PDA

View Full Version : Spells that give you a good BAB?

Chells
2011-02-07, 10:37 AM
There is Divine Power and Valiant Fury. Are there any others? Also is there any spells that just give a good BAB and no additional bonuses? Lastly are there any arcane spells for this?
Thanks

Whammydill
2011-02-07, 10:40 AM
Limited wish to mimic Divine Power? Other than that, not sure. At higher levels Divine Favor isn't a bad buff to have running to eat up the BAB difference, though sadly it doesn't do anything for BAB itself.

I don't remember if Tenser's Transformation changes BAB offhand.

nekomata2
2011-02-07, 10:43 AM
There is (Tenser's) Transformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transformation.htm), though its a 6th lvl Sorc/Wiz spell and doesn't allow you to cast spells while its ongoing.

To get Divine Power as an arcane caster, you could also take the feat from Complete Divine, name escapes me at the moment, that grants you spells from a domain, though you need the appropriate wisdom score to cast it. Divine Power is on the War domain list.

Those are the only ones that come to mind.

Yorae
2011-02-07, 12:35 PM
There is (Tenser's) Transformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transformation.htm), though its a 6th lvl Sorc/Wiz spell and doesn't allow you to cast spells while its ongoing.

To get Divine Power as an arcane caster, you could also take the feat from Complete Divine, name escapes me at the moment, that grants you spells from a domain, though you need the appropriate wisdom score to cast it. Divine Power is on the War domain list.

Those are the only ones that come to mind.

I believe it's called Arcane Disciple.

imperialspectre
2011-02-07, 01:12 PM
Valiant Fury doesn't increase your BAB.

Skaven
2011-02-07, 01:17 PM

Yeah, I was going to say this.. but its amongst my list of 'spells so useless I have never ever seen it casts in my group or any game I have observed'.

Its more optimal to summon something with this spell slot to fight for you while you continue to cast spells.

2xMachina
2011-02-07, 01:23 PM
Additionally, the master may cast a spell with a target of "You" on his familiar (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself.

Pop it on your Familiar, rather than yourself.

ericgrau
2011-02-07, 01:28 PM
Hmm, polymorph + tenser's transformation, suddenly polymorphing the familiar doesn't suffer from the poor BAB drawback. Only the low HP drawback. Takes preparation time though.

dextercorvia
2011-02-07, 01:31 PM

But then he can't use the spells I gave him through Imbue Familiar w/ Spell Ability.

FMArthur
2011-02-07, 01:33 PM

How is it that people are able to reliably throw their familiars into melee without it getting killed? I also hear about familiars being used to deliver touch spells a lot as their biggest benefit... but these things go down in one attack, lose the caster some experience points, and prevent him from bonding another for a year.

Reynard
2011-02-07, 01:46 PM
How is it that people are able to reliably throw their familiars into melee without it getting killed? I also hear about familiars being used to deliver touch spells a lot as their biggest benefit... but these things go down in one attack, lose the caster some experience points, and prevent him from bonding another for a year.

Well, a lot of familiars are very small, and many have crazy ACs. I guess a Dexterity buff and a casting of Shield or something, to make them pretty untouchable at low-medium levels.

dextercorvia
2011-02-07, 02:25 PM

Personally, I think that it's DM's being nice and not targeting the weak point.

Coidzor
2011-02-07, 03:45 PM
Well, gishes have higher HP totals and better numbers for familiars in general as well as getting naturally crunchier familiars sooner and there's a number of buffs for familiars to make them survive melee better.

Regular ones rely on either bigger distractions in the form of Beatsticks or...hide checks, I believe.

edit: Polymorphing... I think it's relying on a lack of ranged/caster support on the part of the enemy and using reach and meatshields to prevent effective reprisals on either wizard or familiar.