PDA

View Full Version : how do you kill acererak?!!! Yes, it's tomb of horrors!!!!

Dr Pavo
2011-02-06, 02:34 PM
Ok... for real... how cna you kill it?? it's inmune to normal damage?? spell resistance? smite evil works??! i really want to know... it's even posible??!

Lycan 01
2011-02-06, 02:37 PM
Have you tried dropping a whale on him? :smallconfused:

I once heard of some players somehow using a summon animal spell to drop a whale on somebody. Perhaps you could try that, if only to distract and confuse him? Other than that, I don't have a clue.

Flickerdart
2011-02-06, 02:37 PM
Which edition?

Jair Barik
2011-02-06, 02:40 PM
Summoning a whale won't work in 3.5 as they can only be summoned into a water environment.
In older editions you could use the magic crown to off him but they changed that in later editions (again, 3.5 onwards the crown wont work on him)

Dr Pavo
2011-02-06, 02:46 PM
Which edition?
It's 3.5e... any ideas??

vikingofdoom
2011-02-06, 03:02 PM
Use spells that don't allow SR. Because you SR doesn't apply, failing your roll to overcome SR makes no difference. Good spells include the orb series for damage.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-02-06, 03:10 PM
Have you tried dropping a whale on him? :smallconfused:

I once heard of some players somehow using a summon animal spell to drop a whale on somebody. Perhaps you could try that, if only to distract and confuse him? Other than that, I don't have a clue.
Summon (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0033.html) Bigger (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0037.html) Fish (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0208.html)?

Jack_Simth
2011-02-06, 03:28 PM
Ok... for real... how cna you kill it?? it's inmune to normal damage?? spell resistance? smite evil works??! i really want to know... it's even posible??!
Well, you can Download the Module (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20051031a) and read up on the beast, and have your Cleric do no-roll action-denial, while everyone else whales on the beast, but that'd be cheating.

But yeah - the Orb line of spells (Spell Compendium) will work out fairly well.

Gavinfoxx
2011-02-06, 04:04 PM
You do know you don't have to kill him?

I mean check out this old thread... it only starts to get interesting after the basic useless answers happen, but it DOES eventually get useful...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163734

Ozreth
2011-02-06, 04:08 PM
A bit off topic, but is the 3.5 ToH as brutal as earlier ones?

Radar
2011-02-06, 04:17 PM
A Warlock with Vitriolic Blast can deal reliable damage with no SR or save. At least one character should be ready to interrupt Acererak's casting. Tossing a few Dispels at him seems like a good start - if Warlock's Voracious Dispelling is SR:no, then it's the best choice for it.

It is also important to pray to avoid a TPK - Acererak is supposed to be deadly and unfair.

The Glyphstone
2011-02-06, 04:23 PM
Does Acererak in 3.5 ToH use the Epic Demilich template, if so...

Magic Immunity (Ex)
Demiliches are immune to all magical and supernatural effects, except as follows. A shatter spell affects a demilich as if it were a crystalline creature, but deals half the damage normally indicated. A dispel evil spell deals 3d6 points of damage (Fort save for half damage). Holy smite spells affect demiliches normally.

It's worded differently than Spell Immunity, which only protects against things which allow Spell Resistance. There's no "SR-No"ing your way past Magic Immunity, except for the three indicated spells.

Gavinfoxx
2011-02-06, 04:25 PM
I guess even the moderator succumbs to the double post demon sometime...

The Glyphstone
2011-02-06, 04:26 PM
What double post? Where? You saw nothing, I say, nothing! Go back to your fun, citizen. There is no double posting mind control.

gallagher
2011-02-06, 04:36 PM
how beefy is his turn resistance? i vaguely remember my friend telling me about his radiant servant of pelor...

The Glyphstone
2011-02-06, 04:42 PM
how beefy is his turn resistance? i vaguely remember my friend telling me about his radiant servant of pelor...

Again assuming the standard Demilich, he has Turn Resistance +20.

tanderson11
2011-02-06, 05:56 PM
The group I DMed this game for came up with an incredibly creative solution that killed the Demilich.

I've spoilered the information because I think it would ruin much of the fun and challenge if you read this, but go ahead if you need to.

Locate and recover the Gem of Cursed Wishing which you can find in the columned hall, glowing amidst a field of skeletons. Summon some intelligent creature, this works particularly well if said creature is a demon or other covetous entity (a babu worked just fine in the case of my PCs.

Give the Gem of Cursed Wishing to said creature, and run as far as you can. If anyone can cast Rope Trick, this is a good place to flee.

Upon the creature's turn it will attempt to use a wish and create a 15ft. radius ball of hellfire. This deals 200 points of damage on a failed DC 23 Reflex save. The 70 points of damage the demilich takes even if it succeeds its saving throw (on a natural 20) is more than enough to kill it.

I do not know if this is allowed by RAW as the demilich has explicit immunity to supernatural effects:
"The demilich construct is immune to all spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural effects, just as if the attacker had failed to overcome spell resistance, except as follows."
It seems up to interpretation, but I would rule that an effect that does not allow spell resistance is exempted from this effect.

EDIT
To those talking about turn resistance:
Again game changing spoilers lurk below

The demilich in the adventure is not actually undead, but is rather a construct. It is nearly impossible to kill with DR 20/Keen or Epic, spell immunity as mentioned in the other spoiler with a few spells exempt (Power Word Kill, Shatter, Holy Word), which deal damage proportional to spell level.

Starbuck_II
2011-02-06, 06:02 PM
EDIT
To those talking about turn resistance:
Again game changing spoilers lurk below

The demilich in the adventure is not actually undead, but is rather a construct. It is nearly impossible to kill with DR 20/Keen or Epic, spell immunity as mentioned in the other spoiler with a few spells exempt (Power Word Kill, Shatter, Holy Word), which deal damage proportional to spell level.

Power Attack is works...

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-06, 06:07 PM
The group I DMed this game for came up with an incredibly creative solution that killed the Demilich.

I've spoilered the information because I think it would ruin much of the fun and challenge if you read this, but go ahead if you need to.

Locate and recover the Gem of Cursed Wishing which you can find in the columned hall, glowing amidst a field of skeletons. Summon some intelligent creature, this works particularly well if said creature is a demon or other covetous entity (a babu worked just fine in the case of my PCs.

Give the Gem of Cursed Wishing to said creature, and run as far as you can. If anyone can cast Rope Trick, this is a good place to flee.

Upon the creature's turn it will attempt to use a wish and create a 15ft. radius ball of hellfire. This deals 200 points of damage on a failed DC 23 Reflex save. The 70 points of damage the demilich takes even if it succeeds its saving throw (on a natural 20) is more than enough to kill it.

I do not know if this is allowed by RAW as the demilich has explicit immunity to supernatural effects:
"The demilich construct is immune to all spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural effects, just as if the attacker had failed to overcome spell resistance, except as follows."
It seems up to interpretation, but I would rule that an effect that does not allow spell resistance is exempted from this effect.

I like this. :smallbiggrin:

Mad Wizard
2011-02-06, 06:34 PM
I have another, related question. Would an Orb of Force spell kill Acererak? It doesn't allow SR, sooo...

Starbuck_II
2011-02-06, 06:40 PM
I have another, related question. Would an Orb of Force spell kill Acererak? It doesn't allow SR, sooo...

It would hurt him, but there is still a hp amount he would need to be dealt.