PDA

View Full Version : [3.0/3.5] Whats the good/neutral equalivent of Sacrificing?

Apophis775
2011-02-07, 04:05 PM
So, according to BOVD, evil characters can sacrifice for Dark XP and Dark gold, as well as various types of "buffs" from the gods.

What is the equalivent for good/neutral characters? As in, what could I do as a good/neutral god follower to get "dark xp/gold" so I can try and take away some of the impact from crafting?

Also, being able to do SOMETHING to make the gods happy and get an occasional buff wouldn't be bad either.

gbprime
2011-02-07, 04:10 PM
Conceptually, the good powers are big on the sacrifice being a personal one, rather than sacrificing others like the bad guys do.

Check out the Ancestral Relic feat from BoED. You sacrifice loot at 100% of market value to empower a personal magic item at no XP cost. You're just limited to a certain GP value by level.

Pika...
2011-02-07, 04:16 PM
Maybe work with your DM for good deeds/quests that you humbly take in the name of your patron? This can also help to give the DM hooks to use, or ways to lead the plot along I imagine. "Oh no, Bob needs to go help get loot to feed an orphanage again...".

Maybe you can go Morman or Jehova Witness and tally conversions? :smallbiggrin:

Apophis775
2011-02-07, 04:18 PM
Is there a non-feat way to do it?

I don't think sacrifice needs a feat for BoVD.

Apophis775
2011-02-07, 04:21 PM
Intresting Pika...
If i could get my DM to agree to give me some xp or gold that is only able to be used for crafting (like dark xp/gold), in exchange for converting people to my god, I might go non-lethal and convert survivors from encounters with our party...

Pika...
2011-02-07, 04:25 PM
Intresting Pika...
If i could get my DM to agree to give me some xp or gold that is only able to be used for crafting (like dark xp/gold), in exchange for converting people to my god, I might go non-lethal and convert survivors from encounters with our party...

Skill Focus: (Diplomacy), anyone? :smallbiggrin:

Also, several copies of holy texts for your deity (from the Arms & Equipment Guide) might be a good investment, as well as a sack of wooden holy symbols.

graeylin
2011-02-07, 04:42 PM
tithing
charitable donations

TroubleBrewing
2011-02-07, 05:30 PM
Yeah, the Good deities are big on personal sacrifice. Vows (BoED) being a big one. I imagine if you worked with your DM you could work out some rules for sacrificing to Good instead of Evil. Also, there's probably a Mongoose book out there with rules. (Broken, unusable rules, but rules nontheless. :smalltongue:)

Kansaschaser
2011-02-07, 05:44 PM
There is the spell called "Distilled Joy" in the Book of Exalted Deeds. It's only 2nd level and it creates Ambrosia.

Ambrosia can be used instead of experience when crafting magic items.

Starbuck_II
2011-02-07, 06:21 PM
There is the spell called "Distilled Joy" in the Book of Exalted Deeds. It's only 2nd level and it creates Ambrosia.

Ambrosia can be used instead of experience when crafting magic items.
It is 3rd level but same idea.
Really Exp? Wow, no duration, no limitation (but creature must be blissful).
Surprised no one has abused it.
Each casting = gives enough for 2 exp. So you'd need a lot of casting to achieve much.

Cerlis
2011-02-07, 06:37 PM
Sacrifice is sacrifice, nothing good or evil about it.

Sacrificing the goods, life, or values of someone else is Evil because you are destroying them for you/your profit/your values

Sacrificing the goods, life, or values of oneself is usually Good because you are destroying your own goods/life/values for someone else (or the betterment of yourself)

Sacrificing objects that are not valued or do not belong to someone is seen as Neutral. and are comonly refered to as "Making" "Baking" "harvesting" "working" "eating" "Building" and the like.
As in you take a tree no one cares about and turn it into a boat. That is a neutral sacrifice.

Now i'm not sure how dark Xp or gold works. but theoretically they already have what you are talking about. RP Xp. RP Gold. a few things like Exalted feats as well.

Essentially you help people out, they give you stuff as thanks. Perhaps you do a good deed and the DM rules that your weapon is magically enhanced while you pray to your god as a reward for you. You go beyond your calling to help someone and you get bonus XP, and RP XP if its very in character and makes the story more appealing.

-----------
Maybe you are looking for something more concrete, but thats just my two cents and i feel that what you are looking for is already in the game in some form or another without obscure articles.

