PDA

View Full Version : Invocation-using classes [3.5]

LOTRfan
2011-02-07, 08:19 PM
Hello, just a question: how many classes (both base and prestige) are there that either stacks with or has invocation progressions?

As far as I am aware of, there are Dragonfire Adepts, Warlocks, and Hellfire Warlocks. If anyone can also provide a source, I'd be thankful. :smallsmile:

Psyren
2011-02-07, 08:32 PM
Well, Hellfire Warlocks are a PrC, so they themselves are advancing the base Warlock.

Anyway - any PrC with "+1 existing spellcasting class" or "+1 existing arcane spellcasting class" will advance invocation-using classes just fine. The trouble in most cases is qualifying for them.

By themselves, Warlocks and DFAs can qualify for PrCs that only have a "Caster Level X" or "Arcane Caster Level X" requirement. They can also qualify for PrCs that have "able to cast [spell]" requirement, provided one of their invocations can mimic that spell. Finally, they can qualify for PrCs that say "able to cast [invocation(s)]." That's the rundown I believe.

LOTRfan
2011-02-07, 08:34 PM
Alright, thanks. Are there any other base classes, or are those it?

Nate the Snake
2011-02-07, 08:34 PM
Any prestige class that advances arcane spellcasting can be used to advance invocation progressions, but only a few advance invocations specifically. The ones that do are meant for warlocks; dragonfire adepts don't really have any prestige options.

Complete Mage
-Eldritch disciple (warlock/cleric)
-Eldritch theurge (warlock/arcanist)
-Enlightened spirit (advances eldritch blast and grants specific invocations)

Fiendish Codex II
-Hellfire warlock (infernal blasty-ness)

Drow of the Underdark/Online (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070430a&page=3)
-Demonbinder (channel demons to gain demonic traits)

EDIT: Ninja'd because I check my work.

Psyren
2011-02-07, 08:35 PM
Alright, thanks. Are there any other base classes, or are those it?

"Invocation-using" - yeah, those are it.

"Toolbox of at-will magic-y stuff" - you can include Binders, Truenamers, Incarnum, a few others.

Dead_Jester
2011-02-07, 09:18 PM
"Toolbox of at-will magic-y stuff" - you can include Binders, Truenamers, Incarnum, a few others.

Well, Trunamers would qualify if they weren't completely and irrevocably broken...

If your group is ok with that, you might want to check the homebrew boards, as there is a lot of quality invocation-using/at-will magic stuff there.