PDA

View Full Version : Binder feats?

BIGMamaSloth
2011-02-06, 07:38 PM
I'm Creating a Desert Dwarf Binder right now. :smallsmile:

I picked Improved binding as my 1st level feat but I don't know what to have as my 3rd or 6th level feats. I'm not really planning to be arcane or running into the front lines smashing things.

Any one have suggestions for good feats?

(Oh I also need to pick a Binder bonus feat at 4th level, but it's kind of a sub-optimal list.)

Ryuuk
2011-02-06, 07:42 PM
If you're starting at 6th, put Improved Binding on your 4th level bonus, that way you aren't limited to a small list for your other feats.

As to what to pick... Improved Initiative is good for everyone. A Weapon Focus feat to get into Knight of the Sacred Seal might be good too. It really depends on what you're looking for with your Binder though. Expel Vestige and Rapid Pact Making might be good if you want to change your vestige in the middle of the day.

avr
2011-02-06, 08:04 PM
Ignore special requirements is a good one for versatility; you get a very limited amount of skill points as a binder, and it lets you ignore the skill requirements to bind certain vestiges.

If you're not going to be a front-liner or an odd sort of spellcaster (assuming that's what you mean by 'be arcane') what do you actually want out of being a binder?

Thurbane
2011-02-06, 08:09 PM
The best Binder bonus feats (IMHO) are improved Binding (which you've already got), followed by the combo of Expel Vestige and Rapid Binding (to allow you to swap your vestige "on the fly"). Ignore Special Requirements can be very handy on occasion, and Skilled Pact Making is OK if you're worried about failing Binding checks...the only other Binder bonus feat I'd bother with is Sudden Ability Focus (+2 to a DC, but only 1/day).

For non-Binder feats, it depends on the role you want to fill. If you plan to go into Knight of the Sacred Seal, you'll need Weapon Focus (as already pointed out), and Power Attack is also a solid option if you plan to fill a melee role. Knowledge Devotion is also a solid choice for a melee-Binder, though you may be short on skill point to fuel it.

Utility feats aren't bad either - the Fey Legacy and Fiendish legacy feats will net you some handy 1/day SLAs. If wisdom is a dump stat, you might want to look into Steadfast Determination (although it has the awful Endurance as a prereq). The Devil Touched feats in FC2 mesh nicely with Binder (I think a Hellbred makes a good race for binding), although they are really only worthwhile if you plan to invest in a bunch of them.

Lastly, depending on your DMs cheese tolerance, the Apprentice (spellcaster) feat in DMGII will get you UMD as a class skill - nice for any class, especially if you're pumping your CHA for Binding.

Alleine
2011-02-06, 08:16 PM
Favored Vestige and Rapid Recovery are nice, though most of the low level Vestiges probably aren't worth it.

If you're going for versatility maybe pick up one of the devotion feats from Complete Champion? If your DM will let you power them with Tenebrous' turning then they can be pretty handy in a pinch.

Psyren
2011-02-06, 10:59 PM
Lastly, depending on your DMs cheese tolerance, the Apprentice (spellcaster) feat in DMGII will get you UMD as a class skill - nice for any class, especially if you're pumping your CHA for Binding.

Your other suggestions are good, but I wouldn't bother spending a feat on this one. Karsus gets you all the "UMD" you'll likely need.

Thurbane
2011-02-06, 11:38 PM
Your other suggestions are good, but I wouldn't bother spending a feat on this one. Karsus gets you all the "UMD" you'll likely need.
Well, that's true for sure, but it's nice to have UMD for non-Wizard wands, as well as other items. Still, it is debatable as to whether it's worth a feat or not.

Speaking for myself, if it was allowed, I'd be all over it. :smallbiggrin: