View Full Version : How do you pronounce Xykon?

Thorcrest
2011-02-07, 01:15 PM
Exactly what it says in the title, I've been on these forums for a while now and seen this type of thread for Elan, which I maintain is pronounced EH-lan, not EE-lin or EE-lan, but I digress, but I have never seen one for Xykon... so how do you guys pronounce it? I have always pronounced it z-EYE-kon. Has Rich ever mentioned this? It is just a very odd name what with having the letter X and all which is not very common in English, especially for starting names! Yes, some names start with X... Xavier, for instance.

Kuldace
2011-02-07, 02:09 PM
It's pronounced with an X sound, not a Z.

Bloogle
2011-02-07, 02:15 PM

Well so far it's two against one for z-EYE-con :smallcool:

ThePhantasm
2011-02-07, 02:15 PM

(Assuming you are serious) "Z" is the X sound when X is at the beginning of a word.

chionophile
2011-02-07, 02:30 PM
z-EYE-kon? This looks like you're saying the letter "z" then the words eye and con (zee-EYE-kon?). Is this accurate?

It's just ZY-kon. ZY rhymes with eye. Like xylophone, with a -kon instead of a -lophone.

Thorcrest
2011-02-07, 02:43 PM
I had originally wrote it out in that manner chionophile, but I felt that it might be confused and pronounced ZEE, so I changed it. I am not a master of pheonetic writing, but that was my intention (Not zee-EYE-kon).

Besides we all know Z is pronounced Zed :smalltongue:

Kuldace, how exactly would you pronouce it as then? EX-ikon? Much like lexicon without the L?

Chaos rising
2011-02-07, 03:30 PM
In Start of Darkness Righteye calls Xykon "Zykon". Xykon then tells him his name starts with an x and Righteye responds "wait, how did you know I used a Z?" This seems to indicate that it's pronounces as Zykon would be even though it's spelled Xykon.

DaveMcW
2011-02-07, 03:40 PM
Click the "Important/Reoccuring/FAQ Threads or Notices" thread, and scroll down to "Could the Giant give us a pronounce guide?".

Thorcrest
2011-02-07, 03:44 PM
Well would you look at that... funny that I hadn't seen it before! hehe :smallredface:

factotum
2011-02-07, 04:38 PM
I don't pronounce it as Zykon, but it's rather hard to describe how I *do* pronounce it--there's a kind of catch to it that makes it sound subtly different. The X sound comes more from the back of my mouth than the Z does.

xyzchyx
2011-02-07, 05:07 PM
I don't pronounce it as Zykon, but it's rather hard to describe how I *do* pronounce it--there's a kind of catch to it that makes it sound subtly different. The X sound comes more from the back of my mouth than the Z does.This would imply that you are pronouncing his name incorrectly. While I won't dispute that sometimes an X can sound like that, it's quite clear that the X in Xykon is actually supposed to be pronounced exactly the same as the X in Xylophone - which is the same sound often indicated by the letter Z.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-07, 05:27 PM
I'm glad that when I saw this thread, the most recent response was by "xyzchyx." Now it's by Veishuh?It'suhhTyhjyys or whatever.

Themrys
2011-02-07, 05:32 PM
(Assuming you are serious) "Z" is the X sound when X is at the beginning of a word.

Good to know. For some reason I always thought it was a Ks -sound. :smalleek:

MoonCat
2011-02-07, 05:57 PM
I looked in the FAQ, I don't see this. Is there a new FAQ?

Thorcrest
2011-02-07, 06:03 PM
It's the stickied thread in this forum, not the actual FAQ for the website.

MoonCat
2011-02-07, 06:03 PM
It's the stickied thread in this forum, not the actual FAQ for the website.

Ohh, thank you!

Flame of Anor
2011-02-07, 07:10 PM
I know, "it's not the word, it's his name", but naming a character with the same ... string of letters as make up a common word, and then expecting people not to pronounce it the same way *as* the word?

What next - "This is my fighter Tough, pronounced 'Towg'." ?

This is how I feel about Elan's name. :smallsigh:

nilocrulesu
2011-02-07, 07:18 PM
I always pronounced it ekcs-euh-kon

CletusMusashi
2011-02-07, 07:25 PM
It's pronounced "Crownhead McBoneypants."
Redcloak is pronounced "Xchyxeghqueghch."

NerfTW
2011-02-07, 08:17 PM
it's pronounces as Zykon would be even though it's spelled Xykon.

It's not "even though". That's how you pronounce an X at the beginning of a word in American English. Just like Xylophone, Xenophobe, Xerox, Xanadu, etc.

There really shouldn't be any debate on this. Besides Rich's statements, that's how English says it's pronounced.

yldenfrei
2011-02-07, 08:58 PM
I don't pronounce it as Zykon, but it's rather hard to describe how I *do* pronounce it--there's a kind of catch to it that makes it sound subtly different. The X sound comes more from the back of my mouth than the Z does.

Same here. I pronounce it ksy-kon. The k though slightly muted is still audible.

Detrinex
2011-02-07, 09:03 PM
Z-eye-con is how I roll.

HalfTangible
2011-02-07, 09:04 PM
I pronounce it Zai-Kon

Bleak Ink
2011-02-07, 09:20 PM
Exactly what it says in the title, I've been on these forums for a while now and seen this type of thread for Elan, which I maintain is pronounced EH-lan, not EE-lin or EE-lan, but I digress, but I have never seen one for Xykon... so how do you guys pronounce it? I have always pronounced it z-EYE-kon. Has Rich ever mentioned this? It is just a very odd name what with having the letter X and all which is not very common in English, especially for starting names! Yes, some names start with X... Xavier, for instance.

You and I do the same with both names: "Eh-lan" and "Zy (like eye) -kon". Now, another question is, how do you personally pronounce Haley? I've always said "Hail-ee" and always will, but I heard a guy on Youtube say "Hal-ee", which intrigues me. :smallconfused:

Thorcrest
2011-02-07, 11:14 PM
I've always pronounced Haley as HAY-lee, which is likely the same, or at least very similar, to your way of pronouncing it.

rewinn
2011-02-08, 12:11 AM
Everyone knows "X" stands for the unknown.

So the proper pronunciation is TheUnknownykon.

CletusMusashi
2011-02-08, 12:20 AM
Or, alternately, X can be ANYTHING! His name might very well be Marimba Flapjack Cantaloupe Gerbil Why-ya-kay-uk-o-en-nuh.

LuPuWei
2011-02-08, 05:39 AM
Kuldace, how exactly would you pronouce it as then? EX-ikon? Much like lexicon without the L?

Sacrebleu! Le Xykon vient!

aldeayeah
2011-02-08, 08:30 AM
I pronounce it shee-CONN.

Comes naturally as a Galician.

Firemeier
2011-02-08, 11:10 AM
Besides we all know Z is pronounced Zed

Who's Zed?

Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead.

On the topic at hand: I tend to switch between zy-kon and the germanified version ksy-kon.

Thorcrest
2011-02-08, 02:04 PM
Who's Zed?

Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead.

Maybe it's the fact that I only got three hours of sleep last night, but I don't get the spoiler, so I can only assume you are serious.

It was a joke as Americans pronounce it Zee, and Canadians, such as myself, use the British pronounciation of Zed.

Goosefarble
2011-02-08, 02:13 PM
Huh, I didn't know Canadians said Zed like we do in Britain. And I really aught to, since my girlfriend's Canadian.

Anyway. I say ZYE-kon. I kind of thought everyone did this. Haley I say HAY-lee, Elan I say "Ell-ann" or "Ell-un", to me Ee-lin sounds ridiculous. The only other one I had problems with was Zz'dtri, oh, and Sabine, but that's only because for the first 100 strips she was in I thought she was called Sabrine. Because I am a moron.

One thing I do wonder though, is how do you pronounce O-chul? I say O (as in ScOtt) tshul, but I wonder if it's meant to be Oh-tshul, Oh-kul, or... something I haven't even thought of.

Rev_Rev
2011-02-08, 03:18 PM
Zi-kon, with a long i like eye. Also I call Elan el-len, but my mom says it should be ee-lan. :smallconfused:

nilocrulesu
2011-02-08, 04:56 PM
Maybe it's the fact that I only got three hours of sleep last night, but I don't get the spoiler, so I can only assume you are serious.

It was a joke as Americans pronounce it Zee, and Canadians, such as myself, use the British pronounciation of Zed.

I'm canadian, and I always pronounced it zee.

LuPuWei
2011-02-08, 07:57 PM

That was a reference to
Pulp Fiction.

SPoD
2011-02-08, 08:04 PM
One thing I do wonder though, is how do you pronounce O-chul? I say O (as in ScOtt) tshul, but I wonder if it's meant to be Oh-tshul, Oh-kul, or... something I haven't even thought of.

I pronounce it "OH-tchewl." As in, first syllable rhymes with "go" and the second syllable rhymes with "mule".

veti
2011-02-08, 10:07 PM
As a native British English speaker, I'd go with "ksy-kon", with a slight stress on the first syllable.

"Haley", I've always assumed to be a variant spelling of "Hayley", which is a fairly common female name where I come from. Pronounced "Hay-li". Though I've just realised that "Haley" may be a boy's name (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haley_Joel_Osment), which could be a clue to Haley's big secret...

"O-Chul" would be "O" as in "hole", followed by "chul" to rhyme with "bull".

And "MitD", it goes without saying, would be pronounced "Cholmondeley-Featherstone".

Herald Alberich
2011-02-08, 10:17 PM
Though I've just realised that "Haley" may be a boy's name (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haley_Joel_Osment), which could be a clue to Haley's big secret...

If that was the secret, Elan would know it by now.

veti
2011-02-08, 10:22 PM
If that was the secret, Elan would know it by now.

1. Not necessarily, if Haley is a transsexual. But...
2. ... maybe he does.

Nimrod's Son
2011-02-08, 11:53 PM
As a native British English speaker, I'd go with "ksy-kon", with a slight stress on the first syllable.
"I'd go with" sounds a little like you're recommending that others should do the same, when in fact the correct answer is this:

It's not "even though". That's how you pronounce an X at the beginning of a word in American English. Just like Xylophone, Xenophobe, Xerox, Xanadu, etc.

There really shouldn't be any debate on this. Besides Rich's statements, that's how English says it's pronounced.
Even though he said "American English" there, it's just as true for British English too. No one in Britain says "ksylophone" or "ksenophobe", they use the Z sound.

Plus the fact that (in SoD) on separate occasions both Right-Eye and Lirian pronounce his name with a Z instead of an X, and Xykon haughtily corrects them on their spelling. There really can't be any doubt about it: the one and only correct answer to the question is ZY-kon (or 'zaɪ-kɒn if we're going by the IPA).

CletusMusashi
2011-02-09, 02:19 AM
You know, I thought this was a silly thread at the beginning.
The "Ks" thing has me wondering, though.
Professor Xavion may well have pronounced it Ksavion. In fact, I actually always wondered whether not he pronounces it Eksavion, using Marvel English, rather than American, British, Canadian, or Discworld. Xykon certainly caught onto the the fact that it was pronounced with an X quickly enough.
Is it possible that Xykon started out calling himself Ksykon and, as he tired of all the annoying confusion that followed he simply started de-emphasizing the first K? Interestingly, when I read him and my brain puts in the usual Jack Nicholson voice that it asigns to him, Zykon works better. But with the Darth Vader reverb, Ksykon actually sounds better.

veti
2011-02-09, 05:54 AM
Even though he said "American English" there, it's just as true for British English too. No one in Britain says "ksylophone" or "ksenophobe", they use the Z sound.

That's - mostly true, but not entirely. Britain - like anywhere else, I suspect - has its fair share of pedants who take pride in pronouncing an 'x' differently from a 'z', even at the beginning of a word. You wouldn't notice the difference unless you're listening for it, but it does happen.

You can hear it, just about, in Patrick Stewart's pronunciation of 'Xavier' (and thanks to CletusMusashi for bringing that to mind).

factotum
2011-02-09, 06:49 AM

No one? Thanks for keeping me straight there, I was under the impression I was born and bred in the UK, but only now (40 years later) do I find out I was wrong all along! I really must find out where I come from now that I know I'm not British... :smallannoyed:

doodthedud
2011-02-09, 10:38 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4992

I was sad to discover it is in fact NOT "eh-lan"

Everything else I got right :D

Nimrod's Son
2011-02-11, 05:05 PM
No one? Thanks for keeping me straight there, I was under the impression I was born and bred in the UK, but only now (40 years later) do I find out I was wrong all along! I really must find out where I come from now that I know I'm not British... :smallannoyed:
:smallsigh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_of_speech

Dr.Epic
2011-02-12, 12:01 AM
With an "x" and not "z" as seen in SoD.

Themrys
2011-02-12, 06:17 AM

Maybe you are German?
:smallbiggrin:

However, it is a relief that there are British who pronounce it the same way I always assumed it was pronounced. I can live with sounding like a British pedant. Just as long as I don't sound like a clueless foreigner...

weckar
2011-02-12, 12:54 PM

Though there's no indication the name is in fact English, so your point is moot.

pinwiz
2011-02-12, 02:17 PM
Though there's no indication the name is in fact English, so your point is moot.

Except for the writer of the comic is American and he speaks English, and has confirmed the American pronunciation of Xykon, you're right he has no point.

doodthedud
2011-02-12, 02:22 PM
Except for the writer of the comic is American and he speaks English, and has confirmed the American pronunciation of Xykon, your right he has no point.

You just made my list of people on this forum who are sensible.

aart lover
2011-02-13, 01:20 AM
it's pronounced "Zykon". when an X is a the beginning of a word it is said like a Z

Sylthia
2011-02-13, 01:32 AM
I pronounced it rhyming with icon and the x as a z sound as in zip. Though technically, it's spelled Xykon, but pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove".

Kish
2011-02-13, 01:54 PM
I pronounce it exactly how it's spelled.

Tydude
2011-02-13, 03:06 PM
Am I the only one who pronounces it "Ecks-Eye-Con"? As in, actually saying the letter "X", making it a three syllable word. That's the same way I say "Xylophone", by saying "X" at the beginning. I realize it's wrong, but I want to know if I'm the only one doing this.

Sylthia
2011-02-13, 03:39 PM
I wasn't 100% sure about the x being a z sound, and thought it might be Ek-zeye-kon, along the lines of Xavier being Ek-zay-vee-er, but SoD shows that people pronounce it Zykon.

LuPuWei
2011-02-13, 03:44 PM
Ekswaikayoen. That's how its pronounced.

(Of course then Ekswaikayoen is pronounced Eekayesdublyuayaikayaywaioweeyen and so ad infinitum...)

Mr. Snuggles
2011-02-13, 06:18 PM
Every time I see it, I want to mentally say "shykon" because the way that I see X has been changed by learning Chinese. Pinyin "X" sounds sort of like "sh" but you move your mouth in a different way (a way we don't have in English, which makes it tricky). In Pinyin (the pronunciation of the Chinese characters using the Latin alphabet) the letters X, Q, and Z are very common, compared to English where they're quite rare.

SaintRidley
2011-02-13, 06:50 PM
It's pronounced Xykon.

Cazaril
2011-02-13, 07:44 PM
I say ZAI-kahn.

Gilmiril
2011-02-14, 11:15 AM
I'm Canadian, and I always pronounce it 'zed'. But that may be a generational thing; my elementary-school-aged kids pronounce it 'zee', and I need to punish them until they get it right. :smallwink:

Swordpriest
2011-02-14, 12:56 PM
ZY-kon.

Not only is it the only correct pronunciation by the rules of our language, but it's also a heck of a lot easier to say it that way -- and that alone would be enough to prompt me to say it that way.

Gandariel
2011-02-14, 04:44 PM
i've always pronunced this:

C (as in Core)
SY (as in pSYchology)
Kon
CSYKON

WoolenSocks
2011-02-14, 07:21 PM

:smalleek: Blasphemy! You, sir, are a bad Canadian!

:smallwink:

rewinn
2011-02-14, 07:25 PM
I'm Canadian, and I always pronounce it 'zed'. But that may be a generational thing; my elementary-school-aged kids pronounce it 'zee', and I need to punish them until they get it right. :smallwink:

In Canadian, isn't it pronounced "zYkon eh?" :smalltongue:

aart lover
2011-02-14, 09:14 PM

you canadians and your darn accents:smallbiggrin:

Gege32
2011-02-16, 05:39 AM
Cy-kon?:smalltongue: