PDA

View Full Version : Magical Researcher (3.5, advice wanted)

Zaydos
2011-02-08, 04:32 AM
I wanted to make an NPC class for scholars of magic/magical researchers. A kind of non-combat mage in some ways similar to magewrights from Eberron but where magewrights (is that two words?) are everyman/working mages I wanted to make the people who specialize in researching/teaching magic. So I was wondering 1) if this has already been done (preferably well) and if so where I could find it; and 2) if anyone here had any advice on building one?

I was thinking about worse than 1/2 levels BAB (either a flat 0 or something like 1/3 or 1/4), 4 + Int skill points, bard-like casting for Divinations, and limited buffs/debuffs/bc as well as even worse casting for direct attack spells (including save or sucks, and charm style effects if they get any), bonuses to certain skills, etc. Kind of a non-adventuring wizard.

I'll hopefully begin really building the class and posting its table tomorrow but I'm going to bed in ~5 minutes so I don't have time tonight.

If anyone has advice, though, please feel free to pitch in.

Zaydos
2011-02-08, 04:33 AM
Reserved for class table, abilities, and actual features.

Milo v3
2011-02-11, 04:33 PM
I'd be happy to help.
IMHO out of its 3 abyssmal stats the Highest (And I use that word lightly) should be will as they has would probably be oftern pranked by students (which would commonly be done with illusions).

I agree with your ideas on Spell casting. But I think that only buffs that the "Magical Researcher" would know should Buff wisdom, Intellegence, or skills derived from those two abilities.