PDA

View Full Version : Building Indiana Jones and Lara Croft Expies

Chilingsworth
2011-02-07, 06:53 AM
Hey guys!

Got another challenge for you,

My group is starting a new campaign soon. We'll be playing tomb protectors, fighting and repelling "adventurers." Basically, Indiana Jones, Lara Croft, and the guys from the Mummy movies. Can anyone think of some appropriate builds for expies of these characters?

The party level is 9th
It will have 6-7 players depending on who shows up
The Expies are NPC's
These guys will be the party enemies.

Edit: A Defnition:

Expy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Expy)

Eldan
2011-02-07, 07:11 AM
These are probably somewhere in the skill-monkey part of the classical four roles, with some dexterous fighting thrown in. So look at classes like Rangers, scouts, swashbucklers and rogues.

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-07, 09:50 AM
Lara. Her name is Lara.

I'd say some sort of Scout/Swashbuckler/Factotum blend.

Chilingsworth
2011-02-07, 10:55 AM
Lara. Her name is Lara.

Fixed, and thanks for the suggestion.

LibraryOgre
2011-02-07, 02:17 PM
Indiana Jones is, IMO, the quintessential "good thief" of 2nd edition. He's sneaky, understands locks and traps, and can read a huge array of ancient languages. He's not much of a fighter, usually relying on wit, stealth and surprise rather than straight up punching (witness the fight against the Nazi on the plane in RotLA... he's getting pounded in that fight until he maneuvers the guy into the plane rotor). Thus, in d20 you're probably looking at a rogue, with a feat that gives him knowledge skills.

For Brendan Frazier's "Mummy" character (whose name escapes me at the moment), I'd put him more ranger. He's a lot more punchy/fighty, and much less cerebral.

Comet
2011-02-07, 02:22 PM
What about Nathan Drake? Almost as cool as Indiana Jones, many times cooler than the guy from Mummy.

Zuljita
2011-02-07, 02:26 PM
The factotum description in Dungeonscape says that if you take the gun from Indiana Jones and add magic in its place, you have a Factotum. I would work that angle.

Chilingsworth
2011-02-07, 03:02 PM
What about Nathan Drake? Almost as cool as Indiana Jones, many times cooler than the guy from Mummy.

Never heard of him.

That reminds me, in addition to builds, please share any other characters you think could be appropriate epies (preferably with their story/movie/show of origin.)

LibraryOgre
2011-02-07, 03:08 PM
The factotum description in Dungeonscape says that if you take the gun from Indiana Jones and add magic in its place, you have a Factotum. I would work that angle.

One of these days, I need to actually read that.

Comet
2011-02-07, 03:58 PM
Never heard of him.

Nate is a 'professional' adventurer/thrill-seeker and the protagonist of the 'Uncharted' series of video games on the PS3. If you want to be simplistic, he could be described as a male Tomb Raider.

Except that he feels like an actual human being while doing his crazy stunts and adventuring around the globe. While Lara might just jump around and kill wolves by the dozen without messing up her make up, Nathan Drake's victories come by the skin of his teeth.
He's an action hero, for sure, but his achievements in combat come mainly through luck and determination. His acievements in uncovering ancient relics and remnants of long dead civilizations, however, are entirely based on skill and an analytical mind that triumphs under stress. He's pretty close to Indiana Jones, but with a more reckless and dangerous attitude to his job and life in general.

I didn't think much of the Uncharted series until I actually played Uncharted 2. The gameplay and graphics are pretty much genius and the writing is one of the most engaging pieces in gaming for years. As I said earlier, Nate really feels like a human being despite some of the outrageous stunts he pulls of every now and again.

But yeah, Lara is more of a fighter, Indy is more of a trickster.

Reynard
2011-02-07, 04:12 PM
If only you could take Favoured Enemy (Endangered Species) and (Hired Goons).

Lara definitely has some Ranger.

Zuljita
2011-02-07, 04:15 PM
One of these days, I need to actually read that.

It's actually a very fun read. Discusses lots of dungeon tropes, and interesting ideas for spicing up a dungeon. Not to mention the nonmagical modifications to lewts like wand slots. IMO the whole book is pertinent to this discussion.

Analytica
2011-02-08, 05:38 PM
Indiana Jones might be multiclassed to Archivist, though only a few levels. He did have that much more dorky archaeologist colleague, though, who might be a full Archivist.

Vknight
2011-02-09, 09:06 PM
Also Indie has got some extra feats so a 1or 2dip in fighter.

Lara is not that bright so she should pull of the muscle. So no magic for her she also does not seem nearly as skilled as the others.

ericgrau
2011-02-09, 09:07 PM
Well, kobolds get a +2 to craft(trapmaking) and profession(mining).

