PDA

View Full Version : Blue-Lipped Guy from Dungeons & Dragons Movie

Dr.Epic
2011-02-06, 05:12 PM
So I know the guy from the Dungeons & Dragons movie was on some drug (the character, not the actor) that's why his lips were blue - it's a side effect of the drug. I also know it's a real drug in D&D, I just can't remember the name of it. If someone could post the name and book it's in that be great. Thanks.

The Glyphstone
2011-02-06, 05:18 PM
Ah, Mr. Blue Sno Cone Lips. You made snarking that movie so much fun...

Angry Bob
2011-02-06, 05:27 PM
Sannish, Book of Vile Darkness Pg. 43. Causes blue stains on the lips.

Chilingsworth
2011-02-06, 05:29 PM
It's likely Sannish, mentioned in the BoVD, Pg. 43 At least, the drug as writen there often leaves addicts' lips blue.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Adamantrue
2011-02-06, 05:31 PM
Its nice to see they made the effort to be mindful of even the smallest and most obscure details of the game in the movie.

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-06, 05:31 PM
"Hey, you have something on your..."

The Rose Dragon
2011-02-06, 05:34 PM
Its nice to see they made the effort to be mindful of even the smallest and most obscure details of the game in the movie.

This is probably sarcasm, but in case it's not, I'll just note that Book of Vile Darkness came after the Dungeons & Dragons movie. :smalltongue:

Adamantrue
2011-02-06, 05:38 PM
This is probably sarcasm, but in case it's not, I'll just note that Book of Vile Darkness came after the Dungeons & Dragons movie. :smalltongue: So you are telling me that they made an attempt to support the movie by introducing material based on it?

The book truly is vile.

Thurbane
2011-02-06, 05:49 PM
Ugh...what an awful movie. There's a scathing review of mine somewhere on IMDB for it.

I especially "love" the tavern scene - instead of making any effort to have recognizable D&D races in there, it looks like they went around the dumpsters behind the studio looking for bits of sci-fi alien costume leftovers. :smallmad:

...I'll have to bite my tongue, I could spend the full character limit of a post writing an invective against that film. :smallyuk:

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-06, 05:49 PM
Better of watching the Nostalgia Critic's review of it.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-06, 05:52 PM
So you are telling me that they made an attempt to support the movie by introducing material based on it?

The book truly is vile.
They also made a book statting out the characters and items from the cartoon series.:smalleek:

Thurbane
2011-02-06, 06:07 PM
They also made a book statting out the characters and items from the cartoon series.:smalleek:
I have that, and it's awesome (the DVD set and the 3.5 booklet). Not 100% sure I agree with al the stats, but I still thought it was a nice touch. :smallsmile:

(You can probably tell from my avvi that I'm a fan of the cartoon series.)

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-06, 06:11 PM
(You can probably tell from my avvi that I'm a fan of the cartoon series.)

Yeah, that's the DM.

jguy
2011-02-06, 06:15 PM
I think someone watched the Nostalgia critic as well.

Starbuck_II
2011-02-06, 06:28 PM
I love how the dwarf is a total hobo who kill things for their money. I mean they even found him searching in a trashcan.

The Glyphstone
2011-02-06, 06:34 PM

That book is fantastic. It's got the only way in 3.5 for ranged characters to get Power Attack, and a mega-spell component pouch hat for infinite free Forcecages.

Dr Bwaa
2011-02-06, 06:36 PM
On the other hand, if it's late enough (or whatever), both of those movies are extremely entertaining (so long as you're well aware in advance that they will be non-Good at the very best).

Both movies are also much improved if you spend the whole time with your buddies inferring all the OOC action going on.

second movie spoiler in case anyone cares:Take the cleric, for example. He's the guy who wanted to play video games, but everyone convinced him to roll up a character. The DM bribed him by giving him a beastly mace of some kind. The guy then spends the whole night mostly silent, except occasionally when he gets to destroy something. Finally he gets fed up and just suicidally attacks a dragon by himself with about a 3rd-level spell, then when he dies he pulls out his laptop and starts playing TF2.

Thurbane
2011-02-06, 06:43 PM
Is the second movie any good? I've heard it's a lot better than the first one (which would NOT be hard)...

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-06, 06:46 PM
I have seen clips and it looks closer to a D&D campaign. There's a group of adventurers with a quest, there's puzzles and traps, there's a dragon that actually does something...

