PDA

View Full Version : Will Xykon remember Roy the next time they meet?

suszterpatt
2011-02-05, 08:45 PM
Title pretty much says it all.

Personally, I'm going with "hell no".

Capt Spanner
2011-02-05, 08:51 PM
Who's Roy?

Oh, that Pinkhandle guy, right.

Didn't he fall off my dragon once?

ThirdEmperor
2011-02-05, 09:01 PM
You know, I'm not entirely sure Xykon didn't remember Roy. Considering how he acts, there's a fifty fifty chance he was just pretending not to remember to make him mad.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-05, 09:14 PM
Are we thinking of the same Xykon? Roy threw him into a Gate and cased him to explode so I doubt fitting the guy on a dragon will make him stand out in his mind.

Occasional Sage
2011-02-05, 09:44 PM
Are we thinking of the same Xykon? Roy threw him into a Gate and cased him to explode so I doubt fitting the guy on a dragon will make him stand out in his mind.

Are you posting from some flavor of "smart"phone?

CletusMusashi
2011-02-05, 10:27 PM
Xykon fakes it. He remembers big stuff just fine. But it's more chaotic evil fun if he pretends otherwise. Why settle for just injury when you can add insult as well? It's also, even when Roy's not around, a way of posturing and playing too-cool-for-school in front of Redcloak. Plus, anyone who's read SOD knows that downplaying the importance of those he's killed has a special subtext when Xykon is picking on Redcloak.

SPoD
2011-02-06, 06:52 AM
Only if the next time they meet is the last time they meet. Xykon won't remember Roy until their absolute final showdown.

JoeSkull
2011-02-06, 04:44 PM
Xykon fakes it. He remembers big stuff just fine. But it's more chaotic evil fun if he pretends otherwise. Why settle for just injury when you can add insult as well? It's also, even when Roy's not around, a way of posturing and playing too-cool-for-school in front of Redcloak. Plus, anyone who's read SOD knows that downplaying the importance of those he's killed has a special subtext when Xykon is picking on Redcloak.

well right before he buzzed the walls that last time he made a comment about roy that seemed to indicate he didnt remember him since there was no one around who could hear him.

suszterpatt
2011-02-06, 04:49 PM
well right before he buzzed the walls that last time he made a comment about roy that seemed to indicate he didnt remember him since there was no one around who could hear him.On the other hand, Xykon remembered the exact number of people called Fyron in Cliffport that he killed. Maybe he only remembers people he killed, in which case he would indeed remember Roy.

Morquard
2011-02-06, 06:14 PM
On the other hand, Xykon remembered the exact number of people called Fyron in Cliffport that he killed. Maybe he only remembers people he killed, in which case he would indeed remember Roy.

"Wow you sorta remind me of that Greenhilt fellow who was stupid enough to fall off my dragon. Funny thing really, I gotta tell you about it one day. So who were you again?"

Lateral
2011-02-06, 10:21 PM
Short answer: No.
Long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Ron Miel
2011-02-07, 08:59 AM
He always remembers Roy, its just that he can't be bothered to learn his name.

faustin
2011-02-07, 09:03 AM
Typical comical situation:

:roy: We meet again, Xykon, but this time I am prepared.
:xykon: And you are....?
:roy: :smallsigh: (Not again). You killed my fatherīs mentor in SoD, we fought in Dorukan Castle, where I threw your body through the Gate, after that in Azure City arc we fought again in the top of a Zombie Dragon, you killed me that time....
:xykon: Sorry, still no clue
:redcloak: (Sir, He is the boss of the elf who dared to challenge you and made you lost the phylactery for more than 50 strips)
:xykon: WHAAAATTTTT?!:smallfurious::smallfurious:

Forum Explorer
2011-02-07, 01:24 PM
The real question is will Xykon remember V and how angry Roy will be when V is remembered and Roy isn't?

ThePhantasm
2011-02-07, 02:18 PM
The real question is will Xykon remember V and how angry Roy will be when V is remembered and Roy isn't?

That would actually be quite funny. Wouldn't be surprised if this isn't how it happens.

faustin
2011-02-07, 02:29 PM
3 reason for Xykon to remember V:

1) He is a despicable WIZARD
2) He dared to challenge Xykon, not really for saving the world, but because :vaarsuvius: "My boundless magical proficiency is far higher than yours". You cannot expect to be forgotten by X after punch his ego.
3) Because of him, he lost his precious phylactery (form X, a far worse crime than simply destroy his body).

Hazzardevil
2011-02-07, 02:31 PM
I reckon that it's going to be like this:
:xykon:You look like that fighter I killed a few hundred Strips ago,
:roy:I am the fighter you killed a few hundred strips ago,
:xykon:and your the fighetr who got really angry at me for not remembering that I couldn't remember something,
:roy:Yes
:xykon:I take it you have gained a few levels so that you can actually be a challenge now?
:roy:no I simply have backup: A hafling ranger who weilds a few weapons that use a d2 for damage, a elf that has gone all evil and tried to do something odd recently, a rogue who can't sneak attack you and a dwarf cleric who's afraid of flying, so basically I'm all alone.
:xykon:I take it you are going to try and remove me from exictence again?
:roy:Yes
:xykon:You don't stand a chance against me, I can kill you with a first level spell slot, heck I can kill you without using any spell slots.
Second Dracolich, bullrush him off this dragon.

Dvandemon
2011-02-07, 09:53 PM
Maybe not, but if he remembers V, then that would be ironic compared to the strip where the Illithid chose Roy over V

SPoD
2011-02-08, 01:52 AM
Xykon probably won't remember V, for the same reason that Redcloak (who does remember the Order from their previous encounters) didn't recognize V when V attacked the tower: Soul-spliced V looks (and sounds) very different from regular V. Different clothes, different hairstyle, different eye color, different teeth, and voice different enough to warrant completely different speech balloons.

faustin
2011-02-08, 07:21 AM
Xykon probably won't remember V, for the same reason that Redcloak (who does remember the Order from their previous encounters) didn't recognize V when V attacked the tower: Soul-spliced V looks (and sounds) very different from regular V. Different clothes, different hairstyle, different eye color, different teeth, and voice different enough to warrant completely different speech balloons.

Xykon disabled the soul-splice (literally crushing V under a rock making him lose his concentration). After that V losed his dark-cool atributes, so Xykon should have no problem recognizing him (except, well....we are talking about Xykon :smallamused:)

theinsulabot
2011-02-08, 10:42 AM
Up until fairly recently I didn't buy the theory that xykon was faking it, now I think he is. The reason for that is when he makes an oblique reference to Roy when fighting off darth V. "I might go easy on some hero, but a credit to my rep as a sorcerer?" It could be coincidental, but I doubt it. It seems more likely that xykon, a person who is willing to go to absurd lengths for a laugh, is just doing it to screw with roy.

Red XIV
2011-02-08, 01:24 PM
Except that V had already lost the soul splice when he and O-chul tried to dump Xykon's phylactery into the rift.

Alagaesian
2011-02-08, 02:45 PM
Except that V had already lost the soul splice when he and O-chul tried to dump Xykon's phylactery into the rift.

Redcloak had already Word of Recalled back into his study when Vaarsuvius lost his Soul Splices. Thus, no one on Team Evil will recognize that the elf that helped storm the Dungeon of Dorukan and the elf that attacked their tower are one and the same person until Xykon has another showdown with the Order. Heck, they probably don't even know that Roy's been risen and the Order is back together.

Ron Miel
2011-02-08, 03:19 PM
Up until fairly recently I didn't buy the theory that xykon was faking it, now I think he is. The reason for that is when he makes an oblique reference to Roy when fighting off darth V. "I might go easy on some hero, but a credit to my rep as a sorcerer?" It could be coincidental, but I doubt it. It seems more likely that xykon, a person who is willing to go to absurd lengths for a laugh, is just doing it to screw with roy.

Except that he doesn't remember Roy's name when speaking to Redcloak. And has to be reminded of "The Order Of The Stick"
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0371.html

I think the evidence is that he remembers Roy, but not his name. Probably doesn't consider him important enough.

Gift Jeraff
2011-02-08, 07:38 PM
Xykon will remember V as the one that got away.

...Thank goodness we don't have the crack pairings thread anymore...

theNater
2011-02-09, 02:37 PM
It seems unlikely Roy is the only hero Xykon's ever fought. Redcloak even says(in #652 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0652.html)) "You'd be surprised how often people pop in to kill you when you're doing an evil scheme."

Xykon could be referring to any or all of the heroes who have attempted to foil him over the years. And if it does happen as often as Redcloak suggests, there's no reason Roy in particular should stick out in Xykon's mind.

HappyBlanket
2011-02-09, 03:43 PM
Redcloak had already Word of Recalled back into his study when Vaarsuvius lost his Soul Splices. Thus, no one on Team Evil will recognize that the elf that helped storm the Dungeon of Dorukan and the elf that attacked their tower are one and the same person until Xykon has another showdown with the Order. Heck, they probably don't even know that Roy's been risen and the Order is back together.

Xykon likely doesn't remember Roy past "guy I killed." I'm very inclined to look towards Rule of Funny in regards to his memory, especially seeing how unlikely it is to be an important plot point.
Redcloak, not being Xykon, certainly remembers (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0426.html) Roy and the Order. However, he also saw V at the moment her Soul Splice expired (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0653.html), despite using Word Of Recall shortly after and not returning until she had left. Redcloak knows what V looks like.

Deliverance
2011-02-10, 06:26 AM
Personally I favour the theory that next time they meet Xykon will Remember Roy by name, class, and place of death (playing on Xykon's phenomenal memory for remembering the number of guys named Fyron he has killed in Cliffport), but still not remember what it is Roy wants.

:roy: Remember me, Xykon?
:xykon: Hey, I remember you!
:roy: What? You do?
:xykon: You are the one who stole my crown and scratched my ride, whom I killed back at Azure city!
:roy: You can't keep a good man down.
:xykon: It is all coming back to me now. You are the fighter Roy Greenhilt. Have you followed my advice and gained some levels since then for the rematch?
:roy: Not the point.
:xykon: There was something else.. You were the one who kept getting pissed off with me for not remembering... something. Right?
:roy: NOT AGAIN!

Phishfood
2011-02-10, 09:26 AM
I was thinking on this and I think xykon remembers Roy fine, but not as roy.

Take the thing with the crown, it was the crown that he remembered not the person. Hence I think he will remember "the dude that fell off my dragon, hah!" but not "Roy Greenhilt".

In fact when Elan is singing his song and Xykon is singing along he says "guy I killed" not "Roy"

Deliverance
2011-02-10, 10:55 AM
Good points, Phishfood.

I'm sure Roy will just love it if Xykon greets him with a:

:xykon: Hey, I remember you! You are that guy from the catchy song, aren't you?

pendell
2011-02-10, 11:44 AM
Xykon? Who's that? Did he used to be in this comic strip?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

the_tick_rules
2011-02-10, 12:54 PM
I'm going with yeah. They've messed up his mojo enough to have left an impression.

Gift Jeraff
2011-02-10, 02:32 PM
Xykon likely doesn't remember Roy past "guy I killed." I'm very inclined to look towards Rule of Funny in regards to his memory, especially seeing how unlikely it is to be an important plot point.
It's not his memory as a whole, he's just consistently terrible with names. He says as much in a bonus strip.

The only exceptions I can think of are Dorukan and Lirian, but I'd guess that's because he learned of and used their personal information to his advantage.

Prowl
2011-02-11, 10:11 AM
If Xykon doesn't remember, he can always catch up with TiVo

ricorum
2011-02-11, 02:52 PM
"Wow you sorta remind me of that Greenhilt fellow who was stupid enough to fall off my dragon. Funny thing really, I gotta tell you about it one day. So who were you again?"

I think this is the best way to describe it. He might be faking, but he'll act like he's not.

grimbold
2011-02-11, 03:25 PM
i think xykon will go
:xykon: wait you pushed me into a gate and attacked me from a dragon? hmm those things have happened to me a lot, could you give me more details?

faustin
2011-02-11, 04:45 PM
Maybe Xykon remember the incident because Elanīs song, which even X admitted was too catchy.

silvadel
2011-02-11, 04:50 PM
Xykon will more likely figure V is running the OOTS and completely pass over Roy. G Mallory come back for another try eh? And you brought these losers?

Minitroll
2011-02-28, 01:54 PM
Personally I favour the theory that next time they meet Xykon will Remember Roy by name, class, and place of death (playing on Xykon's phenomenal memory for remembering the number of guys named Fyron he has killed in Cliffport), but still not remember what it is Roy wants.

:roy: Remember me, Xykon?
:roy: What? You do?
:xykon: You are the one who stole my crown and scratched my ride, whom I killed back at Azure city!
:roy: You can't keep a good man down.
:xykon: It is all coming back to me now. You are the fighter Roy Greenhilt. Have you followed my advice and gained some levels since then for the rematch?
:roy: Not the point.
:xykon: There was something else.. You were the one who kept getting pissed off with me for not remembering... something. Right?
:roy: NOT AGAIN!

Get rid of Xykon saying the name, but other than that, perfect.

calar
2011-02-28, 04:21 PM
Dunno about Roy, though it does raise the interesting question about whether he will remember V or not.

slimabob
2011-03-06, 07:36 PM
Who's Roy?

Oh, that Pinkhandle guy, right.

Didn't he fall off my dragon once?

Indeed. I would be surprised if he DIDN'T say something along those lines.

xelliea
2011-04-05, 09:53 AM
I think the question is, will he remember he killed him next time they meet?

MReav
2011-04-05, 10:02 AM
End Game:

Xykon (Mr Burns Voice): "Redcloak, who is that fleshbag?"

Redcloak (Smithers Voice): "That's Roy Greenhilt sir. He's the leader of the Order Of The Stick, he's sworn revenge upon you in the name of his father for killing his mentor, his bard's brother was the head of a mercenary group we hired, he thwarted our attempts at Dorukan's Gate, he specifically threw you into the Gate's defensive wards, he dueled you at the Battle of Azure City, you blew him up when he cut off the head of your zombie dragon mount, his rogue served as the leader of one of the resistance factions in Azure City and nearly killed Tsukiko several times, his wizard got your phylactery lost, he warned Girard of our coming, which subsequently cost us that Gate, and his dwarf is now serving as our zombie butler."

Xykon (Mr Burns Voice): "Hmm... doesn't ring a bell."

Forum Explorer
2011-04-05, 01:29 PM
End Game:

Xykon (Mr Burns Voice): "Redcloak, who is that fleshbag?"

Redcloak (Smithers Voice): "That's Roy Greenhilt sir. He's the leader of the Order Of The Stick, he's sworn revenge upon you in the name of his father for killing his mentor, his bard's brother was the head of a mercenary group we hired, he thwarted our attempts at Dorukan's Gate, he specifically threw you into the Gate's defensive wards, he dueled you at the Battle of Azure City, you blew him up when he cut off the head of your zombie dragon mount, his rogue served as the leader of one of the resistance factions in Azure City and nearly killed Tsukiko several times, his wizard got your phylactery lost, he warned Girard of our coming, which subsequently cost us that Gate, and his dwarf is now serving as our zombie butler."

Xykon (Mr Burns Voice): "Hmm... doesn't ring a bell."

Shouldn't that be halfling butler?

MReav
2011-04-05, 02:02 PM
Shouldn't that be halfling butler?

No. Durkon is returning to the Dwarven Homelands posthumously.

Nimrod's Son
2011-04-05, 11:46 PM
No. Durkon is returning to the Dwarven Homelands posthumously.
And bringing death and destruction with him, at that. Whereas Belkar ain't getting reanimated in the first place.

Which is not to say I necessarily believe the theory that Durkon will end up serving Xykon as an undead, but it is at least plausible.

Valley
2011-04-06, 07:18 AM
:xykon: Hey! I know you!
:roy: Good!
:xykon: How much?
:roy: How...excuse me?
:xykon: How much for the pizza? With the extra meatballs?
:roy: WHAT!?!?!
:xykon: Sorry, I thought you were the pizza delivery guy *OUCH* Hey! Watch the sword!
:roy: I HATE YOU SO MUCH!
:xykon: *OUCH* No tip for you! *OUCH*

xelliea
2011-04-13, 11:47 AM
:xykon: Hey! I know you!
:roy: Good!
:xykon: How much?
:roy: How...excuse me?
:xykon: How much for the pizza? With the extra meatballs?
:roy: WHAT!?!?!
:xykon: Sorry, I thought you were the pizza delivery guy *OUCH* Hey! Watch the sword!
:roy: I HATE YOU SO MUCH!
:xykon: *OUCH* No tip for you! *OUCH*

Wait, can liches feel pain.

MReav
2011-04-13, 12:19 PM
Wait, can liches feel pain.

In this universe yes, but it doesn't seem to be common. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0459.html) He didn't seem to have that issue with Roy, whom he was having a casual conversation while getting hacked at. Maybe Smites are the kind of thing that gets through more easily than non-smites.

G-Man Graves
2011-04-13, 06:22 PM
And bringing death and destruction with him, at that. Whereas Belkar ain't getting reanimated in the first place.

Blah blah blah, establishing opinions as fact, blah blah blah, undead don't breath, fufils prophecy, blah.

MReav
2011-04-13, 06:47 PM
And bringing death and destruction with him, at that.

And "working" for Xykon, who is heading for Kraagor's Gate isn't bringing Death And Destruction with him?

Nimrod's Son
2011-04-13, 11:07 PM
Blah blah blah, establishing opinions as fact, blah blah blah, undead don't breath, fufils prophecy, blah.
Too wordy. Needs editing.

And "working" for Xykon, who is heading for Kraagor's Gate isn't bringing Death And Destruction with him?
:smallconfused: What part of my post makes you think I was disagreeing with you?

Grogmir
2011-04-14, 07:43 AM
I think he forgets names but will remember Roy the person but not his name.

I'm going to put my chips in the following situation, that could lead to a shoutout to one of the 'oldest' jokes -timeline wise.

:roy: Finally!
:xykon: You're? Wait don't tell me....

SOD :xykon: It's Ray isn't it?

MReav
2011-04-14, 07:57 AM
:smallconfused: What part of my post makes you think I was disagreeing with you?

Sorry. Misread the intentions.

Pantler
2011-04-14, 08:06 AM
The real question is: will Roy remember Xykon?
I mean, not really. But the "Xykon doesn't give a crap about remembering" joke has been played so many times I really expect the Giant to twist it somehow.

ThePhantasm
2011-04-14, 08:13 AM
The real question is: will Roy remember Xykon?
I mean, not really. But the "Xykon doesn't give a crap about remembering" joke has been played so many times I really expect the Giant to twist it somehow.

Roy is snarky enough to have remembered the running gag and use it - he may turn it on Xykon next time. Xykon is conceited enough that it might actually make him angry.

grimbold
2011-04-14, 08:21 AM
i think he probably remembers OoTs by now that they have almost killed him twice,
he just is an annoying jerk

Kish
2011-04-14, 05:39 PM
In this universe yes, but it doesn't seem to be common. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0459.html)
They cannot, however, eat.