Vknight
2011-02-09, 09:09 PM
Kobolds! You would dare insult Indie by saying he should be a Kobold!
Begone foul one!

stainboy
2011-02-09, 09:12 PM
Indiana Jones might be multiclassed to Archivist, though only a few levels. He did have that much more dorky archaeologist colleague, though, who might be a full Archivist.

There are a few divine rogue PrCs that would work for this too. Temple Raider of Olidammara, and Divine Trickster from this very website.

Extreme Explorer and Thunder Guide from Eberron also hit the swashbuckling pulp archeologist archetype. (Both are lacking in the crunch department though.)

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-09, 09:12 PM
Kobolds! You would dare insult Indie by saying he should be a Kobold!
Begone foul one!

You mean insult kobolds, surely.

Kobolds are awesome, blasphemer.

Vknight
2011-02-09, 09:14 PM
No they are not.

Also this is about Indie and he is far greater then any measely creature such as a Kobold.

Your foul words of Blasphemy are fool!
For I speak of the one who recovered the arc, and drank the cup, who fought the ultimate evil of his time!

Pechvarry
2011-02-09, 11:37 PM
...wut r expies?

Zonugal
2011-02-09, 11:40 PM
This is a build I did a whole ago (so it could use some serious upgrades) but something along these lines might work if you instead of placing them against him in pure combat you have them going through a trap-filled crypt racing against each other.

The Relic Hunter
Male Riklan 6th-Level Riklan Rogue
Size/Type: Medium Humanoid (Reptilian)
Hit Dice: 6d6+3 (44 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares),
Armor Class: 11 (+0 armor, +1 Dex), touch 11, flat-footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+4
Attack: Unarmed Strike +4 melee (1d3+0/20) or Whip +4 melee (1d3+0/x2) or Hand Crossbow +6 ranged (1d4/19-20; 30ft.).
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Sneak Attack +3d6
Special Qualities: Racial Knowledge, Racial Aid, Trapfinding, Bardic Knowledge (+12)
Resistances: Trap Sense +2, Evasion.
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Bluff +12, Decipher Script +12, Diplomacy +4, Disable Device +12, Escape Artist +10, Intimidate +12, Knowledge (Arcana) +13, Knowledge (History) +15, Knowledge (Religion) +15, Listen +10, Spot +10, and Search +12.
Skill Tricks: Whip Climber
Feats: Education [1st], Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Whip) [3rd] and Persuasive [Rogue3] and Hand Crossbow Focus [6th].
Languages: Common, Abyssal, Celestial, and Infernal.
Challenge Rating: 6

mucat
2011-02-10, 12:24 AM
I'm having great fun playing a Factotum archaeologist (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=227005)in a PBP campaign right now. The class lends itself well to spur-of-the-moment improvisation, which gives it a great Indiana Jones flavor. ("I'm going after that truck." "How?" "I don't know. I'm making this up as I go!")

A more methiodical archaeologist would probably be an archivist, wizard, or cleric. A Lara Croft type would be more of a rogue/swashbuckler, I imagine. (I'm not actually familiar with that character, except by reputation.) And of course, a dig team will contain all sorts of hired muscle and skill.

Thurbane
2011-02-10, 01:37 AM
...wut r expies?
In this context, I'd say explorers...

---

It doesn't exactly fit any of the characters listed, but some PrCs like Loredelver and Dungeon Delver seem apt.

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-10, 05:02 AM
He's using TV Tropes jargong without explaining it. Surprise.

It means "an obvious imitation of another character".

Fri
2011-02-10, 05:09 AM
I don't know much about factotum, but I thought it's specifically said that indiana jones <->factotum?

I built a historian sort with whip back then, but she's a bard, and not really fighty. More lore gatherer/dungeon explorer.

Eldan
2011-02-10, 05:44 AM
If only you could take Favoured Enemy (Endangered Species) and (Hired Goons).

Lara definitely has some Ranger.

I'm pretty sure there's a variant somewhere that allows you to designate organizations as your favoured enemies.

Vknight
2011-02-10, 08:11 AM
Yup there is I don't remeber were but it exists

Yuki Akuma
2011-02-10, 08:22 AM
I'm pretty sure there's a variant somewhere that allows you to designate organizations as your favoured enemies.

It's called "Urban Ranger".

Asheram
2011-02-10, 08:25 AM
No indy without a few levels of the "Lasher" prestige class from the 3.0 books. :P

Amphetryon
2011-02-10, 08:27 AM
Complete Divine's Temple Raider of Olidammara is my stock answer for "how do I make Indiana Jones?" :smallsmile:

Chilingsworth
2011-02-10, 08:31 AM
...wut r expies?

Expy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Expy)

This is an Expy. Hope that helps!

Aergoth
2011-02-10, 08:39 AM
Levels of fighter for the extra feats to gain proficiency with Whip, Combat Expertise and Improved Disarm (so there's your first level?), the hit dice and BAB. And then stack that with levels of factotum.

Ossian
2011-02-10, 08:42 AM
So, Indy.....

Doctor Jones, a respected archaeology professor at Marshall College (named after producer Frank Marshall)[20] a fictional college in Connecticut.
We know he is pretty much a walking encyclopaedia of history, cultures, traditions, geography, plus an odd mix of a bunch of other things. That was also his upbringing (see the King of all Scots, Sir Connery). That screams "Expert".

He is a high point buy expert (STR, CON, DEX and especially CHA), sure, but still an expert. I don`t know the Archivist class that well, but if it works better for you, I guess you can exchange.

During his adventuring career he has his skirmishes with the Nazis, and even with the commies and the thugs. He might have picked up levels of scout, which is a high mobility, high skill point, resourceful class.

So, yeah, in the lead of the raiding party for you game, as far as seniority and expertise are concerned, and he kicks a very respectable amount of a**

EXPERT 8 / SCOUT 4 ?

Markus Brody and Henry Jones Sr.: old-age, experts 12-15 (Markus might even be a high INT low WIS and CHA old-age commoner/expert)

Lara croft
Much more of a hard-core fighter. Sure, speaks and reads a bunch of obscure languages (Sumeric and Mandarin? Wow...) but more of a killer, really.

I'd vote for Monk 6 / Ranger 6 (2WF, only they are guns)

Rick O'Connell
Even more "the muscle" of the band than Laura. He is a soldier of fortune, a solo and a fighter. Does not know much about the rosetta stone and does not speak kirikari, but he sure knows how to shoot, punch, drive like a devil and take lots of punishment.

Go Fighter 12, straight up. Maybe throw in some cross class skills for the archeo-lore. Weapon Focus: rifle, dual wielding if needs be, and improved unarmed strike/stunning fist. Improved Toughness, of course. Given the bad tier class, throw in a level of Barbarian, and refluff as that heroic surge and boost of vitality a good pulp hero has from time to time.

Evelyn Carnahan, or Mrs. O'donnell
Hmmm......pre mummy-2, Expert all the way. High level, skill focused, star CHA, but just an expert, like her brother Jonathan (only he is low CHA)
After the "awakening" +2 levels of Monk (monk weapon, twin Sais) and you got her

Ossian

Talya
2011-02-10, 09:29 AM
Levels of fighter for the extra feats to gain proficiency with Whip, Combat Expertise and Improved Disarm (so there's your first level?), the hit dice and BAB. And then stack that with levels of factotum.

Bard gets whip as a class proficiency. Fits Indy's academics (all those knowledge skills!) as well as dabbler in everything --though Factotum does it better.

Lara Croft also has to be factotum, but with a more martial bent. She's a guns expert and an acrobat extreme, but she also speaks a few dozen obscure languages and has a doctorate in archaeology, so you cannot ignore the academics. She's just no Indy...

Aergoth
2011-02-10, 10:51 AM
Bard gets whip as a class proficiency. Fits Indy's academics (all those knowledge skills!) as well as dabbler in everything --though Factotum does it better.
I think I could go for a low mix of bard and factotum. Maybe 3/6. Or Fighter, Bard, Factotum in a 2/3/4 mix, in that order (to capitalize on the fighter feats, get inspire competence as bard and at least 3 in factotum gives us Brains over brawn).
Perform (One-Liner) or Perform (Improvisation) could work as skills.
Indy should ideally have a decent spread, no less than 14 in any one skill. 14's all the way across would be a good place to start. If given the choice between mediocre points, lowest should be in charisma (12 ideally) and highest should go in constitution and intelligence.

Feats: Improved Disarm, Combat Expertise and Improved Unarmed Strike are all musts, as are quick draw and combat casting. Research would make a good bonus but it's not necessary.

If not, take Educated from Eberron. All Knowledge Skills are Class skills, bonuses in four, which should be Dungeoneering, History, Religion and any one other (though Architecture and Engineering, Arcana or Geography might be especially appropriate). It represents Junior's store of knowledge quite well.

Chilingsworth
2011-02-10, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys! I've linked this thread to the message board my gaming group uses, so my DM can take a look at it. Maybe he'll throw some of this stuff at us.

Sorry I didn't explain what an Expy is, my bad.

Vknight
2011-02-10, 11:26 AM
No problem most of us new it simply from are own geekyness.

Hazzardevil
2011-02-10, 12:41 PM
I reccomend for indy you have him a gestalt bard//2 rogue with spell relfextion, (That covers him maneuvering people into planes and such,)/factorum/temple raider and lasher. That pretty much covers indy,

Lara would be a drow (I think this fits her as a female) with a few levels of warblade, (I think this fits with her fighting skills.)