PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Immunity [3.5]

TroubleBrewing
2011-02-08, 12:59 AM
Any monsters in 3.5 that have immunity to sonic/stunning? My google-fu has failed me.

Andion Isurand
2011-02-08, 01:06 AM
Slaads do.

vikingofdoom
2011-02-08, 01:06 AM
Destran (sp. most likely): A large, blind dinosaur-like thing that shoots sonic out of its mouth to attack. Will post more when I have the book

faceroll
2011-02-08, 01:07 AM
Constructs, Elementals, Plants, and Undead are immune to stunning.

Zaydos
2011-02-08, 01:09 AM
Slaads are immune to sonic, and stunning immunity comes cheap. If you want both on one creature I'll need to check (or just suggest half-elemental slaad)

May I ask why you wanted to know?

Worlok
2011-02-08, 01:14 AM
Play a deaf character - we can probably assume that someone who can't hear will also be unaffected by something as explicitly sound-based as sonic damage. On stuns, I think going undead is your best bet.

Zaydos
2011-02-08, 01:17 AM
Play a deaf character - we can probably assume that someone who can't hear will also be unaffected by something as explicitly sound-based as sonic damage. On stuns, I think going undead is your best bet.

Actually there are plenty of ways to do sonic damage that affect deaf creatures. Seeing as how sonic damage is actually specialized in breaking objects we're talking sonic vibrations not just loud noises.

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-08, 01:19 AM

Sonic damage is more about devastating vibrations and such. Thus why many crystalline creatures have a vulnerability to it. Deafness won't protect you unless the attack in question explicitly calls it out.

Deafness will likely protect you from many non-damaging sonic abilities, as well as all language dependent effects, but it is not blanket immunity to sonic damage or the sonic descriptor.

Alleine
2011-02-08, 01:48 AM
Destran (sp. most likely): A large, blind dinosaur-like thing that shoots sonic out of its mouth to attack. Will post more when I have the book

The Destrachan (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/destrachan.htm) which, despite conventional DnD logic, is in no way immune to sonic at all. It gets a +4 bonus to saves vs sonic attacks. I must say I was quite confused by this when I read the entry in depth.

Mystic Muse
2011-02-08, 02:00 AM
No, I do not believe there are any monsters in 3.5 that are immune to incredibly fast, blue, anthropomorphic hedgehogs. Although, if there are, I'm sure Dr. Robotnik would be glad to know. :smallbiggrin:

More seriously, why do you need something that's immune to sonic damage?

Killer Angel
2011-02-08, 03:04 AM

Maybe a caster took energy substitution, and it's giving some problem?

Gadora
2011-02-08, 03:12 AM
Valkyries from Tome of Battle have immunity to cold, electricity, fear, and sonic. They're fun.

Zaydos
2011-02-08, 03:16 AM
Maybe a caster took energy substitution, and it's giving some problem?

And that's why you don't allow 3.0 versions of feats that have been updated (note how in 3.5 it lists four energy types with the deliberate exclusion of sonic). Even then the real question is why sonic AND stunning? I know of sonic spells that do both (sound burst) but they tend not to be too much of a problem.

Killer Angel
2011-02-08, 03:41 AM
And that's why you don't allow 3.0 versions of feats that have been updated (note how in 3.5 it lists four energy types with the deliberate exclusion of sonic).

Ah, clearly my memory failed me. I stand corrected.

LansXero
2011-02-08, 03:41 AM
there was some PRC iirc that made every spell cast deal an extra little of sonic damage and stun for a round. Storm something I think

TurtleKing
2011-02-08, 05:04 AM
Could also be he wants to build a character that little to no creatures are resistant or even immune to energy damage. Sonic damage and force damage are the two that creatures are least likely to resistant to.

As for Sonic Immunity a Pathfinder Bard gets Well Versed at 2nd level which grants a +4 to among others sonic effects in general.

Combat Reflexes
2011-02-08, 05:32 AM
Actually there are plenty of ways to do sonic damage that affect deaf creatures. Seeing as how sonic damage is actually specialized in breaking objects we're talking sonic vibrations not just loud noises.

But if sonic damage was all about vibrations, wouldn't explosives also be dealing sonic (shockwave) damage?

Worlok
2011-02-08, 06:23 AM
Well, if deafness isn't that much of a hit (which, admittedly, was a rather smart-alecky idea, firmly rooted in the "perhaps his DM doesn't know that?" school of thought), try incorporeality. And deafness. That way, neither shockwaves nor particularly hideous noises can affect you much. Be a ghost, that nets you stun immunity as well.

TroubleBrewing
2011-02-08, 07:08 AM
Short answer: I need it.

Long answer: Spoilered for those who hate blocks of text.

I recently picked up the Mongoose book "Crossbreeding: Flesh and Blood", so obviously the first thing I did was spend about three days without sleep devouring my way through all of the D&D books I own that could possibly make for fun/broken/brokenly fun/funnily broken things I could slap together with the power of magic. One of the things my DM asked me to make for him was a handful of monsters that could be used as a seige team. I made a foot soldier that utilizes (among other things) the Sand Hunter creature out of Sandstorm (page 183). It has an ability where the DC is determined by the number of creatures in the pack (basically, the number of them within 30 feet of each other; if you have them stand in a rank and file of 7x7, you get maximum efficiency), as well as their combined charisma modifier. (Yeah. I know.) They've only got Cha 12 (Didn't want to go TOO crazy with it...) so in this 7x7 formation, you get a total DC of 83. It affects anyone who is within 60 feet one of the creatures, and it's a will save. They're medium sized, so I decided to make something tiny sized that could stand amongst the ranks and cast dispel magic at will; so I combined Formian Workers (8 of them can cast cure serious wounds) with Myconids (mushroom people with the plant subtype- immune to stunning! Thank you faceroll for pointing out what my brain failed to do: realize that plants, undead, constructs and oozes are immune to stunning. I'm a moron.) with Avoral (the bird-like Guardinal that can cast dispel magic at will, CL 10). I shrank them down to Tiny size, and voila! A group of soldiers that will pretty much ruin the day of any city.

Darrin
2011-02-08, 07:31 AM
Knell Beetles are immune to sonic. Not only are they immune, but they convert sonic damage into healing, and they have a sonic area-effect they can use to heal other knell beetles. Add some druids with Child of Winter or Vermin Trainer, and they'd make excellent mounts for some "shock" troops.

DarkEternal
2011-02-08, 09:50 AM
And that's why you don't allow 3.0 versions of feats that have been updated (note how in 3.5 it lists four energy types with the deliberate exclusion of sonic). Even then the real question is why sonic AND stunning? I know of sonic spells that do both (sound burst) but they tend not to be too much of a problem.

It's 3.0? I'm pretty sure I read in 3.5 that Energy substitution includes Sonic as well.

poignant123
2011-02-08, 09:59 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/silence.htm

nedz
2011-02-08, 10:07 AM
there was some PRC iirc that made every spell cast deal an extra little of sonic damage and stun for a round. Storm something I think

You may be thinking of Stormlord from CDiv, but its on melle attacks. Level 5 class ability makes Javellins and Spears into thundering weapons.

Chess435
2011-02-08, 10:56 AM
No, I do not believe there are any monsters in 3.5 that are immune to incredibly fast, blue, anthropomorphic hedgehogs. Although, if there are, I'm sure Dr. Robotnik would be glad to know. :smallbiggrin:

May I sig this?

Psyren
2011-02-08, 11:17 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/silence.htm

This. It's a level 2 spell that can stop everything from Holy Word to Wail of the Banshee.

subject42
2011-02-08, 11:27 AM
I forget what they're called, but I think that petitioners of Kord have either Sonic Immunity or sky-high sonic resistance.

Since they're basically Einharjr, I guess they train for it by yelling a lot.

the clumsy bard
2011-02-08, 11:34 AM
half dragon template from the srd with the appropriate ancestor dragon can give you sonic immunity.

Tokuhara
2011-02-08, 01:15 PM
In the adaptation sidebar of Elemental Savant, you can modify it so you can focus on Sonic (Since Energy Substitution: Sonic is a feat), and thus gain Immunity to it. Not a spectacular PrC, but could do some serious damage

TurtleKing
2011-02-08, 01:42 PM
Golem are immune to most magic due to their Immunity to Magic. Only certain kinds of magic will work on them, and some energy types will even heal certain types of golems. Since they have construct traits they are also immune to stunning.

Edit: I just found a creature immune to sonic. The Howling Dragon native to Pandemonium. The Howling Dragon can be found in Draconomicon.

Mystic Muse
2011-02-08, 04:21 PM
May I sig this?

Of course!:smallbiggrin: