PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to create a Bruce Willis-like Character in 3.5

Adamantrue
2011-02-05, 02:24 PM
I'm sure we've all seen so many similar threads, as people try to duplicate Captain America, the Predator alien, or Batman, or some such. We've all got various Fanboy things going on.

I was surprised that a cursory Google search didn't turn anything up for John McClane or Korben Dallas. I recognize that they are from a different era of Action Movies than what people think of these days, but I figure somebody would have posted something on the matter.

The advantage of just saying "Bruce Willis" instead of any one of the specific characters he's played is that...well, they all are pretty much the same, with subtle differences and few exceptions. As such, I'm suggesting trying to meet the goal within 10 levels, giving plenty of room to cater towards a specific part.

I also would think ToB would be out of the question. The Squirrel remark from the final Die Hard should be all the reason one would need.

He probably should focus on ranged combat (the equivalent of being a gunslinger), and a competent but not necessarily proficient hand-to-hand fighter. He should probably be 2 parts clever, 1 part lucky.

My first thoughts on Classes include Fighter, possibly Ranger (of the Urban variety perhaps, avoiding Spellcasting), maybe Scout. Barbarian is out, as is Knight, Monk, and Paladin, and any Spellcaster or Martial Adept.

Other people's thoughts?

[edit]

Current Model
Human, Starting Ability Scores: Str 13, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 9, Wis 13, Cha 13
1st Level: Scout 1
Skills: 32 Points
Feats: 2 (1st Level + Human)
2nd Level: Urban Ranger 1
Skills: 6 Points
Feats: Urban Tracking
3rd Level: Urban Ranger 2
Feats: Rapid Shot (Archery Combat Style) + 1 (3rd Level)
4th Level: Urban Ranger 3
Ability Scores: Con 15
Feats: Endurance
5th Level: Unarmed Swordsage 1
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike + Weapon Focus (Discipline Focus)
Maneuvers/Stances: 6/1 (Initiator Level 3)
6th Level: Urban Ranger 4
Feats: 2 (6th Level + Champion of the Wild)
7th Level: Scout 2
Skills: 8 Points
8th Level Unarmed Swordsage 2
Ability Scores: Str 12, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 14
Skills: 7 Points
Maneuvers/Stances: 1/1 (Initiator Level 5)
9th Level: Scout 3
Skills: 9 Points
Feats: 1 (9th Level)
10th Level: Scout 4
Feats: 1 (Scout)

Ossian
2011-02-05, 02:39 PM
I love this thread :smallcool:

McLane is a rogue! The rogues of rogues. He is a detective, and a policeman, and a man that does not go down. He is the "core only par excellence" by contrast with all the villains he has to deal with, who all kinda smell of fancy prestige classes. No-nonsense, no time to do karaté (with the final accent on é), good, honest, old values American. He is not there to follow the rules. He is there to get the job done, and to come home with (most) of his skin intact. He is always having a bad day, but that won't stop him from bringing your a** to jail. He is Abrasive, Passionate and Reckless (traits) and guess what feat he has? Yes, Die Hard. He is tough as nails despite the fact that he is no buff marine, no kung fu pretty boy, no meatbag with the huge gatling gun.

Give him the following stats

STR 13 (he can pack some punch)
DEX 15 (he is quicker than you would expect)
CON 16 (does not look 1/2 as tough as he really is)

INT 13 (you have to hand it to him, he is a devious SOB)
WIS 14 (not a guru, but he sure can stay alert)
CHA 17 (you don't have to like him. he just IS that persuasive, intimidating, exasperating, annoying, persistent MF)

Feats:
Human BF: Improved Initiative
1: Quick Draw
3: Die hard
6: Heroic Surge (from the Star Wars RCR)
9: Weapon Focus (beretta 9mm)

Skills to max out

Spot
Listen
Search
Sense Motive
Bluff

Swap 2 levels of Rogue with Fighter (or Soldier) if it is Korben Dallas :)

Bayar
2011-02-05, 03:22 PM
I'd say a factotum would work wonders with Bruce Willis.

Adamantrue
2011-02-05, 03:37 PM
I disagree with you, but I love the way you think.

McClane cannot be straight Rogue. Think about how he was duking it out with Karl, more trading blows than outmaneuvering and flanking. He needs to have more stand-alone melee combat ability, and less of a glass jaw.

Likewise, Factotum is entirely too complex for "Bruce Willis". He's a simple guy, that can be clever, but is more about determination than out-thinking his opposition and having the perfect tool.

As such...he might have to have some sort of supporting cast. Kids on the street to tip him off, an old friend that specializes in obscure lore, maybe even a few people that owe him favors and can pull some strings.

High Charisma is a must. I've often argued with friends that James Bond and Bruce Willis are the only "Cool White Guys" you see in the movies for the past 20 years (the Iron Man movies ruined that joke).

The Glyphstone
2011-02-05, 03:47 PM
I disagree with you, but I love the way you think.

McClane cannot be straight Rogue. Think about how he was duking it out with Karl, more trading blows than outmaneuvering and flanking. He needs to have more stand-alone melee combat ability, and less of a glass jaw.

Likewise, Factotum is entirely too complex for "Bruce Willis". He's a simple guy, that can be clever, but is more about determination than out-thinking his opposition and having the perfect tool.

As such...he might have to have some sort of supporting cast. Kids on the street to tip him off, an old friend that specializes in obscure lore, maybe even a few people that owe him favors and can pull some strings.

High Charisma is a must. I've often argued with friends that James Bond and Bruce Willis are the only "Cool White Guys" you see in the movies for the past 20 years (the Iron Man movies ruined that joke).

Feat Rogue, or Thug Fighter?

LibraryOgre
2011-02-05, 04:02 PM
Urban Ranger. First favored enemy is Terrorists.

randomhero00
2011-02-05, 04:11 PM
You really can't create a bruce willis character. The cartoon version, and even more willisy (heh) character is Brock M*$#@#F*%#(*&G SAMPSON!

Man I wish I could play a character like that...

Dr: "Brock, why are you naked and covered in blood?"
Brock: "To FEEL the kill!" *puts knife between teeth and runs off*

JaronK
2011-02-05, 04:13 PM
I know you said no ToB, but all these characters beat themselves up until the enemy died. Look at how much damage he took in Die Hard! That just screams Crusader.

JaronK

Waker
2011-02-05, 04:14 PM
Urban Ranger. First favored enemy is Terrorists.
Excellent.
Anyways, I would suggest the Feat Rogue and levels of Barbarian. He's got that combination of cleverness tempered with a healthy dose of testosterone.
Suggested skills: Forgery (to find Fake IDs)
Suggested feats: Endurance, Die Hard, Steadfast Determination.

Hawk7915
2011-02-05, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I think a Ranger with a ton of variants stacked on is the way to go:

Urban Ranger: More appropriate skill list, Urban Tracking.
Spell-less Ranger (C. War): A horrible trade but spellcasting isn't appropriate.
Distracting Attack (PH2): Not great as he's usually solo, but an animal companion isn't appropriate either. If the DM allows it, ask for "Solitary Hunter" (Dragon Magazine) instead.

Feats: Ranger will give Urban Track, Rapid Shot, Manyshot (useless with Guns, ask for something else), and Endurance. That lets you take Improved Unarmed Strike, Diehard, Point-blank Shot, and Precise Shot as feats in an E6 campaign. If you can weasel in some flaws (or are playing to a higher level) then Superior Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Improved Favored Enemy, or Improved Toughness would all be appropriate. Quickdraw, Rapid Reload, Weapon Focus, Steadfast Determination, and Nemesis are also options.

Skills: Maxed ranks in Intimidate and Survival. Respectable skill at Hide, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Tumble, Climb, Swim, Spot, Listen, and Jump.

Adamantrue
2011-02-05, 04:33 PM
People keep saying Rogue, I keep thinking Scout. Its a bit more sturdy, Skirmish is a lot easier to use when you are going solo, and its practically meant to Multiclass with Ranger (the other option that's been mentioned, provided you tweak it).

To be fair, I should mention I was only interested in a 10 level "Foundation" for the Bruce Willis feel. I'm sure Korben Dallas or John McClane are 20th level, and have different final builds.

