PDA

View Full Version : D&D? In my RL?

CycloneJoker
2011-02-07, 11:39 AM
I was wondering, hypothetically, if you could have any one magic item IRL, excluding Wish granting and the like, what would you guys get? You people are still stuck as first level commoners, or experts if you're lucky. What about if you could get two? Or even three?

NOTE: You can make the items, but you cannot give them multiple effects, only premade ones can.

JackMage666
2011-02-07, 11:42 AM
Amulet of Glibness.

That's all I need.

TalonDemonKing
2011-02-07, 11:43 AM
Isn't there some sort of ring that makes you effectively immortal and eternally young? There'd be a start :smallbiggrin:

What's the price on these items that we could have?

Psyren
2011-02-07, 11:45 AM
Ring of Sustenance! I could goof-off work all day!

Hat of Disguise would be fun too.

Lurkmoar
2011-02-07, 11:45 AM
Cloak of the Bat. It would let me be more sneaky.

CycloneJoker
2011-02-07, 11:53 AM
Isn't there some sort of ring that makes you effectively immortal and eternally young? There'd be a start :smallbiggrin:

Basically, the only restrictions are no epics. Possibly no use-activated, unlimited, but I haven't decided. I don't think such an item exists.

No responses for multiple items?

Draz74
2011-02-07, 11:53 AM
Ring of Sustenance! I could goof-off work all day!

Few items can compete with Ring of Sustenance in my book.

A custom item that casts Scholar's Touch at will would be even better, though.

Octopus Jack
2011-02-07, 11:54 AM
Necklace of Fireballs,

...what?

CycloneJoker
2011-02-07, 11:54 AM
Few items can compete with Ring of Sustenance in my book.

A custom item that casts Scholar's Touch at will would be even better, though.

Scholar's touch? What is it, what book is it from?

TheGeckoKing
2011-02-07, 11:56 AM
Sphere of Annihilation Amulet of Presdigidation or Ring of Sustenance. Dunno which to pick, really.

CycloneJoker
2011-02-07, 11:57 AM
Sphere of Annihilation Amulet of Presdigidation or Ring of Sustenance. Dunno which to pick, really.

See the second and third questions.

DeltaEmil
2011-02-07, 11:59 AM
Ring of Sustenance. No deal.

Curmudgeon
Belt of Magnificence +6 (Miniatures Handbook): just generally better in all ways.

Pika...

Same. Beat me to it.

If need be, I would take a ring of polymorph, since I believe that makes you of the young age category again. Plus, in a pinch I can turn into an Owlbear or T-Rex to save my ageless behind. :smallbiggrin:

Pentachoron
Ring or amulet of regeneration, I forget which it is.

Edit: Never mind, ring of polymorph and I could just turn into something with regeneration

Aharon
2011-02-07, 12:01 PM
Are Artifacts in or out? Technically, they are magical items, but if you exclude wish granting, you probably don't want artifacts either?

Assuming artifacts are allowed...
How about the orb of dragons that summons 2000 HD of Gold Dragons that obey you? (Like in the first D&D Film, it's statted out in a Dragon Magazine)
Or a Mythallar (Lost Empires of Faerun)

If artifacts aren't allowed, and in the spirit of the thread (no abusable stuff):
Rod of Security.

CycloneJoker
2011-02-07, 12:03 PM
Are Artifacts in or out? Technically, they are magical items, but if you exclude wish granting, you probably don't want artifacts either?

Assuming artifacts are allowed...
How about the orb of dragons that summons 2000 HD of Gold Dragons that obey you? (Like in the first D&D Film, it's statted out in a Dragon Magazine)
Or a Mythallar (Lost Empires of Faerun)

If artifacts aren't allowed, and in the spirit of the thread (no abusable stuff):
Rod of Security.

Yeah, no artifacts.

Draz74
2011-02-07, 12:06 PM
Scholar's touch? What is it, what book is it from?

Races of Destiny, or here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b&page=2).

Darklady2831
2011-02-07, 12:09 PM
Scroll of Gate, Use it to Travel to D&D's Material Plane, Study as wizard for several years, learn more magic.

Chilingsworth
2011-02-07, 12:11 PM
Belt of Magnificence +6 (Miniatures Handbook): just generally better in all ways.

This.

If you want me to say something that hasn't been said yet... A Necklace of Adaptation using the rules for adding specific effects found in the Magic Item Compendium to add +6 Wisdom to it.

Or a helm of comprehend languages using those same rules to add a +6 intelligence to it. (Though, I'd want the helm to be refulffed as something less showy and lighter, maybe a comfortable headband?)

Sebastrd
2011-02-07, 12:17 PM
A phylactery, provided my soul is in it.

Any way to get eternal life would do in a pinch.

Kurald Galain
2011-02-07, 12:20 PM
I thought you were talking about a D&D RogueLike :smallbiggrin:

Amnestic
2011-02-07, 12:21 PM
Carpet of Flying.

"I can show you the world,
Shining shimmering splendid~"

grimbold
2011-02-07, 12:29 PM
how bout a ring of 3 wishes?

Tyndmyr
2011-02-07, 12:29 PM
Cubic Gate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#cubicGate)

Cmon, you know it'd be a blast.

Tael
2011-02-07, 12:34 PM

Yes. Who doesn't want to be the perfect version of themselves? (without those nasty side effects..)

Kurald Galain
2011-02-07, 12:36 PM

"Honey, why are you wearing your belt to bed?" :smalltongue:

Pika...
2011-02-07, 12:42 PM
Hmm...what if
I chose a bag of holding, but ended up puncturing it? Where would I end up? :smalleek:

Tyndmyr
2011-02-07, 12:47 PM
The astral plane, of course. I am presuming this world is the material plane. Hopefully.

Curmudgeon
2011-02-07, 12:49 PM
Leather fetish? :smallbiggrin:

Re'ozul
2011-02-07, 01:08 PM
Well, the main idea would be the more expensive the better.

Things I'd like:

Mirror of mental Prowess:
- Spy on anyone or anywhere you have ever been. Though image only
- Read thoughts of anyone that visits you (put mirror in the living room)
- Make a portal to anywhere you can view with the clairvoyance function
- 1/week ask a question about a viewed being, get short and precise answer
This one is a shoe in for awesome. Especially if you wanna be evil. Though only needing to travel anywhere once has its non-evil perks as well.

Major Iceheart: Combat global warming with fimbulwinter. :smallbiggrin:

Ring of Djinni calling: Major creation (all djinni-created plant-matter is permanent). Most pharmaceuticals have plant based alternatives. And you can create 20 cubic feet every day ...

Trumpet of healing: be Patch Adams

Well of many worlds: Stargate

Ring of stalking + work for Interpol

Eyes of charming: hard to beat if everyone is at best a lvl1 expert.

Many more:

Things to have:

Only One: Mirror of mental Prowess (its simply awesome)

Two: The mirror and the well of many worlds. Since the well is two-way and doesn't change unless moved, you can step through it (if paranoid with your mirror) look around and then get back. By the way the mirror works, you now also have infinite access to that world.

three: the afforementioned ones and something to either make me immortal (phylactery or what have you) if that is a nono then the ring of djinni calling for food wine and other stuff.

Gnoman
2011-02-07, 01:11 PM
Girdle of masculinity/femininity

Or a pair of Boots of Teleportation.

slaydemons
2011-02-07, 01:23 PM
i personally would choose cloak of flying why because i can fly sure i am scared of heights but I could fly

some guy
2011-02-07, 01:24 PM
Well, if I could get one, it would be a Hat of Disguise.
2: Hat of Disguise, Periapt of Health
3: Hat of Disguise, Headband of Intellect +6 & Periapt of wisdom +6

Runners up:
Ring of Sustenance, Necklace of Adaptation, Mirror of mental Prowess

(a fun combo would be a ring of improved jumping and featherfall. "It's Jumpman! Watch him jump off the highest tower! See how he gently floats towards the ground!")

bokodasu
2011-02-07, 01:47 PM
Only one? A custom item of at-will Cure Disease. Be a doctor to the superrich on Mondays, visit community clinics on Tuesdays, take the rest of the week off and enjoy your enormous pile of wealth.

A second item would have to be a Hat of Disguise; don't want those rich people banging on your door on Wednesdays, or trying to sneak into clinics to get free treatment.

Third? Hm... I'd kind of want to say a Medallion of Thoughts, and then go on a bunch of those trivia game shows. I wouldn't want to use it as a general thing, though. A Lyre of Building would be nice, too.

Temet Nosce
2011-02-07, 01:59 PM
Use-activated item of Polymorph Any Object

Beyond that... I'd need to actually think about it a bit.

olthar
2011-02-07, 02:06 PM
I already have a gazebo so...
The Head of Vecna

A ring of endure elements seems nice right now (new england) or maybe I could see myself with a portable hole, or maybe a book of infinite spells

Mystic Muse
2011-02-07, 02:11 PM
A use activated item of scholar's touch.
A use activated item of "Change gender" (From BoEF is my understanding, and it should be called "Change sex") with the effects being permanent (Unless changed back) if they aren't already
A belt of magnificence +6, preferably in the ring slot instead of Belt.

Lurkmoar
2011-02-07, 02:12 PM
The Head of Vecna

Heh... heh... pff! Hahahaha!

The big question is how you'd put it on... :smallbiggrin:

Still, I haven't seen anything posted that would make me want to give up my Cloak of the Bat.

Coy
2011-02-07, 02:21 PM
Phylacteries? You guys are doing it wrong! Golden apples are where its at. But then again, you would have to witness the end of all days... So go with a ring of shapechange instead!

Telonius
2011-02-07, 02:26 PM
Item of at-will Plant Growth would be slow, but very profitable. Find a cash crop that has the highest profit margins, and go to town.

Decanter of Endless Water could be similarly profitable.

Lyre of Building could make you a house out of nothing.

Yorae
2011-02-07, 02:31 PM
Wasn't there a magical mug/tankard that could fill itself with any mundane liquid?

Telonius
2011-02-07, 02:33 PM
Wasn't there a magical mug/tankard that could fill itself with any mundane liquid?

Everfull Mug, iirc. Also very nice, but I'm not sure how much you could create in a day.

Tyndmyr
2011-02-07, 02:44 PM

Oh, you can wear it if you like, dear.

Mando Knight
2011-02-07, 02:44 PM
Heh... heh... pff! Hahahaha!

The big question is how you'd put it on... :smallbiggrin:
You don't. You hand it to someone else. "Here, have the Head of Vecna." "What's it do?" "If you replace your head with it, it should give you phenomenal cosmic power." "Cool! Wanna help me with that?"

Lurkmoar
2011-02-07, 02:46 PM
But the thread is about having one magic item in real life. Don't think a whole lot of people have heard about Vecna outside of D&D circles.

Chess435
2011-02-07, 02:49 PM
Hmmm..... the belt of magnificence would be hard to top. Though if there was something that would let me gate to the D&D prime material, I'd do that.

JonestheSpy
2011-02-07, 02:55 PM
Man, what's with all the "Rings o Sustenance? I like eating and sleeping.

Is needing less sleep and no food really better than the fun you could have with, say, a Ring of Telekinesis (CL 20, why not?), or Boots of Teleportation, a Mirror of Mental Prowess, or a +5 Tome of whatever attribute you're most into?

Re'ozul
2011-02-07, 03:00 PM
I don't understand the belt of magnificence being so awesome.
It can be taken from you. Its noticable.
Personally I have yet to see anything that would make me rethink my mirror of see/go anywhere.

Tyndmyr
2011-02-07, 03:05 PM
Even better, imagine if everyone got to pick an item. You know that someone, somewhere, would take the belt of gender changing.

Hilarity ensues.

DeltaEmil
2011-02-07, 03:07 PM
Man, what's with all the "Rings o Sustenance? Now you can live on air and love... Emphasis on love...

Chess435
2011-02-07, 03:09 PM
Even better, imagine if everyone got to pick an item. You know that someone, somewhere, would take the belt of gender changing.

Hilarity ensues.

Probably more than one person. :smallwink:

Not me though, if that's what you're thinking. Pervert.

Admiral Squish
2011-02-07, 03:18 PM
Hmm... if there's ABSOLUTELY no limits beyond pre-epic, I'd want to snowball a bunch of effects onto a single ring. Ring of sustaining magnificence +6 would probably be the #1 choice. Sleeping takes way too long as it is, and not having to eat or drink, but still able to? AWESOME. Plus, with that added intelligence/wisdom/charisma, I would probably be able to think in new, interesting ways. And +6 to all physical stats too? since 18 is the highest natural score, I would probably be on par with some of the top athletes in the world.

Curious
2011-02-07, 03:27 PM
A ring of eternal youth, definitely. Because there's nothing more depressing than dying of old age when you have the world at your fingertips.

Second, I'd probably take the Amulet of Glibness, so that I can basically rule the world after I've run a few tv talkshows.