Dr Bwaa
2011-02-06, 06:48 PM
It is very similar to the first one in some broad ways; better in some and worse in others. A pro is that it comes with commentary that suggests (though doesn't state outright) that they literally sat down, played a campaign, and then gave the transcript to the screenwriters. The graphics are better...ish, though I don't think the characters are as good as they were in the first one (yeah...) (though actually the deleted scenes give them a little more depth). It is more campaign-like (again, it seems like they actually sat down and played it out, and there are a couple great scenes where you're like "oh, this is where the DM is requesting that the new-to-D&D-PCs take a few minutes to talk in character.") One thing to look forward to in it though: Blue-Lips is back!

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-06, 06:51 PM
Meh, he got better.

Temassasin
2011-02-06, 06:58 PM
all reviews of the second are higher then the first though only a little

Starbuck_II
2011-02-06, 07:16 PM
By the way, Damodar by Bruce Payne is the blue lipped dude according to my DVD of the movie.
They deleted a lot of scenes that explain more (even the girl sorcerer's familiar was cut).

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-06, 07:52 PM
I heard Gary had soemthing to do with the film, is this true? I also heard that there was another, better plot and hollywood took it over and ruined it.

That being said, I can see the plot of D&D being a campaign...just not a very good one.

Temassasin
2011-02-06, 07:54 PM
I heard Gary had soemthing to do with the film, is this true? I also heard that there was another, better plot and hollywood took it over and ruined it.

That being said, I can see the plot of D&D being a campaign...just not a very good one.

no idea about gary, but yes it was supposed to be closer to the rules like the second

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-06, 07:58 PM
Now, I remember, Gary has an interview on the DVD of the second movie.

lightningcat
2011-02-06, 08:01 PM
Almost everything about the second movie is better, but I'd rather watch the first one. Its just more fun to watch.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-06, 08:47 PM
Ah, Mr. Blue Sno Cone Lips. You made snarking that movie so much fun...

I think Jeremy Irons made the movie far more enjoyable.

The Glyphstone
2011-02-06, 08:48 PM

Jeremy Iron's eyebrows did. Jeremy Irons, not so much.

Amnestic
2011-02-06, 08:50 PM
Jeremy Iron's eyebrows did. Jeremy Irons, not so much.

I still don't know why he agreed to participate in the movie. Between that and Eragon, I have to wonder if he really enjoys (over-)acting in awful fantasy films.

The Glyphstone
2011-02-06, 08:55 PM
I still don't know why he agreed to participate in the movie. Between that and Eragon, I have to wonder if he really enjoys (over-)acting in awful fantasy films.

Don't forget the Morlock King in the lastest Time Machine. Actually, Irons has a really weird filmography....check it out. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000460/

Fox Box Socks
2011-02-06, 08:59 PM
Jeremy Irons is a lot like Liam Neeson.

I know he's a good actor. You know he's a good actor. Presumably he knows he's a good actor. And yet he continually takes work that is clearly beneath him.

Thurbane
2011-02-06, 08:59 PM
Re the first D&D movie: a movie has to be pretty epically bad to be about my favorite hobby, AND have a cameo by Tom Baker, and still make me seethe with anger over how poor it is...

I know he's a good actor. You know he's a good actor. Presumably he knows he's a good actor. And yet he continually takes work that is clearly beneath him.
$$$

It's the same reason Hugh Jackman does iced tea drink ads, and Benicio Deltoro does ice cream ads. :smallredface:

Gorgondantess
2011-02-06, 09:06 PM

Well, duh. Every scene he's just going "I'M DOING THIS FOR THE MONEY! WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!"
I mean, we know he's a good actor. He HAS to be hamming it just for gits & shiggles.
...Right?:smalleek:

Amnestic
2011-02-06, 09:14 PM
Well, duh. Every scene he's just going "I'M DOING THIS FOR THE MONEY! WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!"
I mean, we know he's a good actor. He HAS to be hamming it just for gits & shiggles.
...Right?:smalleek:

It's the only explanation I think is reasonable. He does seem to have fun though, so at least there's that. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZne8XjVajM)

I'd love a commentary track with him though.

Marillion
2011-02-06, 09:27 PM
Personally, I was very happy with the first movie, and considered it well worth the price of the DVD, for one very simple reason.

