PDA

View Full Version : Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition

ninja_penguin
2011-02-06, 10:57 AM
So I just have a couple questions regarding the new edition of M&M from Green Ronin. I was a minor fan of M&M 2nd, just never got into many games due to our group not really being a fan of the genre, and some bits I just didn't care for. It seems like 3rd edition has fixed some of those from what I've read, so I've been wanting to pick up 3rd edition, but I'm a little bit confused as to which book to pick up.

I see that there's the DC Adventures Heroes handbook, and then there's an unreleased paperback of M&M 3rd edition when I looked it up on Amazon. Does this contain all of the same material? I'm leaning more toward a hardcover book in the event of both books having the same material for longer survivability, but if the DC adventures doesn't have full non-DC character creation available, I guess I'd pass.

Anybody know anything about what I want if I'm mostly just looking to play/DM M&M 3rd in a rather generic setting?

Rappy
2011-02-06, 09:55 PM
Anybody know anything about what I want if I'm mostly just looking to play/DM M&M 3rd in a rather generic setting?
I'd go with the M&M 3E rulebook, then. A good chunk of the DC Adventures Hero's Handbook is backstory and information on the DC Universe, and stats for some of the major (and a few less major) DC heroes and villains.

Beleriphon
2011-02-07, 02:00 PM
I see that there's the DC Adventures Heroes handbook, and then there's an unreleased paperback of M&M 3rd edition when I looked it up on Amazon. Does this contain all of the same material? I'm leaning more toward a hardcover book in the event of both books having the same material for longer survivability, but if the DC adventures doesn't have full non-DC character creation available, I guess I'd pass.

Both books are identical rules wise, characters in DC Adventures and M&M 3E are exactly the same from a rules perspective. The only difference is the DCA is hardback and has DC specific examples and background.

I will warn you though, the M&M 3E Heroes Handbook has no villains in the back, you need to wait for the GM Guide/Kit for those rules, or for the low price of $0.99 buy some fun villains (with HeroLab portfolio) from the Green Ronin online store.

J.Gellert
2011-02-07, 02:35 PM
will warn you though, the M&M 3E Heroes Handbook has no villains in the back, you need to wait for the GM Guide/Kit for those rules, or for the low price of $0.99 buy some fun villains (with HeroLab portfolio) from the Green Ronin online store.

Or you may browse through this interesting area (http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewforum.php?f=14) of the M&M forums. Bunch of statted characters.