View Full Version : Sleeping in/out/over/between

rakkoon
2011-02-07, 03:49 AM
This morning

*alarm clock goes off*
Rakkoon "What day is it?"
Mrs Rakkoon "Monday"
Rakkoon "Isn't our alarm clock a little late then?"
Mrs Rakkoon "No, you help me get the children ready by 7.50 just like every day"
Rakkoon "..."
Rakkoon "6.50 honey"
Mrs Rakkoon "GASP"

Haven't shaved but got here on time, a bit early even :smallsmile:

Any similar sleeping stories?

AsteriskAmp
2011-02-07, 04:18 AM
Happened a week ago

-Wakes up-
-Sees maid is cleaning room-

Why are you cleaning my room?
Your mother was afraid of the possibility of you having an asthma attack because of the amount of dust in your room.
Couldn't you wait until I was awake to do so?
It's already 2:00 p.m.
Oh well, at least I have no activities today.
You have your German lessons.
No, those are on Wednesday, we are Tuesday.
You slept through Tuesday, we are on Wednesday.

rakkoon
2011-02-07, 04:23 AM
Uhm. Is it normal for you to sleep more than 24 hours in a row or is there something we should know :smallwink:?

My grandma once slept for 48 hours bit that was because she got confused with her sleeping pills. She's in a rest home now and is quite happy there.

AsteriskAmp
2011-02-07, 04:27 AM
Uhm. Is it normal for you to sleep more than 24 hours in a row or is there something we should know :smallwink:?

My grandma once slept for 48 hours bit that was because she got confused with her sleeping pills. She's in a rest home now and is quite happy there.

It's normal in the sense that it happens more often than it should.
During vacations it's product of my 52 hour days, and the rest of the year it's because I sleep around 2 hours each day but make up for it during the weekend.

rakkoon
2011-02-07, 04:34 AM
O-kay...I'm guessing you don't have kids. Enjoy it while it lasts :smallamused:

IonDragon
2011-02-07, 05:05 AM
O-kay...I'm guessing you don't have kids. Enjoy it while it lasts :smallamused:

Not that you won't be getting only 2 hours of sleep a night, but rather that you won't be catching up on the weekend.

Personally I haven't any recent stories, however when I was unemployed by sleep schedule got pushed back about an hour a day. It wasn't all that bad, except for the sun. If I would have been able to blot out the sun in my apartment I would have just gotten my 8-10/night then gotten up for a 15-17 hour day. However the sun ruined this, coming through the window and making it so I could not fall asleep after about 6 in the AM, so I was forced to stay up for a further ~8 hours until I was exhausted.

AsteriskAmp
2011-02-07, 05:09 AM
Not that you won't be getting only 2 hours of sleep a night, but rather that you won't be catching up on the weekend.

Personally I haven't any recent stories, however when I was unemployed by sleep schedule got pushed back about an hour a day. It wasn't all that bad, except for the sun. If I would have been able to blot out the sun in my apartment I would have just gotten my 8-10/night then gotten up for a 15-17 hour day. However the sun ruined this, coming through the window and making it so I could not fall asleep after about 6 in the AM, so I was forced to stay up for a further ~8 hours until I was exhausted.
Are you aware of black-out curtains?

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-07, 05:14 AM
Once, a girlfriend staying over set the alarm to wake her up for a one PM class on my phone, which is set to twenty-four hour time. She missed her class and my alarm went off at one AM the next day.

Eldan
2011-02-07, 05:16 AM
So, me standing up.

Father: "Oh, you're still here, I thought you were gone. No school today?"
Me: "Why?"
Father: "Well, mostly because it's 1PM, really."
Me: "Crap."

For the record, I should have gotten up at 6am, but my alarm malfunctioned.

rakkoon
2011-02-07, 05:21 AM
I knew a girl in Spain who could not get up in the morning.
She had four alarm clocks, one of which was set on top of a closet at the other end of the room.
She woke up in the middle of the day, snuggling four alarm clocks :smalleek:

AsteriskAmp
2011-02-07, 05:26 AM
I knew a girl in Spain who could not get up in the morning.
She had four alarm clocks, one of which was set on top of a closet at the other end of the room.
She woke up in the middle of the day, snuggling four alarm clocks :smalleek:

This may help (http://www.soundclarity.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp_Q_id_E_44_A_cat_E_ALARM+CL OCKS)
Another alternative would be some kind of electro shocking alarm clock, I remember seeing it as a school science fair project years ago. But I know that would also be risky as there is always the risk it will screw your heart over.

rakkoon
2011-02-07, 05:29 AM
I'd suggest a boyfriend who does wake up from an alarm clock.
Or a robot.

