PDA

View Full Version : what am i missing?

flare X2
2011-02-06, 04:03 PM
I have been DMing recently but I have never been a PC so should I try to find a campagn? Is it worth it?

Comet
2011-02-06, 06:10 PM
It sure is.

Disclaimer: Your experience might vary, depending on group. I play only with close friends, but there are plenty of horror stories out there about players being stuck with monsters that should have never been let out of their basements. If your new Game Master and/or players happen to ruin the game for you, don't hesitate to walk and find a new group.

tuesdayscoming
2011-02-06, 06:14 PM
Its great fun, really. If I had my druthers I would probably try to play about 2/3 of the time and DM the remaining 3rd.

Sure, as the DM you control just about everything, but it requires a huge amount of planning time, attention to detail, and (at times) stress. As a player you just show up and enjoy the labors of another.

Ozreth
2011-02-06, 06:23 PM
I've always preferred DMing and probably always will. For me d&d is like story time, and I like crafting stories.

That being said, it IS fun to just show up to a game and play. As a DM I enjoy seeing how other DM's do their thing and what creativity they can bring to the game.

Comet
2011-02-06, 06:26 PM
I've always preferred DMing and probably always will. For me d&d is like story time, and I like crafting stories.

That being said, it IS fun to just show up to a game and play. As a DM I enjoy seeing how other DM's do their thing and what creativity they can bring to the game.

To be fair, some groups tend to assing quite a bit of creative freedom to the players. Parts of the world, or even particular plot twists, could well be designed by the player, either spontaneously in the moment or with even more freedom and responsibility between sessions.
Granted, D&D sort of assumes the "shut up and listen!" approach to GMing (which works, really, if you have a good GM) by default, but it's still not absolute.

Ozreth
2011-02-06, 06:30 PM
Well of course :p

Captain Kidd
2011-02-06, 06:36 PM
It's also good to experience the other side of the screen. It's easy at times, at least for me, to forget how utterly dependent upon you the players are. You are the window to the world. So it's good to see what they see.

Plus, as other have said, at times it's nice to be the one that only has to show up and spend less than 5 minutes pre-game getting ready. Reduces burnout and might even give you some ideas.

Lateral
2011-02-06, 09:10 PM
I DM a lot because I'm the only one in my group who knows how (what with the rest of my group being my 9-year-old brother and his friends who all have the attention spans of lemmings, they barely understand how to be PCs. And we're playing 4e, not 3.5, because they're incapable of understanding 3.5. :smallmad:)
...Anyway, I only rarely get a chance to play. I started going into the PbP forum here on GitP, but I STILL usually get stuck as DM because nobody else seems to want to. :smallannoyed:

Not that I don't like DM'ing, but I could really use a break.