Eternal dictator for the win! :smallbiggrin:

Gnoman
2011-02-07, 03:39 PM

Hilarity ensues.

Highlight my previous post.

Ichneumon
2011-02-07, 03:41 PM
Necklace of Fireballs,

...what?

I'd pick this one. I'm not a violent person, but seriously. If you have fireballs, there is nothing violence can't solve.:smallwink:

Mando Knight
2011-02-07, 03:58 PM
But the thread is about having one magic item in real life. Don't think a whole lot of people have heard about Vecna outside of D&D circles.

And that's why they aren't expecting the old "Head of Vecna" trap.

Personally, I'd want a ring of Polymorph Any Object or Alter Self, preferably at a fairly high caster level for the latter.

Marnath
2011-02-07, 04:26 PM
Ring of sustenance made of stainless steel so thieves won't steal it, enduring amulet(from the MiC, does endure elements and charges/day for fire/cold resist) and boots of striding and sprinting. No need for sustenance or shelter, I could wander the world aimlessly like I've always wanted to.:smallsmile:

Kobold-Bard
2011-02-07, 04:30 PM
Item of At-Will Polymorph Any Object.

oooooooooorrr...

Amulet of Permanent Timeless Body.

Anxe
2011-02-07, 05:28 PM
Ring of Unlimited Remove Disease. Using the item creation rules this might be overpowered for the price given, but I'm sure a modified price would still be underneath the epic magic item limit.

flabort
2011-02-07, 05:54 PM
Decanter of Endless Water, set up two companies at once:
Waterworks+Electric.
Simply use the Decanter to power a generator, and sell the electricity, then ship the water off to hundreds of homes, for a price again.

If I got two, I'd also take a ring gate. I'd not set up such a large waterworks opperation, but since the ring gates would keep the water flowing infinitly, even when the decanter isn't, I'd get a huge boost to the electric company.

And for a third object, ring of eternal youth.

BobSutan
2011-02-07, 05:59 PM
Cubic Gate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#cubicGate)

Cmon, you know it'd be a blast.

Ahem, *any* point in that plane. Including 20,000' above the surface or even at the bottom of the ocean, assuming that plane has a surface or ocean. It's much more likely that going through the portal is a suicide mission than anything else.

Magic Myrmidon
2011-02-07, 06:01 PM
Something like someone earlier said. Stack a bunch of effects on one item. Like a Ring of Teleporting, Sustenance, Fabrication, Glibness, and +6 Magnificence.

Yes.

Draz74
2011-02-07, 06:02 PM
Ring of Unlimited Remove Disease. Using the item creation rules this might be overpowered for the price given, but I'm sure a modified price would still be underneath the epic magic item limit.

For a similar effect, but less dramatic (which means it will get you less unwanted media attention), try an unlimited item of Plant Growth. Still ridiculously easy to make TONS of money and improve lots of lives at the same time.

woodenbandman
2011-02-07, 06:07 PM
Lyre of Building.

Underwater Colony (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpJXZq3gYtk)

BobVosh
2011-02-07, 06:33 PM
I would be tempted with at will heal.
1) Make a ton of money
2) Probably live for ridiculous length of time
3) I guess there is that "helping other people" thing as well
4) Probably afraid of the government hunting me down to steal it.
5) That would suck.
6) Selective healing of the rich kept on the down low instead.

Knaight
2011-02-07, 06:47 PM
+5 Tome of Intelligence

Why should be obvious. However, as a second choice, anything that grants permanent Tongues would be wonderful.

arguskos
2011-02-07, 06:57 PM
Any one item? And you're permitting artifacts? Why are we really talking about this? :smalltongue: I'm taking either The Deck of Many Things, The Machine of Lum the Mad, or Kuroth's Quill. Yeah, I live dangerously. Sue me. :smallamused:

If artifacts are banned, then assuming I can operate anything I acquire without issue, I take a Ring of Three Wishes with full wishes.

Lord Raziere
2011-02-07, 07:01 PM
any one item?
ring of invisibility

any two items?
ring of sustenance
ring of eternal youth

any three items?
ring of sustenance
ring of eternal youth
ring of invisibility

I'd be the invisible immortal who doesn't need to eat. I could do anything I want as long as I'm undiscovered.

true_shinken
2011-02-07, 07:10 PM

God, this exact same line was said at least twice in my last D&D session.
The character in question had a Belt of Magnificence.