Callista
2011-02-07, 07:41 PM
I would suggest Ambrosia.

You use the Distilled Joy spell around people who are very happy--try weddings, births, that kind of thing. Or just save a town or save a captive or whatever, and cast the spell at the resulting inevitable celebration.

Ambrosia is an item-creation component that can be substituted for XP. You have to collect quite a lot of it to really make a dent in your item-creation cost; but if you're a good-aligned character, that's no hardship--making people happy is something you want to do anyway.

Make casting the spell part of your routine, and you'll eventually accumulate enough to do a decent amount of crafting.

ETA: Whoops, I didn't see someone already had this... but I guess tips on when to use it are enough of a new thing not to delete the post. Meh...

Amnestic
2011-02-07, 07:53 PM
I would suggest Ambrosia.

You use the Distilled Joy spell around people who are very happy--try weddings, births, that kind of thing. Or just save a town or save a captive or whatever, and cast the spell at the resulting inevitable celebration.

Ambrosia is an item-creation component that can be substituted for XP. You have to collect quite a lot of it to really make a dent in your item-creation cost; but if you're a good-aligned character, that's no hardship--making people happy is something you want to do anyway.

Make casting the spell part of your routine, and you'll eventually accumulate enough to do a decent amount of crafting.

ETA: Whoops, I didn't see someone already had this... but I guess tips on when to use it are enough of a new thing not to delete the post. Meh...

So something I note about Distilled Joy is that its duration is Permanent. Does that mean that as long as you have sufficient vials on hand for collection, you could collect an infinite amount of Ambrosia from just one person as long as they stayed happy? :smallconfused:

Callista
2011-02-07, 07:55 PM
No, it means the Ambrosia doesn't wink out of existence at the end of a spell duration...

Urpriest
2011-02-07, 07:58 PM
The direct equivalent to the BoVD Sacrifice rules are the BoED Martyrdom rules. Note that BoVD Sacrifice rules aren't about making a generally sacrifice of goods as all sacrifices involved are living. Sacrificing goods would be covered under something else altogether.

Amnestic
2011-02-07, 08:01 PM
No, it means the Ambrosia doesn't wink out of existence at the end of a spell duration...

Would've thought that would've been kept separate, since Ambrosia is a product of the spell while Distilled Joy is the spell itself. *shrug* Not arguing, just think it could be worded better.

Apophis775
2011-02-08, 08:10 PM
What is RP gold and RP exp? Never head of that?

Dark gold/xp is gold/xp "granted" to your character through sacrificing by the gods. It cannot be used for anything except taking the place of gold or xp when crafting.

The problem, is that it can leave a "presence" both where the victims are sacrificed, but also on the item crafted with the xp or gold...

Sacrifice is sacrifice, nothing good or evil about it.

Sacrificing the goods, life, or values of someone else is Evil because you are destroying them for you/your profit/your values

Sacrificing the goods, life, or values of oneself is usually Good because you are destroying your own goods/life/values for someone else (or the betterment of yourself)

Sacrificing objects that are not valued or do not belong to someone is seen as Neutral. and are comonly refered to as "Making" "Baking" "harvesting" "working" "eating" "Building" and the like.
As in you take a tree no one cares about and turn it into a boat. That is a neutral sacrifice.

Now i'm not sure how dark Xp or gold works. but theoretically they already have what you are talking about. RP Xp. RP Gold. a few things like Exalted feats as well.

Essentially you help people out, they give you stuff as thanks. Perhaps you do a good deed and the DM rules that your weapon is magically enhanced while you pray to your god as a reward for you. You go beyond your calling to help someone and you get bonus XP, and RP XP if its very in character and makes the story more appealing.

-----------

Heliomance
2011-02-08, 08:26 PM
Nothing. There is no easy Good way to power. Evil is easy, if it wasn't, no-one would be evil. The only way to gain power while remaining good is to earn it, usually through hard grafts. Almost all the shortcuts you can take are evil in some way.

Apophis775
2011-02-08, 09:02 PM
Nothing. There is no easy Good way to power. Evil is easy, if it wasn't, no-one would be evil. The only way to gain power while remaining good is to earn it, usually through hard grafts. Almost all the shortcuts you can take are evil in some way.

So... If you wanna craft, evil is the way to go? And just deal with the taint all over the place?

Cause I'm not looking for handouts from the gods, just a way to "pad" the loss of xp/gold like evil can do when they sacrifice?