PDA

View Full Version : An odd build that I need a bit of aid with

Vexao
2011-02-08, 12:52 AM
Ok, I have decided to pull an interesting one that I am having trouble with. A CG Paladin of Freedom/Warlock gestalt that is focused on melee. Any advice on what feats/invocations/PrCs I should take would be GREATLY appreciated!

Lord.Sorasen
2011-02-08, 01:38 AM
Can I ask why Warlock? Warlock is, at least fluff-wise, not at all like a paladin (even a chaotic paladin). Fiendish resilience, Hellrime blast, etc etc, are very.. not paladin code like.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-08, 01:40 AM
Hellbred from FCII would be a fun race to use. I'd go with the Cha bonus version, which can take Mindsight (LoM) at level 15.

You'll probably want to use the Eldritch Glaive invocation from Dragon Magic, it turns your Eldritch Blast into a melee weapon. It delivers melee touch attacks bypassing opponents' armor, shield, and natural armor bonuses, so using it two-handed with Power Attack will put out considerable damage without missing too often.

Check out the Enlightened Spirit prestige class in Complete Mage. You can take it along side Warlock with a gestalt character and its benefits should stack with everything Warlock grants, including the increased Eldritch Blast damage. Warlock levels advance the entire EB class feature, including both damage and caster level, Enlightened Spirit simply grants a bonus to the damage it deals without increasing caster level or your effective Warlock level for its progression, thus they can be considered separate and can progress simultaneously on a gestalt character.

Consider using the Harmonious Knight (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) substitution levels for Paladin, to get Inspire Courage instead of Detect Evil. Get a Badge of Valor from Magic Item Compendium and you can grant yourself and your allies a +2 bonus on attack and damage rolls. If you use this, you should also consider the War Chanter prestige class in Complete Warrior.

I'd go Warlock 20// Harmonious Paladin of Freedom 5/ Enlightened Spirit 10/ War Chanter 5. At Enlightened Spirit 5 you get a greater blast shape invocation, which means your Warlock 10 invocation gained can also be greater. For your least invocations I'd get Eldritch Glaive, See the Unseen, and Darkness (you'll be able to see through it at 12 as a Hellbred). Lesser should be Flee the Scene and Beshadowed Blast, so every time you hit your target will have to save or be blinded. Greater invocations I'd pick would be Chilling Tentacles, Noxious Blast, Vitriolic Blast, and Enervating Shadow, along with Eldritch Cone. Your Dark invocations should probably be chosen based on what epic feats (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20061027a) you want to eventually qualify for.

Get Weapon Focus: Melee Touch Spell, which applies to your Eldritch Glaive attacks. Ability Focus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#abilityFocus): Eldritch Blast will apply a +2 DC to any Eldritch Essence you use (verified by the official FAQ). Get max ranks in Use Magic Device and try to get an Eternal Wand (MIC) of Hound of Doom (CW), it's one of the most useful summons (and one of the coolest pets) in the game.

Vexao
2011-02-08, 01:43 AM
Its a slightly reworked warlock, instead of a pact with a fiend, it was a pact with a good deity. All that really got changed was all the names of things got switched from evil things to not so evil things, as well as corresponding fluff as needed. My GM allowed it because he also thought that it was an interesting character concept.

Waker
2011-02-08, 01:44 AM
Fluff wise you could also say that a Paladin/Warlock could serve as a champion to the Seelie Court or one of the nature deities like Elhonna.

RndmNumGen
2011-02-08, 01:52 AM
Fluff wise you could also say that a Paladin/Warlock could serve as a champion to the Seelie Court or one of the nature deities like Elhonna.

I like this idea. A Paladin of Freedom that made a pact with a Fae Lord? More interesting than simply making a pact with a good deity, opens up a lot of adventure hooks and has some cool roleplay possibilities as well.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-08, 01:52 AM
Or you could just say that he's fighting fire with fire.

Also take a look at the feats Fey or Fiendish Legacy and Fey or Fiendish Power in Complete Mage, and Fey Skin is also pretty good.

Vexao
2011-02-08, 09:44 PM
Hellbred works great for this, I had completely forgot that it existed as well as the enlightened spirit class as far as getting Warlock to mesh better with his background.