PDA

View Full Version : Famous monsters in D&D 3.5

No brains
2011-02-05, 01:01 PM
I can't be the only person who likes xenomorphs enough to want to have a hive and a party go into a smackfest. There are a bunch of other monsters from various other sources I would like to see in D&D 3.5 language too. My problem is, I can't find a good place to find them!

I should be enough of a nerd to cook these creatures up myself, but I want a place where I can check my results against other people's interpretations to make sure everyone can agree on an accurate scope of a monster's ability. Should a xenomorph deal acid damage soley to a melee attacker, or do people generally agree that they can make bigger splatters than that?

tl;dr: Where can I find stats for famous monsters? Are there threads here where I can discuss them?

Debihuman
2011-02-05, 02:07 PM
Try the search function on this forum and also Google. I'm sure you'll find something. I'm not sure what you mean by xenomorphs (from Aliens)? You have to be a little more specific as to what you mean by "famous" monsters.

You might find this useful: http://www.thirdwave.de/3w/tech/misc/aliens.pdf

Debby

No brains
2011-02-05, 02:57 PM
I've tried google and I never find anything good. The best looking Alien stats were in Portugese, which I do not speak.

Super_Fluous
2011-02-05, 08:25 PM
Also, the kythons from BoVD are quite similar to xenomorphs, likely intentionally so.

Jarrick
2011-02-05, 09:30 PM
Seems to me like there's a thread around somewhere with specific famous characters, like homer simpson. There's also another one devoted to disney characters in the same vein. Anyone have a link?

Debihuman
2011-02-07, 02:48 AM
Here is a 3.5 conversion for some of the monsters from Aliens

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2943527&postcount=1

You might this template useful as well (and it looks to be an English conversion of the Brazilian that you mentioned earlier)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2635557&postcount=7

Debby

Necro_EX
2011-02-07, 03:43 AM
Also, the kythons from BoVD are quite similar to xenomorphs, likely intentionally so.

This.
There are definitely a pretty nice amount of things like this where you can see the inspirations for certain monsters.

Also, it seems the GitP archives have a couple bits you might be interested in (May have already been posted, but I'm dead tired and only fully read the OP).

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-51923.html
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-45126.html
EDIT: Yeah, ninja'd like I thought.

Not to come off as a pretentious internet know-it-all or anything, but are you using google to its fullest?

Search a particular site with google's site function. (Done like so (Xenomorph site:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/) will turn up all mentions of the word 'xenomorph' here in the playground.)

No brains
2011-02-07, 06:10 PM
Seems to me like there's a thread around somewhere with specific famous characters, like homer simpson. There's also another one devoted to disney characters in the same vein. Anyone have a link?

So what happens when Homer hits Jack Skellington with The Defender of disruption? :smallbiggrin:

I thank you all for your help. There's still alot in the entries I don't agree with (The Queen is Medium and has Epic DR), but it's a good start. I do think templates are in order for most creatures, with Queens, eggs, and huggies getting specific monsters.

P.S. I didn't know it was really Portugese until now. I would have guessed Spainish, but somehow Portugese seemed right...

Draken
2011-02-07, 08:53 PM
This.
There are definitely a pretty nice amount of things like this where you can see the inspirations for certain monsters.

Also, it seems the GitP archives have a couple bits you might be interested in (May have already been posted, but I'm dead tired and only fully read the OP).

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-51923.html
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-45126.html
EDIT: Yeah, ninja'd like I thought.

Not to come off as a pretentious internet know-it-all or anything, but are you using google to its fullest?

Search a particular site with google's site function. (Done like so (Xenomorph site:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/) will turn up all mentions of the word 'xenomorph' here in the playground.)

Wow. My english was bad back then. Granted, that was a subpar translation I made in less than 10 minutes, but damn. >_>

Jarrick
2011-02-07, 08:55 PM
So what happens when Homer hits Jack Skellington with The Defender of disruption? :smallbiggrin:

IIRC, there were stat blocks for both, if anyone wanted to bother to find those threads. :smalltongue:

Jeraa
2011-02-07, 11:33 PM
For the aliens, there is also this:

http://members.toast.net/talien/michael/2009/02/aliens-game-over.html

No brains
2011-02-09, 04:10 PM
Okay, we have some Alien stuff, but what about some other monsters of stage and screen?

What would Freddy be? Mike Myers, Jason, The Thing (Carpenter)?

Debihuman
2011-02-10, 04:03 AM
Blood & Blades: The Profiler's Guide Slashers is a fun product that is suitable for the genre. From the artwork, it is clear that the author had both Mike and Freddy in mind.

Darknomancer wrote this write up for Freddy: I took a few liberties with corrections.

Freddy Krueger (from Nightmare on Elm Street)
Medium Undead (Extraplanar), 16th level rogue
Hit Dice: 16d12 (104)
Initiative: +9 (+5 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (+5 Dex, +4 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 14
Base Attack: +12
Attack: Clawed glove +18 melee (1d10 +3)
Full Attack: Clawed glove +18/+3/+8 melee (1d10 +3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Fear Aura, Impale, Sneak Attack +8d6
Special Qualities: Blindsight, Damage reduction 10/+3, darkvision 60ft., regeneration 2, undead traits, vulnerability to fire, dream haunt, parasite, Improved Evasion, Uncanny Dodge (+2 vs. traps), Defensive Role, Crippling Strike
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +15, Will +7
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 20, Con -, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 8
Skills: Climb +22, Escape Artist +24, Hide +24, Intimidate +18, Jump +22, Listen +21, Move Silently +24, Search +21, Spot +22
Feats: Improved Critical (Clawed glove), Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse(Clawed glove),Weapon Focus (Clawed glove), Power Attack
Environment: Any land
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 19
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: By Character Class

Combat

Freddy viciously attacks his victims with his clawed glove.