I got to watch a Wayans brother die.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-06, 09:28 PM

Yeah. Overacting in a fantasy film is one of my dreams. Heck, that's why I play D&D.

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-06, 09:39 PM
Re the first D&D movie: a movie has to be pretty epically bad to be about my favorite hobby, AND have a cameo by Tom Baker, and still make me seethe with anger over how poor it is...

I loved NC's send up of the Tom Baker cameo.

Dr Bwaa
2011-02-06, 10:04 PM
It's the only explanation I think is reasonable. He does seem to have fun though, so at least there's that. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZne8XjVajM)

Yes. Yes, indeed.

Also yes, Gary was closely involved in the second movie, and has an interview on the DVD.

Psyren
2011-02-06, 10:05 PM
I would designate a decent "D&D movie" to be Season of the Witch.

Katana_Geldar
2011-02-06, 10:06 PM
Can someone explain to me what happened at the end? Did they do some sort of Plane Shift?

Starbuck_II
2011-02-06, 10:24 PM
Can someone explain to me what happened at the end? Did they do some sort of Plane Shift?

You mean the first movie? Yeah I think it was. They are going to reclaim Snail's soul.

The Glyphstone
2011-02-06, 10:41 PM
You mean the first movie? Yeah I think it was. They are going to reclaim Snail's soul.

The planned and scrapped alternate ending, where it revealed they were wrapping up an actual D&D session, would have been far better.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-06, 10:54 PM
The planned and scrapped alternate ending, where it revealed they were wrapping up an actual D&D session, would have been far better.

A bit cliche and obvious, but yeah, way better. Also, it would have been hilarious to see Jeremy Irons as a nerdy DM.:smallbiggrin:

LibraryOgre
2011-02-07, 12:37 AM

From an interview I remember seeing (and that's all the cite you'll get from me on that), Jeremy Irons was restoring a castle at the time of movie, and needed money, meaning he was willing to chew the scenery for the cash.

And, if you watch the unfinished scenes from the DVD, you can see that the base story they had made a lot more sense... but they ran out of money to do things like talk to a wraith or see a baby dragon be born.

Thurbane
2011-02-07, 12:47 AM
I've not seen that one, but I'd say that Krull, Beastmaster, Hawk the Slayer, Willow, Sword and the Sorcerer, Dragonslayer, and Deathstalker all are better "D&D" movies than the "D&D Movie". :smallyuk:

abadguy
2011-02-07, 02:56 AM
And the best "D&D" movie of them all, Princess Bride :smallwink:

kamikasei
2011-02-07, 03:49 AM
Is the second movie any good? I've heard it's a lot better than the first one (which would NOT be hard)...
The second movie is not a very good movie. It looks low budget, I'm not sure if any of the actors have been in anything else, etc. However, it has three major advantages over the first movie.

1) They knew what it was. It doesn't imagine it's a huge epic. They don't have many resources but they use them well and don't overreach and try to do things that just end up looking crap.

2) Being made later, they got more bang for their effects buck. There's a dragon which, as I recall, actually looked pretty damn good.

3) The creators obviously knew something (anything!) about D&D. The world clearly follows third-edition rules. There are recognizable spells being cast, using actual spell components. They find magic items straight out of the DMG. They fight identifiable monsters. They make plans that account for how many teleport spells the wizard can prepare.

It's probably the most D&D-like movie I can think of, though not the best movie to use as inspiration for a campaign or anything like that. It's superior to the first in pretty much every way except that, as a result of being an honest attempt to make a half-decent movie where it looks like everyone involved was actually trying, it ceases to be So Bad It's Good. It's not bad at all, it's just Not Very Good, which is no fun to snark. And it doesn't have Jeremy Irons casting empowered devour scenery, or a Wayans brother getting murdered the heck out of.

But give it a look if you're curious. Your eyes won't bleed.

Eldan
2011-02-07, 04:28 AM
There are only two D&D movies. The Gamers and Dorkness Rising.

Anyway. Irons is the one redeeming feature of the first movie, as everyone knows. He's very enjoyable.

JaronK
2011-02-07, 04:33 AM
Eldan is correct. Dorkness Rising was decent. But I have no idea what this other D&D movie was that you guys are talking about. Such a movie never existed. EVER.

