PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Looking to flatten some feet

DragonBaneDM
2011-02-05, 06:21 PM
Hey guys! A friend of mine just started a 3.5 game with me, and he's playing a character that benefits greatly off of denying people their Dexterity bonus to Armor Class.

Besides catching them flat-footed, what are other reliable status effects or equipment we should be looking into?

I'm a Cleric, and I'd be interested in helping him personally if I can, but if not we have a pretty versatile party to help him achieve this, including a Bard, another Cleric, a Fighter, and Druid.

mootoall
2011-02-05, 06:23 PM
Hey guys! A friend of mine just started a 3.5 game with me, and he's playing a character that benefits greatly off of denying people their Dexterity bonus to Armor Class.

Besides catching them flat-footed, what are other reliable status effects or equipment we should be looking into?

I'm a Cleric, and I'd be interested in helping him personally if I can, but if not we have a pretty versatile party to help him achieve this, including a Bard, another Cleric, a Fighter, and Druid.

Summoning is a great way to make a flanker who can hit. You and the Druid can do that easily.

Gorgondantess
2011-02-05, 06:23 PM
One feat or one class level gets you sapphire mind blade. Succeed with a concentration check vs. the opponent's AC and they are flat footed against your attack, and it does +1d6 damage.

Waker
2011-02-05, 06:27 PM
Well, there are a number of means. Flanking as mentioned is one choice. There are a number of ways to deny dexterity to an opponent including having another character grapple the target (grapplers are denied dexterity against opponents who aren't grappling), being invisible or using spells like grease which force the target to make a balance check.

Ah, almost forgot, the use of Feint. This one is tricky to utilize though, since improved feint requires a move action, meaning the character can only attack once per round.

Kyrthain
2011-02-05, 06:33 PM
If you specifically need them to be without their Dex, flanking doesn't actually do the trick. If this is just for sneak attack or the like, then flanking is all well and good.

Bakkan
2011-02-05, 08:14 PM
4 Levels of Avenging Executioner (Complete Scoundrel) will allow you to treat any shaken, frightened, or panicked creatures as flat-footed for the purposes of Sudden Strike damage, which may work for you.

aboyd
2011-02-05, 08:39 PM
As a cleric, you can cast blindness, and the druid can cast Blinding Spittle. If they work, being blind denies Dex to AC.

DragonBaneDM
2011-02-05, 09:40 PM
One feat or one class level gets you sapphire mind blade. Succeed with a concentration check vs. the opponent's AC and they are flat footed against your attack, and it does +1d6 damage.

That's awesome! What book do we want for this?

Also, the blind suggestion was equally helpful. Also, summons that could be good grapplers would probably help this guy a lot.

Magnema
2011-02-05, 09:46 PM
A mid (6th?) lvl beguiler (PHII) gets the ability to feint as a move action, or swift with improved feint. Not sure if that's useful; you're party composition seems to be determined at this point. Also, the first level Sorc/Wiz and Assasin spell distract assailant (SC) can flatten someone's feet for a round, w/ a swift action casting time.

Lateral
2011-02-05, 09:54 PM
That's awesome! What book do we want for this?

Tome of Battle. Best. Melee splatbook. EVAR.*

*Highly controversial, though. Some people hate it, others love it. Most people on this forum think it's well-balanced, but YMMV.

Gorgondantess
2011-02-05, 10:07 PM
Tome of Battle. Best. Melee splatbook. EVAR. PERIOD.

Fixed that for you.:smallwink:

Grendus
2011-02-05, 10:21 PM
If he's a rogue, a later level dip into Swordsage will give you about half a dozen maneuvers to flat-foot your opponents - greater invisibility, summon a flanker as a swift action, treat opponent as flat footed with a concentration check - plus some nice non-sneak attack damage like 4d6 if you make a jump check. Very powerful class, and probably the most balanced of the three (which also means the weakest, but the most fun from a gish standpoint).

If you dip Swordsage at 9th level, you can get +2d6 sneak attack damage as a stance (plus a feat that lets you use dexterity for damage), plus first through third level maneuvers. Probably the best time to dip martial adept.

yldenfrei
2011-02-05, 11:49 PM
Blurstrike weapon property (Magic Item Compendium p29, +2 enhancement cost, swift command activation) - your opponent is considered to be flat-footed against your first attack with the imbued weapon for that round. Functions 10/day.

On someone with Crusader/RKV with Death in the Dark (Shadow Hand Strike 7)readied, this gets nasty very fast. :smallsmile:

Greenish
2011-02-06, 12:24 AM
This gets asked enough that I made a short guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186283).