Magic domain you can also use any Wizard wand, or any Wizard scroll with a caster level of 1.

A scroll with a higher caster level requires you to make a check to cast it - not a UMD check, I think it's a caster level check?

ericgrau
2011-02-05, 12:07 PM
Almost. You can use any wizard or cleric wand regardless of level without a check. For scrolls above caster level 1 you make a caster level check DC 1 + caster level. A natural 1 always fails even if you have caster level boosters. If you fail you must roll a DC 5 wisdom check or a scroll mishap (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm#scrollMishaps) occurs.

Even paladins can use all paladin wands even before they can cast a single spell.