PDA

View Full Version : Question about Ghost sound (4E)

Mystic Muse
2011-02-07, 01:15 AM
It is my understanding that there is (or was) a debate about the usability of ghost sound to replicate voices. My current character is probably going to die during the next session my group has, and I would like to know what the playground thinks before I try to pull anything with my wizard backup character.

Makiru
2011-02-07, 01:35 AM
Nothing against it being a voice in the power description. I think I may have used it to the same effect when I last played, as well, and my DM gave me a thumbs-up for being creative. It's really going to depend on the DM you have regarding how much you can get away with.

One of my friends played a bard in 3.5 that used ghost sound to a similar effect by making it sound like we had some giant army outside and the DM gave him a bonus to his (already enormous) bluff check to scare the bandits in the cave. Course, he tried to go a bit too far and tried to make them think we had a dragon with us, too. At least one guy realized that was bull and made us fight.

Suedars
2011-02-07, 02:52 AM
I was under the impression that it could replicate the sound of voices like you might hear in a crowded room, but couldn't replicate distinct words.

Kurald Galain
2011-02-07, 04:35 AM
It is my understanding that there is (or was) a debate about the usability of ghost sound to replicate voices.
The rules don't specify whether you can duplicate a specific voice. In my experience, most DMs will either rule that, since the rules don't say the power can do that, it doesn't work; or they will give the wizard some kind of bluff check, which usually also means it doesn't work, since wizards tend to suck at bluff.

I was under the impression that it could replicate the sound of voices like you might hear in a crowded room, but couldn't replicate distinct words.
That is incorrect. The power spells out that you can make somebody understand your exact words.

Mystic Muse
2011-02-07, 02:35 PM
The rules don't specify whether you can duplicate a specific voice. In my experience, most DMs will either rule that, since the rules don't say the power can do that, it doesn't work; or they will give the wizard some kind of bluff check, which usually also means it doesn't work, since wizards tend to suck at bluff.

I'm actually a Tiefling and have a charisma score of 20 (Going with orb of deception, plus imperious majesty) So my bluff bonus is +12 at level 11 which didn't seem too bad to me.