PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Tome of Battle maneuver query

Absynthyne
2011-02-05, 08:58 PM
Ahoy-ahoy Giantitp,

I would like to dual-wield a 1-handed sword and a ranged weapon (likely a firearm). My Swordsage levels give me access to the 8th level Tiger-Claw maneuver Raging Mongoose, which is listed as follows:

Raging Mongoose
Tiger Claw (Boost)
[B]Level: Swordsage 8, Warblade 8
Prerequisite: Three Tiger Claw maneuvers
Initiation Action: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: End of turn

You make a flurry of deadly attacks. After initiating this boost, you can make two additional attacks with each weapon you wield (to a maximum of four extra attacks if you wield two or more weapons). These extra attacks are made at your highest attack bonus for each of your respective weapons. You can spread these attacks out among as many foes as you wish.

I am proficient with both weapons wielded, and possess all the necessary feats to allow me to attack with them.

So my question is this: Can I use a firearm and a sword together with this, or any, maneuver?
Also, I understand that firing a ranged weapon in melee will provoke an attack of opportunity. Is there any feat/item/class ability in any 3.5 source, to negate this?

Thanks in advance!
Any and all advice is appreciated!

AslanCross
2011-02-05, 09:07 PM
By RAW, it seems to lack any clause that says it's a melee only maneuver, so I'd say yes. (Isn't reloading a firearm usually a complex full round endeavor, though?)

The Pathfinder SRD has the Gunslinger feat, but that's third party.

HunterOfJello
2011-02-05, 09:13 PM
You can use a ranged weapon and melee weapon in the same full-attack action. Therefore, along with the content of the maneuver, yes you can. This is all assuming that you can reload your pistol with a free action.

Also, remember that you can take a 5 ft step during a Full-Attack Action. So, you can slash several times, step back away from the enemy, and shoot several times.

Absynthyne
2011-02-05, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm looking mostly for DM opinion on the first part - can you use a range and melee weapon with maneuvers?

Also, during research I just found:

Combat Archery [Epic] (Complete Warrior)
You can fire a bow in melee safely.
Prerequisites: Dodge, Mobility, Point Blank Shot.
Benefit: You do not provoke attacks of opportunity when firing a bow.
Normal: Without this feat, you provoke attacks of opportunity from all opponents who threaten you whenever you use a bow.

Would you allow this feat to be used for a firearm?

And secondly - this feat is listed in the Complete Warrior, but is Epic in nature. I would assume that it could be taken as a fighter bonus feat...but alas, it does not list as such.
Because a feat is [Epic], can it not be a fighter bonus feat?
I ask specifically because Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting does not specifically state that it is a fighter bonus feat, yet the other Two-Weapon Fighting feats are.

Continued thanks for the input!

MeeposFire
2011-02-05, 09:23 PM
Also note that mongoose does not require a full attack. It requires some sort of attack but it could be a standard action attack, a strike, or a full attack. heck you could use them all at range if you want. This is one of the relative few maneuvers that work just as good at range as in melee.

Absynthyne
2011-02-05, 09:25 PM
I found my own answer... :smallredface:

In the Epic Level Handbook under Epic Fighter (pg 11):
"Epic Fighter Bonus Feat List: Armor Skin, Combat Archery, Damage Reduction...."

Sorry about that :)

Still looking for input on the rest of it, though!

AslanCross
2011-02-05, 09:27 PM
Typically, strikes have a clause that says "make a melee attack." The ones that don't involve this are the blasty-type Desert Wind maneuvers.

Boosts, however, rarely mention melee weapons. As such it is possible that with this particular boost, it doesn't matter.

MeeposFire
2011-02-05, 09:30 PM
You can not use ranged weapons with many maneuvers, however the mongoose line is a powerful exception. I think there is a thread discussing ranged swordsages that might be a help to you.

You need to look at individual maneuvers. Most say "you make a melee attack". If it does ranged is impossible. If it lacks that, such as the monggose line that just says "make additional attacks" which is generic and not just melee, then you can use ranged weapons with them.

Absynthyne
2011-02-05, 09:38 PM
Thanks a lot for the input, everyone! I'll show this thread to my DM and he will make the call, but based on the positive reaction, I'm sure he will rule in my favor!

I'll read through the ranged Swordsage thread Meepos, thanks for the direction!

mabriss lethe
2011-02-05, 09:45 PM
There's also a feat in Drow of the Underdark, versatile combatant. It functions as TWF when used in conjunction with a rapier and hand crossbow, but allows you to fire the crossbow in melee without provoking AoOs

MeeposFire
2011-02-05, 09:50 PM
There's also a feat in Drow of the Underdark, versatile combatant. It functions as TWF when used in conjunction with a rapier and hand crossbow, but allows you to fire the crossbow in melee without provoking AoOs

Handcrossbows and swordsage are very thematic for Drow that is a good find.

Greenish
2011-02-05, 09:52 PM
Handcrossbows and swordsage are very thematic for Drow that is a good find.It's not the only handy feat in DotU either. Hand Crossbow Focus works as a both Weapon Focus and Rapid Reload for your hand crossbow, and qualifies you for Crossbow Sniper (PHBII).

[Edit]: Of course, by RAW, none of this applies to firearms, but given how poor most of them tend to be, I could definitely see a DM allowing for broader application.