PDA

View Full Version : What unusual little tricks have you discoved playing around with food?

Pika...
2011-02-07, 12:40 PM
I am someone who loves being inventive with what food I have. Just now for example I got the strange idea of tossing some Hispanic Badia (meant for meats?) on my bag of popcorn, and it turned out to my liking.

Another is to pour cinnamon into a half-foul jar of peanut butter and mix well. Tastes sooo good..:smalleek:

What quirky, but yummy, food tricks have you come up with?

thubby
2011-02-07, 12:53 PM
triscuits, spaghetti sauce, and mozzarella. microwave ~45 seconds or until the cheese melts.

grimbold
2011-02-07, 12:55 PM
cinnamon and applesauce is good
apples and peanut butter is also good
so is english muffins with cheese on top
also celery and carrots with peanut butter

Pika...
2011-02-07, 12:59 PM
triscuits, spaghetti sauce, and mozzarella. microwave ~45 seconds or until the cheese melts.

I do the same thing, but with the arab round bread discs. I also throw on mushrooms and pepperoni if I've got any.

xPANCAKEx
2011-02-07, 01:44 PM
cinnamon and applesauce is good
apples and peanut butter is also good
so is english muffins with cheese on top

these are hardly new or bold suggestions

HalfTangible
2011-02-07, 01:48 PM
Mix Cheddar with American cheese at Subway and have it toasted. It's like cream...

blackfox
2011-02-07, 01:49 PM
Unintuitive tasty thing: when you are cooking ground turkey for taco meat, put it in a frying pan and season it with salt, chili powder, and cinnamon. Om nom nom.

rayne_dragon
2011-02-07, 03:36 PM
I discovered that red wine vinegar is actually quite good for cooking red meat if you don't mind the smell of boiling vinegar. It's great for keeping mooches out of your kitchen.

Seafood medly can be made into a nice burger toping. It looks like cthulhu made your hamburger, but tastes delicious.

Sometimes I just substitute random ingrediants just to see how things turn out. Or I'll add in random spices to see how they work.

Also, for those who've never tried them:
Kangaroo is delicious.
Aligator tastes like fishy chicken.

Sipex
2011-02-07, 03:38 PM
Nearly everything is better with a bit of cheese on top.

factotum
2011-02-07, 04:26 PM
Not me, but my sister: she found you can make an absolutely gorgeous quiche by cracking eggs into a pastry casing and then covering it all with grated cheese before baking. Much nicer than the usual cheesy egg custard approach!

Pika...
2011-02-07, 04:28 PM
Not me, but my sister: she found you can make an absolutely gorgeous quiche by cracking eggs into a pastry casing and then covering it all with grated cheese before baking. Much nicer than the usual cheesy egg custard approach!

Scrambled or non-scrambled, and what temp/time for baking? I want one now...

Keld Denar
2011-02-07, 04:32 PM
Nearly everything is better with a bit of cheese bacon on top.

FTFY! :smallcool:

Fer serious, bacon is to entree's what ice cream is to desserts. Whatever it touches, instantly becomes better.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-07, 04:41 PM
Peanut butter and banana tastes better when the bread is toasted.
A dollop of salsa does wonders to Kraft Dinner.
When your grilling in a toaster oven a Sunrise Farms Chicken burger, chopping at it and stretching it when you flip it adds to the surface area and increases the proportion of the nice golden crunchy bits.
Adding some Chilli Powder or the component spices to spaghetti sauce is a great way to add a certain richness, even if you don't use meat. Chilli powder and curry powder are a wonderful seasoning for egg salad.
Chopped up Dill Pickles are nice addition to tuna salad, as are shredded carrots and chopped celery.

littlebottom
2011-02-07, 07:25 PM
extremely chilled vodka (1/3rd) exctremely chilled peach archers (1/3rd) chilled lemonade (1/3rd) its called an invisible traffic light, because all the liquids are clear, but no matter what order you pour them into the glass, they sort themselves into vodka on the bottom, peach archers in the middle and lemonade on top. Red...Amber... GREEN! ok so its not food... but oh well

food wise, pancakes with chocolate icecream in the middle and folded over (erm... non american pancakes, you know... proper pancakes) with sugar, lemon juice and brown sauce...... whaaat?:smalleek:

arguskos
2011-02-07, 07:35 PM
Buffalo is both leaner than beef and has a fuller flavor in pretty much every respect, allowing it to stand in for beef in basically anything (I like it in lasagna skillets, which I make pretty frequently). Not a "trick", but good to know if you didn't already.

Only issue is that buffalo can be tough to find. Luckily, my local grocer carries it frequently-ish.

thubby
2011-02-07, 07:49 PM
(erm... non american pancakes, you know... proper pancakes)

there's a difference?

ScottishDragon
2011-02-07, 07:59 PM
Mustard on pizza!! Yeah it sounds disgusting but don't hate it 'till u try it!!

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-07, 08:03 PM
The pizza place near my school has the most wickedest hot sauce for an extra 50c. It is amazing.

Heliomance
2011-02-07, 08:26 PM
there's a difference?

A big one. European pancakes are thin and ideally crispy, and you put your topping on then roll them up into a cylinder.

Keld Denar
2011-02-07, 08:30 PM
Buffalo

Venison is even better, IMO. Plus, its leaner.

OverThoughtName
2011-02-07, 08:37 PM
Black beans, slightly undercooked rice, cold, chopped spinach, balsamic vinegar, and soy sauce. Not only do the flavors mix perfectly into an ambrosial concoction of deliciousness, but the textures match up in such a way as to convince you that this is the best food ever.

Also rice, butter beans, and local BBQ sauce. Strange how many delicious foods can be made by asking yourself, "I wonder what this would taste like?"

Xefas
2011-02-07, 08:46 PM
I've found my new favorite way to make hamburger patties. I mixed beef, pork, and venison with green onions, garlic, fresh rosemary, and capers.

Battered and deep fried that ****.

Topped with monterey jack, bacon, caramelized onions, and a tiny bit of deli mustard. Best burger ever.

I'm thinking of making some hollandaise sauce for it next time.

arguskos
2011-02-07, 09:26 PM
Venison is even better, IMO. Plus, its leaner.
Venison is also gamier, which is a big turn off for some folks. Buffalo is similar enough to beef that it's a safe bet for anyone who likes beef, thus the recommendation.

Venison is good for certain things though, but not as a general meat or beef replacement, IMO.

Lex-Kat
2011-02-07, 11:21 PM
I like to add honey to my scrambled eggs. :smallsmile:

Also, for those who don't like to nuke your hot dogs, I place them on the middle rack in the oven, then turn it up to 400o and set the timer for 15/16 minutes. They come out perfectly cooked. Of course, this depends on if you like hot dogs to begin with.

thubby
2011-02-07, 11:34 PM
A big one. European pancakes are thin and ideally crispy, and you put your topping on then roll them up into a cylinder.

that sounds like crepes :smallconfused:

Anuan
2011-02-07, 11:41 PM
That is crepes. "European pancakes" is a bad term. Holland is in Europe. Their pancakes are called Poffertjes, and they're maybe an inch around, thick and puffy. And also delicious and amazing covered in powdered sugar and a little lemonjuice.

factotum
2011-02-08, 02:36 AM
Scrambled or non-scrambled, and what temp/time for baking? I want one now...

Just raw eggs (hence "cracked in to the pastry casing" :smallwink:). As for time, I don't remember offhand--about an hour at 200C ought to do it, but obviously make sure the eggs are cooked through!

Ragitsu
2011-02-08, 04:48 AM
Chili powder, plus macaroni & cheese, equals amazing.

Funnily enough, I discovered this around the same time I discovered Eberron.

Eldan
2011-02-08, 06:53 AM
People don't believe me, but green (or red, sometimes) curry and cheese makes awesome sandwiches. The stronger the cheese, the better.

Serpentine
2011-02-08, 07:20 AM
Venison is even better, IMO. Plus, its leaner.Kangaroo is almost entirely fat free, packed full of iron, very good for the environment and as a mince is far superior to any other I've had in tacos, spaghetti bolognese, lasagna or any other mince thing :cool:
That is crepes. "European pancakes" is a bad term. Holland is in Europe. Their pancakes are called Poffertjes, and they're maybe an inch around, thick and puffy. And also delicious and amazing covered in powdered sugar and a little lemonjuice.OH MY GOD I LOVE THOSE THINGS
Same with those things that are kinda like straight starish shaped doughnut things that I've only seen at Gold Coast theme parks and a couple of fairs. Soooooo good.
Anyway, I generally refer to the different types of pancakes as flapjacks (thick, McDonalds style pancakes), crepes (very thin, often savoury), pancakes (thicker than crepes, thinner than flapjacks), and pikelets (small sweet pancakes).

Not really a trick - like, at all - but I like my weetbix paired with plenty of milk, microwaved for 1 minute (or 1.5, depending on the microwave), with brown sugar.

Eldan
2011-02-08, 07:26 AM
I must admit I've only had kangaroo twice, and perhaps it was a bad sample, but both times, I found it leathery, tough and not very pleasant in taste.

Edit:
Also, on teh discussion of Pancakes: potato pancakes. Normal pancakes, for me, are flat, so what people here describe as crepe. (Interestingly, you can get both crepes and pancakes here, and they are both only a few millimeters thin, but very distinct in taste). Potato pancakes are about 1.5 cm thick and made by mixing normal pancake dough with mashed potatoes.

Serpentine
2011-02-08, 07:31 AM
Two issues there:
1. I was talking about mince, not steak or fillets.
2. Because it's so low in fat, it needs to be cooked carefully. In the case of steaks and fillets, quite fast and hot - and no more than medium. I'm guessing that yours wasn't cooked appropriately. Of course, it's entirely possible you just don't like kangaroo steak or fillets - my Boy doesn't really, he finds it a bit too tough most of the time (although he recently really enjoyed a cut I cooked), but he was at least as disappointed as me when the supermarket was out of 'roo mince so we had to get the comparitively pale and flabby beef mince.

Eldan
2011-02-08, 07:42 AM
Ah, true. Never seen minced kangaroo, so I can't comment on that.

DeadManSleeping
2011-02-08, 08:48 AM
Same with those things that are kinda like straight starish shaped doughnut things that I've only seen at Gold Coast theme parks and a couple of fairs. Soooooo good.

I believe you are referring to churros.

Anyway, here's a good general tip I've discovered: if it has applesauce, it should have nutmeg. Not much, mind you - perhaps 1/4 tsp per cup of applesauce. It really makes the flavor much more full. A lot of other apple-based recipes would also benefit from nutmeg, but not all of them.

A friend taught me that the proper way to add chocolate to milk (because hot chocolate made with water is the invention of the devil) is to stir it in one spoonful at a time, using a different spoon for scooping and for stirring. You wind up with less globs of solid chocolate at the bottom of your cup, and therefore, more chocolate in your beverage.

As a general tip, no matter what your recipe says to bake something in, you can almost certainly substitute another kind of baking dish with a similar volume. Baking small recipes in a bread pan (rectangular and usually widening out at the top) instead of a square pan (8x8 or 9x9) makes the baking time a bit off, but it's easier to transport when removed from the pan. If you're the type who likes to deliver things to friends, that's a nice trick to have!

Serpentine
2011-02-08, 08:57 AM
A friend taught me that the proper way to add chocolate to milk (because hot chocolate made with water is the invention of the devil) is to stir it in one spoonful at a time, using a different spoon for scooping and for stirring. You wind up with less globs of solid chocolate at the bottom of your cup, and therefore, more chocolate in your beverage.I find it best to mix it into a paste with a little bit of boiling water to get it all wet, and then mix in the milk just a bit at a time.

Kain05
2011-02-08, 09:16 AM
FTFY! :smallcool:

Fer serious, bacon is to entree's what ice cream is to desserts. Whatever it touches, instantly becomes better.

I have to argue a little here, bacon even makes some deserts much better. I bake the best cookies ever, bacon-chocolate chip cookies mmmmmmmmmmm!

Heliomance
2011-02-08, 09:44 AM
That is crepes.
Not in England. They're just pancakes. "Crepe" refers to French pancakes, which are subtly different, though I couldn't tell you exactly how.

A friend taught me that the proper way to add chocolate to milk (because hot chocolate made with water is the invention of the devil) is to stir it in one spoonful at a time, using a different spoon for scooping and for stirring. You wind up with less globs of solid chocolate at the bottom of your cup, and therefore, more chocolate in your beverage.

I generally put the chocolate in first, add the milk a little at a time to make a paste, then gradually thin out the paste into a liquid.

Eldan
2011-02-08, 09:52 AM
Oh, come on. Drinking your chocolate milk, finding the thick, rich, sweet, delightful brown sludge at the bottom, then digging it out with finger or spoon or other implement was always the best part of drinking this delicious beverage.

DeadManSleeping
2011-02-08, 10:53 AM
Not in England. They're just pancakes. "Crepe" refers to French pancakes, which are subtly different, though I couldn't tell you exactly how.

English pancakes are similar to French crêpes, and Italian crespelle, but are not "lacy" in appearance

Also the batter's a bit different, so I imagine the flavor is a bit different.

Oh, come on. Drinking your chocolate milk, finding the thick, rich, sweet, delightful brown sludge at the bottom, then digging it out with finger or spoon or other implement was always the best part of drinking this delicious beverage.

I'd agree, but I always find myself disappointed at how little I can manage to get out.

Lord Loss
2011-02-08, 06:29 PM
My friend claims that Carrot cake with ranch sauce on it is amazing and another friend who was brave enough to test it hardily agrees. One free internet to whoever tests it and reports back to this thread.

IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE

Ragitsu
2011-02-08, 06:34 PM

WHY is it that chocolate powder mix manages to stay dry, even when at the bottom of a tall glass full of milk?

