PDA

View Full Version : [PF/3.5] Sniper Rogue Viable?

Rasman
2011-02-06, 09:55 PM
In the APG there are Archtypes for all the base classes, I've been playing with the idea for a Sniper Rogue, but I want to retain some of the social skills as well. As a human with ability scores in the area of 16, 14, 14, 12, 10, 8 is this a viable idea/concept?

My concern is HOW to gain the Sneak Attack more than once. A sniper can't exactly flank at range, any thoughts as to solutions?

In terms of books, the field is open as well, so we have access to 3.5 material.

dextercorvia
2011-02-06, 10:03 PM
Ring of Blinking, or Wand of Blacklight, would do it. You'll need a wand of Sniper's shot, too. That will get you 60ft range on your SA.

Triskavanski
2011-02-06, 10:29 PM
Things for a sniper rogue.

Use a crossbow, this allows you to go prone which I belive has a bonus for hiding.

Use the sniping action. make one shot at your full bab, and then a stealth check afterwards.

Sniper Crossbow allows you to apply sneak attack from 120 feet away. Quintessential rogue has this. Otherwise use Dungeonscape for a wand of snipers shot, granted unlimited range, then place the wand inside a wand compartment within a great crossbow.

Dragon 315 i believe has a list of new fighter archtypes. You can use the targetteer to gain snipers shot, increasing crit range on your crossbow that stacks with improved critical or keen.

gorfnab
2011-02-06, 11:00 PM
Well there are Snipers Goggles on page 309 of Pathfinder: Advanced Players Guide. Basically these goggles give you always on Snipers Shot and 2 extra sneak attack damage per die.

Rasman
2011-02-06, 11:45 PM
Well there are Snipers Goggles on page 309 of Pathfinder: Advanced Players Guide. Basically these goggles give you always on Snipers Shot and 2 extra sneak attack damage per die.

lol...you ninjaed me. My only problem is that the campaign starts at level 1, so getting them might be a stretch. I could always request them for sometime down the road. Items do fix the problem, but without them is what I'm more worried about.

Triskavanski
2011-02-07, 12:24 AM
As level one, focus on light xbow and movement skills.

Take xbow sniper from phb2 (3.5) as soon as you can. This gives you half your dex mod in extra damage and doubles your sneak attack range.

sishquebob
2015-02-15, 11:18 AM
Another Feat to look at is Telling Blow. This allows you to draw on your scrimmage / sneak attack abilities and apply this damage on any critical hit.

nedz
2015-02-15, 12:39 PM
I was under-impressed with Telling Blow. Chances are a half competent rogue is only going to bother attacking if they get their sneak attack anyway. I had a Scout who took it — so I beefed it up to allow double skirmish on a successful crit, though it happened very rarely anyway. As for any notion that you can get precision damage when you crit things normally immune to such damage — well they tend to be immune to crits anyway.

Haruki-kun
2015-02-17, 08:48 AM
The Winged Mod: Thread Necromancy.