PDA

View Full Version : Animal LA

LOTRfan
2011-02-05, 06:28 PM
Hello, everyone. Currently, I am planning on adapting Oz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_Oz) as a demi-plane once I am done with the current homebrew project I am working on (though, admittedly, it is mostly based off of Gregory Maguire's work than the original books by L.F. Baum).

Now, Oz is populated by various intelligent Animals, so, for completion's sake, I want to give them a Level Adjustment. So, does anyone have any ideas on how this should be done?

Waker
2011-02-05, 06:30 PM
LA isn't really necessary since animals have racial HD. Just apply the Awaken spell to them and you're good to go.

LOTRfan
2011-02-05, 06:34 PM
I planned on doing this for most animals, but a few seem rather powerful (Elephants gain +20 strength, +10 constitution, +2 wisdom, -2 charisma, four natural attacks, trample, and scent, for example). Does the elven Hit Dice more than make up for that?

Waker
2011-02-05, 06:44 PM
Compare it to what a character of equal ECL could do. Also don't forget that Awaken adds +2 HD so what could an equivalent lvl 13 character do? Not to mention that being a Huge Elephant might seem fun, but it makes moving around difficult in certain places, like dungeons.
I'm being forgetful today. Then you have to also remember the issues that come with being a non-humanoid. Gear is going to be difficult to come across and many normal weapons just won't work for you.

LOTRfan
2011-02-05, 06:49 PM
All good points. I'll keep them Level Adjustment: +0, then.

Thank you.