PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Tibbit Conversion [WIP, PEACH]

Amnestic
2011-02-07, 01:23 PM
So Tibbits are awesome, and I thought 4th Edition could do with an injection of awesome. Drew this up a while ago and just finished writing out the fluff today, so without further ado-

Tibbits

Playful observers, they hide as the most innocuous of creatures.

Average Height: 2'6" - 3'2"
Average Weight: 30 - 40lbs.

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence OR +2 Charisma
Size: Small
Speed: 5 Squares
Vision: Low-light vision

Languages: Common, Feline, one other.
Skill Bonuses: +2 Perception, +2 Streetwise or Insight
Sunspot Stretches: Spending a healing surge while in natural sunlight, but not in combat, restores twice as many hit points.
Catlike Agility: +1 to Reflex Defence.
You're Not The Boss Of Me: You have a +2 racial bonus to saving throws against domination or powers with the charm keyword.
Transform: Can use the Feline Transformation Power.
Kitty Got Claws: Can use the I'll Scratch Your Eyes Out, Bite and Claws powers.

---------------------------------------------------------
Feline Transformation

Feline Transformation - Tibbit Racial Power
With a soft purr, your form morphs and changes into that of an ordinary, common house cat.
At Will * Polymorph
Minor Action (Special) * Personal
Effect: You change from your humanoid form to catform or vice versa. When you change from catform back to your humanoid form, you shift 1 square.
While you are in catform, you can’t use attack, utility, or feat powers that lack the catform keyword.
While in Catform, armour, weapons, shields, and other gear you're carrying (eg. backpack) become part of your new form and non-functional.
While in Catform, magical rings, bracers, amulets, implements etc. are morphed into more cat-friendly accessories, such as a small choker or little booties. Any powers from these items are still usable in catform, even lacking the catform keyword.
You cannot speak any 'humanoid' languages while in Cat form; however as you retain your intellect you can still communicate with others telepathically if you were already able to do so. You retain your ability to speak Feline.
If slain in Catform, returns to humanoid form after 1 round.
+4 to Stealth, +2 Perception while in Catform.
Your size becomes Tiny, and you gain +2 Racial Bonus to AC while in Catform.
+1 Speed while in Catform.
Your type changes from Humanoid to Beast while in Catform.

Special: You can use this power once per round.

I'll Scratch Your Eyes Out!

I'll Scratch Your Eyes Out! - Tibbit Racial Power
Screeching and leaping, you assault your opponents ocular functions with all the tenacity you can muster.
Daily Power * Catform
Standard Action * Close
Targets: 1 Small, Medium or Large enemy with organic eyes
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d4+Dexterity Modifier Damage, enemy is Dazed for until the end of their next turn. Vision is blurred for 1d4 rounds unless healed. While vision is blurred, any creatures beyond 5 squares have Concealment.
2d4+Dexterity Modifier Damage if used during Surprise Round.

Damage increases to 3d4+Dexterity Modifier (6d4+Dexterity Modifier during Surprise Round) at 11th Level. Vision is blurred for 2d4 rounds unless healed.
Damage increases to 5d4+Dexterity Modifier (10d4+Dexterity Modifier during Surprise Round) at 21st Level. Vision is blurred for 3d4 rounds unless healed.
Special: You can shift 1 square before and 1 square after this attack (2 total). You may use none or all of the squares as desired.

Bite/Claw

Bite Tibbit Racial Power
At Will Power * Catform
Standard Action Melee
Targets: One Creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 1d4+Dexterity Modifier damage

Increase damage to 2d4 + Dexterity Modifier at 11th Level.
Increase damage to 3d4 + Dexterity Modifier at 16th Level.
Increase damage to 4d4 + Dexterity Modifier at 21st Level.
Effect: If over 10 damage is dealt with this attack, your allies are treated as having combat advantage against the target until the end of your next turn.

Claws Tibbit Racial Power
At Will Power * Catform
Standard Action Melee
Targets: One Creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 1d3+Dexterity Modifier damage

Increase damage to 2d3 + Dexterity Modifier at 11th Level.
Increase damage to 3d3 + Dexterity Modifier at 16th Level.
Increase damage to 4d3 + Dexterity Modifier at 21st Level.
Special: You can shift 2 squares after this attack.

---------------------------------------------------------

Fluff: Basically a slight rewrite of the fluff in Dragon Compendium to fit more in line with the racial descriptions of 4e. Still, criticisms/corrections welcome!

Play a Tibbit if you want...

To be a kitty!

To live an aloof, carefree existence.

To be a member of a race which favours the Rogue, Wizard and Avenger classes.

Physical Qualities-

Tibbits are a small, commonly dark-skinned people with pointed ears and catlike eyes. Their hair often grows thick and long,
with male Tibbits often sporting sideburns. Their skin tones will range from a tawny brown to a deep black, though occasionally
you will find albino Tibbits with a skin of purest white. Their hair colours range over the colours you find in house cats which
again is a large range from white to black to tabby and beyond.

While in cat form, Tibbits are often fat, but energetic house cats. They appear identical to any common, domesticated breed with
the only way to discern between the two being magical in nature.

A Tibbit will typically reach adulthood at around the age of 15-20, but they are exceedingly long lived reaching Middle Age at around 125 years, and not dying of old age for centuries later. The oldest Tibbit is reported to have lived just over 600 years before finally passing away peacefully in a well worn and much loved sunspot.

Playing a Tibbit-

Tibbits tend to regard others as bemused observers. They often remain in their animal form while observing other humanoid races. Due
to their long lifespan, this can go on for many years, the Tibbit never revealing her true nature. They lack any sort of civilisation
or lands of their own, preferring to inhabit those set up by other races, which they inhabit gladly. While they have little issue with
showing themselves in either their humanoid or their catform, Tibbits rarely publicise the connection between the two and their shapechanging abilities. Many people tend to look down or discriminate against them for their abilities.

Tibbits have their own god named the Cat Lord, who watches over all felines. Their religion is hardly organised, with the majority of
Tibbits viewing the Cat Lord more as a protector and "big brother" figure, as opposed to the more rigid setup of other humanoid religions. A number of Clerics have contended that Tibbits are simply too arrogant and independent to stick to a deity like the other races, and
it's rare for a Tibbit to argue against this.

Of the races, their relationship is closest with that of Gnomes and Halflings who they have a special affinity to. They also feel a certain
kindred spirit with the long-lived elves, and find humanity's short lived ambitions and drive endlessly interesting to watch.

Tibbit Characteristics: curious, detached, free, inconspicuous, lucky, nimble, patient, perceptive, quick, sly, tricky

Names: Tibbits have two names. One is given to them when they're kittens by their parents, one that reflects their temperament and appearance. When a Tibbit comes of age, they choose their own nickname, often based on their physical traits, deeds, and the sound of the name. A Tibbit will only tell her closest friends her original name given by their parents, and a non-Tibbit being told this is this greatest honour a Tibbit can grant to an outsider. For all other relationships, a Tibbit will choose the name she chose herself.

The thing I'm most concerned about is power usage while in Catform. 3.5 has it limited to removing spells that utilise somatic or verbal components - meaning that SLAs like a Warlock's Eldritch Blast or a Dragonfire Adept's breath weapon are still viable, along with any metamagic'd Ocular Spells. I considered a blanket ban on all abilities (with the exception of I'll Scratch Your Eyes Out of course), but I'm not sure if that'd be any better.

I statted out a Cat since I couldn't actually see one in the basic 4e Monster Manual, though I might have missed it or it might be in a book I don't have as of yet.

Beyond that, general criticisms and comments are welcome. Be gentle (but not too gentle!), it's my first real homebrew :smallredface:

Mando Knight
2011-02-07, 02:00 PM
1. Cats don't have Darkvision.
2. Transformation, being based off of Wild Shape, should use 4e's Wild Shape text instead.
3. They're not Reflex Saves anymore. It's Reflex Defense.
4. "Charm" is a keyword, not a condition. It should be something like "+2 to saving throws against domination and powers with the charm keyword."

Amnestic
2011-02-07, 02:15 PM
Changes made. Don't want it to be quite the same as Wildshape I don't think, but I did modify the power slightly to be more in line with it.

Darth Stabber
2011-02-07, 04:05 PM
Love this. Now I want to make a set of tibbit rogue powers to make this cat sizzle. Sadly this makes my old Tibbit Psion unconvertable, since he never left cat form, though i may convert his filthy, mentally ill, hobo mount just for fun.

Mando Knight
2011-02-07, 04:38 PM
Changes made. Don't want it to be quite the same as Wildshape I don't think, but I did modify the power slightly to be more in line with it.

My point with it is, that a character's actual stats rarely if ever change due to powers or items in 4e, and the designers try not to make items worthless while in alternate forms (such as implements and armor for a Wildshaped Druid). Also, the to-hit on the daily power is going to suffer steadily more and more, as it doesn't get any bonuses from anything, be it bonuses intrinsic to the power (i.e. Dragon Breath) or from accessories (i.e. implements or weapons).

Darth Stabber
2011-02-07, 05:04 PM
Alternate Tibbit specific powers for various classes could be a good solution. Or racial feats that give generic powers.

Amnestic
2011-02-07, 06:28 PM
My point with it is, that a character's actual stats rarely if ever change due to powers or items in 4e, and the designers try not to make items worthless while in alternate forms (such as implements and armor for a Wildshaped Druid). Also, the to-hit on the daily power is going to suffer steadily more and more, as it doesn't get any bonuses from anything, be it bonuses intrinsic to the power (i.e. Dragon Breath) or from accessories (i.e. implements or weapons).

This...is a very good point. I'm not entirely sure why I thought I had to stat out a separate form. I'll fix it tomorrow once I have more time and am less tired.

Alternate Tibbit specific powers for various classes could be a good solution.

Could be a bit excessive to do it for each class. Might be better to do it for each primary role, but if I get a burst of inspiration and a bunch of time on my hands (Wednesday probably. Yay free day) I might see what I can come up with.

That is, if I don't get hung up making a larger list of rogue-specific kitty powers.

Edit: Some changes made, though I think I might've gone a bit too far in places and it's now overshadowing other races for stuff they have.