PDA

View Full Version : Help me finish my build?

Talbot
2011-02-07, 09:19 PM
Ok, so I've got this character I'm working on, but I don't know what to do with his last 3-5 levels or so. But I don't want him casting. His current (very rough) build:

Unarmed Swordsage 2/Sentinel (NG Paladin) 2/Human Paragon 3 (advancing Swordsage)/Shiba Protector 1/Dragon Warrior 10/?2

His basic identity is a martial artist with (resolved over the course of the build) anger issues and distaste for Undead. Basically, when his city is overrun by a bunch of LE Undead, he retreats into the mountains to study under a legendary martial artist (Swordsage). He returns to town as a traditional hero type trying to save his hometown from Undead (Sentinel/Paragon/Shiba), gets increasingly frustrated/angry to the point it becomes a detriment, then goes off to travel the world and get it under control (Dragon Warrior).

I'm not married to the Human Paragon Levels at all and with a good enough idea I wouldn't really mind giving up the last three levels of Dragon Warrior. I want to maintain his Wisdom SAD (as currently constructed, with one feat (Serenity) he gets Wis to Hit, damage (x2 with one discipline's strikes), ACx2, all his saves, and HP for every Dragon Warrior level), I don't want him casting, and any classes he takes have to be accessible for an NG character, but other than that I'm pretty open minded. He's already taking 4-5 classes (depending on if I keep the Paragon levels), so I'd prefer suggestions that only add a class or so to the mix.

As thematically appropriate as it is, please no Barbarian as its primary class feature (rage) doesn't stack with the very similar class feature of Dragon Warrior (which is the core of the build), and it also kinda clashes with his background as a city dweller.

Bonus points for stuff that makes him better at fighting Undead, or anything that gets him Evasion or Mettle.

Elric VIII
2011-02-07, 09:55 PM
I would run the 2x Wis to AC by your DM, since that usually doesn't stack.

There is a PrC in Comp Warrior called Hunter of the Dead, although it does have spellcasting you might be able to trade that away similar to the spell-less Paladin variant. I meantion this because it gives a Wis bonus on saves vs undead and Smite Undead.

You may want to look at the variant Paladin also in CW that gains special abilities instead of spells. At level 6 your weapon is permanently good-aligned, so 4 more levels of Sentinel might work.

In Unearthed Arcana you can select a Paladin ACF that grants Favored Enemy instead of Lay on Hands, Turn Undead, and Remove disease (I don't recommend this since you can't use divine feats if you take it).

Talbot
2011-02-07, 10:01 PM
I would run the 2x Wis to AC by your DM, since that usually doesn't stack.

There is a PrC in Comp Warrior called Hunter of the Dead, although it does have spellcasting you might be able to trade that away similar to the spell-less Paladin variant. I meantion this because it gives a Wis bonus on saves vs undead and Smite Undead.

You may want to look at the variant Paladin also in CW that gains special abilities instead of spells. At level 6 your weapon is permanently good-aligned, so 4 more levels of Sentinel might work.

In Unearthed Arcana you can select a Paladin ACF that grants Favored Enemy instead of Lay on Hands, Turn Undead, and Remove disease (I don't recommend this since you can't use divine feats if you take it).

The AC should stack since it's untyped from Swordsage and Deflection from Dragon Warrior, I think.

That Paladin variant sounds like exactly like what I want. I'll go check it out.

Dead_Jester
2011-02-07, 10:04 PM
Continuing swordsage could be a good idea, and so could taking a bit of cleric levels (5 is good for buffs, but the good stuff really starts at 7 levels). If you can somehow manage it (concerned about the fluff here), RKV, even for a few levels, is golden.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-07, 10:14 PM
Grab more Swordsage levels, if you put it in those last two levels you should be able to get Shadow Blink at 20th. I'd even drop the Human Paragon levels and put more Swordsage there, too.

true_shinken
2011-02-07, 10:20 PM
If you're into Wisdom synergy, check Red Avenger from Sword & Fist. It's Wis to mostly anything you don't have already.

Talbot
2011-02-07, 10:21 PM
Grab more Swordsage levels, if you put it in those last two levels you should be able to get Shadow Blink at 20th. I'd even drop the Human Paragon levels and put more Swordsage there, too.

Hmm... but doesn't Human Paragon basically give you more IL? You lose 1 level of Swordsage, but gain an extra 1.5 IL as it's a non-Initiator class (3.5 IL over 3 levels). I probably should make sure to grab an even number of SS levels to get the most out of that, but if I do it right it only helps, unless it keeps me away from Evasion (which I'd have to gut the build to get anyways) or something.