PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Xykonish Lich Wizard Build

Reprimand
2011-02-06, 06:33 PM
I'd really like the character Xykon besides him being the main antagonist he's probably one of my favorite characters. I wanted to make my first arcane spellcaster in my first evil campaign be a little bit like him. We're starting off at level 6 and I want to do him justice. If someone could help me build him in Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 I really need the help. This will also be posted on the D20 and RPG Forum.

The biggest problem is Feats and Spells (What kind of feats should a caster take anyway? And if you say combat casting I'll hit you.) Getting a high Spell Save is also nice.

As for spells I'm going to be using the panel where O-Chul gives a Roy a list of Xykons Spells for some guidiance:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0670.html

Kish
2011-02-06, 06:47 PM
For starters, he's a sorcerer, not a wizard, and it's very important to his character.

Reprimand
2011-02-06, 06:51 PM
Really? It doesn't seem like he's all that charismatic... and he seems to know more spells than a sorcerer should.

As for redcloak being his follower I mean... You can bully just about anyone in D&D into being your slave with enough intimidation or power.

Talvereaux
2011-02-06, 08:04 PM
and he seems to know more spells than a sorcerer should.

Xykon is very high leveled. At least 21st level, but probably higher.

You can bully just about anyone in D&D into being your slave with enough intimidation or power.

Intimidation runs on charisma. High charisma doesn't always mean likability or a particularly attractive personality--it also lends itself to persuasion. It can take the form of many appeals or manipulations, including intimidation. Xykon is very skilled at manipulating others, which Start of Darkness sheds additional light on if you've read it.

Uncertainty
2011-02-06, 08:21 PM
Check the Class and Level Geekery (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131219) thread: the third post has the Team Evil characters statted out with as close to accurate info as you can get from the comic (I believe that it cites it's sources as well).

And yes, Xykon is a sorcerer... It's mentioned multiple times in the comic, I think, and is an important aspect of his character (as Kish said).

Deliverance
2011-02-06, 08:47 PM
Really? It doesn't seem like he's all that charismatic... and he seems to know more spells than a sorcerer should.

It is explicitly stated in the prequel books, but I don't remember if it has been mentioned in the main comic. In the comic, Xykon started out in #13 as a "mad lich mage" (of undetermined class) and it is possible that his status as a sorcerer hasn't been clarified since then, but I expect that it has. :)

Yendor
2011-02-06, 09:19 PM
It's mentioned here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html), for starters. Roy knows he's a sorcerer, his minions know he's a sorcerer.

Lateral
2011-02-06, 09:22 PM
Being a sorcerer and getting razzed by wizards is a big part of his backstory.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-06, 09:25 PM
Firstly, I think this should go in the D&D section as you're asking for help with a D&D build even if said build is based on an OotS character.

Second, yeah go sorcerer. Xykon never really cast all that many spells in my opinion. Really just blast spells.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-02-06, 09:31 PM
Why is everyone saying he's not charismatic? Even excluding the intimidation and bluffery, even Redcloak say he seems charming and funny until you get in his way.

He's got Charisma in all the ways around.

Firstly, I think this should go in the D&D section as you're asking for help with a D&D build even if said build is based on an OotS character.
It's there to, and it's painful. Everyone trying to cheese him up and ignoring the actual stats we know he has. We know he started off human, but last I saw he was like a gestalt necropolitan with savage species feats.

Querzis
2011-02-06, 09:35 PM
Really? It doesn't seem like he's all that charismatic...

Hes one of the most charismatic character I ever saw in fiction. Above everything else, charisma is force of personality which Xykon has tons of. He cannot be ignored and you cant make him change his mind, hes a master of manipulation and intimidation, his orders are always obeyed even by his annoyed second in command who actually hate him, when not currently killing or torturing someone everyone says hes charming and funny and he can even still get the girls to fall for him after his death (though really, that says a lot more about Tsukiko then Xykon).

One of the first thing they say about charisma is: «This ability represents actual strength of personality, not merely how one is perceived by others in a social setting.» Being charismatic really doesnt mean you're likable. Thats why one of my favorite change in 4th edition is that Will saves can now be affected by wisdom OR charisma. I always thought your will had a lot more to do with your charisma then your wisdom anyway, it make more sense for me to resist brainwashing through sheer strength of personality then thanks to the wisdom of knowing you're being brainwashed.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-06, 09:43 PM
It's there to, and it's painful. Everyone trying to cheese him up and ignoring the actual stats we know he has. We know he started off human, but last I saw he was like a gestalt necropolitan with savage species feats.

Wait, you're right. In fact both threads were started by the same person and basically talk about the exact same thing. Shouldn't they be merged?:smallconfused:

G-Man Graves
2011-02-06, 10:14 PM
As for spells I'm going to be using the panel where O-Chul gives a Roy a list of Xykons Spells for some guidiance:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0670.html

The fact that he has a spell list that can't be summed up with "every arcane spell" should be proof he is NOT, infact, a wizard, and is in fact a sorcerer.

Lateral
2011-02-06, 10:15 PM
Wait, you're right. In fact both threads were started by the same person and basically talk about the exact same thing. Shouldn't they be merged?:smallconfused:

YES. white space

G-Man Graves
2011-02-06, 10:19 PM
YES. white space

The other one should be deleted, it's painfully obvious in ignoring the blatant facts about Xykon.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-02-06, 10:21 PM
The other one should be deleted, it's painfully obvious in ignoring the blatant facts about Xykon.
Well, except the Op has recently explained he doesn't require it to have the stats of Xykon, just the personality.

So... basically he's just looking for an optimized casting skeleton.

Lateral
2011-02-06, 10:22 PM
Well, to be fair, she did state (on the other one) that the flavor was going to be like Xykon, but the crunch wasn't supposed to be exactly as the real Xykon.

Edit: Ninja'ed. By a tribble.

@V: Of course not, you're the freakin' Vorpal Tribble.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-02-06, 10:53 PM
Edit: Ninja'ed. By a tribble.
Never forget it.

G-Man Graves
2011-02-06, 11:29 PM
Well, except the Op has recently explained he doesn't require it to have the stats of Xykon, just the personality.

So... basically he's just looking for an optimized casting skeleton.

Right. And there are certain things key to Xykon's personality.

1) He's a sorcerer. He didn't go to no fancy ass college.
2) He's a lich. He tore off his own living flesh so he wouldn't have to admit weakness.
3) He's actually gotten pretty intelligent as he got on in years.

Lateral
2011-02-06, 11:30 PM
Right. And there are certain things key to Xykon's personality.

1) He's a sorcerer. He didn't go to no fancy ass college.
2) He's a lich. He tore off his own living flesh so he wouldn't have to admit weakness.
3) He's actually gotten pretty intelligent as he got on in years.

Well, exactly, but nobody's disputing those in the RP thread. :smallconfused:

Cizak
2011-02-07, 03:22 AM
Don't ever let Xykon hear you call him a wizard :smalleek: