PDA

View Full Version : Totem Rager Question and Incarnum Multiclassing

mootoall
2011-02-05, 06:12 PM
Essentially my biggest problem at the moment is, with my totemist/barbarian/totem rager build, I don't get to open the waist chakra, meaning I don't get my awesomesauce manticore belt's best ability. Is there any way to get around this?

MeeposFire
2011-02-05, 06:41 PM
If neither your class nor the prc has granted you the waist chakra yet you can use the open chakra feats (I think it is greater) to open it for you. Hard to say more without more info.

mootoall
2011-02-05, 06:49 PM
Right, feats. Can't believe I forgot that.

But if I take all ten levels of Totem Rager, then return to Totemist, can I "skip" straight to opening the next chakra at a point where I would gain a lesser one? If not by RAW, does that sound reasonable?

MeeposFire
2011-02-05, 06:50 PM
RAW is a no you cannot skip. Reasonable would be better determined by your DM.

EDIT: Also if you want flying you can get better flying from the pegasus cloak and the shoulder chakra which you do get.

stainboy
2011-02-05, 08:28 PM
Pretty sure Mootoall needs flying in a waist slot. Which looks hilarious in my head. Picture someone being carried through the air by the seat of their pants.

MeeposFire
2011-02-05, 08:39 PM
Sure it sounds funny but outside of a free flyby attack feat is there anything else you get that is better using this belt than by using your shoulders for pegasus (which lets you fly at a better maneuverability)?

mootoall
2011-02-05, 09:53 PM
Sure it sounds funny but outside of a free flyby attack feat is there anything else you get that is better using this belt than by using your shoulders for pegasus (which lets you fly at a better maneuverability)?

Free flyby attack is better, plus if I recall correctly you get more bang for your buck from Manticore belt. Especially considering the fact that the difference between clumsy and average is pretty negligible.

MeeposFire
2011-02-05, 10:08 PM
Speed is the same and pegasus can save you from falling due to feather fall(if you get knocked unconscious or something) and maneuverability. Manticore will give you better spot checks. Though if you really like flyby attack then you would need to spend a feat on open greater chakra.

mootoall
2011-02-05, 10:14 PM
Speed is the same and pegasus can save you from falling due to feather fall(if you get knocked unconscious or something) and maneuverability. Manticore will give you better spot checks. Though if you really like flyby attack then you would need to spend a feat on open greater chakra.

But that also takes up my totem chakra, which I can use for much better things.

MeeposFire
2011-02-05, 10:17 PM
But that also takes up my totem chakra, which I can use for much better things.

No do not use the totem chakra bind it sucks. It allows you to psuedo fly whereas the shoulder bind (alone) gives you true flight at 10 feet per point of essentia. You do not need the totem bind to do that and in fact unless you were to use a feat you could not combine the totem chakra and shoulder chakra from the same soulmeld (not that you would want to in this case).

mootoall
2011-02-05, 10:20 PM
No do not use the totem chakra bind it sucks. It allows you to psuedo fly whereas the shoulder bind (alone) gives you true flight at 10 feet per point of essentia. You do not need the totem bind to do that and in fact unless you were to use a feat you could not combine the totem chakra and shoulder chakra from the same soulmeld (not that you would want to in this case).

Huh, right you are. I do suppose the Manticore Belt's ranged attack is better than its flight, and if I take pegasus cloak ... Hmm. I guess I'm wrong! Shoulder slot's good.

MeeposFire
2011-02-05, 10:24 PM
You could pick up flyby attack though the feat will be lost (and useless anyway) while you lack a fly speed.

mootoall
2011-02-05, 10:32 PM
You could pick up flyby attack though the feat will be lost (and useless anyway) while you lack a fly speed.

Yeah, I know, just like I lose Mindsight when I don't have my Shadu crown. But that's something I plan to usually have, whereas the free Flyby Attack allows for great Landshark Boots cheese.

MeeposFire
2011-02-05, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I know, just like I lose Mindsight when I don't have my Shadu crown. But that's something I plan to usually have, whereas the free Flyby Attack allows for great Landshark Boots cheese.

That brings up an interesting question on whether you can make a jump check for a five foot high jump while flying since that attack requires that.

mootoall
2011-02-05, 11:36 PM
Well my general strategy is to make the check and then start flying, which allows you your attacks, and then use Flyby Attack to continue past them, denying them a full attack back.

