PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Spell Metamagic feat and Ocular Spell

Chrizzt
2011-02-06, 05:37 PM
On page 61 of Cityscape, there is the Metamagic Feat called insivible spell. It makes the effects of your spell visually invisible.

In Lords of Madness, on page 181, there is the metamagic feat ocular spell. With this, I understand, you can fire spells from your eyes without somatic or verbal components (as you have cast the spells previously and stored them in your eyes).

If you combine those two feats in one spell, could you then, say, store a scorching ray in your eyes, which would be invisible when you fire it? So that you could effectively use the spell without detection?

There might be more elegant ways to do this, but would my way work?

Thanks, dear fellows in the playground!

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-06, 06:48 PM
That should work, yes. Same story with Still Silent Invisible Scorching Ray.

There might still be some ways to detect it though. You still provoke an attack of opportunity, so it seems people can tell you're up to something. And then there are abilities like Battlemagic Perception and the Ring of Spellbattle that will detect the magic itself, but those are kind of exotic outside of pvp arenas and such.

Amnestic
2011-02-06, 07:14 PM
Combine with Tibbit in kitty form, and you've got a cute little combo on your hands :smallamused:

Chrizzt
2011-02-08, 08:28 AM
Thank you for your kind answers!

I still have a follow-up-question: There is no rule that determines whether you need to use "Insivible Spell MM" in addition to Ocular Spell MM, in order to go along undetected, right?

For example: A fireball has clearly visual effects. However, if I use Ocular Spell with Charm Person, do I also need invisible spell if I want to cast it without detection? (Or is Ocular spell enough?)

candycorn
2011-02-08, 08:51 AM
You may want to consider the Conceal Spellcasting skill trick from complete scoundrel.

1/encounter: Make a sleight of hand check. Anyone who sees you can make a spot check. If you win, they cannot detect your casting, cannot make an attack of opportunity for your casting, and cannot counter your casting.

Best thing is? If they don't have direct LOS to you (for example, you're invisible, or around a corner), they can't win a spot check. In that case, even if they hear the components, they cannot identify the spell or recognize the casting.

Greenish
2011-02-08, 09:01 AM
You may want to consider the Conceal Spellcasting skill trick from complete scoundrel.

1/encounter: Make a sleight of hand check. Anyone who sees you can make a spot check. If you win, they cannot detect your casting, cannot make an attack of opportunity for your casting, and cannot counter your casting.You don't even need a skill trick for it, it's one of the normal uses of Sleight of Hand. I forget where it was first printed, but it's also in the Rules Compendium.

dextercorvia
2011-02-08, 11:03 AM
You don't even need a skill trick for it, it's one of the normal uses of Sleight of Hand. I forget where it was first printed, but it's also in the Rules Compendium.

RoS, p 133.

Chrizzt
2011-02-09, 10:55 AM
I knew already about the skill trick, but not that I could make it without a skilltrick (due to Races of Stone). Thanks for the hints, everyone! I guess I will put some points in sleight of hand. Makes my able learner even more useful ; )

Tyndmyr
2011-02-09, 12:27 PM
Thank you for your kind answers!

I still have a follow-up-question: There is no rule that determines whether you need to use "Insivible Spell MM" in addition to Ocular Spell MM, in order to go along undetected, right?

For example: A fireball has clearly visual effects. However, if I use Ocular Spell with Charm Person, do I also need invisible spell if I want to cast it without detection? (Or is Ocular spell enough?)

Why wouldn't you? Invisible Spell is a +0 Metamagic.

Chrizzt
2011-02-09, 12:48 PM
If Ocular Spell can cover that, I could use the feat slot for something other than Invisible spell..

Last Laugh
2011-02-09, 01:20 PM
There might still be some ways to detect it though. You still provoke an attack of opportunity, so it seems people can tell you're up to something..

To quote David Sedaris "Each activity required it's own separate form of concentration, and while no one knew exactly what I was up to, it was pretty clear that something was going on. I think it was my face that gave me away, that and my oddly swollen calf"

subject42
2011-02-09, 01:38 PM
I think it was my face that gave me away, that and my oddly swollen calf"

I'm going to use that as the description for my next character's spellcasting thematics.

FMArthur
2011-02-09, 02:24 PM
If Ocular Spell can cover that, I could use the feat slot for something other than Invisible spell..

Yeah, but without Invisible Spell, they still might see the spell itself even if they don't think you did it. It is basically the best thing ever for a mage involved in politics, social functions, and general sneakiness.