PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Pyromancer Powers (PEACH)

Surrealistik
2011-02-07, 12:57 PM
At-Will Wizard 1:
Blastwave - Wizard Attack 1
With a quick thrust of your palm, you discharge an explosive wave of scorching heat and rushing air that sears your opponents and sends them flying.
At-Will - Arcane, Evocation, Fire, Implement
Standard Action Close blast 3
Target: Each creature in the blast
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d4 + Intelligence modifier fire damage, and you push the target up to 3 squares.
Special: You can reduce the size of the blast to a minimum of blast 1. For each time you reduce the blast size by 1, this power deals 2 extra damage and pushes the target 1 extra square.
Level 21: 2d4 + Intelligence modifier fire damage.

Sudden Ignition - Wizard Attack 1
Making a casual wave of your hand, the vicinity of your enemies rapidly heats and swelters as they burst into flame.
Standard Action Area burst 1 within 10 squares
Target: Each creature in the burst
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Hit: Ongoing Intelligence modifier fire damage (save ends). If the target already has ongoing fire damage, increase that ongoing damage by your Intelligence modifier instead, and it takes a -2 penalty to saving throws against ongoing fire damage until the end of your next turn.
Level 21: Ongoing 3 + Intelligence modifier fire damage (save ends). If the target already has ongoing fire damage, increase that ongoing damage by your Intelligence modifier + 3.
Special: If the implement used with this power has a damage bonus, add that bonus to the ongoing damage.
If you have feats and active effects that would normally grant a bonus to this spell's damage rolls, add their bonuses to the ongoing damage.

Blazing Salvo - Wizard Attack 1
You unleash a salvo of fiery darts from your spread fingertips that scorch multiple foes, or reduce a single target to cinders.
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One, two, or three creatures
Hit: 1d4 + Intelligence modifier fire damage. If this power has less than two targets, deal 3 extra damage to the target. If this power has more than two targets, apply a -3 penalty to this power's damage rolls.
Level 21: 2d4 + Intelligence modifier fire damage. If this power has less than two targets, deal 6 extra damage to the target.

Fiery Eruption - Wizard Attack 1
Raising your arms, the ground beneath your enemies suddenly explodes in a fiery conflagration.
Hit: 1d8 fire damage.
Level 21: 2d8 fire damage.
Effect: The burst creates an area of fire that lasts until the end of your next turn. Each creature that enters the area or starts its turn there takes Constitution modifier fire damage (minimum 1). Each creature that ends its turn in the area takes ongoing Constitution modifier fire damage (minimum 1, save ends).

Fanning Flames - Wizard Attack 1
Sweeping your hand, you conjure into being a blazing pyre that spreads across the battlefield.
At-Will - Arcane, Conjuration, Fire, Implement
Effect: You conjure a roaring flame in a square within range until the end of your next turn. The flame sheds bright light out to a radius of 5 squares, and its space counts as difficult terrain. Creatures that willingly enter the flame's space or start their turns there take 1d4 + Intelligence modifier fire damage. You can dismiss any number of flames as a minor action.
Sustain Minor: All flames created with this power persist, and for each flame in play, you can conjure another flame in a space adjacent to an existing flame. You cannot have more flames in play than your Constitution modifier + 3 at one time.

Gathering Pyre - Wizard Attack 1
A roaring orb of fire coalesces between your palms, rapidly growing in power and size. With a deft command, you send the engorged flame to explode amongst your foes.
Target: One creature
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage, and you push the target 1 square. For each minor action spent, this power deals +2 extra damage and pushes the target 1 extra square.
Level 21: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage, and you push the target 1 square.
Special: Before using this power, you may spend any number of minor actions. If you do, this power gains +5 range for each minor action spent in this way. If you spend at least two minor actions, you knock the target prone if you hit, or this power becomes an area burst 1, targeting each creature in the burst, pushing the target away from the burst's origin square.

Wizard Encounter 1:
Monolith of Flame - Wizard Attack 1
Glowing cracks form along the ground beneath your foes before it suddenly shatters and erupts, spewing forth a tower of flame.
At-Will - Arcane, Conjuration, Evocation, Fire, Implement
Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage. Targets in the origin square are knocked prone.
Effect: You conjure a roaring pillar of fire in the origin square that lasts until the end of your next turn. Creatures in the origin square are pushed into a square adjacent to the pillar. The pillar is 3 squares high, counts as difficult terrain, emits bright light out to a radius of 20 squares, and has an aura 1. Any creature that moves into or begins its turn within the pillar's aura takes Intelligence modifier fire damage. You can dismiss the pillar as a minor action.

Wizard Daily 1:
Flashfire - Wizard Attack 1
At your command, scalding fires spontaneously erupt into being, expanding and contracting at your whim, utterly under your command.
Daily - Arcane, Evocation, Fire, Implement, Zone
Hit: 1d4 + Intelligence modifier fire damage, and the target takes ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and no ongoing fire damage.
Effect: The burst creates a zone of raging fire. Enemies that enter the zone or start their turns there take 1d4 + Intelligence modifier fire damage. Each enemy that ends its turn in the zone takes ongoing Intelligence modifier fire damage (save ends).
Sustain Minor: You can decrease or increase the size of the zone by 1 to a maximum of burst 5.
Special:If you do not sustain the zone, its size is reduced by 1 instead of ending, and it affects all creatures until you sustain it. If the size of the zone becomes 0, the zone ends.