@V a mom will do nicely too :smallsmile:

Eldan
2011-02-07, 05:30 AM
For a while, as a teenager, that happened to me as well. I could stand up, walk across the room, switch off the alarm clock and go back to bed, all without really waking up. Luckily, my mother had to get up to work half an hour before me, so she could boot me out of bed. Quite vigorously, really. I think she enjoyed it.

Also, once I fell asleep on the floor of my room, after standing up, going to the toilet, taking a shower and coming back. I sat down to put on my socks and fell asleep.

IonDragon
2011-02-07, 05:31 AM
Are you aware of black-out curtains?

While we are quite aware of black out curtains, see "unemployed" as well as "apartment". I live in a college town and any alteration (screw holes) requires patching on move out, and that's much too much work.

Which actually reminds me. I have quite a bit of experience going to bed and waking up on the floor in the morning. The 2' fall did nothing at all to wake me.

Eldan
2011-02-07, 05:36 AM
Pushing full book cases in front of the windows? I did that for a while, since my room had six windows.

IonDragon
2011-02-07, 05:37 AM
Pushing full book cases in front of the windows? I did that for a while, since my room had six windows.

Ah... A brilliant idea in hind sight. I've since gotten a job and moved so it's no longer an issue, but that would have been brilliant since I only had the one window that was causing problems.

Aedilred
2011-02-07, 03:10 PM
At uni I used to pull all-nighters to finish essays. When I first started, these were genuine all-nighters, but as terms and years wore on, I got more and more blase and would go to bed earlier and earlier, leaving me less time in the evening to read, and less time in the morning to write. Also I found myself getting up later and later in the preceding morning, thus constricting reading time even more.

To combat this, I used to pile all the junk that normally lived on the floor in my room onto my bed- the idea being that I'd be too tired and lazy to clear the junk off the bed and would just keep working. It worked great at keeping me out of the bed, but I just slept on the floor instead...

My sleeping pattern was a point of much comment even among those notoriously strict timekeepers that are students. During my second year, if I was out of bed by 2pm, that was a good start to the day. I was usually making it up at the other end, though. To be honest, this appears still to be my default sleeping pattern. If I'm left to my own devices for more than about three days, I start reverting to the early-morning bedtime, early afternoon awakening pattern. It's rather strange.

Obrysii
2011-02-07, 03:19 PM
Once, I was able to sleep in until 7:45am. Shocking, I know.

I'm normally up by 6am, regardless of how late I am out.

IcarusWings
2011-02-07, 03:25 PM
Not really any sleeping in accidents, but I wake up at 5:30 every morning on a weekday, which means I'm never awake until long into the afternoon on a weekend.

Admiral Squish
2011-02-07, 03:35 PM
Currently unemployed, and let me tell you, it's all kinds of weird on your sleep. Sleep in to noon? Sure! Bedtime at 4 AM? Why not! Stayed up for 72 hours straight on a mad rush of adrenaline, endorphins, praise, and sugar? Hell yes!

For a while I was sleeping from noon to eight PM.

Also, I have terrible problems with alarm clocks. I've tried a number of solutions. I get up, walk across the room, turn it off, and go back to sleep. I've eventually settled on setting the alarm for an hour prior to my real wake-up time, so I have time to slap snooze like six times.

Comet
2011-02-07, 04:35 PM
I tried to set my alarm earlier to allow for more fun with the snooze slamming, but my half-asleep brain would always convince me that pushing snooze for the fifth time was all kinds of stupid and that I should just relax, lay down for a while to get my thoughts sorted out and get up.

It's amazing how convincing my brain can be when I'm not fully awake. And that always leads me to sleeping in because my brain is also a liar whenever it tells me that it's okay to shut my eyes for just one minute more.

Deathslayer7
2011-02-07, 04:43 PM
I set my alarm about 20 minutes earlier so I can slap Snooze twice two before I have to get up.

Admiral Squish
2011-02-07, 04:52 PM
I tried to set my alarm earlier to allow for more fun with the snooze slamming, but my half-asleep brain would always convince me that pushing snooze for the fifth time was all kinds of stupid and that I should just relax, lay down for a while to get my thoughts sorted out and get up.

It's amazing how convincing my brain can be when I'm not fully awake. And that always leads me to sleeping in because my brain is also a liar whenever it tells me that it's okay to shut my eyes for just one minute more.

That is why I've paired this technique with an EXTREMELY loud and absolutely infuriating alarm. Impossible to sleep through, even for me. In fact, impossible for everyone in the house...

KuReshtin
2011-02-07, 06:40 PM
I've got a clock radio that goes off about an hour before I need to get out of bed, and also I've set up my mobile phone with four alarms with all different alarm tones and ones that does not just have one static note, so that it doesn't just become something incorporated in my dreams.

Doesn't stop me from sleeping through it all on occason. Last time I did so, I woke up half an hour after my shift at work started. Got in to work an hour and 15 minutes late.

Icewalker
2011-02-07, 07:09 PM
I tend to have pretty normal sleeping. Sometimes I stay up, and when I do I often sleep way in, but I always wake up to my alarm, which is my phone, set only to vibrate for the alarm, under my pillow. I've decided recently to actually set myself to a reasonable sleep schedule, and one which gives me more time in the mornings. So now I'm getting up at 7:30 (for my first class at 10). Spend a couple hours getting up, stretching, do some Tai Chi, eat breakfast, head to first class.

Haruki-kun
2011-02-07, 07:36 PM
Every morning. Every single morning:

*alarm goes off*
Me: Hmm.... three hours left before class.... OK, another half hour.
*snoozes 30 minutes. alarm goes off again*
Me: Eh.... Two hours is enough.
*snoozes another 30 minutes alarm goes off*
.....I don't really need to shower right now...
*snoozes another hour or so*
....eh, I'll just have breakfast at the school cafeteria, quickly before class.

To make a long story short, I usually end up running into class, late, food still in mouth, hair a mess. I wonder if people with short hair can wake up later.

KuReshtin
2011-02-07, 08:39 PM
I wonder if people with short hair can wake up later.

Short answer: Yes.

I can get up at 8:15AM, get a shower, get dressed, drive the 25 minutes to work, while stopping at the shops to buy breakfast on the way, and still be at my desk at 9am for the start of my shift.

My alarm goes off at 7AM every morning, though, but I almost never get up before 8AM at the earliest.

Eadin
2011-02-07, 09:00 PM
I had my last examof that term. Pulled an all-nighter.
Exam at 9 AM, back at the dorm at 11AM.
Decide to take a nap, I wake up at 11 PM because my friend rang me to ask where I was, I was supposed to be at the club 15 minutes ago.
We party 'till 6 AM, I sleep 'till 10PM, my phone's alarm wakes me up because I had a birthday party.

I usually go to sleep around 4 AM and wake up around 1PM

:smallbiggrin:

Thufir
2011-02-07, 09:14 PM
Once, a girlfriend staying over set the alarm to wake her up for a one PM class on my phone, which is set to twenty-four hour time. She missed her class and my alarm went off at one AM the next day.

I've done that before - though in my case the clock was 12 hour, but would switch from am to pm, which I hadn't noticed. But surely if the class was at 1 she would've set the alarm at least a bit before that?

To combat this, I used to pile all the junk that normally lived on the floor in my room onto my bed- the idea being that I'd be too tired and lazy to clear the junk off the bed and would just keep working. It worked great at keeping me out of the bed, but I just slept on the floor instead...

I used to do that to encourage me to put the stuff away. Net result: mess confined to roughly half the bed, I sleep on the other half.

Every morning. Every single morning:

*alarm goes off*
Me: Hmm.... three hours left before class.... OK, another half hour.
*snoozes 30 minutes. alarm goes off again*
Me: Eh.... Two hours is enough.
*snoozes another 30 minutes alarm goes off*
.....I don't really need to shower right now...
*snoozes another hour or so*
....eh, I'll just have breakfast at the school cafeteria, quickly before class.

To make a long story short, I usually end up running into class, late, food still in mouth, hair a mess. I wonder if people with short hair can wake up later.

That sounds a lot like me. But I always had to get the metro in, so that would give me an opportunity to comb my hair and eat, if necessary.

Kris Strife
2011-02-07, 09:28 PM
I've actually managed to have coherent conversations with someone who was trying to wake me up, including telling them I was awake and getting dressed, with no memory of it. :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2011-02-07, 09:42 PM
I do the two hours of sleep thing during weeks, but I'm incapable of sleeping for more than ten hours or so at a time... :smallfrown:

rakkoon
2011-02-08, 03:10 AM
Ok, you read the first post, this is exactly one friggin day later:

*Rakkoon wakes up after prodding from Mrs Rakkoon *
*Rakkoon goes downstairs, takes out his clothes for the day, brushes his teeth and looks at his watch*
*Rakkoon shows the watch to Mrs Rakkoon*
*GASP*
*5.12*
*We both go back to bed*

I guess she was compensating for yesterday :smallwink:

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-08, 06:21 AM
I've done that before - though in my case the clock was 12 hour, but would switch from am to pm, which I hadn't noticed. But surely if the class was at 1 she would've set the alarm at least a bit before that?

