PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item that gives Improved Evasion?

Toliudar
2011-02-07, 02:09 PM
I'm preparing for a high-level combat that's likely to involve a lot of high DC reflex checks for damaging effects. I, on the other hand, am playing a squishy sorcerer. I know that often the answer is "don't be where the effect is in the first place", and I'll work on that too, but I'd love to have an Improved Evasion effect going to mitigate the ouch, should it occur. Are there any arcane spells or magic items that grant Improved Evasion?

HunterOfJello
2011-02-07, 02:25 PM
Ruin Delver's Fortune is a 4th level spell that can be cast as an immediate action to give evasion.

There are some items that give Evasion, but they're very high cost. Ring of Evasion for 25000gp comes to mind. I don't know of any items that give Improved Evasion. You could try to convince your DM to let you have improved evasion if you wear 2 Rings of Evasion since the Evasion class feature stacks up to Imp Evasion.

Waker
2011-02-07, 02:47 PM
You could try to convince your DM to let you have improved evasion if you wear 2 Rings of Evasion since the Evasion class feature stacks up to Imp Evasion.
That isn't true. Generally if you take levels in two classes that grant evasion, they do not stack. Only if it explicitly says so does evasion + evasion= improved evasion. Its a different story with uncanny dodge.

navar100
2011-02-07, 03:03 PM
Improved Evasion is a nice thing to have, but you should think like a spellcaster. There are spells to mitigate damage. (Minor) Globe Of Invulnerability negates spells lower than (3) 4, so you don't have to worry about Fireball or Lightning Bolt. There are also the spells Resist Energy and Protection From Energy. If you can use Spell Compendium or other splat books, there's Energy Immunity.

For magic items, take the normal ring of evasion and boost your reflex saving throw. You can get an item of resistance +3 or +4 or +5. Have a nice Dex and get a Dex booster item.

Toliudar
2011-02-07, 03:14 PM
Thanks, navar. That's all good advice. All of those things are in hand. Now I'm specifically trying to fill the gap of non-energy non-magical damage that requires a reflex save.

ericgrau
2011-02-07, 03:24 PM
Protection against 1 out of a dozen spells via globe of invulnerability is fairly poor, especially when many monsters do area damage with special abilities instead. Ya protections from the stronger energy types are a better bet. At high levels protection from spells is very handy to boost all saves by a ridiculous +8 (though it's a resistance bonus, so it doesn't stack). That combined with evasion is pretty handy. If you're really rich there's the ioun stone and the luck stone to boost saves via ways that aren't resistance bonuses. Contingency readied to dimension door you out of the area of any ray or area damaging spell would be nice too, though a 1 off spell might not be the best option for a sorcerer. OTOH it's contingency. If you have the amulet slot open a brooch of shielding can protect you against magic missile and related force spells.