PDA

View Full Version : Crusader, future Deepstone Sentinel build advice

Gecks
2011-02-06, 12:11 PM
Hello there, apologies in advance for the long post!

I’ve tried doing some forum searches, but since TOB/crusader seems to be a hot topic of discussion on this forum, I’ve been getting mostly timeouts, so I am asking for some advice directly. My new character is a dwarf crusader who, for mainly RP reasons (though it is really not a bad PRC), is going to take a full 5 levels of deepstone sentinel, probably right at level 11 when the qualifications are met. We will be running straight from level 1 through to probably level 15 or so at least. We will be a fairly small group (circa 3 players, probably with a DM-run NPC thrown in), so the crusader will probably have to wear a few different “hats”, especially in the early levels. I am therefore planning on making a fairly balanced character, able to inflict significant damage, tank well, and provider some minor in-combat healing and general support. I am looking for moderate optimization (TOB is allowed but I am the only player real familiar with it, and the player experience level will vary a fair amount, so I want a character good enough to be useful, but not one that will completely outshine the other characters, especially if one makes a core beatstick or something). I plan to sword-and-board the very early levels, to maximize survivability, then switch to a reach weapon later combined with the stand still feat for tanking/battlefield control.

With that in mind, my questions are:

1. Stone Power or Power Attack? Our group does not use flaws or retraining, so I don’t think I will have room for both. I am torn between taking stone power at first level for the classic stone power/steely resolve shenanigans, and using it as an entrance into shards of granite, or grabbing extra granted maneuver at first level and getting power attack at level 3 or 6 (depending how much I feel I need stand still). It seems to me stone power will make the character almost unkillable at early levels, but power attack might me the better long-term option, especially since he might be the only melee character in the party, and might be required for damage as will as tanking.

2. What would be the best way to pick up the stone dragon stance required for the deepstone sentinel PRC? I see 3 options here:
a) Pick up Stonefoot stance at second level- Stonefoot stance stinks, and I have to choose between martial spirit and iron guard glare, but overall requires the least sacrifice to qualify for the PRC. Makes the indomitable redoubt class ability of the deepstone sentinel pretty dang pointless, though.
b) Pick up Roots of the Mountain stance at level 8- Roots of the Mountain stance would seem the have the best synergy with indomitable redoubt- the -10 to enemy tumble checks rocks, I would get bonuses to resist things like trips or bull rushes that could end the stance, and the DR 2/- is a mild help in just about any situations. But I would miss out on thickets of blades, which is a much better stance overall, and would give me a good option when I am in terrain which would prevent me from using the deepstone sentinel stances.
c) Pick up Roots of the Mountain stance at level 9 with the martial stance feat- This is what I am actually leaning towards; it would give me thickets of blades, AND a good stance to combo with the deepstone sentinel stance via indomitable redoubt, so I would have a good stance for any situation. But Feats are precious to a non-human crusader, and I hate losing one for a low-level stance.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Optimator
2011-02-06, 05:11 PM
Since you're going to level 15, I'd say Power attack is better. Stone Power might still be worth it if you think you'd want the Stone Dragon tactical feat, which ain't bad. Might be redundant though if you use the Mountain Hammer series frequently.

Darrin
2011-02-07, 08:57 AM
1. Stone Power or Power Attack? Our group does not use flaws or retraining, so I don’t think I will have room for both. I am torn between taking stone power at first level for the classic stone power/steely resolve shenanigans, and using it as an entrance into shards of granite, or grabbing extra granted maneuver at first level and getting power attack at level 3 or 6 (depending how much I feel I need stand still).

I wouldn't bother with Shards of Granite. Two of the three tactical options can be just as easily done with Mountain Hammer. (Well, ok, Mountain Hammer = standard action, Shards of Granite can be used on a full attack, but Mountain Hammer has no attack penalty and does extra damage.)

Stone Power vs. Power Attack... tough call. Mechanically, Power Attack is probably better, but I kind of like the fluff of Stone Power a little better than "Grrr! I hit him harder!"

There's a nice little combo with Stone Power and Lady's Gambit (http://http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Lady~s_Gambit) (Dragon #317, take 10 damage for +5 attack/damage, combine with Stone Power for -5 attack/+10 temp HP, net +5 damage), but it's from an obscure (and frequently banned) source and it caps out at ECL 10.

2. What would be the best way to pick up the stone dragon stance required for the deepstone sentinel PRC?

Stonefoot Stance is probably the least painful... meh. The +2 on Str checks and +2 AC against larger foes might be useful every once in a while.

Check if your DM would let you pick up a higher-level Stone Dragon stance with a Warblade dip. You could get Roots of the Mountain at ECL 9 that way without spending Martial Stance on it.

If you're going to spend a feat on a stance at ECL 9, then I'd go with Giant's Stance. Stacked with Strongarm Bracers, Heavy weapon property, or Greater Mighty Wallop, the damage increases start to get pretty substantial.

Gecks
2011-02-08, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the good advice guys! :smallsmile: