PDA

View Full Version : Need Feat Help [3.5]

goken04
2011-02-05, 02:52 PM
Okay, I've got a Changeling Factotum1/Changeling Rogue1/Swashbuckler2 and I need help selecting his next feat!

My current feats are Persona Immersion and Urban Tracking (prereq for this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173197)PrC). I got a bonus feat after last session (I think it's from the magical sword I'm using... pretty sure its intelligent and trying to do mean things to me).

My stats are:
Str 12
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 17
Wis 11
Cha 15

I thought about font of inspiration, but I don't know that I need 3 Inspiration Points over the 2 I already have, especially since I'm not taking anymore factotum levels.

I thought about Dodge, because in my group it gives a static +1 Dodge bonus to your AC, but I'm not sure. Is there any good feat trees for Dodge other than Elusive Target? I'm not too keen on taking it, don't see it worth the Mobility investment.

I thought about taking Craven, it would be nice to do some more sneak attack damage. In the same vein, Improved Initiative or Lucky Start might be nice so I could get my SA more often (it's a solo campaign, so flanking is rare for me)

Combat Expertise might be nice. I could go with Improved Disarm as my next feat, then, since I fight a lot of humanoid (I'm an evil character in a criminal guild). Is there a better feat tree for Combat Expertise that would fit well in my build?

Finally I thought it would be cool to take Sly Fortune (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Sly_Fortune), since I have a high Stealth score and botching a Stealth check can be very bad for someone who is often doing nefarious deeds.

My current build plan is to go one more level of Swash to get my Int to attacks and then into Undercover Detective for 10 levels. I plan to take Daring Outlaw at level 9 (when I qualify for it) to grab an extra die of Sneak Attack, but I have no plans for my 6th level feat. And, who knows, I might get another bonus feat from my evil rapier. Any recommendations/thoughts would be very welcomed!!

holywhippet
2011-02-05, 03:10 PM
Dodge doesn't give you a static +1 to AC. Each round you need to designate a target and you get +1 to AC against that target and that target alone. Dodge does lead to mobility and spring attack which is handy for getting into melee range, doing damage then getting back out of range - works best against a melee opponent who's a lot slower than you though.

I've never been sold on improved intiative - it just makes the odds of your going first in a round higher. Unless the combat ends, you'll still get to go anyway. What it might prevent is getting surrounded, but that's what the tumble skill is for.

ex cathedra
2011-02-05, 03:11 PM
Craven seems like a good idea. It scales, so it'll always be nice to have, and it's based on your character level rather than your Rogue level, so it'll be a nice bonus while you're waiting for Daring Outlaw.

goken04
2011-02-05, 03:14 PM
Dodge doesn't give you a static +1 to AC. Each round you need to designate a target and you get +1 to AC against that target and that target alone. Dodge does lead to mobility and spring attack which is handy for getting into melee range, doing damage then getting back out of range - works best against a melee opponent who's a lot slower than you though.

I've never been sold on improved intiative - it just makes the odds of your going first in a round higher. Unless the combat ends, you'll still get to go anyway. What it might prevent is getting surrounded, but that's what the tumble skill is for.

I know what Dodge is RAW, but it sucks. Dodge has been houseruled in our group to give a static +1 to AC. Unfortunately Spring Attack is not as useful when you're the only member of the party, since it just leads to more charge attacks.

Going first in initiative makes a big difference when you have sneak attack but no one to flank with. Getting that attack in while my opponent is still Flat-footed is often my only chance at my sneak attack.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-05, 03:40 PM
Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a), get a flanking partner. Get a wolf and call it a guard dog, it can sniff out opponents and track for you, and having an extra set of actions in a solo game is extremely helpful.

Edit: Add the Warbeast (MM2) template to it if you can succeed on the Handle Animal checks by taking ten. Also make it Magebred (ECS) if you can get away with it, which should guarantee success at the handle animal checks to make it a warbeast.

goken04
2011-02-05, 05:46 PM
Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a), get a flanking partner. Get a wolf and call it a guard dog, it can sniff out opponents and track for you, and having an extra set of actions in a solo game is extremely helpful.

