PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companion

2xMachina
2011-02-07, 03:22 AM
Is there anything barring the Druid from picking an Advanced HD version of the animal for Animal Companion?

They're still pretty typical, just older, thus grown more?

For example, the ape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ape.htm), can grow up to 8HD. Why not pick the 8HD ape, rather than the 4HD ape?

HunterOfJello
2011-02-07, 03:34 AM
The SRD says that, "A 1st-level druid’s companion is completely typical for its kind except as noted below."

You can try and argue with your DM that a 2nd level druid should not have to match this description, but the intention of the authors is rather obvious. An animal companion is to start as a typical example of its species as noted in the MM and then progress as shown on the Animal Companion table.

2xMachina
2011-02-07, 03:37 AM
Yes, but isn't the 8HD ape also typical? The 4HD one is merely the smallest adult animal of the type.

Yeah, the 8HD one is older and all, but it is still pretty normal.

LansXero
2011-02-07, 03:43 AM
But could you advance it (perhaps even in size) if it gets enough bonus HD from the animal companion table?

2xMachina
2011-02-07, 03:48 AM
No. Bonus HD is different. They do not grow in size from Bonus HD, but gaining more Animal HD grows in size.

I assume gaining more Racial HD is like dragons, get older.

HunterOfJello
2011-02-07, 03:51 AM
Yes, but isn't the 8HD ape also typical? The 4HD one is merely the smallest adult animal of the type.

No, the 4HD example is a typical creature of its kind. An advanced Ape with increased hit die would be atypical.

The SRD states that, "Each of the monster entries describes a typical creature of its kind." It then goes on to mention the ways in which a creature could be more powerful than a typical example of its kind. The second example explains creatures with Increased Hit Dice as usually superior to their run-of-the-mill fellows.

~

Also, as stated in the 3.5e FAQ, no Animal Companion increase in size due to Bonus HD from being a Druid Animal Companion.

2xMachina
2011-02-07, 05:12 AM
Ok, got it.

Last Laugh
2011-02-07, 06:55 AM
Also, as stated in the 3.5e FAQ, no Animal Companion increase in size due to Bonus HD from being a Druid Animal Companion.

This is something I just assumed for years, I can't even imagine how many DMs are mad at my large wolf. (I know one of them hates giant eagles forever now.)