PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to start reading KoDT?

Zach J.
2011-02-07, 02:39 PM
I'm currently waiting for my copy of HackMaster Basic to arrive and all the time I've been spending on the Kenzer Compnay website has made me want to start reading Knights of the Dinner Table. I was hoping to gather some people's opinions on whether it's better to start reading at the beginning with the bound issues or to just jump in and start reading the singles. Any thoughts?

Irbis
2011-02-07, 04:58 PM
It's good to read the single strips (Tales from the Vault?) to have a good idea who the characters are. Otherwise, read according to the date of printing.

While KotDT have a lot of continuity you might miss if you haven't read something, as long as you know the PCs and read recaps you shouldn't miss anything big.

Zach J.
2011-02-07, 05:06 PM
I suppose I'll start reading the Tales from the Vault paperbacks and then start at the beginning. Thank you for your time!

Irbis
2011-02-07, 05:48 PM
One note, though, these early strips were... well, let's say much worse in quality than the modern ones. They were still extremely amusing (after all, I was hooked after reading Dragon strips) but had little plot and relied on metagame.

DomaDoma
2011-02-07, 05:53 PM
One note, though, these early strips were... well, let's say much worse in quality than the modern ones. They were still extremely amusing (after all, I was hooked after reading Dragon strips) but had little plot and relied on metagame.

That's pretty much the story with about two-thirds of the gaming webcomics out there - including Order of the Stick - so it shouldn't be too jarring to apply the same principle to a print comic.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-09, 01:18 AM
Gazebo!

Honestly, I've never read them but do want to.

Brewdude
2011-02-09, 01:36 PM
You realize that hackmaster is an exact copy of the original 1st edition AD&D ruleset, right? (with some small KoDT extras).

Zach J.
2011-02-09, 04:52 PM
You realize that hackmaster is an exact copy of the original 1st edition AD&D ruleset, right? (with some small KoDT extras).

This is a new edition of the game. KenzerCo lost the license to parody AD&D in 2007 I believe, so they had to make a new edition that kept it different enough from AD&D to continue publishing.

Irbis
2011-02-09, 05:08 PM
You know, the thing I dislike the most in Hackmater is, they have Kingdoms of Kalamar setting, not the awesome one Boris Alphonzo (aka B.A.) uses.

Zach J.
2011-02-09, 05:09 PM
I do wish there was a write-up for Garweeze Wurld somewhere.

Greylond
2011-02-15, 07:56 PM

Incorrect. HackMaster 4th Edition is approx 1/3rd 1st Edition, 1/3rd 2nd Edition and 1/3rd stuff K&Co wrote...

Greylond
2011-02-15, 07:58 PM
You know, the thing I dislike the most in Hackmater is, they have Kingdoms of Kalamar setting, not the awesome one Boris Alphonzo (aka B.A.) uses.

I do wish there was a write-up for Garweeze Wurld somewhere.

You mean like this?
http://www.kenzerco.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_26&products_id=508