PDA

View Full Version : Illumian Ardent question

Draculmaulkee
2011-02-05, 10:32 PM
If psionic/magic transparency is used, how does improved sigil (krau) affect the ardent? Does the sigil add +1 or +2 to the ardent's manifester level for the purposes of accquiring new powers?

Halna LeGavilk
2011-02-05, 10:38 PM
Ask your DM. Psionics/Magic transparency doesn't convert stuff like this, just effects of spells and powers, I believe.

Cirrhosis
2011-02-06, 02:44 PM
actually just built one of these. my GM pointed out (quite rightly and with no argument from me. just disappointment) that the transparency rules don't make you a psionic caster. you are still a manifester and manifest your powers instead of casting your spells, meaning that things that affect your spell levels and caster levels don't apply to your psionic power levels or manifester levels. all the transparency rules do is make magic and psionic *effects* functionally the same. long story short, illumian sigil stuff isn't terribly useful to psionicists.

taking the hoon sigil will probably serve you better, as the bonus it gives to wisdom and constitution based skill checks means you have to spend fewer resources on things like manifesting defensively. if you take the magic mantle, the vaul sigil gives a bonus to charisma based skill checks, which makes your new UMD as a class skill a much better option.

good luck, sir.

CycloneJoker
2011-02-06, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure, but I think taking the Magic Mantle might fix the problem.

FMArthur
2011-02-06, 03:56 PM
It's really hard to say how far psi-magic transparency goes, but I think what you are trying to do with it right now is probably a pretty good argument for why it shouldn't work.

dextercorvia
2011-02-06, 04:26 PM
If psionic/magic transparency is used, how does improved sigil (krau) affect the ardent? Does the sigil add +1 or +2 to the ardent's manifester level for the purposes of accquiring new powers?

Even if CL=ML, the answer is 0 unless you have taken classes that don't advance ML.