PDA

View Full Version : Party D&D

Godskook
2011-02-07, 02:54 AM
So, over the last month or so of sessions, I've developed a rule that any player who amuses me in a way that I deem is appropriate to the game gets 1xp, +1 for each second I'm stuck laughing. If the timing is off, no xp(i.e., no ruining dramatic moments). Recently, this extended into giving 5xp each time a player kills 3 targets in the same encounter, 1xp for each additional target hit by a AoE attack, and 1xp for each stabilization made mid-encounter.

So, whatcha think, and any thoughts on others?

rayne_dragon
2011-02-07, 03:18 AM
The extra xp of AoEs makes no sense to me. It's enough of a reward that they get to hit that many targets. It's also something that people will generally do anyways, plus it kinda makes the other rewards feel extra tiny by comparison. The others are all pretty cool, although the xp amount is a pitance.

Personally, I like to reward players who bring food to share with the group with a fair sized xp bonus.

dsmiles
2011-02-07, 06:01 AM
I tend more towards rewarding good roleplaying than good rollplaying (you get enough XP for killing monsters already, IMO), although I also give a "Get the DM to Shoot Mountain Dew Out of His Nose" (yes, that is the title of the reward) bonus for humor (usually about 100 - 200 XP, depending on the quantity of Dew coming out of my nasal passages). You can earn roleplaying rewards by doing unique and/or spectacular things (things not related to number crunching, that is).

I use RP's (Roleplaying Points), and the system works like so:

1 RP = 10% bonus XP (100 XP + 1 RP = 110 XP).
2 RP's = 10% bonus + 10% bonus (100 XP + 2 RP's = 121 XP)
3 RP's = 10% bonus + 10% bonus + 10% bonus ( 100 XP + 3 RP's = 133 XP)

Alternatively, RP's can be spent for "plot armor," like so:

1 RP = Automatic success on a stabilization roll.
2 RP = Automatic success on a saving throw.
3 RP = Next raise dead is on the house. (I play in the Iron Kingdoms, where raise dead is a 9th level spell.)

All RP's expire at the end of the current session, if not spent, you automatically get the bonus XP. I've never given out more than 3 RP's to any individual, as earning each successive RP in a session becomes increasingly difficult.

BobSutan
2011-02-07, 05:52 PM
NOT a fan of out of game XP. In fact it defeats the purpose of D&D all together--escapism. If real life is impacting your fantasy then it's time to find another group IMO.

Comet
2011-02-07, 05:59 PM
NOT a fan of out of game XP. In fact it defeats the purpose of D&D all together--escapism. If real life is impacting your fantasy then it's time to find another group IMO.

This where opinions are going to differ wildly. For me, escapism and 'becoming' a character are the last things I want from a roleplaying session. It's all about hanging out with friends and creating a story together for me.
Not that your method is wrong, either, just the polar opposite of mine.

Anyway, on the original post, I aprove of the laugh XP and the roleplaying XP. Back when we were playing World of Darkness, I was a huge fan of having one volunteer player recap stuff at the beginning of a session and then everyone would end the session by stating what their characters had learned about the world and themselves, all for a small XP boost. That, plus the mandatory Coolness XP, where the group votes for the most awesome moment of the game and which characters were the driving force of that moment.

Thurbane
2011-02-07, 08:26 PM
I often give ad-hoc XP bonuses, mainly for roleplaying. Also, fortune favours the brave: if someone pulls a risky/foolhardy manouvre off successfully, I like to reward them for it.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-02-07, 09:05 PM
I've decided recently to give the members of the party bonus exp for a few things, basically devoted to two categories.

- At the end of each day, I give the best role player of the night exp equal to 100 x their ECL. I wanted it to be a bigger deal at lower levels, because I figure if we're high level and people still need incentive to roleplay, something's wrong.
- I give some level of exp (generally a straight 100) for things they do to make the game run better while not in the game. Writing a good backstory, attempting to draw their character, etc etc.

I thought about devoting some extra experience per encounter to the "MVP" of the game, but changed my mind based on a few things. Namely:

- If a power imbalance exists between characters, giving the one doing better more experience will only serve to widen that gap.
- On a related note, this would encourage min/maxed builds rather than builds that match the character concept (I admit these can both exist in a single character, but I think there's a limit to how far you can go.)
- I feel like role playing shouldn't be limited to non-combat. Unless you have a full team of battle hardened emotionless veterans, characters will probably be prone to fighting with less than 100% efficiency. A warrior might sacrifice a flanking opportunity to attempt to help his friend. A wizard thrown into a rage (emotional rage, not barbarian rage) probably won't be economic with his spells as he blasts. Giving exp to the most strategically excellent player would ruin some good roleplaying opportunity.

Pronounceable
2011-02-07, 10:59 PM
I did that too, back when I was playing DnD. Usually +5. But I also gave -xp for bad jokes. We don't want the game to turn into a pun rain, do we?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-02-08, 12:43 AM
I haven't seen it done in-game, but I like the idea of the group sharing bonus XP. That way if there are two well-RP'd moments and the DM forgets to reward one (or his taste on what a 'good RP' moment is differs from the players) no one has to feel too burned for it. There's a bit of a free rider problem, but in small enough groups it should work fine.

Combat Reflexes
2011-02-08, 05:37 AM
Actually my DM glanced over the RAW XP system once, and rejected it. We now get XP based on what we actually did all day and everyone's ok with it.

Kaww
2011-02-08, 05:42 AM
Alternatively, RP's can be spent for "plot armor," like so:

1 RP = Automatic success on a stabilization roll.
2 RP = Automatic success on a saving throw.
3 RP = Next raise dead is on the house. (I play in the Iron Kingdoms, where raise dead is a 9th level spell.)

All RP's expire at the end of the current session, if not spent, you automatically get the bonus XP. I've never given out more than 3 RP's to any individual, as earning each successive RP in a session becomes increasingly difficult.

I award DM points. They are cumulative, don't expire at the end of a session.

1 - anything that would've killed you (not including SoD); leaves you at -9 unconscious, but stable
2 - reroll
5 - No die roll - you say what you rolled
10 - +1 to a certain stat (you have to add +1 to all stats before you are eligible to increase a stat by 2)

Jay R
2011-02-08, 07:36 AM
So, over the last month or so of sessions, I've developed a rule that any player who amuses me in a way that I deem is appropriate to the game gets 1xp, +1 for each second I'm stuck laughing.

In the game TOON, from Steve Jackson Games, this is official.
4. Any player who reduces the Animator to helpless laughter gets one Plot Point.

Combat Reflexes
2011-02-08, 12:26 PM
4. Any player who reduces the Animator to helpless laughter gets one Plot Point.

That's awesome! You can tickle the GM with a feather to advance your character! :smallcool:

Think of all the options!