Fear Aura (Ex): Freddy is evil desire incarnate and exudes and aura to match. All creatures of less than 5 HD in a 60-foot radius that look at him must succeed a Will save or be affected as though by fear as cast by a sorcerer of Freddy’s level.

Impale (Ex): Whenever Freddy enters a grapple and gains a hold, he likes to ram his clawed glove through the victim to horrific results. Freddy deals double clawed glove attack damage every round that he maintains a grapple.

Regeneration (Ex): Freddy suffers lethal damage from fire. If he loses a limb or body part, Freddy can instantly reattach it if he holds it to the stump.

Vulnerable to Fire (Ex): Freddy was originally burned to death by a group of parents angry that he molested their children. Now, in death, he still fears the flame. Freddy takes double damage from fire and automatically fails any save against fire attacks, abilities, etc.

Dream Haunt (Su): Freddy does not naturally exist in the “real” world, only in the dream world. However, he may enter the dreams of others and attack them there. Any damage the victim sustains while dreaming affects them in the real world. If someone dies fighting Freddy in a dream, they die here as well. Freddy cannot be killed in the dream world.

Parasite (Ex): Although Freddy only exists in the dream world, he can take over living creatures bodies and become a real creature. The victim must succeed a will save in order to expel Freddy from their body. If Freddy fails to gain a hold on a victim, he cannot make any further attempts to posses them. The creature is unaware that they have been chosen to carry Freddy into the corporeal world until he decides to come out. This is similar to lycanthropy in the sense that the victim cannot remember what they did while Freddy took over their body. If killed while possessing another, the victim dies and Freddy returns to the dream world until he picks another host.

Debby

Bhu
2011-02-10, 04:45 PM
Kong
Huge Animal (Augmented)
Hit Dice: 36d8+252 (414 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), Climb 40 ft.
Armor Class: 20 (-2 Size, +4 Dex, +8 Natural), touch 12, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +27/+48
Attack: Slam +38 melee (2d8+13)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +38 melee (2d8+13) and 1 Bite +33 melee (1d8+7)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Deadly Grapple, Throw Opponent, Throw Rock, Slam Ground, Arm Sweep
Special Qualities: Low light Vision, Scent
Saves: Fort +27, Ref +16, Will +15
Abilities: Str 36, Dex 18, Con 24, Int 3, Wis 16, Cha 16
Skills: Balance +12, Climb +21, Intimidate +23, Jump +21, Listen +8, Spot +8, Survival +8, Tumble +8
Feats: Awesome Blow, Close Quarters Fighting, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Eyes In the Back of Your Head, Improved Initiative, Improved Multigrab, Large and in Charge, Mighty Leaping, Mighty Roar, Mobility, Multigrab, Power Attack, Defensive Throw (B), Area Attack (B), Fling Enemy (B)
Environment: Warm Forest, Hills, Mountain
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 17??
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 37+ HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: ----

This is the Peter Jackson version obviously.

Improved Grab (Ex): If Kong successfully hits with his Slam attack he may immediately make a Grapple Check as a Free Action without provoking an attack of opportunity. Unlike the normal Improved Grapple ability he may use this on creatures up to 1 Size class larger than himself.

Deadly Grapple (Ex): If Kong may successfully keep an opponent pinned in a Grapple for 3 consecutive rounds it must make a DC 41 Fortitude Save or die (Save DC is Strength based).

Throw Opponent (Ex): Kong may pick up and throw his opponent to the ground in a sort of bodyslam. If he succeeds in a successful Grapple check he may pick his opponent up and hurl them to the ground doing 2d6+26 damage. The opponent is considered Prone after this attack.

Throw Rock (Ex):Kong may throw Rocks as a Huge Giant (see Monster Manual page 118).

Slam Ground (Ex): As a full round action Kong may slam the ground with both fists creating a shockwave that radiates out in a 180' radius from Kong. Opponents must make an opposed Balance check vs an attack roll by Kong, or fall prone. Structures within this area take 1d6+13 plus the structure's Hardness (maximum of +5) damage.

Arm Sweep (Ex): As a Full Round action Kong may make a large sweeping blow with his arm and hit every creature in a 180 degree arc (i.e. thats in front of him or on either side) with his slam attack. he may use the Awesome Blow Feat in conjunction with this.

Skills: Megaprimatus have a +8 Racial Bonus on Climb and Jump checks. They also have a +4 Racial Bonus on Balance and Tumble checks.

No brains
2011-02-10, 04:57 PM
Oh! Thanks Bhu, I've wanted to kill King Kong for a long time!

O hey, you missed his power to absorb lightning.:smallyuk: Godzilla wins after all...

Bhu
2011-02-11, 12:22 AM
I did mention this was the Jackson version :smallbiggrin:

I can prolly do the zilla version...