PDA

View Full Version : Acid Breath spell resistance?

gomipile
2011-02-07, 02:39 AM
I was looking for acid area spells for a level 5 wizard, and found Acid Breath in the Spell Compendium. The odd thing is that it allows spell resistance, unlike every other acid damage spell I've seen.

This is disappointing, because getting around spell resistance was the exact reason I was looking for an acid based AoE.

Does anyone else find this odd?

Thurbane
2011-02-07, 02:43 AM
That is really weird, considering it's a Conjuration spell...

gomipile
2011-02-07, 07:31 PM
I know, right? I thought there was a rationale behind acid spells bypassing spell resistance.

Thurbane
2011-02-07, 08:04 PM
I can't think of any good reason why this would be the case. Maybe an editing typo? Anyhow, in my game, I'd be happy to houserule it as SR: no.

Ashram
2011-02-07, 08:28 PM
Wow, in all my time playing 3.5/PF, I've never noticed that acid spells completely ignore SR. That is some wonky stuff. Is there a mechanics or fluff reason for this?

Psyren
2011-02-07, 08:34 PM
Wow, in all my time playing 3.5/PF, I've never noticed that acid spells completely ignore SR. That is some wonky stuff. Is there a mechanics or fluff reason for this?

Because they are the most quintessential form of conjuration - the magic is used to make/summon something, and once the magic ends, the substance is real. It's the same reason SR wouldn't protect you from falling into a vat of acid.

Keld Denar
2011-02-07, 08:37 PM
Yea, its kinda an artifact of the fact that most, if not all, acid spells are Conjourations, and most Conjourations don't have SR. Its not a property intrinsic of acid spells, but a side affect of nearly all acid spells being Conjouration rather than Evocation, a school in which most spells allow SR.

Thurbane
2011-02-07, 08:42 PM
If you think that's wonky, then Orb of Force will blow your mind - a spell that conjures a non-magical (i.e. SR = no) ball of magical force! :smallbiggrin:

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-07, 09:04 PM
If you think that's wonky, then Orb of Force will blow your mind - a spell that conjures a non-magical (i.e. SR = no) ball of magical force! :smallbiggrin:

People really need to find something else to mention in these discussions.

Psyren
2011-02-07, 09:38 PM

I forget which thread, but hamish and I were actually hashing out how this could make sense. Just as conjured fire comes from the Plane of Fire, there could be a hypothetical plane of Force (similar, for instance, to the one Maze (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/maze.htm) sends you to) from which a conjurer could pull the material he needs to make such an orb.

Thurbane
2011-02-07, 10:20 PM
People really need to find something else to mention in these discussions.
Aw c'mon, it IS a pretty weird concept.

Anyway, since when has the same thing being posted over and over again not been part of these forums? Hello Monkday threads; ToB: sucks or awesome; Paladins should(n't) fall etc etc. :smalltongue:

I forget which thread, but hamish and I were actually hashing out how this could make sense. Just as conjured fire comes from the Plane of Fire, there could be a hypothetical plane of Force (similar, for instance, to the one Maze sends you to) from which a conjurer could pull the material he needs to make such an orb.
Yeah, that is one potnetial explanation.

For the record, I really don't have a problem with orb of Force, it's just a little odd, is all...