Also, it sure is sad that Tome of Magic only had Binders in it and no other classes. Binders were good, I'm sure they had lots of other good ideas. It's just such a shame that they didn't print any other base classes in that book...

JaronK

MeeposFire
2011-02-07, 04:42 AM
There are only two D&D movies. The Gamers and Dorkness Rising.

Anyway. Irons is the one redeeming feature of the first movie, as everyone knows. He's very enjoyable.

the only thing about the gamers that I dislike is the hilarious, but untrue, assertion that bards suck. For some reason I have to disprove that all the time.

nyjastul69
2011-02-07, 04:52 AM

The third 'Halloween' movie?

Ravens_cry
2011-02-07, 05:09 AM
the only thing about the gamers that I dislike is the hilarious, but untrue, assertion that bards suck. For some reason I have to disprove that all the time.
Technically speaking, it wasn't that Bards suck, its that the way the character, used to playing Fighter Types, played Bards that sucked.

Eldan
2011-02-07, 05:12 AM
Yeah. He had really no idea what he was doing, most of the time.

Shademan
2011-02-07, 06:13 AM
funfact: in the first D&D movie, the actor playing the main character was VERY close to getting severily injured when he was almost hit by one of the traps on the maze sequence. I beleive they still use the clip in the film.

other fun fact: the second direct-to-TV movie I actually liked.
most likely because the first was so horribad and I actually got the references... also: halflings! YAY! no goblins. BOO.
and the lizardman cleric needed a bigger role...

DarkEternal
2011-02-07, 07:37 AM
So, how would you stat the characters in the movie, and what classes are they all, since clearly some of them multiclassed.

Damodar is what, a blackguard or something? And the dwarf is clearly a fighter monk with his sweeping shenanigans.

Skaven
2011-02-07, 08:28 AM
I think Damodar was statted out as a 10th level fighter.

dsmiles
2011-02-07, 08:32 AM
Now, I remember, Gary has an interview on the DVD of the second movie.If you watched the special features on the DVD of the first one. (:smalleek:) Gary has a cameo as one of the wizards on the tower during the dragon fight scenes.

The third 'Halloween' movie?I'm fairly certain that this is in reference to the Nicholas Cage movie that came out last month. Wait for NetFlix on that one.

Starbuck_II
2011-02-07, 08:37 AM
So, how would you stat the characters in the movie, and what classes are they all, since clearly some of them multiclassed.

Damodar is what, a blackguard or something? And the dwarf is clearly a fighter monk with his sweeping shenanigans.

The DVD actual has some basic stats. Interestingly, Ridley has no sneak attack. Snails does. So he must be a variant feat Rogue.

The Dwarf has rage. And the Sorceror has a magic bracelet that casts bands of steel spell.

Eorran
2011-02-07, 09:30 AM
Personally, I was very happy with the first movie, and considered it well worth the price of the DVD, for one very simple reason.

I got to watch a Wayans brother die.

I hadn't seen any Wayans movies before seeing this one, but I wanted him dead just for wearing that stupid hat.

Jayabalard
2011-02-07, 10:02 AM

I know he's a good actor. You know he's a good actor. Presumably he knows he's a good actor. And yet he continually takes work that is clearly beneath him.Money Dear Boy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MoneyDearBoy)

[When asked by an interviewer about why he accepted his role in Dungeons & Dragons] Are you kidding? I'd just bought a castle, I had to pay for it somehow!

TheArsenal
2011-02-07, 10:09 AM
Ive decided to make a Dungeons and Dragons Musical =)

DarkEternal
2011-02-07, 10:18 AM
The DVD actual has some basic stats. Interestingly, Ridley has no sneak attack. Snails does. So he must be a variant feat Rogue.

The Dwarf has rage. And the Sorceror has a magic bracelet that casts bands of steel spell.

Oh? I didn't know that. I watched this movie in the cinema when it was new, so yeah, some odd 11 years ago? And I liked Marlon Wayans, which just says how young I was.

Starbuck_II
2011-02-07, 10:25 AM
Oh? I didn't know that. I watched this movie in the cinema when it was new, so yeah, some odd 11 years ago? And I liked Marlon Wayans, which just says how young I was.

Yeah, if put the DVD on your computer: it gives you a starter game (just the sewers escape scene expanded: about 7 encounters) and stats for the characters.