Lex-Kat
2011-02-08, 07:22 PM
My guess: it's from putting the powder mix in first, and not mixing it well enough.

The top portion of the chocolate that didn't get mixed becomes a chocolate mud and creates a layer covering the rest of the unmixed powder, which stays dry within.

Solution: Pour the powder in after the milk.

arguskos
2011-02-08, 07:27 PM
I don't use powder, personally. I use a specific chocolate syrup I found locally that works perfectly.

I do use chocolate powder for a lot of other things (adding to meat dishes, mostly) though, and have some pretty high quality stuff laying about the house atm. Need to make hot cocoa with it, actually (I use it for that too).

Lex-Kat
2011-02-08, 07:56 PM
Thinking of Powder Chocolate Milk/Hot Cocoa Mix....

I like to add it to my ice cream, let it melt for a few minutes, then mix it all up into softer, creamier version. The powdered chocolate adds a wonderful gritty texture I like. :smallsmile:

MoonCat
2011-02-08, 07:58 PM
Salt makes a lemon's sourness less painful to the tongue and taste buds.

Heliomance
2011-02-08, 08:06 PM
Sugar does the same and tastes better.

MoonCat
2011-02-08, 11:22 PM
I don't like it that way, salt tastes excellent, and sugar would need huge amounts of it, which I would prefer not to load into my body for breakfast. Although lemonade is my favorite drink as a treat.

Serpentine
2011-02-08, 11:42 PM
Pf, you're both wusses. Lemons are best as-is :smalltongue:
(or with salt and tequila)

Anuan
2011-02-09, 01:05 AM
OH MY GOD I LOVE THOSE THINGS

Yeah Poffertjes are awesome, and that'd be Churros. They're delicious and amazing and I love them. You have good taste :smallbiggrin:.

Not really a trick - like, at all - but I like my weetbix paired with plenty of milk, microwaved for 1 minute (or 1.5, depending on the microwave), with brown sugar.

I call this Poor Wheat Porridge and it is delicious and I'm going to go have some now.

Serpentine
2011-02-09, 01:25 AM
I call this Poor Wheat Porridge and it is delicious and I'm going to go have some now.Carmen's Original Fruit Muesli makes a pretty good easy porridge, too.
Nice to see someone else has that, by the way :smallsmile:

factotum
2011-02-09, 02:44 AM
Salt makes a lemon's sourness less painful to the tongue and taste buds.

Or you could, you know, not eat lemons...unless you have a severe Vitamin C deficiency in the rest of your diet! :smalltongue:

Anuan
2011-02-09, 03:31 AM
Carmen's Original Fruit Muesli makes a pretty good easy porridge, too.
Nice to see someone else has that, by the way :smallsmile:

Try going half brown sugar and half honey, with a little cinnamon. Omnomnom.

Keld Denar
2011-02-09, 11:57 AM
When i worked in Alaska, my coworkers would tease me for dumping a whole container of yoplay yogurt in my bowl of oatmeal. It's delicious, but most of them said it looked disgusting.

MoonCat
2011-02-09, 02:57 PM
Or you could, you know, not eat lemons...unless you have a severe Vitamin C deficiency in the rest of your diet! :smalltongue:

But I like the flavor of lemons with salt! It's not like I have to eat them, and am making it easier. They taste awsome

Lex-Kat
2011-02-09, 07:50 PM
I'm with Serpentine, I like Lemons without Sugar or Salt. Though I think I'll now try them both ways to see which I like better. :smallsmile:

Kain05
2011-02-10, 09:57 AM
But I like the flavor of lemons with salt! It's not like I have to eat them, and am making it easier. They taste awsome

I agree, lemons with salt is awesome.

Borgh
2011-02-10, 01:57 PM

I generally put the chocolate in first, add the milk a little at a time to make a paste, then gradually thin out the paste into a liquid.

there is a much simpeler way.
Take hot milk.
pour said milk in blender
add cocoa, sugar (and in my case a sniff of cinamon) to taste
Blend!
enjoy your perfectly mixed hot cocoa! It now even has a layer of delicious froth on top.

Also, one of those inventions that are thought up late after coming home from getting quite drunk and without anything in the house: baked onion, cheese and curry powder, enjoyed on bread. Unlike most onther things invented this way, this one actually tastes good sober.

Bhu
2011-02-10, 04:41 PM
hot sauce and ice cream

specifically a fruit based hot sauce such as raspberry and vanilla ice cream

grimbold
2011-02-14, 12:48 PM
hot sauce and ice cream

where does one obtain fruit based hot sauce
i love hot sauce and i have never seen raspberyy hot sauce before

grimbold
2011-02-14, 12:56 PM
hot sauce and ice cream

THAC0
2011-02-14, 01:28 PM
Venison is also gamier, which is a big turn off for some folks. Buffalo is similar enough to beef that it's a safe bet for anyone who likes beef, thus the recommendation.