MeeposFire
2011-02-05, 11:39 PM
Get double totem chakra and boost those claws with energy damage from heart of fire or kruthik claws and you will be fairly nasty.

mootoall
2011-02-05, 11:47 PM
That's not thinking big at all! Combine it with Girallon's Arms if you want insane amounts of nat. attacks.

MeeposFire
2011-02-05, 11:53 PM
That's not thinking big at all! Combine it with Girallon's Arms if you want insane amounts of nat. attacks.

Normally I would agree with you but girralon arms do not work with your standard action "pounce" jump attack. It only allows for the 4 attacks that the meld gives you. Now the giralon arms are good for full attacks I grant you though really that just brings you back to what you did on that pounce but in a lesser from (less damage). Heart of fire gives you 1d4 fire damage per claw attack per point of essentia. If you are going to have four attacks either way you might as well have elemental claw attacks and use your landshark pounce idea.

EDIT: Only a few things would add attacks to your landshark punce. One is snap kick though that would involve getting unarmed attack feats. Nice thing is that you can still get heart of fire bonuses with it.

mootoall
2011-02-06, 12:07 AM
Don't Sphinx Claws also give you pounce? I'm AFB right now, but if they give you pounce while not bound to your totem, then it'd be pretty interesting to charge ten feet, jump, Girallon's Arms, Sphinx Claws and Landshark Boots attack all at once, then fly off into the sunset. Not sure if it'd work though, since I'm away from book ...

Greenish
2011-02-06, 12:14 AM
Don't Sphinx Claws also give you pounce? I'm AFB right now, but if they give you pounce while not bound to your totem, then it'd be pretty interesting to charge ten feet, jump, Girallon's Arms, Sphinx Claws and Landshark Boots attack all at once, then fly off into the sunset. Not sure if it'd work though, since I'm away from book ...Landshark Boots require a standard action, and do not allow other natural attacks to be used in conjunction with the quarto-attack. Fly-by Attack doesn't work with Charge (and thus Pounce).

mootoall
2011-02-06, 12:18 AM
Fly-by Attack doesn't work with Charge (and thus Pounce). The rest I get, but I've never heard this before. You charge ten feet, as ... y'know a charge. Then you jump your 5 foot jump and attack. Then, as per the text of flyby attack, you fly the rest of your movement after the attack. What's wrong with that?

Greenish
2011-02-06, 12:20 AM
The rest I get, but I've never heard this before. You charge ten feet, as ... y'know a charge. Then you jump your 5 foot jump and attack. Then, as per the text of flyby attack, you fly the rest of your movement after the attack. What's wrong with that?Fly-by Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#flybyAttack) is a move action and a standard action, charging is a full round action. You'll need extra actions to do both on the same turn.

Urpriest
2011-02-06, 12:25 AM
The rest I get, but I've never heard this before. You charge ten feet, as ... y'know a charge. Then you jump your 5 foot jump and attack. Then, as per the text of flyby attack, you fly the rest of your movement after the attack. What's wrong with that?

Flyby Attack specifies a standard action. Charge specifies a full-round action. I don't see the ambiguity.

mootoall
2011-02-06, 12:30 AM
The ambiguity is that it's 1:00 A.M. and I'm tired, away from books, and the SRD doesn't want to open on my phone. :smalltongue:

tyckspoon
2011-02-06, 12:36 AM
Landshark Boots require a standard action, and do not allow other natural attacks to be used in conjunction with the quarto-attack. Fly-by Attack doesn't work with Charge (and thus Pounce).

Hence why higher-level characters usually switch to Girallon Arms and assorted charge enhancers (like using Shape Soulmeld to snag Thunderstep Boots from the Soulborn list! Sonic damage on a charge, on a chakra space you probably aren't using for much else important, and it doesn't even need to be bound to get it.. so tasty.)

You'd have to be depressingly high-level to do it with a Totem Rager build, and it'd require all your chakra bind spaces.. but if you want to maximize Landshark Boots damage, maybe run something like Totem Bind- Landshark Boots (obviously), Arm Bind - Girallon Arms (rend for 2xClaw + 2xStrength if you hit with 2 claw attacks- effectively 2 more hits) Shoulder Bind- Totem Avatar (your natural weapons count as 1 size bigger for damage dice.) If you hit with everything that would be 6d8 (+Cobalt Rage bonus+essentia invested in Landshark Boots) + 6xStrength, and there's no reason you shouldn't hit well between high Strength, the enhancement bonus on the claws, and getting to use your full BAB for all 4 of them. Combine with a real size increase (a Mountain Rage Goliath would be appropriate) for even more fun.