The Glyphstone
2011-02-05, 04:44 PM
Well, if you want to get pedantic, Bruce Willis is a 10th level Expert with max ranks in Perform (Acting).:smallbiggrin:

Adamantrue
2011-02-05, 04:50 PM
Well, if you want to get pedantic, Bruce Willis is a 10th level Expert with max ranks in Perform (Acting).:smallbiggrin: Are you sure he's acting? His most iconic roles, I'm pretty sure he's just being Bruce Willis.

The Glyphstone
2011-02-05, 04:51 PM
Are you sure he's acting? His most iconic roles, I'm pretty sure he's just being Bruce Willis.

Okay, make it Profession (Actor) then. If he does his own stunts, add in Climb/Jump/Swim/Tumble.

Adamantrue
2011-02-06, 09:49 AM
Well, after looking through all that's been mentioned so far, I thought I'd review possible Class Options, and narrow down the list.

Core

Barbarian: A brutish powerhouse, this seems to be the opposite approach of the iconic Bruce Willis character. A Barbarian absorbs damage without slowing down, while Bruce perseveres through it, toughing it out but being very human in his reaction. On the offensive end, Bruce keeps his head and his cool, not losing himself in a blind fury.

Bard: Though I'm reminded of his brief career in music, this Class also must be ruled out. Its generally to fragile, and the arcane nature and scholarly aptitudes go against the simple, blue-collar attitude.

Cleric: No. Just...no.

Druid: I remember a scene in a movie where he was pelting tree-huggers with golf-balls, while working on an oil-rig. Nuff said.

Fighter: Simple, competent, no frills. I'm sure he's taken a few levels at least, to round things out. A further look at Fighter Variants is needed, especially concerning gunslinging (or the equivalent) support.

Monk: At first, I had ruled this out. But 2 levels might not be a bad idea, for the free Feats and the basic perks. Probably the best was to get Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Combat Reflexes, and not terrible Skills.

Paladin: A Paladin is a figurehead, a shining example of many ideals, a champion to rally behind. Bruce Willis should be cracking jokes at the Paladin's expense, telling him to remove the lance from his a** and just get the job done.

Ranger: Depending on the specifics (especially what Hawk7915 mentioned), it could work out. I have to admit I'm not the most familiar with the Class, but I can see some potential.

Rogue: Ossian had an awesome presentation, but the point that can't be avoided is that Rogue isn't durable enough. Bruce takes a beating all the time, though I can see plenty of reasons to splash some levels in.

Sorcerer: We will not even pretend to entertain this.

Wizard: OK, maybe Barbarian isn't the opposite I thought it was.

Tome of Battle

All other things being equal, all of these do not fit the flavor of any character of his I've ever seen. Don't think Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, think Rocky Balboa.

Other

Marshal: Lacking the fragile nature of the Bard, this isn't necessarily a bad choice for Mr Willis if he's in a soldier-type role. I'd say not for the first 10 levels, though.

Scout: I just see McClane strafing across the room, spraying machine gun fire, and can't help but think "Skirmish". The Skills & Feats split the difference between Fighter & Rogue, and offers a few unique perks as well.

Can people agree/disagree with this list, and explain why if they disagree?

Serpentine
2011-02-06, 10:15 AM
I think the feat Die Hard is a given :smallcool:

Volthawk
2011-02-06, 10:24 AM
Tome of Battle

All other things being equal, all of these do not fit the flavor of any character of his I've ever seen. Don't think Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, think Rocky Balboa.

Eh, I dunno. Iron Heart seems to work with the whole toughness thing. Iron Heart Endurance would mean he can heal himself a little (the flavour text says by ignoring the pain, basically. I think that works pretty well). Surge or Focus means he can reroll saves or just ignore what's effecting him.

playswithfire
2011-02-06, 10:25 AM
Spell-less Ranger (C. War): A horrible trade but spellcasting isn't appropriate.

Use the spell-less from Complete Chamption instead (Champion of the wild); drops spellcasting for 4 feats (at 4, 8, 11 and 14) from a decent list.