Caitlin believes ladies were always fashionably late. Especially to class. That's not just a witty quip, that's what she actually believes.

Ragitsu
2011-02-08, 06:25 AM
Do you find that you sleep better, or worse, when outdoors?

Xyk
2011-02-08, 08:55 PM
I sleep about 12 hours on weekends and 6 on weekdays. So Mondays are no fun. Yesterday morning though, I had some post-sleeping confusion. I seemed to think there were multiple people inside me. Like one of them was angry that the others weren't turning off the alarm. :smallconfused:

Trobby
2011-02-08, 10:19 PM
One time at camp, I was told that I was singing in my sleep.

Yes, SINGING in my sleep. And as far as I know, this only happened one time.

rakkoon
2011-02-09, 08:50 AM
In only did that while I was sedated. Started singing twice and practising my martial arts with one arm (other one was in an IV)

IonDragon
2011-02-09, 03:57 PM
One time at camp, I was told that I was singing in my sleep.

Yes, SINGING in my sleep. And as far as I know, this only happened one time.

Singing? Not me. Although once my girlfriend told me that I had been talking to my best friend (who wasn't there) and bouncing optimization ideas for a homebrew system we no longer use off of him.

Just the other night I was telling my coworker an amusing anticdote (out loud and obviously in my sleep) which said girlfriend didn't think made any sense at all since she was still awake.

Until this relationship I had no idea I talked in my sleep.

Lex-Kat
2011-02-10, 07:49 PM
Happened a week ago

-Wakes up-
-Sees maid is cleaning room-
Wait... you have a maid? :smallconfused: Is she cute? Does she wear one of those cute litle french maid uniforms? :smallwink:

I'm pretty much like Haruki. Constantly slapping my Snooze button. And if I'm really tired, sometimes I turn my clock completely off, still completely asleep, and don't wake up until my body decides it's time.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-10, 11:04 PM
My mum just kicks me awake. I share a room with my little brother, so an alarm clock wouldn't work for us...

VarianArdell
2011-02-11, 04:36 AM
any more, I just use the alarm clock here (http://www.clock2d.com/), with the monitor turned off. this way, I have to go to the other side of my room, turn on the monitor, and then turn off the alarm clock... quite effective, until the computer decides it wants to shut itself off to install updates...

on the topic of bizarre sleeping schedules, mine tends to rotate... one week I'll sleep from 10p to 6a, then the next I'll sleep from 5a to 12p... then there was the month I'd sleep for 12 hours, then stay awake for 36...

Traab
2011-02-11, 11:42 AM
When I worked third shift I used to get into all sorts of scheduling errors with my sleep. Common conversations would be like this.

"Morning"
"Its 7pm"
"Oh, ok, what day is it?"

I once drove halfway to work before I realized that I was about 12 hours early. I had woken up early for some reason, and due to it being a rather nasty storm it wasnt quite as blatantly clear that it was 10 am not 10 pm. And being truly exhausted since I had only slept for 2-3 hours, well, I wasnt at my best mental coherency. My sister was at school, my parents at work, so noone was there to tell me it was not nighttime yet.

MoonCat
2011-02-11, 12:02 PM
I do all sorts of weird things in my sleep.

One time I got up, walked downstairs, and kissed a lampshade (I wonder what I was dreaming).

Another time I was on an overnight boat and managed to get several floors and to the other end of the boat in my sleep (It's a mercy I didn't go sleep swimming), and then woke up standing with no idea where I was.

Once when I was little I sleepwalked down the same stairs as before, only fell, and woke up as I was falling. And then I hit the floor.

Inigo Montoya
2011-02-11, 10:18 PM
One day, during math class....

"Boy, it's warm, And these chairs are really soffff-"
Five minutes later, I wake up in the middle of a snore. Fortunately I was in the back of the class room, and the teacher is a bit deaf.

Xyk
2011-02-11, 11:07 PM
One day, during math class....

"Boy, it's warm, And these chairs are really soffff-"
Five minutes later, I wake up in the middle of a snore. Fortunately I was in the back of the class room, and the teacher is a bit deaf.

Hah! Only one day. That happens every single day of my school week.

Mecharious
2011-02-11, 11:12 PM
I failed a class because I slept through the midterm. I studied so hard that I was too zonked off to hear my alarm go off in the morning.