Venison is good for certain things though, but not as a general meat or beef replacement, IMO.

See, I hear people say this all the time, but none of the moose or 'bou I've had has been the least bit gamey. I wonder if people are either not handling the meat correctly or are getting the animal during the rut.

Keld Denar
2011-02-14, 02:05 PM
My boss makes mango jalapino hot sause. Its delicious! Does that count?

thubby
2011-02-15, 04:47 AM
My boss makes mango jalapino hot sause. Its delicious! Does that count?

speaking of mangos, they're great frozen.

Serpentine
2011-02-15, 05:12 AM
Mangoes are just plain great...
Watermelon juice is the most refreshing thing for a hot day I've ever had.

Necro_EX
2011-02-15, 05:23 AM

I thought that was a crepe.

--

If it's meat or potato based, honey mustard will be good on it.

Mixing kool-aid flavors is almost always better than single-flavor kool-aid, but it definitely depends on the mix.

I'm sure most people know this one, but twizzlers make a great straw, especially with coke.

Make a big pot of instant ramen, throw an egg or two in there. You'll be glad you did.

Speaking of eggs, a little paprika in a large omelet can be incredibly good.

Have some company over? Cut up some potatoes and make your own fries! A couple of small to medium sized potatoes will make enough for a a couple people, no problem. Also, look back up and realize honey mustard goes great with this.

About those fries, you could also make chips this way. Cut them thin and have the heat high for crisp ones or cut 'em a little thicker and have the heat at med-high for something between a chip and a fry, I call it a 'frip.'

Something else to make those awesome. If you have a store that carries it, there's this weird mexican ramen that has flavors like 'spicy beef,' this is amazing to throw on your chips/fries/frips as a flavoring. It'll definitely be something new!

Serpentine
2011-02-15, 05:25 AM
Oh hey, if anyone wants to try a tasty beverage: Green ginger ale. From memory (it's my sister's "recipe"), you basically make green cordial to your own taste, but with ginder ale instead of water.
Surprisingly tasty.

KuReshtin
2011-02-15, 05:46 AM
See, I hear people say this all the time, but none of the moose or 'bou I've had has been the least bit gamey. I wonder if people are either not handling the meat correctly or are getting the animal during the rut.

There's a big difference between different types of venison, depending on what animal it comes from.
Caribou/reindeer) meat and moose meat aren't very gamey, but I find roe deer meat to be very gamey, and I've found I can't eat roe deer meat at all without getting a fuzzy feeling in my mouth, no matter if it's smoked, dried, pan fried or in a stew.
I have no problem at all eating either reindeer/caribou or Moose meat, though.

As regards to the original question in the title, I'm very fond of improvising a lot in the kitchen.
A lot of people have commented that my style of cooking is 'chaos somehow brought together to make for a very nice meal'.
I tend to get quite territorial when I'm cooking as well, and it's very common for me to decline any offer of help, even if there's a lot of stuff that need preparing.
I seldom taste anything while cooking, until the very very end before serving and I trust my own judgment when it comes to spices. So far, I've not had many complaints about it.

Borgh
2011-02-15, 06:39 AM
for those people confusing crepes with european pancaces: crepe is the french translation of pancake. Although there are differences (dutch/german pancaces are often hearthy while southern crepes are usually sweet) the basics are the same: flour, egg and milk stirred to the thickness of cream and baked.

as to more inventions: Ginger goes with everything. This mght be due to a lack of soul or because it is a very neutral flavor (not very sweet, sour or bitter, just slightly spicy)

Serpentine
2011-02-15, 06:42 AM
Fried, actually, not baked :smallwink: At least, usually - I have heard of at least one recipe that involves baking it.

Eldan
2011-02-15, 06:52 AM
On the subject of Ginger:
I have found a new favourite snack. Candied ginger. The local Thai shop sells it, and it's amazing. The only thing I've found that manages to be sweet, spicy and bitter all in the same bite. Plus, you can chew on it forever.

Heliomance
2011-02-15, 07:46 AM
I thought that was a crepe.
Not in England, it's not.

Have some company over? Cut up some potatoes and make your own fries! A couple of small to medium sized potatoes will make enough for a a couple people, no problem. Also, look back up and realize honey mustard goes great with this.

About those fries, you could also make chips this way. Cut them thin and have the heat high for crisp ones or cut 'em a little thicker and have the heat at med-high for something between a chip and a fry, I call it a 'frip.'

Gah, this bit makes my head hurt. You crazy Yanks and your crazy wrong English!

Necro_EX
2011-02-15, 08:04 AM
I like my wrong English well enough.

Interesting to know that's how Europe does pancakes in general. Why does America have to do everything different from the rest of the world? I mean, I like my nice, fluffy, thick pancakes, but seriously what's with the imperial measurement system? I'd like to be able to measure my pancakes in metric. :p

Hmmm...I'm going to have to try some new pancake recipes, it seems.

druid91
2011-02-15, 08:49 AM
Not in England, it's not.

Gah, this bit makes my head hurt. You crazy Yanks and your crazy wrong English!

According to an english camp counseler what we speak over here is american. Its not good enough to be english.

Lioness
2011-02-15, 08:58 AM
I've got a strange feeling that 2-minute chicken noodles would taste amazing with small amounts of vegemite stirred through them, but I'm not brave enough to try it :smallbiggrin:

Syka
2011-02-15, 09:50 AM
Discovered some time in high school with my best friend:

Cheetos and ranch dressing.

It sounds horrible and is pretty horrible for you health wise. So. Delicious. French fries (aka "chips" to you Britlanders) are also very yummy dipped in ranch dressing (discovered whilst at a local wing joint wherein I decided to try my fries in the ranch dressing rather than ketchup).

Quick'n'easy Garlic Bread:
Split a hot dog roll. Mix some garlic powder with some olive oil. Brush concoction on to hot dog roll. Bake at about 400F until browning on the edges.

Delicious.

Traab
2011-02-15, 10:05 AM
I confuse the hell out of various delis by asking for buffalo chicken parmesan on my grinders. Its freaking AWESOME! You get the flavor and heat of buffalo chicken, smoothed out by the flavor of the sauce and cheese.

Lately ive been on a hot food kick, so I add scotch bonnet to EVERYTHING. I use it instead of butter on my sandwiches, I pour it into my ramen soup as it boils. Same for my rice and pasta dishes.

Another favorite of mine is for leftovers. When my step dad makes his 50 gallons of rice, I eat the leftovers by putting franks hot sauce in it, liberally sprinkling it with parmesan cheese, then mix it together and nuke it till its a gooey spicy mess. It tastes GREAT.

Necro_EX
2011-02-15, 01:22 PM
I'm on a permanent hot-food binge. I'm addicted to the stuff, and sadly have built up a pretty damn thick tolerance to it. I say sadly because not only is it harder for me to experience "Oh god, why did I do that it's so hot," but we all know what happens to your insides after consuming too much hot sauce. :/

Speaking of which, I definitely have to agree some hot sauce in chicken ramen can be amazing. It gives it that extra little kick.

--

Make egg in a window.
Okay, now make another.
Fry up some bacon, slap some cheese on those windows.
Put it all together, apply hot sauce liberally.
Enjoy.

Morph Bark
2011-02-15, 02:34 PM
I dunno if it is unusual for any of you, but here are some regulars for me:

Omelette with cheese (even multiple kinds if we have access)
Toasted egg sandwich (put a raw egg between two slices of bread in a toastie maker and get it on)
Sandwich with chocolate paste and peanut butter or caramel paste (we rarely have the last one, but if we have all three, I'll make it a triple-layered sandwich)

Also, fried fruit is AWESOME. Be it apple, banana or kiwi. I've even done it with saké. Yummilicious.

EDIT:

Not when I make them! I had this box for pancakes that supposedly would make 12 pancakes.

I made 6.

I ate them all.

It was just as good as the times I ate 2 pounds of lasagna.

Bhu
2011-02-15, 02:58 PM

various hot sauce websites.

http://www.peppers.com/cube/

http://www.andyshotsauce.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1239&zenid=caqk731j6hv6pmfg2290pbe337

http://www.hotsauce.com/Mo-Hotta-Mo-Betta-Roasted-Raspberry-Chipotle-Sauce-p/3914mh.htm?click=2704

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Pepper-Raspberry-Chipotle-Sauce/dp/B000FDDTXW

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=raspberry+hot+sauce&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=shop:1&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf&fp=13df95bc7e99daac

Bhu
2011-02-15, 02:59 PM
dubba post please delete

druid91
2011-02-15, 03:00 PM
Question has anyone here tried the grapes in the microwave to make plasma thing? I'm scared to try it myself... I heard it can destroy the microwave.

Dvandemon
2011-02-15, 03:00 PM
Hot Sauce goes good on a lot of things, like baked potato if you use seasoning salt

Necro_EX
2011-02-15, 03:14 PM
Question has anyone here tried the grapes in the microwave to make plasma thing? I'm scared to try it myself... I heard it can destroy the microwave.

I do it every time I have grapes, actually.

A few things I've found out about it:

-Globe grapes suck for that experiment, avoid them if at all possible.

-Go for red grapes if you can, they have more sugar which is what you're burning.

-It's completely safe to do it. Assuming you're using an 1100 watt microwave 30 seconds should be an ideal time to produce some plasma and the grape will melt before it can produce anywhere near enough plasma to be really harmful to the machine itself.

-Be careful when removing the plate they've been on. Plasma is frikkin' hot and that plate's gonna be hot as hell when you're done, as is the liquid grape. Give it a few seconds to cool down before sticking your hands in there.

-Got matches? This experiment just got a whole lot more awesome. Stick one in each side of the grape, light 'em, and start up the microwave. It'll be awesome. :D

JediSoth
2011-02-16, 02:43 PM
A dash of cayenne in homemade hot cocoa (whole milk +cocoa powder +sugar w/a little bit of cinnamon and vanilla extract) is awesome.

I also add cinnamon to my Greek yogurt, my oatmeal (I don't use instant) and my pancake/waffle mix.

It's not an unusual trick (not to my thinking), but I like feta or goat cheese in my scrambled eggs with a little hot sauce (Cholula is my brand of choice).

druid91
2011-02-16, 04:02 PM
I do it every time I have grapes, actually.

A few things I've found out about it:

-Globe grapes suck for that experiment, avoid them if at all possible.

-Go for red grapes if you can, they have more sugar which is what you're burning.

-It's completely safe to do it. Assuming you're using an 1100 watt microwave 30 seconds should be an ideal time to produce some plasma and the grape will melt before it can produce anywhere near enough plasma to be really harmful to the machine itself.

-Be careful when removing the plate they've been on. Plasma is frikkin' hot and that plate's gonna be hot as hell when you're done, as is the liquid grape. Give it a few seconds to cool down before sticking your hands in there.

-Got matches? This experiment just got a whole lot more awesome. Stick one in each side of the grape, light 'em, and start up the microwave. It'll be awesome. :D

I tried this, the grape sizzled and moved around the plate on some sort of jet of boiling internal material, But otherwise was fine.

Necro_EX
2011-02-16, 05:11 PM
Did you make sure to dry it off a bit after cutting it down the middle?

Maxios
2011-02-16, 05:13 PM
I discovered that chicken nuggets with sprinkles on them taste great

druid91
2011-02-16, 06:04 PM
Did you make sure to dry it off a bit after cutting it down the middle?

No I did not...:smallredface:

Anuan
2011-02-16, 07:53 PM
Lately ive been on a hot food kick, so I add scotch bonnet to EVERYTHING. I use it instead of butter on my sandwiches, I pour it into my ramen soup as it boils. Same for my rice and pasta dishes.

Is this a hot-sauce brand or something? Cause all I can think of is Scotch Bonnet chillies, which are around (a little higher, I think) Habanero in terms of the scoville rating...And also, y'know, not exactly spreadable or pourable :smallconfused:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-02-16, 08:01 PM
Potato chips (crisps! for you britlanders) and fresh tomato sauce.

Mmmmm, so good. They have to be sour cream and onion flavoured crisps though, because those go best.

Reprimand
2011-02-16, 08:25 PM
When my food is too hot or too spicy, I find myself moving my head side to side and making my food go from one side of my mouth to another. It seems to burn my mouth less that way.

Elentari
2011-02-16, 08:54 PM

IMO, it's the elk that's usually the most gamey (not sure why..think it has something to do with the way the fat tastes). Moose and caribou are usually not that gamey, unless, as you said, they didn't handle it correctly or it was gotten during the peak of the rut. Same goes for venison.

arguskos
2011-02-16, 09:22 PM
IMO, it's the elk that's usually the most gamey (not sure why..think it has something to do with the way the fat tastes). Moose and caribou are usually not that gamey, unless, as you said, they didn't handle it correctly or it was gotten during the peak of the rut. Same goes for venison.
Deer is TERRIBLE about this. Rou and Moose are far better and are quite a bit "meatier". Deer is really gamey though, and I have no idea why. I can't eat it anymore, it just got too difficult to bother with.

Starscream
2011-02-16, 09:58 PM
Here's a weird one, but I swear it works.

I tend to drink a lot of soda, and I absolutely can't stand diet soda. So when I want to lose a couple of pounds, I need a substitute.

So I go to the store and get some skim milk and a couple of boxes of pudding mix (any flavor I feel like). Mix in one box for every half gallon of skim milk (much more milk than you'd use to make actual pudding).

The resulting beverage is tasty, surprisingly filling due to its creaminess, contains only a negligible amount of fat, and has about 25% of the sugar that a can of soda does (varies depending on the type of soda/pudding being compared).

You can use the sugar free type of mix as well, and it will still taste way better than any diet soda on the market. I also like to use this stuff when making smoothies; blend in some healthy veggies and you're set.

Bhu
2011-02-17, 12:13 AM
Is this a hot-sauce brand or something? Cause all I can think of is Scotch Bonnet chillies, which are around (a little higher, I think) Habanero in terms of the scoville rating...And also, y'know, not exactly spreadable or pourable :smallconfused:

There's a couple companies that make hot sauce whose only ingredient is pureed chilis or habanero mash. There's even pepper jelly.

Necro_EX
2011-02-17, 02:24 AM
No I did not...:smallredface:

Alright, well that should help. :D

Also, if it still doesn't work after this don't get discouraged, it takes a couple of times to really get it down, and even then sometimes the grape is just kind of a dud.

Heliomance
2011-02-17, 07:03 AM
What does "gamey" actually mean?

factotum
2011-02-17, 07:34 AM
What does "gamey" actually mean?

Literally it means "tasting strongly", I think--derived from the very strong flavour of game birds.

Eldan
2011-02-17, 10:59 AM
It's just a particular flavour that a lot of wild game has, I think. Red Deer, Roe Deer, even wild boar and chamois, a bit.

Temet Nosce
2011-02-17, 11:39 AM
Very little I do with food is particularly outside the box (I do tend to add bacon and garlic to a lot of things, but I'd qualify that as normal), however here's something I can't eat any longer that does qualify I suppose.

Instead of applying syrup to your waffle or pancake, melt on some butter (just enough to get this next part to stick), crush brown sugar down onto it, then pour whole cream over the entire thing. Yes, this is every bit as delicious and fattening as it sounds.

Some of the more normal things I enjoy include -
Omelettes stuffed with bacon, fried potatoes, and caramelized onions.
Turkey thighs coated with olive oil then rolled in diced garlic and baked.
Steak BBQed so fast it's still cold inside when the outside blackens.
Pork chops in root beer sauce.
Oatmeal with crushed walnuts, raisins, and raw honey.
Using coconut milk to make smoothies.

As far as venison - I have to admit, despite enjoying hunting I dislike the stuff. I tend to wind up giving most of the meat to friends. It's not as bad as duck (I will not under any circumstances eat duck), but I still don't enjoy the flavor. One thing I do love to eat that I can hunt is Quail... so, very, delicious. For those who haven't had it, quail is like if a chicken had a super power that made it taste irresistibly good.

AtomicKitKat
2011-02-17, 11:51 AM
Brocolli+mashed potato gravy+rice=Look kids! Tiny trees for you to chomp on like a big bad dinosaur! With yummy little dino-steaks(chunks of meat shaped into dinosaurs)! Worked on my brother and myself at least.:smallwink:

Dr.Epic
2011-02-17, 12:44 PM
Ketchup goes good with anything (except cake).

HalfTangible
2011-02-17, 12:51 PM
Apples are the perfect biological thrown weapon.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-17, 12:53 PM
Apples are the perfect biological thrown weapon.

You forgot to add Pine in front of that. What fruit is better from throwing that a football sized one with spikes all over it.

Eldan
2011-02-17, 02:12 PM
Those with real spikes. Durian, maybe. Or the Widowmaker fruit. I'd think Coconuts would also work well, despite not having spikes.

KuReshtin
2011-02-17, 05:52 PM
On the subject of pancakes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y463g76MFRw).

DeadManSleeping
2011-02-17, 09:05 PM
Ketchup goes good with anything (except cake).

Sam&Max reference?

On the subject of pancakes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y463g76MFRw).

Best video series ever.

Serpentine
2011-02-19, 11:11 PM
I just remembered something I do: nearly any time I have tomato soup (especially the super-smooth consensed variety), I add cheese to it. Tomato soup with dollops of melted cheese is nummy P:

THAC0
2011-02-19, 11:24 PM
Alcohol makes everything better. That's my trick.

Cheese wrapped in bourbon-soaked leaves? Win.
Booze in risotto? Win.
Tiramisu? Boozed up. Win!
Wine in gravy? Win!

darbythegambler
2011-02-19, 11:24 PM
not necessarily food, but generally I like mixing drinks to make weird concoctions. A good amount of the time, it's just adding cola to juice. I like it, but it gets too sweet for anyone else.

Bhu
2011-02-20, 02:56 AM
Frying pork chops in orange juice. Get a pulp free juice, keep the heat on medium, make sure you have enough juice to cover the chops. You know they're done when a fork slides out of them easily because they wont brown and they turn white almost immediately. CHecking internal temp would be good too.

Serpentine
2011-02-20, 03:17 AM
I think I've seen something like that before. Also, I'm told cakes are good with mashed zucchini in it, but I've never tried it.