PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Totemist options for dealing with incoporeal foes?

Coidzor
2011-02-05, 02:39 PM
Basically invest essentia into one's natural weapon-granting soulmelds so they have enhancement bonii and brute force the miss-chance?

Anything else I'm missing other than a ghost-touch property/augment crystal on a necklace of natural attacks?

HunterOfJello
2011-02-05, 02:46 PM
Basilisk Mask bound to your Brow will give you the Blind-Fight feat which allows you to reroll miss chances due to concealment.

You can do the same thing by binding a Soulbound Weapon to to your Brow chakra.

~

Easiest method is to put Ghost Touch on a weapon like Claw Extenders from the Dragon Magazine.

Psyren
2011-02-05, 02:48 PM
Basilisk Mask bound to your Brow will give you the Blind-Fight feat which allows you to reroll miss chances due to concealment.

You can do the same thing by binding a Soulbound Weapon to to your Brow chakra.

That would help vs. invisible enemies, but I don't think Blind Fight does anything to help you vs. incorporeal ones. (Though the two often go hand-in-hand)

HunterOfJello
2011-02-05, 02:53 PM
That would help vs. invisible enemies, but I don't think Blind Fight does anything to help you vs. incorporeal ones. (Though the two often go hand-in-hand)

You're right. I was looking up the info after I posted that and the miss chance that Incorporeal creatures get isn't considered Concealment. Blind-Fight only helps against Concealment.

Psyren
2011-02-05, 02:58 PM
I think it would help if they're attacking from within a wall - that miss chance is called "concealment."

Do those miss chances stack? (the 50% chance of being affected by a magic attack, and the 50% concealment from attacking from within an object.) If so, that's a 25% chance to hit them even before AC is factored in - ouch!

Coidzor
2011-02-05, 03:45 PM
I think it would help if they're attacking from within a wall - that miss chance is called "concealment."

Do those miss chances stack? (the 50% chance of being affected by a magic attack, and the 50% concealment from attacking from within an object.) If so, that's a 25% chance to hit them even before AC is factored in - ouch!

Hmm. Good thing my DMs either aren't that devious or don't know about that if it's the case <_< >_>

Devmaar
2011-02-05, 05:04 PM
You could spend a feat on Shape Soulmeld: Crystal Helm.

Bound to your Crown chakra it gives all your melee attacks the force descriptor.

Greenish
2011-02-05, 05:20 PM
Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting, 4000gp, MIC page 215.

mootoall
2011-02-05, 05:23 PM
I'm not sure if Incorporeal is related to Ethereal, but there's a soulmeld that allows you to go ethereal when you move, which would let you attack other ethereal creatures. Good for ghosts, I think.

Coidzor
2011-02-07, 03:23 AM
Thanks for that page reference, Greenish, I'll be checking that out soon.
I'm not sure if Incorporeal is related to Ethereal, but there's a soulmeld that allows you to go ethereal when you move, which would let you attack other ethereal creatures. Good for ghosts, I think.

I thought so too, but Phase Cloak seems to have one immediately drop out of the ethereal after finishing moving. So maybe manticore belt + flyby attack would work.

...I'm not so sure about things like landshark boots' pseudo-pounce though. :smallconfused:

Tenebris
2011-02-07, 03:51 AM
I've always liked Ghost Shroud armor (robe?), but the Libris Mortis version. All attacks with ghost touch, +4 deflection bonus to AC seems fair for 35k gp. And it looks cool :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: you will probably like to use ankheg breastplate soulmeld with this one, since you won't be able to wear any other armor.

Darrin
2011-02-07, 07:17 AM
Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting, 4000gp, MIC page 215.

Also, Ghost Shroud (5000 GP, MIC p. 104).

If you're dealing with actual ghosts, which are still ethereal even when they manifest as incorporeal, try coating your natural weapons with Ghostwall Shellac (150 GP, Dungeonscape p. 35). Takes 1 hour to apply, lasts 4d6 hours. It has no effect on incorporeal creatures that are not also ethereal.

The sticky version of raw ectoplasm (Ghostwalk p. 30-31) can be spread on a weapon to a weapon to give it the ghost touch property, but "it deals only half damage". I'm not sure if half damage refers only to the weapon, or to the total damage (if it's total damage, then 50% reduction is mechanically the same as a 50% miss chance). 1 lb only costs 1 CP and it evaporates after 10 minutes, but you can add ectoplasmic stabilizer for 5 GP/lb to make it last 10 days. If you don't have a source for raw ectoplasm or stabilizer, you can create it with a Chaos Flask (100 GP, Planar Handbook p. 76). Add an Unguent of Timelessness (150 GP, DMG) and it will last 375 days.

Ectoplasmic Ichor (500 GP, Libris Mortis p. 78) can also be used to coat a weapon/armor/object to give it the ghost touch property. It lasts an hour. Add an Unguent of Timelessness, and it will last 15.2 days.

And yes, you can coat a soulmeld with an alchemical substance/oil/elixir/ichor/etc. Magic of Incarnum p. 49:

"Once shaped, a soulmeld takes on a solid physical form in the shape specifi ed for that particular meld. A shaped soulmeld acts as a normal object that might be worn, such as boots, armor, or a robe"