Sear to Cinders - Wizard Attack 1
Your target spontaneously bursts into a tenacious pyroclasm that quickly reduces him to smouldering ash.
Daily - Arcane, Evocation, Fire, Implement
Standard Action - Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Hit: The target is affected by your incineration (save ends). While the target is affected by your incineration, it takes ongoing 10 fire damage, sheds bright light out to 10 squares, and grants combat advantage.
Aftereffect: The target is affected by your incineration (save ends), but only takes ongoing 5 fire damage.
Miss: The target is affected by your incineration (save ends), but only takes ongoing 5 fire damage.
Effect: Whenever the target fails a saving throw against your incineration effect, that effect's ongoing damage increases by 5, and the target takes a cumulative -2 penalty to saving throws against it (maximum -10). This penalty lasts until the incineration ends. While the target is affected by your incineration, you can use the Sear to Cinders Attack power once per round.

Sear to Cinders Attack - Wizard Attack 1
Standard Action - Ranged 10
Target: One creature affected by your incineration
Hit: Increase your incineration's ongoing fire damage by 10, and the target takes a -5 penalty to its next saving throw against it.
Miss: Increase your incineration's ongoing fire damage by 5, and the target takes a -2 penalty to its next saving throw against it.

Charged Fireblast - Wizard Attack 1
Flames gather and coalesce about your hands, a mantle of burgeoning fire outlining your form as you channel your power into a devastating pyroclasm.
Standard Action - Personal
Effect: You shed bright light out to a radius equal to 1 + your number of charge counters. You can expend all of your charge counters and end this effect in order to use the Charged Fireblast Secondary Power. This effect lasts until the end of your next turn.
Sustain Minor: The effect persists and you gain a charge counter (maximum 4).
Special: When you use or sustain this power, you can spend any number of extra minor actions to gain an equal number of charge counters. You cannot have more than 4 charge counters at one time.

Charged Fireblast Secondary Power - Wizard Attack 1
Standard Action - Area burst 1 within 10 squares
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier fire damage. The target takes ongoing 2 fire damage (save ends) and is pushed 1 square away from the origin square. For each charge counter expended, this power deals 1d8 extra damage, 2 extra ongoing damage, and the target is pushed 1 extra square. If you expended 3 or more charge counters, the target is knocked prone.
Miss: Half damage.
Special: For each charge counter expended, increase this power's range by 5. For every 2 charge counters expended, increase the size of the burst by 1.

Wizard Utility 2:
Focus Fire - Wizard Utility 2
Fire gathers on your palms, radiating light and heat as you focus your power, channeling it into a devastating blaze.
Encounter - Arcane, Fire
Minor Action - Personal
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, you gain a +2 power bonus to the next attack and damage roll you make with an arcane fire attack, and shed bright light in a radius of 2 squares. This light source ends immediately when you apply this bonus.

Wizard Encounter 3:
Infernal Vortex - Wizard Attack 3
From the depths of the Nine Hells you summon forth a minor vortex of hellfire that buffets and checks your foes.
At-Will - Arcane, Evocation, Fire, Necrotic, Implement
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier fire and necrotic damage. The target is knocked prone and immobilized until the end of your next turn.
Effect: The burst creates a zone of swirling hellfire that lasts until the end of your next turn. The zone sheds bright light out to 20 squares and counts as difficult terrain. Creatures that enter or begin their turns in the zone take Intelligence modifier fire and necrotic damage.
Special: You can take 5 fire and necrotic damage in order to exclude an ally from the attack and effect as a free action. You cannot reduce this damage in any way.

Wizard Utility 6:
Bursting Flame - Wizard Utility 6
You wreath yourself in barely controlled flames, that scorch and scathe any foolish enough to approach. At your command, the fire bursts forth, blasting your foes.
Minor Action - Personal
Effect: You activate an aura 1 that lasts until the end of the encounter. Enemies that enter or begin their turns in the aura take Intelligence modifier + Constitution modifier fire damage. No enemy can take this damage more than once per turn. When an enemy makes a melee attack against you, you can end this effect to perform the Bursting Fire Attack.

Bursting Fire Attack - Wizard Attack 2
Immediate Interrupt - Close burst 2
Trigger: An enemy makes a melee attack against you.
Requirement: You must have ended your Bursting Fire aura.
Target: Each enemy in the burst
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage. You push the target 3 squares and knock it prone.

Jet Rush - Wizard Utility 6
Your feet and hands blaze with jets of fire, rocketing you through the air.
Encounter - Arcane, Fire
Move Action - Personal
Effect: You fly a number of squares equal to your speed + your Intelligence modifier and Constitution modifier. During this movement you can use a power at its normal action cost, shed bright light in a radius of 10 squares, and gain a +5 power bonus to your AC and Reflex defenses against opportunity attacks. If you do not land at the end of this movement, you fall.

Re'ozul
2011-02-07, 01:37 PM
Blastwave: I'd say reduce it close blast 3 (so it doesn't overshadow the sorcerers burning spray)

Sudden Ignition: Interesting. On average you get 2 rounds so the damage isn't that bad. The stacking is fine too. I'd actually make it a bit stronger in 20+. twice Intmod would be about 14-16 so about 30 on average which at that point isn't unusual. Since its fire and vs fort it shouldn't be that much of a problem however.

Blazing Salvo: A three target at-will is a bit much in my opinion. Two targets would be fine.

Fiery eruption: Eliminate the minimum 1 thing at the very least since its otherwise an absolute minion clearer. Or take a cue from blazing starfall and make it all creatures that leave the zone.

Surrealistik
2011-02-07, 01:41 PM
Blastwave: I'd say reduce it close blast 3 (so it doesn't overshadow the sorcerers burning spray)

Burning Spray does more damage and has a great Dragon Magic kicker that this lacks. Note that this was based off of the existing spell Beguiling Strands, exchanging its party friendliness (quite a loss) for more damage.

Sudden Ignition: Interesting. On average you get 2 rounds so the damage isn't that bad. The stacking is fine too. I'd actually make it a bit stronger in 20+. twice Intmod would be about 14-16 so about 30 on average which at that point isn't unusual. Since its fire and vs fort it shouldn't be that much of a problem however.