Not bad, but my character is a sneak who is a master of disguise. I actually have three cover identities that operate in my city, besides my main character, and it would be a little telling to have all four of us suddenly have a dog companion accompanying us everywhere. Not to mention the extra Stealth checks he'd have to make would hinder my ability to remain undetected in many situations.

In short, mechanics-wise good choice, but I don't think it would fluff well for my character.

Saint GoH
2011-02-05, 05:55 PM
Craven is likely your best bet. It's scaling, and useful for a rogue type. Im assuming your Dex is high enough you win Initiative most of the time, so Imp Init seems a little redundant.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-05, 06:01 PM
In that case, Obtain Familiar (CA) + Improved Familiar (DMG) for an Imp or Quasit could work out for you. They get alternate forms, can turn invisible at will, and are awesome at UMD (if you have ranks) and throwing tanglefoot bags. If you have UMD, consider (also) getting an Eternal Wand (MIC) of Hound of Doom (CW), it's one of the best summon-type spells in the game since it scales with your character's capabilities, and if used by a familiar it can benefit from its high Cha bonus.

goken04
2011-02-05, 06:33 PM
In that case, Obtain Familiar (CA) + Improved Familiar (DMG) for an Imp or Quasit could work out for you.

But I'm not a 3rd level caster...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-05, 08:33 PM
Well.... only one Factotum level, so not even the fake spellcasting for which you could take Practiced Spellcaster, either. Maybe since it's a solo game your DM is willing to make an exception? Familiars are awesome if played properly, especially an imp or quasit.

Curmudgeon
2011-02-07, 08:25 AM
Well.... only one Factotum level, so not even the fake spellcasting for which you could take Practiced Spellcaster, either.
Practiced Spellcaster applies only to a spellcasting class. Since Factotums use SLAs and never cast spells, they get no benefit from that feat (at any level). Maybe you were thinking of something else?

Person_Man
2011-02-07, 11:21 AM
My suggestions:

Shape Soulmeld/Open Chakra (Magic of Incarnum) and Martial Study/Stance (Tome of Battle) can be used to gain a wide variety of different abilities. So if you wanted something like flight, Dimension Door, immunity to mental control, more Sneak Attack, healing whenever you hit someone, or other goodies, they're all right there for the taking.
Combat Acrobat: If you make a DC 20 Balance check to negate being knocked Prone, and/or a DC 15 check to ignore up to 4 squares of difficult terrain. PHBII pg 76.
Sand Dancer: Whenever you move at least 10 ft in an area of sand/loose dirt/etc, Tumble, and attack and damage an enemy, they must Save or be Blinded for one round. I would only use this if you're going to be adventuring in the Wastes or some similar setting. Otherwise you can buy a Bottle of Endless Sand, which you can just tie to your belt and leave on. Or you can have someone cast or UMD Transmute Stone to Sand or Black Sand to create it. Sandstorm pg 52.
Smooth Talk: When you rush a Diplomacy check, you only take a -5 penalty (instead of the normal -10). Player’s Guide to Faerun pg 43.
Spirit Sense: Let’s you see an interact with spirits of the recently dead. Although this obviously duplicates a low level spell and is not an optimal choice for any build, I think it's a fun roleplaying tool. “Sorry that we had to ambush you, but could you tell us your master’s weaknesses?” “Are you kidding me, you just killed me.” “Please? (My Diplomacy check is 52.) “Fine, fine. He’s vulnerable to fire.” Heroes of Horror pg 124.
Staggering Strike: When you Sneak Attack with a melee weapon, your enemy must Save (DC = total damage dealt) or be Staggered for 1 turn, which prevents them from making a full attack or any other action that requires a full round (summoning, metamagic for spontaneous casters, etc). Find a way to get any Sneak Attack. Comp Adventurer pg 112.
Tomb Tainted Soul: You are healed by negative energy and harmed by positive. Now your allies can dump Uttercold or Enervated spells in the middle of combat to heal you and harm (non-undead) enemies. Libris Mortis pg 31.

I would also say that Swashbuckler is generally a very weak class, especially when compared to Factotum. Spending a feat or a class level to get Weapon Finesse is not worth it when there's only a 2 point difference in your Str and Dex. And Int to damage (which you don't get until 3rd level!) is not worth it if your Int is only 17 (+3 damage, less then what you get from Sneak Attack).