PDA

View Full Version : That was THE DUMBEST Superbowl halftime show I've ever seen

Fox Box Socks
2011-02-06, 08:38 PM
Ever. Seriously.

First of all, I do not like the Black Eyed Peas. It's not that I think they're terrible musicians, it's just that "music that people will play at their wedding 20 years from now" isn't exactly my scene.

Then they were beamed down from a spaceship looking like space pirates. Or the raiders from Fallout 3 wrapped in Christmas lights. Or, I don't know, Mad Max cosplayers that ran out of leather and decided to use mirrors.

Then Slash came out and Fergie did a terrible, terrible impression of Axl Rose singing Sweet Child o'Mine. Come on, Slash. You can do better.

Then all the dancers (who were covered in lights for some reason) put boxes on their heads and did the running man. For some reason.

Then the dancers became a big heart and the stage lit up to say "love" and they sang that song that I swear to god every time I hear it sounds like "please Obama fix all of our problems for us".

Then...yeah. It was dumber than Super Bowl 29's halftime show. You know, the one where they reenacted the opening scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark except Indy stole the Superbowl trophy.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-02-06, 08:42 PM
I swear, it's always at least as amusing to hear the responses to these halftimes as it is to watch them later :smallamused:

Makes me wonder what it is I'm supposed to be missing by not even turning on my TV.

rayne_dragon
2011-02-06, 08:46 PM
This is the first time I've ever felt the desire to watch the superbowl halftime show. From the sounds of it they're generally so bad they're awesome.

Falgorn
2011-02-06, 08:48 PM
I thought the dancers were good.
But besides that, yeah, it was pretty good.

Partof1
2011-02-06, 08:54 PM
I disliked it, primarily because of the band itself, and the fact that they had approximately 4 hits, all of which made it into this show.

Though, for most of it, the dancers were alright. Very Tron. Woulda preferred Daft Punk, with costumes like those.

wxdruid
2011-02-06, 08:58 PM
I'm at work and have no choice in the matter. I listened to the half time show and cringed all the way through it at the singing. :smalltongue: And we have one tv in the main room and one in the break room and they're slightly off, so all the bad singing echoed from one tv to the other giving us double the agony! :smallyuk:

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-06, 09:03 PM
my ears.

they are bleed

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-06, 09:04 PM
It was hilarious. I actually spent the entire time in a giggling mess out of shock.

My thoughts went something like this.

Black Eyed Peas. Not bad. Outfits are a bit goofy. Like the song. It's catchy enou--SLASH JUST ROSE UP FROM BELOW THE GROUND AND SWEET CHILD OF MINE WHAT IS THIS. I AM BROKEN. I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPEN. I SO CONFUSED. WHERE ARE MY SPEECH.

Wait, where'd he go? He SUCK BACK INTO THE DEPTHS OF THE EARTH FROM WHENCE HE CAME.

OH MAH GAHD USHER JUST DROPPED FROM THE SKY WHAT IS THIS.
Wait, I can't hear him. Well, I couldn't hear Slash either, but I didn't notice cause I was in shock.

And then he disappears. Not sure how. Did the heavens take him back? Where is he? And now they're doing that one song. Y'know, where is the love and stuff. And then they do that song they did at the beginning. And then everyone's even more lighty than they were before. Yeah.

Deathslayer7
2011-02-06, 09:05 PM
The show was ehhhh. Nothing special nothing bad. Better then Christina Aguilera's national anthem in my opinion. :smalleek:

THAC0
2011-02-06, 09:06 PM
Better then Christina Aguilera's national anthem in my opinion. :smalleek:

That was an utter tragedy. I cannot believe people are allowed to maul the national anthem like that!

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-06, 09:17 PM
That was an utter tragedy. I cannot believe people are allowed to maul the national anthem like that!

Hendrix. But he did it to make a political point. Not mere drunken caterwauling.

Jarian
2011-02-06, 09:23 PM
Wait, I can't hear him. Well, I couldn't hear Slash either, but I didn't notice cause I was in shock.

Pretty much that. I nearly had a fit when I realized Fergie's mic hadn't been working for the first half of the opening song.

Serious technical issues with the sounds this time around... and they were the highlight of the show. Kinda sad, really.

Icewalker
2011-02-06, 09:29 PM
...The superbowl was today?

Deathslayer7
2011-02-06, 09:33 PM
4th quarter at the moment. Packers just scored!

Jokasti
2011-02-06, 09:35 PM
Meh. I liked it.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-06, 09:42 PM
Ever. Seriously.

First of all, I do not like the Black Eyed Peas. It's not that I think they're terrible musicians, it's just that "music that people will play at their wedding 20 years from now" isn't exactly my scene.

Okay, this is really enough. Any band that makes a song with the words "lady lumps" should be exile to like the sun or outer space or somewhere human beings can't survive more than a few seconds. Seriously, if there are advance life forms from other planets it's people and artist like the Black Eye Peas which make them hesitant about sharing all their advance wisdom and technology with us.

CynicalAvocado
2011-02-06, 10:05 PM

it should be against the law or something

Lord Raziere
2011-02-06, 10:08 PM
I do not watch the superbowl, but my parents do, the tv is a few feet to my right.

Halftime was horrible, a nightmare. It had the worst singers and songs ever.

Fox Box Socks
2011-02-06, 10:22 PM
Honestly, Christina oversinging to the point where the song is barely recognizable is something I expect at this point. I also expect her to look like a jittering coke addict, so this was not a surprise either.

What WAS alarming was that she forgot the damn words to the National Anthem. For this, there is now excuse.

Deathslayer7
2011-02-06, 10:24 PM
Honestly, Christina oversinging to the point where the song is barely recognizable is something I expect at this point. I also expect her to look like a jittering coke addict, so this was not a surprise either.

What WAS alarming was that she forgot the damn words to the National Anthem. For this, there is now excuse.

I rather her be quiet than draw out words that shouldn't have been drawn out, and do it every line. :smallannoyed:

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-02-06, 10:25 PM

Well, you DID just mention she was a coke addict. Just lucky she didn't start a rousing chorus of Hail Britannia :smallamused:

shadow_archmagi
2011-02-06, 10:27 PM
I swear, it's always at least as amusing to hear the responses to these halftimes as it is to watch them later :smallamused:

Makes me wonder what it is I'm supposed to be missing by not even turning on my TV.

I'm never sure whether it's a good thing when people post what I wanted to say.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-02-06, 10:33 PM
Genovia, Genoooooviaaaaaa, the land I call my home.

Forever will... something something ...waaaaave!

Fox Box Socks
2011-02-06, 10:36 PM
RT @SethMacFarlane: This Super Bowl halftime event looks like the talent show from Revenge of the Nerds.

Truer words

Jarawara
2011-02-06, 10:43 PM
Black eyed peas - Meh. They've got a few good songs, and a few I don't even recognize. Slash - Meh. Why was he there, where did he go?

The big item though of the whole show was the technical glitches. Two of the four singers had no microphone early on. It was like reverse lip sync - their lips moved in perfect concert with what we *should* have been hearing. Then that guy comes in hanging from a cable - and was barely able to disconnect himself. Finally the stage lights up with the word "Love", but the 'V' was only half lit. The stage said "LOI E". :smallbiggrin:

The only thing were able to get to light up fully was all the individual dancers and their light suits. But if you watch closely, some of them weren't able to 'turn back off'.

*~*~*

And with all that, it was *still* better than Christine Agula... Agularia... Agilar... That blonde chick with the warbling voice.

Orzel
2011-02-06, 10:52 PM
I knew it would be bad. The BEP hasn't been great in years and have reduced themselves to "club songs". They were never super bowl quality either, Few bands are.

Lycan 01
2011-02-06, 10:56 PM
I was reading Dracula during the Superbowl Halftime Show. I don't know which was scarier.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-06, 10:59 PM
I was reading Dracula during the Superbowl Halftime Show. I don't know which was scarier.

You want to know scary and Dracula. Read the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and then see the movie.:smalleek: To calm your nerves, take a shot for everything they change. No guarantee you won't die of alcohol poisoning after the first half hour.

Coidzor
2011-02-06, 11:04 PM
I thought it was a Tron reference myself.

...Was the original Dracula scary? I sorta got distracted by something shiny the first couple of times I tried to crack it open and didn't get further than the first three chapters.

Lord Seth
2011-02-06, 11:08 PM
Okay, this is really enough. Any band that makes a song with the words "lady lumps" should be exile to like the sun or outer space or somewhere human beings can't survive more than a few seconds.Outside of my general dubiousness that writing a dumb song is somehow worthy of capital punishment, there's far worse artists and bands out there than the Black Eyed Peas; the Black Eyed Peas at least have some decent songs.

The technical glitches were fairly embarrassing, but I don't think those were necessarily the BEP's fault. I didn't really think the show was that bad, but then again it was the first half time show I've watched in years so I don't have much basis for comparison.

mucat
2011-02-06, 11:17 PM
Genovia, Genoooooviaaaaaa, the land I call my home.

Forever will... something something ...waaaaave!

When dragons belch and hippos flee
My thoughts, Ankh-Morpork, are of thee...

See, this is why they don't let me do the anthem at the Super Bowl. (Also, I can't sing.)

We bankrupt all invaders,
We sell them souvenirs,
We ner ner ner ner ner ner by the ears...

Trog
2011-02-06, 11:17 PM
Though, for most of it, the dancers were alright. Very Tron. Woulda preferred Daft Punk, with costumes like those.
My thoughts exactly. Daft Punk would be awesome and perfect for all the dancing and lights and mixing it up anyway.

The outfits of the BEP struck me as being very Tron as well. Though only Will.i.am's looked good imo. And I liked his metal fro. Heh.

It needed more light cycles. :smallwink:

Lycan 01
2011-02-06, 11:19 PM
I thought it was a Tron reference myself.

...Was the original Dracula scary? I sorta got distracted by something shiny the first couple of times I tried to crack it open and didn't get further than the first three chapters.

It may not be scary par se, but its quite suspenseful and kinda freaky at times. I finished chapter 4 during the game - I had to finish the journal bits before my Gothic Novel class tomorrow. There were a few suspense scenes, some ominous foreshadowing, a few downright freaky moments, and some surprisingly brutal scenes. You feel pretty bad for the protagonist... :smalleek:

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-02-06, 11:21 PM
Oh, definitely, Bram Stoker's original Dracula is one of my favorite books. Only vampire story I've yet found worth reading.

When dragons belch and hippos flee
My thoughts, Ankh-Morpork, are of thee...

See, this is why they don't let me do the anthem at the Super Bowl. (Also, I can't sing.)

We bankrupt all invaders,
We sell them souvenirs,
We ner ner ner ner ner ner by the ears...
*snrks in appreciation* :smallamused:

Marillion
2011-02-06, 11:54 PM
Bah. People are making too big a deal of Christinas flub. It's embarrassing, but mistakes happen. It's not a sign that she hates America or anything. If you've never made a silly mistake because you were nervous, you're most likely a liar.

And as for oversinging the anthem, she's hardly the worst offender. At a baseball game, I heard one singer draw it out for 10 minutes.

Deathslayer7
2011-02-07, 12:05 AM
Bah. People are making too big a deal of Christinas flub. It's embarrassing, but mistakes happen. It's not a sign that she hates America or anything. If you've never made a silly mistake because you were nervous, you're most likely a liar.

And as for oversinging the anthem, she's hardly the worst offender. At a baseball game, I heard one singer draw it out for 10 minutes.

maybe, but when you can't do high notes properly, you shouldn't try. And when you randomly extend random words, that ruins the tune to me. I can understand certain words, but every five words? Come on, you have to draw the line somewhere.

Marillion
2011-02-07, 12:13 AM
I agree. But sadly, that's what's expected nowadays.

Nomrom
2011-02-07, 12:19 AM
Pretty much that. I nearly had a fit when I realized Fergie's mic hadn't been working for the first half of the opening song.

That was probably the best thing to happen during the whole performance. Now if only they could have made her mic stop working while she was ruining Sweet Child of Mine.

Jarian
2011-02-07, 12:23 AM
That was probably the best thing to happen during the whole performance. Now if only they could have made her mic stop working while she was ruining Sweet Child of Mine.

I meant a fit of giggles, not of pique. I think someone's going to be fired after that debacle.

And yes, probably the worst rendition of Sweet Child of Mine I have ever heard. And my brothers did karaoke when I was growing up. :smalleek:

Haruki-kun
2011-02-07, 12:39 AM
I actually watched this one. :smallbiggrin:

I'm gonna say I actually quite enjoyed the half-time show. Found it fun. Thought "Tron" all the way through it, but I don't dislike the Black Eyed Peas, and really, it's not like Axl ever impressed me with his singing ability, either. <.<

sircarp
2011-02-07, 12:50 AM
I think the technical problems really compounded the issue; but really the group just doesn't sound very good live in the best of cases.

Lord Seth
2011-02-07, 01:14 AM
Well, I went back and re-watched it on YouTube, and I have to revise my original assessment a little; it really wasn't that good. I think I came away with it with a better opinion because I was only half-paying attention, plus I somewhat tuned out the songs I wasn't a fan of or didn't recognize. Listening to it in the background it's okay, but when paying more close attention the problems are definitely more noticeable. So, yeah, not a great performance, with the technical problems making things worse.

As a note, quick question: I noticed they changed part of the original lyrics to "Where is the Love?" to be more "modern" (e.g. referring to Obama). Was that something just for this performance, or did they do some kind of re-recording of it earlier?

Marnath
2011-02-07, 01:26 AM
Put me in the "hated it" camp. The black eyed peas sound worse than Karaoke night and the technical issues were really unexpected( it's really not acceptable to screw up that bad when it costs as much as the half-time show does) But I did like the dancers, I have to admire it whenever you get that many people to work together. That, and they gave me something to distract from the horrible sounds.

Dacia Brabant
2011-02-07, 01:33 AM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought having Daft Punk for that halftime show would have been all kinds of awesome. But no, they had to give us the karaoke band formerly known as the Black Eyed Peas.

Ugh, Slash must need money badly.

rakkoon
2011-02-07, 10:13 AM
Just lucky she didn't start a rousing chorus of Hail Britannia :smallamused:

Well there was this western european prime minister who sang the wrong national anthem on nationwide radio. That was fun.

And Christina's oopsie even made european papers, perhaps just to prove that other countries aren't that great at it either :smallwink:

grimbold
2011-02-07, 12:58 PM
at least slash was there
it musta been okayish

Derthric
2011-02-07, 04:14 PM
The only thought I had at the end of this performance was: If you need guest stars to make your superbowl halftime show, then you are doing it wrong.

Now Will.I.Am and Usher had that single together so it at least made sense but why the hell did they think covering "Sweet Child of Mine" was a good idea. And Slash seriously stop letting radio stations give away your money and you wont need to do things like this.

Also I want to start a petition that only school or community based choirs can sing the national anthem from now on. They will, you know, practice it, and most likely not drag it out.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-07, 04:42 PM
I just don't get why it was, like, half "Black Eyed Peas butcher the hits of the 1980s!" The Slash moment, the auto-tuned "Love Lifts us Up," etc. The dancy green folks were cool, but seriously **** Fergie and the spastic psuedo-rapped vocals on which she road in.

Coidzor
2011-02-07, 04:48 PM
I think I'm glad there were problems with the audio then... :smalleek:

Obrysii
2011-02-07, 04:51 PM
How much was the Black Eyed Peas paid for that performance? :smallfurious:

Perenelle
2011-02-07, 04:59 PM
How much was the Black Eyed Peas paid for that performance? :smallfurious:

Actually, I don't believe they get paid. The NFL doesn't pay them for their appearance, but they pay for their stagehands/random other performers and people like that. Apparently the bands that perform during the Halftime show get significant increase in album/song sales afterwards, so it makes sense in a way that they don't get paid.

In response the original topic, I agree with most of the others. The halftime show was a perfect example as to why I don't listen to the super popular mainstream crap. =P It was horrible.

toasty
2011-02-07, 06:30 PM
Actually, I don't believe they get paid. The NFL doesn't pay them for their appearance, but they pay for their stagehands/random other performers and people like that. Apparently the bands that perform during the Halftime show get significant increase in album/song sales afterwards, so it makes sense in a way that they don't get paid.

In response the original topic, I agree with most of the others. The halftime show was a perfect example as to why I don't listen to the super popular mainstream crap. =P It was horrible.

This makes me feel somewhat better about the entire thing. I mean, i really was like... "and that's the half-time show? How is this supposed to be... good?"

Yeah, the $12 concert I went to Saturday night, which had 2 bands I didn't much care for was better.

Emperor Ing
2011-02-07, 06:40 PM
Ever since...justin timberlake was it? All of the superbowl halftime shows have been musical has-beens clinging to the very last threads of their contemporary relevence. Their subsequent performances have been mediocre at best (in my defense, I never much liked The Artist Formally Known as Prince's songs anyways) and "OH GODS MY EIGHTH AMENDMENT RIGHTS!!" at the worst. My expectations for the Black Eyed Peas were dismal to begin with, and they actually managed to go below my expectations somehow. Let's just say i'm one of those people that disagrees with the "love" remix.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-07, 06:42 PM
Prince at least had the, uh, class to admit he is doing what every person who has ever "played" a guitar is really doing.

Mando Knight
2011-02-07, 06:51 PM
Well, you DID just mention she was a coke addict. Just lucky she didn't start a rousing chorus of Hail Britannia :smallamused:

Truth and hope to our Fatherland
And death to every foe! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRIAw6LkqlE)

...No, wait. Wrong Hail Britannia. ALL HAIL BRITANNIA!

CrimsonAngel
2011-02-07, 07:08 PM
Sometimes I think people on this website hate things that people like simply because it's popular. :smallannoyed:

Not the half time show, oh god no. I meant the Black Eyed Peas!

KerfuffleMach2
2011-02-07, 07:09 PM
Honestly, I did like the visual aspect of the show. I enjoyed the people being lit up and stuff. It was kind of cool.

That being said, I could have enjoyed it just as much if it was muted. I'm not really a fan of the Black Eyed Peas in the first place. But, hearing them live...I'm sorry, but it was horrible. Especially with Fergie practically murdering Sweet Child O' Mine.

Jarian
2011-02-07, 07:10 PM

They sound okay out of a recording studio, but live?

Come on. That was the WORST rendition of Sweet Child of Mine I have ever heard. I'm not kidding you.

CrimsonAngel
2011-02-07, 07:18 PM
I don't actually watch the Superbowl. ._. I just get to hear about it for about a week after and then everybody forgets about it.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-02-07, 07:19 PM
I don't actually watch the Superbowl. ._. I just get to hear about it for about a week after and then everybody forgets about it.

You should watch it for the commercials. They tend to be good.

And sometimes the halftime show is good. Like when The Who did it.

Lord Seth
2011-02-07, 07:38 PM
You should watch it for the commercials. They tend to be good.Not this time though, they were largely forgettable. This one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr9IXaiEq94) was great though.

Mando Knight
2011-02-07, 09:43 PM
I dunno, some of the movie trailers were amusing.

Like Transformers 3 GIANT ROBOT FIGHTS by MICHAEL BAY, Captain America, THOR, and Indiana Jones and James Bond vs Aliens Cowboys and Aliens.

An Enemy Spy
2011-02-07, 10:05 PM
You should watch it for the commercials. They tend to be good.

And sometimes the halftime show is good. Like when The Who did it.

The Who one was awful! Just depressing to see the once great band reduced to guitar playing geriatrics with no voice left.
The last good halftime show was Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers back in 08. Great halftime show to a great game.

Lex-Kat
2011-02-07, 11:43 PM
1st- Black Eyed Peas: I think the 1/2 time show was meh. The songs were nothing special. And I do like most of their songs. Not Lady Lumps though. And I was happy not to hear it. :smallyuk:

I, for one, wasn't impressed with the dancers. In the previous three years, they allowed fans to come down and enjoy the bands up close. It was almost like a real concert, for 30 minutes.

The dancers took that away.

2nd- Christina Aguilera: I didn't have a problem with her rendition. Again, not the greatest. I agree that nowadays, the singers feel almost compelled to stretch out almost every word at the end of every sentence.

3rd- Slash: I felt bad for him. But was happy to see him play again. Fergie shouldn't have tried singing Sweet Child O' Mine though. Just let Slash play a solo. That would have been great.

4th- Usher: Who? :smallconfused: Kidding.. I just don't care about him.

5th- Who: I didn't think it was too bad. I enjoyed it mostly.

6th- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: I thought they were great.

7th- Prince- I also enjoyed this one. It would have been better if he had the Revolution as his back-up band again though.

snoopy13a
2011-02-07, 11:45 PM
Sometimes I think people on this website hate things that people like simply because it's popular. :smallannoyed:

I like the Black Eyed Peas but that halftime show was so awful it was funny. Although, to be fair, it was better than The Who.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-09, 01:40 AM
Outside of my general dubiousness that writing a dumb song is somehow worthy of capital punishment, there's far worse artists and bands out there than the Black Eyed Peas; the Black Eyed Peas at least have some decent songs.

I don't care. That song is beyond awful. And I don't care. Star Wars is a great series but the prequels did a lot of damage to the original trilogy. Am I saying we should ignore the first 3 films? No, but that's because the original trilogy could be considered a masterpiece. Unless any of their other songs are the musical equivalent of that, launch the band into space with a very limited supply of oxygen.

Erts
2011-02-09, 05:37 PM
It was really dumb.. So dumb...
Fox Box Socks, your description of the thing was hilarious to read.
This is why (despite other posts) I don't like pro football. Dumb publicity stunts, player attitudes, etc.
College Football all the way.