Yeah, I'm going to add a special clause so that implement and feat bonuses apply to the ongoing fire damage ala Magic Missile.

Blazing Salvo: A three target at-will is a bit much in my opinion. Two targets would be fine.

I've got an idea: for every target above 2, it takes a -3 penalty to its damage roll, and for every target below 2, it gets +3 extra damage.

Fiery eruption: Eliminate the minimum 1 thing at the very least since its otherwise an absolute minion clearer. Or take a cue from blazing starfall and make it all creatures that leave the zone.

Again, this is essentially a fire based version of another already existing spell: Cloud of Daggers. It trades Cloud's superior upfront damage for ongoing damage versus those who remain in the area.

tcrudisi
2011-02-07, 02:01 PM
Burning Spray does more damage and has a great Dragon Magic kicker that this lacks. Note that this was based off of the existing spell Beguiling Strands, exchanging its party friendliness (quite a loss) for more damage.

I disagree. An average of 2 points of damage is nothing, really. A Sorc would kill to have this power. By increasing the size of the burst/blast, you are able to squeeze in a lot more targets. Look at how much damage a Sorc could do with this and I guarantee you that even Dragon Sorcs would choose Blastwave over Burning Spray.

Push 3 is more useful than "when I get hit, deal that enemy Str mod more damage." Most Sorcs will have ways of escaping the attack or have a defender to just take the attack. Push 3? That's useful most of the time, though.

Increased blast? That's far more useful.

-2 damage? When the difference, even at level 1, is 10 vs. 8, that's not a huge difference, especially when it becomes 4 targets instead of 2 (for example). The difference only grows as you get higher levels. 35 damage vs. 33 but able to target 4 creatures instead of 2.

Yeah, I'm going to add a special clause so that implement bonuses apply to the ongoing fire damage ala Magic Missile.

Ya know, I kinda like this power. It's powerful (due to feat support), but ... interesting.

Blazing Salvo - Wizard Attack 1

Wow. Okay, now this is broken, broken, broken. Able to target 3 creatures with an at-will? That's... it's crazy-good. Invokers get that power but they have a lot less potential for abuse -- and it's considered a top-flight at-will for them. Even the -2 damage per target is nothing. Once again, I'll use my Sorc example above. This makes Arc Lightning look like chump change, and it's considered a "good" power by optimizers.

Again, this is essentially a fire based version of another already existing spell: Cloud of Daggers. It trades Cloud's superior upfront damage for ongoing damage versus those who remain in the area.

This is infinitely superior to Cloud of Daggers. Here's the comparison:

Fiery Eruption (FE): Area burst 1 (9 squares, 27 if you think in 3-d)
Cloud of Daggers (CoD): 1 square

FE: targets Fort
CoD: targets Ref

FE: Average 2.5 + modifiers damage, targets up to 27 creatures
CoD: Average 3.5 + modifiers damage, targets 1 creature

FE: take 1+Con mod for starting turn or entering any of the 27 squares
CoD: take Wis mod for starting turn or entering that 1 square

FE: take ongoing damage if you end your turn in any of the 27 squares.
CoD: ...

So, in summation: FE attacks far more squares (and creatures), does 1 point less damage ... but makes up for it by doing 1 more point damage when the monster starts its turn, and deals ongoing damage to any creature that ends its turn in one of the 27 squares. Also, it works far more effectively as a minion sweeper since a Wizard needs less attribute points invested to kill minions (Con 10 required to Wis 12 for CoD) and it covers far more area. It's easy to avoid one square. It's harder to avoid 9 (or 27).

CoD targets Ref, an advantage in favor of it (usually).

/edit - I'm an optimizer by nature so I am looking at these powers with the potential to break them (so I try to keep balance in mind first and foremost). The only one of those powers I would not take with a Tiefling or Genasi Wizard is the ongoing damage one. Heck, I might take it with a Tiefling ... I certainly like the power, but that's because I think it's pretty darn cool. As a rule, multi-targeting wins. Period. Three automatic targets? That's amazing. Blast 5 versus Blast 3? Heck yeah. Every wizard takes a feat (Enlarge Spell) to increase the size of their bursts and blasts by 1 for a piddly -2 damage that we happily don't care about: because targeting more monsters is key.

Surrealistik
2011-02-07, 02:14 PM
I disagree. An average of 2 points of damage is nothing, really. A Sorc would kill to have this power. By increasing the size of the burst/blast, you are able to squeeze in a lot more targets. Look at how much damage a Sorc could do with this and I guarantee you that even Dragon Sorcs would choose Blastwave over Burning Spray.

Push 3 is more useful than "when I get hit, deal that enemy Str mod more damage." Most Sorcs will have ways of escaping the attack or have a defender to just take the attack. Push 3? That's useful most of the time, though.

Increased blast? That's far more useful.

-2 damage? When the difference, even at level 1, is 10 vs. 8, that's not a huge difference, especially when it becomes 4 targets instead of 2 (for example). The difference only grows as you get higher levels. 35 damage vs. 33 but able to target 4 creatures instead of 2.

Okay, but compare it vis a vis the Wizard's alternate option, Beguiling Strands. Party friendliness is huge, which is what this lacks in exchange for a damage boost (which can be doubly bad since it now targets party members).

Granted, unlike Beguiling Strands, this can be Enlarged, but that requires a feat investment. I'd consider knocking down the Burst to 4 from 5.

Wow. Okay, now this is broken, broken, broken. Able to target 3 creatures with an at-will? That's... it's crazy-good. Invokers get that power but they have a lot less potential for abuse -- and it's considered a top-flight at-will for them. Even the -2 damage per target is nothing. Once again, I'll use my Sorc example above. This makes Arc Lightning look like chump change, and it's considered a "good" power by optimizers.