Tome of Battle

I think as long as you avoid all or almost all the supernatural maneuvers a dip in Tome of Battle makes some sense. Both Corbin Dallas and John McClane served in their respective armed forces before the start of their movies and ToB base classes can be fluffed as soldiers instead of Crouching Tiger martial artists. If we're shooting for a level 10 character, I'd say a two level dip (levels 5 and 8) in either Unarmed Swordsage or Crusader wouldn't be out of place.
Swordsage works for similar reasons to why monk dip sort of works. Fighting unarmed, AC bonus and weapon focus to make up for the lost point of BAB and 6 skill points per level from a good list.
Crusader has already been mentioned for Steely Resolve/Furious Counterstrike.
And if you dip into homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99529), you can grab a discipline centered around firearms to move even further from Crouching Tiger.

The Glyphstone
2011-02-06, 11:14 AM
I'd use Warblade before Crusader or Swordsage. Iron Heart maneuvers very much embody the rugged never-give-up mentality that Bruce's characters seem to ooze from every pore, and Stone Dragon maneuvers aren't CTHD so much as 'hit it really, really hard', which he does a lot too. Plus, he always plays smart characters, and Warblades get side benefits from high Int.

Gnaeus
2011-02-06, 11:22 AM
I don't see BW as so much a top fighter, as a decent fighter who is really, really tough. What he needs is fast healing up to 1/2 hp. High HP, and maybe some fire resistance to help him survive all those explosions. Dragon Shaman.

Maybe a Dragon Shaman/Warblade/Fighter Mix.

Pentachoron
2011-02-06, 11:55 AM
I feel like Hudson Hawk Bruce Willis needs some levels in bard.

Khatoblepas
2011-02-06, 12:06 PM
Bruce Willis?

Karsite Sublime Way Urban Ranger (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19519074/Sublime_Way_Variant_Ranger) 5/Horizon Walker 1
1) Toughness
B) Trollblooded
2) Ironheart Aura
3) Steadfast Determination
6) Stormguard Warrior

Spell Resistance, Regeneration to all but Fire and Acid (we all know action heroes take a beating, but recover quickly afterward). Take Iron Heart manuevers, and kick some ass. Horizon Walker is to remove the fatigue in Sunlight from the regeneration. No room for Improved Unarmed Strike, but that can be solved with equipment or a dip in Unarmed Swordsage later on. Stormguard Warrior emulates huge punches after sparring for a round (action heroes can pack a huge punch) without the incredible amount of monk unarmed damage. Steadfast Determination is obvious.

Sublime Way Ranger is good for the recovery method. Move 10ft or spend a move action to hide. This is ducking behind cover etc.

Take no supernatural manuevers, and you'll be fine.

gbprime
2011-02-06, 12:26 PM
ACtually, I think he's projecting some sort of Draconic Aura. It's Action Hero 101. Not only can he drag normal people along with him for a scene or two and have them survive, but no matter how beat up he gets, he's always got SOMETHING left for the next fight. This says Fast Healing to me, only up to half HP. =)

Probably just a dip, though, or a feat.

Favored Enemy: Terrorists is a MUST though. :smallbiggrin:

Ossian
2011-02-06, 12:44 PM
I feel like Hudson Hawk Bruce Willis needs some levels in bard.

Why, would you like him to swing on a star? :smallwink:

Perhaps a dip in perform (singing) should do. Also, we all left out his way with the ladies. He seems to be a disaster of a human being and pretty much a sociopath, still...

+1 for fast healing
+1 for endurance
+1 for improved toughness (which for some reason does not have "toughness" as a prerequisite)
+1 for ranger. If you tweak multi-shot, many-shot etc etc you have him gunning mooks down like it's nobody's business
+1 for scout (which also give you a boatload of skill points)

Maybe Urban Ranger 6/Scout 6 would do.

Tyndmyr
2011-02-06, 01:03 PM
bruce willis is a d20 char, and his class is tough. Obviously, he has die hard.

gbprime
2011-02-06, 01:47 PM
Meh, using anything out of Tome of Battle is overthinking it. And he's clearly human.

1 - Urban Ranger 1 Blooded, Improved Unarmed FE 1 (Terrorists =)
2 - Urban Ranger 2 combat style (rapid shot)
3 - Urban Ranger 3 Endurance, Die Hard
4 - Fighter 1 Dive for Cover
5 - Urban Ranger 4 no spells, Improved Favored Enemy
6 - Urban Ranger 5 Draconic Aura (Fast Healing 1) FE 2 (Orks?)
7 - Urban Ranger 6 combat style (manyshot)

So by level 6, he's +4 to hit and check and +7 to damage against his 1st favored enemy (terrorists), and +2/+5 versus orks (or whatever those things were that took over the cruise liner in 5th Element). Every action hero has Dive for Cover, and every action hero has fast healing (but only up to half HP). :smallamused:

"Now I have a machine gun repeating crossbow."

Adamantrue
2011-02-06, 04:12 PM
Use the spell-less from Complete Chamption instead (Champion of the wild); drops spellcasting for 4 feats (at 4, 8, 11 and 14) from a decent list. I need to hunt down my copy of Complete Champion. That could work out better, depending on the Feats.
I think as long as you avoid all or almost all the supernatural maneuvers a dip in Tome of Battle makes some sense. Both Corbin Dallas and John McClane served in their respective armed forces before the start of their movies and ToB base classes can be fluffed as soldiers instead of Crouching Tiger martial artists. If we're shooting for a level 10 character, I'd say a two level dip (levels 5 and 8) in either Unarmed Swordsage or Crusader wouldn't be out of place.
Swordsage works for similar reasons to why monk dip sort of works. Fighting unarmed, AC bonus and weapon focus to make up for the lost point of BAB and 6 skill points per level from a good list. That's a pretty good point, so perhaps Unarmed Swordsage should remain an open option.
I'd use Warblade before Crusader or Swordsage. Iron Heart maneuvers very much embody the rugged never-give-up mentality that Bruce's characters seem to ooze from every pore, and Stone Dragon maneuvers aren't CTHD so much as 'hit it really, really hard', which he does a lot too. Plus, he always plays smart characters, and Warblades get side benefits from high Int. He doesn't play dumb characters, but they always seemed more street smart (high Wisdom) and well trained than booksmart (high Int). I would be more inclined for the Unarmed Swordsage (but still undecided), though focusing on Stone Dragon looks like the way to go.

[...ignoring Hudson Hawk comments...]
+1 for fast healing
+1 for endurance
+1 for improved toughness (which for some reason does not have "toughness" as a prerequisite)
+1 for ranger. If you tweak multi-shot, many-shot etc etc you have him gunning mooks down like it's nobody's business
+1 for scout (which also give you a boatload of skill points)

Maybe Urban Ranger 6/Scout 6 would do. I like Ranger/Scout, and if we get the Swift Hunter Feat in there, it could be pretty sweet.

How many ways are there to get Fast Healing? I'm not familiar with the Draconic Aura gbprime mentioned, and I normally go the Combat Vigor route (which may be hard to squeeze into this).

Right now, I'm inclined to say the choices (up to 10th level) should be Human Urban Ranger 4/Scout 4/Unarmed Swordsage 2.

Vulaas
2011-02-06, 04:34 PM
Just remember to start him at Old age ;)

The Glyphstone
2011-02-06, 04:36 PM
Just remember to start him at Old age ;)

Middle-aged, maybe, but McClane doesn't get Old until Live Free or Die Hard.

Connington
2011-02-06, 04:52 PM
Middle-aged, maybe, but McClane doesn't get Old until Live Free or Die Hard.

Actually, if you went by Bruce Willis's actual age and the release dates (let alone filming time), at the time of Die Hard, he's two years short of D&D defined Middle Age, and at the time of Live Free or Die Hard, he's slightly less than a year short of Old age. In the next Die Hard film, he'll be firmly in the Old category.

Saintheart
2011-02-07, 07:51 AM
I am amazed none of you have gone for maxed out points in Diplomacy, given his most-quoted line from The Fifth Element.

