PDA

View Full Version : Living a long time

No brains
2011-02-07, 06:51 PM
I have an idea for a character who would 'naturally' live for an unintuitively long time, and I need classes, feats, spells and what have you in order to make it happen. I already know undead 'live' forever, but that's not what I am going for. What I am going for is still being mortal, but hideously cheating death.

Don't feel shy about anything; this is supposed to look awkward, desparate, and cheesy. Anything from Dungeon or Dragon (mags) or any WotC book can go. No homebrew or 3rd party. 3.5 D&D. Also, automatically assume the higest possible roll on natural life limits.

Here's what I'm using already:
1 Be a human. 2 Somehow get timeless body. 3 Become an elan (XPH). 4 Become a dragonborn. 5 Become a Mindflayer Ultharid (LoM also there's something in some adventure that gives a 40% to 'survive' becoming a mindflayer)

I think there are some elf and dragon related PrCs that boost lifespan, but I need their sources. And of course, spam-take epic feat Extremely Long Lived (EpicLevelHandbook).

Have fun!

Callista
2011-02-07, 07:57 PM
I don't think it's cheesy, actually.

Personally, as a DM I'd allow it as part of your background story. Giving someone a very long lifespan is not at all unbalanced, since natural death is hardly a threat to adventurers.

Analytica
2011-02-07, 09:06 PM
Ruathar in Races of the Wild gives +50% lifespan.
Dragon Prophet from some Eberron book gives 10x lifespan.
Steal Life from Book of Vile Darkness is an 8th level spell that makes you younger if you ability drain someone under a full moon.
Incantifier from Dragon Magazine ceases to age.
Reincarnate gives you a new young adult body each time, you can emulate it via Limited Wish and put it into a contingency.
Living Zombies from Champions of Ruin are undead which halves your aging rate once per LZ you control.
There is also an epic spell in... Lost Empires of Faerun, I think, Ioulaum's Longevity.

Would Stasis Clone from Lords of Darkness work? You make one, put it onto a timeless plane (assuming it does not just stay in stasis, as the name would imply). When you get too old, you kill yourself and wake in the clone, make a new one, and then repeat the process.

Amphetryon
2011-02-07, 09:24 PM
Cloud Anchorite grants immunity to aging as a capstone.

Have a handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0).

Urpriest
2011-02-07, 09:28 PM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0

An entire handbook devoted to this concept. Have fun!

Edit: Ninja'd

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-02-07, 10:29 PM
There is also the Dragon Island affiliation from PHBII (doubles to quadruples your lifespan) and the wedded to History + Pawn in the Great Game (make a fort save when you die to come back to life) feat combination from Dragon Magazine...issue....300 and something. Could someone give the actual issue, I don't have it here with me.

The Big Dice
2011-02-07, 10:37 PM
Immortality is such a small deal in terms of th lifespan of a campaign that Mutants and Masterminds costs it as a 1 point Immunity to Aging.

Because if the game is set up in such a way that a naturally long lifespan matters, everyone will have it. And if not, it's not really that big of a deal outside of character story and concept. In play it will make almost no difference.

Chilingsworth
2011-02-07, 10:47 PM
Immortality is such a small deal in terms of th lifespan of a campaign that Mutants and Masterminds costs it as a 1 point Immunity to Aging.

Because if the game is set up in such a way that a naturally long lifespan matters, everyone will have it. And if not, it's not really that big of a deal outside of character story and concept. In play it will make almost no difference.

I can think of one way to make agelessness useful:
This will all have to be done at/during character creation.

Step one: Get one of those features that prevent aging penalities but not bonuses.
Step two: Get true imortality.
Step three: continue getting caster levels and enjoy your free +3 to your casting stat that stacks with all other kinds of bonuses.

This set-up would probably work best for druids.

Mastikator
2011-02-07, 10:49 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindSwitchTrue.htm

High level telepaths can live forever by taking on new bodies.

arguskos
2011-02-07, 11:09 PM
There's a feat in Dragon Magazine called Wedded to History (IIRC) that permits you to take one of the Ancient Backgrounds from that issue (Dragon #354), one of which is "Immortal" and does what it says. Bam, one feat and any character is immortal. :smallcool:

ToySoldierCPlus
2011-02-08, 12:24 AM
You can stop at, "Be an elan." They're immortal by default. The maximum age printed in the book was a typo according to errata; elans have no maximum age.