Arc Lightning has 20 range, and superior base damage, which is multiplicative across multiple targets. It does (all other things being equal) 7 damage total vs 2 targets, 3.5 vs 1 as opposed to

5.5 damage vs 1 target, 5 damage total vs 2 targets, 1.5 damage total vs 3 targets.

The net advantage is 1.5 damage, but Arc Lightning gets double the range. That seems like a fair trade.

This is infinitely superior to Cloud of Daggers. Here's the comparison:

Fiery Eruption (FE): Area burst 1 (9 squares, 27 if you think in 3-d)
Cloud of Daggers (CoD): 1 square

FE: targets Fort
CoD: targets Ref

FE: Average 2.5 + modifiers damage, targets up to 27 creatures
CoD: Average 3.5 + modifiers damage, targets 1 creature

FE: take 1+Con mod for starting turn or entering any of the 27 squares
CoD: take Wis mod for starting turn or entering that 1 square

FE: take ongoing damage if you end your turn in any of the 27 squares.
CoD: ...

So, in summation: FE attacks far more squares (and creatures), does 1 point less damage ... but makes up for it by doing 1 more point damage when the monster starts its turn, and deals ongoing damage to any creature that ends its turn in one of the 27 squares. Also, it works far more effectively as a minion sweeper since a Wizard needs less attribute points invested to kill minions (Con 10 required to Wis 12 for CoD) and it covers far more area. It's easy to avoid one square. It's harder to avoid 9 (or 27).

CoD targets Ref, an advantage in favor of it (usually).

Oh damn, I misread Cloud of Daggers (thought it was an Area Burst 1). Fixing.

tcrudisi
2011-02-07, 02:15 PM
I'm going to go a bit more in-depth with Blast Wave. Let's do a direct comparison between Genasi Blaster Wizard and Dragonborn Dragon Sorc.

Genasi Blaster Wizard: attacks close burst 5 for 1d4+int+str damage and push 3 (or 4 if Orb Expertise) squares.
Dragonborn Dragon Sorc: attacks close burst 3 for 1d8+cha+str damage and str mod damage against the next enemy who hits you with a melee attack (so can only be triggered once).

How often is the Burning Spray auto-str damage triggered? Very rarely.
How often is Push 3 (or 4) used? All the time. It allows you to re-arrange the battlefield, clump the bad guys up for other blasters, or push them into and out of and into zones. Got a Stinking Cloud out? Push him in and out twice for 2d10+int+int+str+str damage!

And, as I said before, that average of 2 damage doesn't mean much when you now have a blast 5 to target more enemies with.

Surrealistik
2011-02-07, 02:17 PM
I'm going to go a bit more in-depth with Blast Wave. Let's do a direct comparison between Genasi Blaster Wizard and Dragonborn Dragon Sorc.

Genasi Blaster Wizard: attacks close burst 5 for 1d4+int+str damage and push 3 (or 4 if Orb Expertise) squares.
Dragonborn Dragon Sorc: attacks close burst 3 for 1d8+cha+str damage and str mod damage against the next enemy who hits you with a melee attack (so can only be triggered once).

How often is the Burning Spray auto-str damage triggered? Very rarely.
How often is Push 3 (or 4) used? All the time. It allows you to re-arrange the battlefield, clump the bad guys up for other blasters, or push them into and out of and into zones. Got a Stinking Cloud out? Push him in and out twice for 2d10+int+int+str+str damage!

And, as I said before, that average of 2 damage doesn't mean much when you now have a blast 5 to target more enemies with.

Sure, but I think a better basis of comparison is to pit it against the power it's based off of: Beguiling Strands.

Changed Fiery Eruption to deal 1d8 fire damage; I think this puts it roughly on par with Winged Horde which is party friendly and has a powerful secondary effect.

Re'ozul
2011-02-07, 02:21 PM
Fiery eruption is the non-fire-resistant minion killer due to the following burst abuse:

Burst 1
Enlarge spell
Burst2
arcane admixture thunder + resounding thunder
Burst 3
Rustbark (reagent 350gp)
Burst 4

killing all minions in a 9x9 area priceless.

Surrealistik
2011-02-07, 02:22 PM
Fiery eruption is the non-fire-resistant minion killer due to the following burst abuse:

Burst 1
Enlarge spell
Burst2
arcane admixture thunder + resounding thunder
Burst 3
Rustbark (reagent 350gp)
Burst 4

killing all minions in a 9x9 area priceless.

Huge feat investment though; Enlarge Spell is a given, Admixture + Resounding Thunder and a Rustbark not so much. Friendly fire is also a definite concern, as that huge area is _not_ party friendly.

tcrudisi
2011-02-07, 02:23 PM
Okay, but compare it vis a vis the Wizard's alternate option, Beguiling Strands. Party friendliness is huge, which is what this lacks in exchange for a damage boost (which can be doubly bad since it now targets party members).

Granted, unlike Beguiling Strands, this can be Enlarged, but that requires a feat investment. I'd consider knocking down the Burst to 4 from 5.

Enlarge Spell is a feat that all wizards end up taking (except illusionists) and usually at level 1.

However -- there is a huge difference between Beguiling Strands and Blastwave in that one does automatic damage and the other grants a damage roll.

The difference? A ton of items, feats, and powers that say, "Add (amount) when you make a damage roll." ... That's where the real power lies.

Consider:
Implement Focus (+1/+2/+3), Superior Implement Training (+2/+3/+4), Stoking the Fire (+2 bonus on damage rolls), Staff of Ruin (+1 to +6 item bonus to damage rolls), Siberys Shard of the Mage (+1/+3/+5) ...

and that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. Those only apply to damage rolls (and I put what they add per tier). So, assuming you had all that at level 5, you'd get +8 damage. At level 25? That's +20. And ... it's not nearly everything.

/edit - Ahhh, I see how you are thinking. Okay, what you need to understand is the potential of abuse coming from being able to target multiple creatures. Tomorrow night I'll make a couple of quick characters to show you the difference. I have some papers I need to read for class later and an exam to take tomorrow, so I'll have more time tomorrow night.

Surrealistik
2011-02-07, 02:25 PM
Enlarge Spell is a feat that all wizards end up taking (except illusionists) and usually at level 1.

However -- there is a huge difference between Beguiling Strands and Blastwave in that one does automatic damage and the other grants a damage roll.

The difference? A ton of items, feats, and powers that say, "Add (amount) when you make a damage roll." ... That's where the real power lies.

Consider:
Implement Focus (+1/+2/+3), Superior Implement Training (+2/+3/+4), Stoking the Fire (+2 bonus on damage rolls), Staff of Ruin (+1 to +6 item bonus to damage rolls), Siberys Shard of the Mage (+1/+3/+5) ...

and that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. Those only apply to damage rolls (and I put what they add per tier). So, assuming you had all that at level 5, you'd get +8 damage. At level 25? That's +20. And ... it's not nearly everything.

Sure, I realize this, but not being party friendly is a significant con, and it gets worse as the size of the burst (and damage!) increases. Also, did you mean Enchanters? ;p

Re'ozul
2011-02-07, 02:29 PM
Usually, war wizardry is a given for blasters once you hit paragon. That diminishes the unfriendlyness somewhat.

And feats aren't that rare in 4th ed a burst increasing investment isn't something for only that power. The only thing only going for one power in that chain is arcane admixture and its usually worth it, even if only to make resistance harder.

And the rustbarks become increadibly cheap beyond lvl 15, plus you only need a few with you for those hefty times. (They are also the reason why my own dragonsorc hasn't exchanged thunder leap yet)

tcrudisi
2011-02-07, 02:29 PM
Sure, I realize this, but not being party friendly is a significant con, and it gets worse as the size of the burst (and damage!) increases. Also, did you mean Enchanters? ;p

Yes, I meant enchanters. Thanks. :)

It's only a minor con. If your allies are so spread out amongst the targets that you can't do a blast or burst, then you fall back on multi-target (or single-target if it's all you have) powers. Otherwise, it's usually trivially easy to target all bad guys by placing your power in the right spot. Sometimes your tank gets all up in your business, but that's why you encourage them to get some fire resistance and accept your apologies. I can hit 3 bad guys OR I can hit 7 bad guys and my defender. Usually the defender encourages you to blast away, anyway, in that situation.

Surrealistik
2011-02-07, 02:33 PM
Yes, I meant enchanters. Thanks. :)

It's only a minor con. If your allies are so spread out amongst the targets that you can't do a blast or burst, then you fall back on multi-target (or single-target if it's all you have) powers. Otherwise, it's usually trivially easy to target all bad guys by placing your power in the right spot. Sometimes your tank gets all up in your business, but that's why you encourage them to get some fire resistance and accept your apologies. I can hit 3 bad guys OR I can hit 7 bad guys and my defender. Usually the defender encourages you to blast away, anyway, in that situation.

I wouldn't call having your options limited by unfriendly areas necessarily a minor con. Further, it's not a simple matter to tank a properly built fire blaster's damage since he usually takes Burn Everything and/or is a Pyromancer which outright ignores resistance. Granted, that may not be enough. How about reducing the area to Blast 4?

Usually, war wizardry is a given for blasters once you hit paragon. That diminishes the unfriendlyness somewhat.

And feats aren't that rare in 4th ed a burst increasing investment isn't something for only that power. The only thing only going for one power in that chain is arcane admixture and its usually worth it, even if only to make resistance harder.

Admixture can be worth it yes, but there already is a strong competiting option I'd personally rather go with: Freezing Burst. Opens up at-will Frost Cheese, Arcane Fire abuse, and provides a huge AoE with forced movement.

tcrudisi
2011-02-07, 02:44 PM
Have you ever checked out the 4e character optimization forums? The Wizard handbook editor is a lady who does her research, does the math, and listens to input from optimizers. She's very good at what she does. If you have any questions, she's a good resource to ask.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25095865/The_Power_of_Knowledge_-_The_Wizards_Handbook?pg=1

I wouldn't call having your options limited by unfriendly areas necessarily a minor con. Further, it's not a simple matter to tank a properly built fire blaster's damage since he usually takes Burn Everything and/or is a Pyromancer which outright ignores resistance. Granted, that may not be enough. How about reducing the area to Blast 4?

The reason I bring that handbook up is because she's ranked all the wizard powers from "omg bad" to "wowsa, omg, take this". Basically, a ranking from 1-5 (with 5 being best) and an occasional gold thrown in. Gold being "Take this or every wizard everywhere will laugh at you." There are no gold powers, but Wizards are fortunate to have a lot of 5's.

Thunderwave is a rank 5. It does 1d6+Int and pushes Wis mod squares (usually 3 at level 1 and steadily increases). It's also a blast 3.

To me, the power is balanced with Thunderwave (a very powerful at-will, mind) if it's blast 3. Yes, it does 1 less damage on average, BUT it automatically pushes 3 squares. For a Wizard with no Wis score, that's incredibly good. Many wizards would use Blastwave with those adjustments. Automatic push 3 for 1 less damage for Wizards without Wisdom? Seems fair.

Admixture can be worth it yes, but there already is a strong competiting option I'd personally rather go with: Freezing Burst. Opens up at-will Frost Cheese, Arcane Fire abuse, and provides a huge AoE with forced movement.