"Anybody else want to negotiate?" :smallconfused:

:smallbiggrin:

Adamantrue
2011-02-07, 08:29 AM
I'm all for him being 35, and having just hit Middle Age (by D&D rules) within the last level or two. Since we're on the subject, we probably should address Ability Scores.

Firstly, I'm going to suggest a Point Buy. A 25 Point Buy would put him on par with the average Adventurer, but I'd like to think Bruce Willis is a cut above them. Going with a 28 Point Buy seems a little better, leaving room to still be vulnerable and believable, having true obstacles to overcome.

I guess the question then becomes a matter of prioritizing Ability Scores.

Strength: Certainly not a dump stat, but he isn't exactly Arnold. He struggles more with feats of strength, relying more on precision and wits, maybe fighting a little dirty. Still, he has enough to get the job done.

Dexterity: He's a pretty good shot, and almost always manages to get out of the way of certain death. He can probably pick a lock with a little practice, and some sleight of hand can entertain a child, or pull a gun when they least expect it.

Constitution: He takes a beating, and just keeps going. I was going to make an Unbreakable joke, but I'm too tired to make it work.

Intelligence: This is where you'd cut corners, but not any more than needed. A natural aptitude may be nice, but he's gotten enough training to know what he's doing, and when it counts. Worst case scenario, he's knows who to go to when something is beyond him.

Wisdom: He can size a situation up pretty well, and his senses are fairly sharp. He's clever, and at the very least Street Smart.

Charisma: Wait, hear me out. He goads his adversaries, making them focus on him and get sloppy. He bluffs his way through obstacles, paralyzing opposition with absurd rants while he slips through. And sometimes he just intimidates people down.

So, though its a little boring, I'm thinking starting Ability Scores of Str 13, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 9, Wis 13, Cha 13. Bump Dex and Con at 4th & 8th level, and apply the Middle Age modifiers at 9th level. That makes things even more boring, but is also probably the fairest you could get.

Str 12 Dex 14 Con 14
Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 14

I'd actually like a different viewpoint on this one, to maybe find some more interesting Ability Scores than mostly 14s. As long as they are reasonably accurate, I'd be happy.

Worst case scenario...I can always use Items to makes those scores less uniform. That would at least be more fun.

[edit]

Current Model
Human, Starting Ability Scores: Str 13, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 9, Wis 13, Cha 13
1st Level: Scout 1
Skills: 32 Points
Feats: 2 (1st Level + Human)
2nd Level: Urban Ranger 1
3rd Level: Urban Ranger 2
Feats: Rapid Shot (Archery Combat Style) + 1 (3rd Level)
4th Level: Urban Ranger 3
Ability Scores: Con 15
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike + Weapon Focus (Discipline Focus)
Maneuvers/Stances: 6/1 (Initiator Level 3)
6th Level: Urban Ranger 4
Feats: 2 (6th Level + Champion of the Wild)
7th Level: Scout 2
Skills: 8 Points
8th Level Unarmed Swordsage 2
Ability Scores: Str 12, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 14
Skills: 7 Points
Maneuvers/Stances: 1/1 (Initiator Level 5)
9th Level: Scout 3
Feats: 1 (9th Level)
10th Level: Scout 4
Feats: 1 (Scout)

gbprime
2011-02-07, 11:13 AM
I am amazed none of you have gone for maxed out points in Diplomacy, given his most-quoted line from The Fifth Element.

"Anybody else want to negotiate?" :smallconfused:

:smallbiggrin:

That wasn't Diplomacy, that was Intimidate. :smallwink:

Adamantrue
2011-02-07, 07:19 PM
I'd like some thoughts on bending a few rules.

Class Skills: I've often Houseruled that when you first gain a new Class, you can add a new Class Skill by sacrificing two existing Class Skills.

I'd like to apply that here, to pick up a few options. I'd think he should have some Bluff & Intimidate options.