Freezing Burst is a good power, certainly. Frost cheese isn't nearly as good as it used to be since it was nerfed, but it's still strong. But really, since you can't get Frost Cheese until level 11, you will already have 3 encounter powers and 3 dailies by that time, making your at-wills far less important than in heroic when you are running with 1 or 2 encounter attack powers most of the time.

Surrealistik
2011-02-07, 02:53 PM
Have you ever checked out the 4e character optimization forums? The Wizard handbook editor is a lady who does her research, does the math, and listens to input from optimizers. She's very good at what she does. If you have any questions, she's a good resource to ask.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25095865/The_Power_of_Knowledge_-_The_Wizards_Handbook?pg=1

Yep, I'm Surrealistik on those forums. I've clashed with her over a couple of ratings, most recently the MD+TA synergy (which I've backed with math). She also doesn't seem to listen so much as consider her anecdotal experiences to be the biblical truth.

The reason I bring that handbook up is because she's ranked all the wizard powers from "omg bad" to "wowsa, omg, take this". Basically, a ranking from 1-5 (with 5 being best) and an occasional gold thrown in. Gold being "Take this or every wizard everywhere will laugh at you." There are no gold powers, but Wizards are fortunate to have a lot of 5's.

Thunderwave is a rank 5. It does 1d6+Int and pushes Wis mod squares (usually 3 at level 1 and steadily increases). It's also a blast 3.

To me, the power is balanced with Thunderwave (a very powerful at-will, mind) if it's blast 3. Yes, it does 1 less damage on average, BUT it automatically pushes 3 squares. For a Wizard with no Wis score, that's incredibly good. Many wizards would use Blastwave with those adjustments. Automatic push 3 for 1 less damage for Wizards without Wisdom? Seems fair.

Three (EDIT: four) things in my mind justify giving Blastwave Blast 4 in contrast to Thunderwave's 3:

1 less average damage.
The hard cap on Blastwave's push. Thunderwave can have an outright obscene push, anywhere from 6 to 10 squares by the end of a mage's career depending on Wis investment (the most common secondary stat) and feats! This is a significant downside, and I would not consider Blastwave's starting and static 3 squares a completely fair 'trade/saw off'.
Thunderwave is eligible for Resounding Thunder, whereas Blastwave is not (barring additional feat investment).
Thunderwave is eligible for the Mark of Storms.

Freezing Burst is a good power, certainly. Frost cheese isn't nearly as good as it used to be since it was nerfed, but it's still strong. But really, since you can't get Frost Cheese until level 11, you will already have 3 encounter powers and 3 dailies by that time, making your at-wills far less important than in heroic when you are running with 1 or 2 encounter attack powers most of the time.

Frost Cheese with Admixtured Freezing burst is generally more powerful than regular FC because _all_ enemies in the area are afflicted with Cold vulnerability via Arcane Fire.

Further, the point of bringing up this combination to demonstrate that Re'ozul's combo featuring Fiery Eruption is not particularly strong in contrast.

tcrudisi
2011-02-07, 03:07 PM
Yep, I'm Surrealistik on those forums. I've clashed with her over a couple of ratings, most recently the MD+TA synergy (which I've backed with math). She also doesn't seem to listen so much as consider her anecdotal experiences to be the biblical truth.

Doh - I remember that now. I only really skimmed parts of the MD argument and briefly included my own (bogakbridgetaker on the forums).

Three things in my mind justify giving Blastwave Blast 4 in contrast to Thunderwave's 3:

1 less average damage.
The hard cap on Blastwave's push. Thunderwave can have an outright obscene push, anywhere from 6 to 10 squares by the end of a mage's career! This is a significant downside, and I would not consider Blastwave's starting and static 3 squares a completely fair 'trade/saw off'.
Thunderwave is eligible for Resounding Thunder, whereas Blastwave is not (barring additional feat investment).
Thunderwave is eligible for the Mark of Storms.

1 less average damage is nothing. When you look at Enlarge Burst which is considered a "must-have", you give up 2 points of damage for 1 extra blast/burst. Considering that extra blast or burst might let you include 2 extra targets? That's huge. That, by far, trumps losing 1 point of damage per target.

The hard cap on Blastwaves push is both a pro and a con. Pro: everyone can use it. Con: Thunderwave's is much better for Orb users. But, that's not even 50% of all Wizards. Most wizards would prefer to have a Push 3 than a Push 0 or 1. Yes, Orb wizards will take Thunderwave, but that's a given. It's tailored for them.

I ignore Mark of Storms because I play LFR almost exclusively. I don't even know what any of the other Marks do. I can look them up, sure, but I've never bothered.

Thunderwave being eligible for Resounding Thunder is very nice, but that's also a paragon feat. Fire spells get their own feat support and it's pretty darn good.

Considering that the majority of Wizards don't get much use out of Thunderwave (due to the small push for them), I think a fixed push 3 is wonderful.

Frost Cheese with Admixtured Freezing burst is generally more powerful than regular FC because _all_ enemies in the area are afflicted with Cold vulnerability via Arcane Fire.

Further, the point of bringing up this combination to demonstrate that Re'ozul's combo featuring Fiery Eruption is not particularly strong in contrast.

I should have stayed out of that conversation. I haven't read 90% of it. :P I have no idea what Re'ozul was bringing up, tbh.

Surrealistik
2011-02-07, 03:35 PM
1 less average damage is nothing. When you look at Enlarge Burst which is considered a "must-have", you give up 2 points of damage for 1 extra blast/burst. Considering that extra blast or burst might let you include 2 extra targets? That's huge. That, by far, trumps losing 1 point of damage per target.

The hard cap on Blastwaves push is both a pro and a con. Pro: everyone can use it. Con: Thunderwave's is much better for Orb users. But, that's not even 50% of all Wizards. Most wizards would prefer to have a Push 3 than a Push 0 or 1. Yes, Orb wizards will take Thunderwave, but that's a given. It's tailored for them.

I ignore Mark of Storms because I play LFR almost exclusively. I don't even know what any of the other Marks do. I can look them up, sure, but I've never bothered.

Thunderwave being eligible for Resounding Thunder is very nice, but that's also a paragon feat. Fire spells get their own feat support and it's pretty darn good.

Considering that the majority of Wizards don't get much use out of Thunderwave (due to the small push for them), I think a fixed push 3 is wonderful.

Actually Wisdom is by far the most common secondary stat for Wizards; most will probably get at least a 6 push by Epic. In nearly all cases, nearly every optimized Wizard will have Wis 14 by Paragon (for Push 2).

Pyromancers are the only frequently played mage/wizard subtype that generally doesn't invest heavily in Wis. Yes, Wand Wizards and Summoners exist but they are significantly (in the latter's case vastly) underwhelming options as contrasted to the Orb specialities. In all cases however, Wisdom is at bare minimum the leading tertiary stat. Even Enchanters and Illusionists are often focused on Wis over Cha.

Thunderwave is also eligible for Sound Sound which is superb. Generally AoE expansion, additional control (Mark of Storms) and defense bolstering > moar damage which defines virtually all fire feat support.

Honestly, if the Area was reduced to 3 without a significant damage bump or some added secondary effect, it would be basically pointless even for those who don't invest heavily in Wis (at least beyond Heroic). In summation it would be:

Push 2-10, superior damage, superior damage typing and feat support vs Push 3. Not much of a contest :\

Surrealistik
2011-02-07, 05:26 PM
Alright, some possible changes for Sudden Ignition (which I find to be weak due to its DoT vs Scorching Bursts' well... burst damage, and Fortitude targeting), and Blastwave:

Blastwave is now a Close blast 3.

It gains the clause:

"Special: You can reduce the size of the blast to a minimum of 1. For each time you reduce the blast size by 1, this power deals 2 extra damage and pushes the target an extra square."

Plays to the priority of fire-blasters (dealing damage), and features an interesting focus fire mechanic not unlike Blazing Salvo.

As for Sudden Ignition:

"If the target already has ongoing fire damage, increase that ongoing damage by your Intelligence modifier and it takes a -2 penalty to saving throws against effects with ongoing fire damage until the end of your next turn."

Differences are in bold.

The reasoning:

Targeting Fortitude essentially amounts to a -2 penalty to hit in many cases, reducing the damage by 10%.

0.9 * (SUM:Bonuses,Bonuses * 0.3833,Bonuses * 0.3833^2...) vs 1d6 + Bonuses (Scorching Burst)

Where Bonuses * 0.3833 defines the average bonus damage vs all monster types (Solo, Elites, Regulars).

So ~10 total in bonuses is required before there is break even assuming a 5 round combat. If only the second ping of ongoing fire damage is assumed to hit beyond the first, then the break even is 17.5.

Second, frontloaded damage that happens immediately is more valuable than back loaded damage, particularly backloaded damage that can be negated through items/powers. To compensate for both of these issues, it needs to do more back loaded damage, or do it more reliably. With a -2 penalty, the break even point becomes ~8 (13.5 if only the second ping beyond the first is assumed). It also has the added draw of synergizing with other fire powers.

In summary, Scorching Burst grants more reliable, frontloaded damage, but less of it over time.

tcrudisi
2011-02-08, 05:02 AM
Blastwave - Wizard Attack 1
With a quick thrust of your palm, you discharge an explosive wave of scorching heat and rushing air that sears your opponents and sends them flying.
Standard Action Close blast 3
Target: Each creature in the blast
Hit: 1d4 + Intelligence modifier fire damage, and you push the target up to 3 squares.
Special: You can reduce the size of the blast to a minimum of blast 1. For each time you reduce the blast size by 1, this power deals 2 extra damage and pushes the target 1 extra square.
Level 21: 2d4 + Intelligence modifier fire damage.

I find this power to be very interesting now. Kudos on the fun and interesting mechanic.

Compared to Thunderwave:
Pros: Targets Ref instead of Fort
Far more party-friendly
Option for strong pushing mechanic at heroic tier (competitive through paragon)
Slightly more damage overall
More feat support

Cons: More easily resisted (Fire vs. Thunder) without expenditure of resources
Has the superior feat, but far less support otherwise.
Wis-secondary Wizards will get equivalent push in paragon and more push in epic.

I think this mechanic (lowering burst/blast size to reap extra benefits) would make for a very interesting paragon path.

I still politely disagree that the majority of Wizards are Wis-secondary. Summoners are Con, Genasi are Str, Enchanters are Cha, Staff is Con, Wand is Dex, Tome, Evokers, and Pyromancers want Con.

Most Wizards want Wis 13 (Enlarge Spell), but most Wizards also want Cha 13 (Spell Focus). It's certainly not a guarantee that anyone other than an Orb user will choose Wis over Cha. Diplomacy is a sweet skill (although History is wonderful for Strategist's Epiphany).

Surrealistik
2011-02-08, 01:04 PM
Thanks for your feedback on the new blast wave. I was trying to find a mechanic that would differentiate it as a truly unique power, yet would remain balanced, simple to understand, and fun to use, glad you like it.

I still politely disagree that the majority of Wizards are Wis-secondary. Summoners are Con, Genasi are Str, Enchanters are Cha, Staff is Con, Wand is Dex, Tome, Evokers, and Pyromancers want Con.

Enchanters actually tend to go Wis, unless they are really concerned about maximizing their Diplomacy, it's needed for a specific paragon path/epic destiny or the campaign is otherwise RP heavy; spotting hidden enemies/traps/objects and being aware in general + kickers > social skills. They have no real reason beyond this to invest in Cha as none of their kickers are Cha dependent. Even Illusionists with the Orb of Deception have more reason to invest in Cha than they do, but they ultimately don't because even with the Orb, Wis is generally the better choice not far beyond the minimum required for Spell Focus.

If by Tome you mean Tome of Readiness, Wisdom is the obvious choice. Otherwise Tome = Summoners. As for Wand and Staff, they are rarities as Wizard builds go (being largely inferior to Orb of Imposition), and even when they are seen, Wisdom is rarely ignored beyond the Enlarge Spell prerequisite (after a certain point, it's overkill to invest in their respective class features).

Also what Evocation spells/features really benefit from Constitution?

Added Spreading Fire, Flashfire, Sear to Cinders, Focus Fire, and Jet Rush.

tcrudisi
2011-02-08, 06:30 PM
Spreading Fire - Wizard Attack 1
Sweeping your hand, you conjure into being a blazing pyre that spreads across the battlefield.
At-Will - Arcane, Conjuration, Fire, Implement
Effect: You conjure a roaring flame in a square within range until the end of your next turn. The fire sheds bright light out to a radius of 5 squares, and its space counts as difficult terrain. Creatures that willingly enter the flame's space or start their turns there take 1d4 + Intelligence modifier fire damage. You can dismiss a flame as a minor action.
Sustain Minor: The effect persists, and you can conjure another flame in a space adjacent to an existing flame. You cannot have more fires in play than your Constitution modifier + 3 at one time.

Wizard Utility 2:
Jet Rush - Wizard Utility 2
Your feet and hands blaze with jets of fire, momentarily propelling you through the air.
Encounter - Arcane, Fire
Move Action - Personal
Effect: You fly a number of squares equal to your Intelligence modifier + Constitution modifier and can use a power during this movement. If you do not land at the end of this movement, you fall.

Focus Fire - Wizard Utility 2
Fire gathers on your palms, radiating light and heat as you focus your power, channeling it into a devastating blaze.
Encounter - Arcane, Fire
Minor Action - Personal
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, you gain a +2 power bonus to the next attack and damage roll you make with an arcane fire attack, and shed bright light in a radius of 2 squares. This light source ends immediately when you apply this bonus.

These are the only 3 I've taken a look at (of the new ones) thus far.

My gut was telling me that Spreading Fire was overpowered at first, until I realized that it wasn't. It does, however, need some editing. Why set a limit on the number that you can have out be so high when you are limited by action economy anyway? Say your Con mod is 5, netting you, at most, 8 of them. You still only get Standard / Move / Minor ... so if you want to do nothing, you can have out 3 at most (barring Ring of Time and other shenanigans at epic level). Also, since you can't move the zone, I don't really see a problem with it.

Jet Rush. Now here's the big one. Wow. This is so broken that I don't think it would fly as an epic level utility. It has the power of a move + move + standard action all for the cost of a move? Wow. First - that's a lot of movement from a level 2 utility. Yeah, it's flying instead of teleporting, but even weaker modes of movement don't get that much. Second ... can use any power? That's what completely breaks this thing. Let's pretend you've got 22/18 ... so you can fly 10 squares (doable at level 8). You fly 10 squares and then use Visions of Avarice. For your standard action, you missed one so you Hypnotise him to move him in close. Then you action point and cast Sleep. At a minimum, Jet Rush has to lose the "and can use a power during this movement" line.

Focus Fire is actually the weakest power you've made yet. It's not that it's weak ... it's just not sky blue or gold. It's solid, definitely. I like the light mechanic aspect of it. Neat power.

Surrealistik
2011-02-08, 08:32 PM
These are the only 3 I've taken a look at (of the new ones) thus far.

My gut was telling me that Spreading Fire was overpowered at first, until I realized that it wasn't. It does, however, need some editing. Why set a limit on the number that you can have out be so high when you are limited by action economy anyway? Say your Con mod is 5, netting you, at most, 8 of them. You still only get Standard / Move / Minor ... so if you want to do nothing, you can have out 3 at most (barring Ring of Time and other shenanigans at epic level). Also, since you can't move the zone, I don't really see a problem with it.

Keep in mind that the sustain action sustains all fires and each fire can replicate. In otherwords, the fires can spread extremely quickly. I think some language clarification is needed.

Jet Rush. Now here's the big one. Wow. This is so broken that I don't think it would fly as an epic level utility. It has the power of a move + move + standard action all for the cost of a move? Wow. First - that's a lot of movement from a level 2 utility. Yeah, it's flying instead of teleporting, but even weaker modes of movement don't get that much. Second ... can use any power? That's what completely breaks this thing. Let's pretend you've got 22/18 ... so you can fly 10 squares (doable at level 8). You fly 10 squares and then use Visions of Avarice. For your standard action, you missed one so you Hypnotise him to move him in close. Then you action point and cast Sleep. At a minimum, Jet Rush has to lose the "and can use a power during this movement" line.

You seem to misunderstand the power; you must still pay the normal action cost of any power used during Jet Rush's movement. The point of this is so you can, for example, use a Daily at the apex of your flight when you might possess an advantageous position, denying your enemy the benefits of cover/concealment he would otherwise enjoy. Again I suppose I should add a clause/section which clarifies this.

Focus Fire is actually the weakest power you've made yet. It's not that it's weak ... it's just not sky blue or gold. It's solid, definitely. I like the light mechanic aspect of it. Neat power.

It's a fairly niche power; I'd say blue/sky blue for the right build (as a fire blaster I'd strongly consider using this over Shield), otherwise not particularly useful.