[edit]

Modified Scout Class Skills: Climb, Craft, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Gather Information (7), Hide (7), Jump, Knowledge (dungeon), Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nature), Listen (7), Move Silently (7), Ride (7), Search (7), Sense Motive (7), Sleight of Hand (2), Spot (7), Swim, Use Rope
Modified Urban Ranger Class Skills: Bluff (5), Climb, Craft, Gather Information (6), Heal (2), Hide, Jump, Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (local), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Ride (3), Search (4), Sense Motive (4), Spot, Swim, Use Rope
Modified Unarmed Swordsage Class Skills: Climb, Craft, Gather Information, Heal(2), Hide (1), Intimidate (5), Jump, Knowledge (local), Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (nobility), Listen, Move Silently (1), Ride, Search (2), Sense Motive (2), Swim

Spiritual Guide: From Complete Champion, I'd like to alter it for the Urban Ranger, flavoring it as luck and good instincts in a civilized setting.

Instead of its normal functions, I'd like it to:
-Only function in civilized areas larger than a hamlet.
-Give a bonus to Gather Information, Knowledge (local), Listen, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot.
-Grant locate creature once per day.

This ACF obviously would require a new name.

[edit]

Uncanny Instincts
Whether through intuition, paranoia, or luck, you just have a knack for certain tasks in urban environments.
Level: 4th.
Replaces: This benefit replaces the animal companion class feature.
Benefit: You gain an intuitive knack as long as you remain in a civilized setting. Once you remove yourself to natural surroundings (including underground caverns or a town smaller than a hamlet), you are out of your element, and lose your uncanny instincts until you leave the wilds.
While in urban environments, you gain a divine bonus equal to one-quarter your urban ranger level (rounded down) on Gather Information, Knowledge (local), Listen, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks. In addition, you can use locate creature, as the spell, once per day (caster level equals your ranger level). You can also prepare and cast this spell normally from your urban ranger spell list.

Adamantrue
2011-02-08, 10:37 AM
OK...I'll assume No Comment is the same as No Problem.

Maneuvers/Stances
The standard Bruce Willis character generally deals with guns, though he can handle himself alright in hand-to-hand. He'll flow with quick melee encounters, while trying to stick to his guns (in the more literal sense), but if push comes to shove he'll hit quick and hard.

Maneuvers: Baffling Defense, Counter Charge, Mighty Throw, Mountain Hammer, Rabid Wolf Strike, Stone Vise
Stances: Child of Shadow
8th Level: Unarmed Swordsage 2
Maneuvers: Bonecrusher
Stances: Crushing Weight of the Mountain

Feats
I'm surprised this particular combination has so many Feats available, but I suppose I shouldn't expect anything less for an Action Hero. A good bit are already chosen, and many come from a narrow list, but still...wow.

I wanna grab Improved Grapple for Unarmed Combat (his only melee option), so he can deal with Touch ACs and use Crushing Weight of the Mountain. I want Spring Attack & Shot on the Run for Skirmish, and I'm trying to support it with Child of Shadow & Stone Vise. And I'll want Swift Hunter, cause this is a Ranger/Scout.

1st Level
Feats: Dodge + Point Blank Shot
2nd Level
3rd Level
Feats: Rapid Shot (Archery Combat Style) + Mobility
4th Level
5th Level
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike + Weapon Focus (Discipline Focus: Shadow Hand)
6th Level
Feats: Improved Grapple + Shot on the Run
9th Level
Feats: Spring Attack
10th Level
Feats: Swift Hunter

(That...actually worked out surprisingly well.)

If people approve of these, all that would be left are Skills & Skill Tricks. Equipment and any levels past 10th would begin to get too specific to any single character.

Fitz10019
2011-02-08, 11:58 AM
Do bears bare? Do bees be?
Don't forget to include some David Attison.

LibraryOgre
2011-02-09, 12:53 PM
Do bears bare? Do bees be?
Don't forget to include some David Attison.

Bears bear with bees being, but bears don't bare where bees be. A bare bear where bees be be a bare bear barely being.

So to speak. :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2011-02-09, 01:02 PM
This thread needs more [Multipass]....

gbprime
2011-02-09, 01:04 PM
Bears bear with bees being, but bears don't bare where bees be. A bare bear where bees be be a bare bear barely being.

So to speak. :smallbiggrin:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DY3YhPwA0lI/R7h-kChzu9I/AAAAAAAAAOo/Lf1YQjJ4nRw/s320/facepalm_bear.jpg