PDA

View Full Version : Is there a "Swashbuckler" class in D&D?

H Birchgrove
2011-02-08, 07:26 AM
I vaguely re-call reading it somewhere, but I've forgotten where. If there is no such class, what would your recommended multi-classing be?

Thanks in advance.

TroubleBrewing
2011-02-08, 07:30 AM
It's out of Complete Adventurer, but be warned: it's not a great class. YMMV.

Eldan
2011-02-08, 07:30 AM
There is, in Complete Warrior.

Be warned, however: while the first three levels of the class are interesting and flavourful, after that, you don't get anything really worthwhile. The common advice is dipping in, and then taking something else. Rogue, perhaps (there's a good feat for that).

Eldariel
2011-02-08, 07:31 AM
I vaguely re-call reading it somewhere, but I've forgotten where. If there is no such class, what would your recommended multi-classing be?

Thanks in advance.

There's such a class but it's a rather mediocre Swashbuckler. It can be found in Complete Warrior. Generally Rogue does a fine job as a Swashbuckler (and Rogue/Swashbuckler multiclass is supported with "Daring Outlaw"-feat; however, both classes generally lend themselves to two-weapon fighting than actual swashbucklery, which is a pity; Duelist from DMG is the same story as the +2d6 damage over 10 levels just isn't much) but if you truly want a swashbucklery feel I suggest Swordsage from Tome of Battle.

Swordsage is a class that can pick up a rapier and do the most amazing shows of skill (all kinds of jumps and fluent movement in combat complete with parries and setup attacks; "feints", and so on) while still being able to deal decent damage compared to two-handers and two-weapon fighters of equivalent level.

Flickerdart
2011-02-08, 07:32 AM
Swashbuckler is a great 3-level dip (INT to damage, Weapon Finesse, full BAB and some other goodies) on the way to a real class.

Eldan
2011-02-08, 07:32 AM
Well, dagger/rapier style isn't too far from classical swashbucklery. Alternatively, do rapier/buckler and shield-bash with your TWF (if that's allowed, I don't remember). Both are classical fencing styles.

cheezewizz2000
2011-02-08, 07:34 AM
Classic multiclassing is Swashbuckler3/Rogue3/Swashbuckler X. Take Daring Outlaw at level 6 (SB3/R3) then your SB levels will count towards gaining sneak attack and suddenly you have a character that at level 20 has +17 BAB and 10d6 sneak attack. Throw a couple of levels of Swordsage in there at some point to gain some maneuvres like the shadow hand stance that grants you +2d6 sneak attack. Damned if I can remember its name though.

Or have I confused swashbuckler with something else?

Edit: Dang, swordsaged

H Birchgrove
2011-02-08, 07:48 AM
Thanks (again) guys, much appreciated. :smallsmile:

Is the moral alignment Lawful or Chaotic Good? (If they're gentleman thieves or pirates I'd assume they're Chaotic, but the versions in literature and films tend to be idealists with B/W morality... Then again, after reading OoTS, I now know "Chaotic" doesn't necessarily mean "anti-hero and/or violent vigilante" as I once thought.)
:elan: :belkar:

Vistella
2011-02-08, 07:54 AM
neither, swashbucklers can be any aligment

H Birchgrove
2011-02-08, 08:19 AM
neither, swashbucklers can be any aligment

I see, thanks!

Greenish
2011-02-08, 08:32 AM
Complete Warrior Swashbucklers don't have proficiency with bucklers. :smallannoyed:

Not that it matters with a masterwork one, but still…

Amphetryon
2011-02-08, 08:35 AM
Swashbuckler, theoretically, makes a good lead-in to the Duelist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/duelist.htm) PrC. I'll let you decide if that's worthwhile, based on your group's preferred playstyle and relative power level.

TroubleBrewing
2011-02-08, 08:41 AM
Duelist is never worthwhile. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2011-02-08, 08:45 AM
Why not? It adds it's intelligence bonus to AC! Just compare that to a straight fighter, it's an entirely new, and basically free, option that gives a significant AC bonus. And then, you deal additional damage. That's very valuable. After all, the fighter only has weapon specialization and power attack, and with your base attack bonus, you can power attack just as well. Finally, you gain the equivalent of two feats for free!

While this post is not entirely serious, "worthwhile" is a matter of perspective and depends very much on a group's playstyle.

FMArthur
2011-02-08, 08:45 AM
I don't even think Swashbuckler is a good 3-level dip for Int-SAD warriors. Factotums, Duskblades and Warblades all benefit from 3 more levels in their own class than donating 3 levels for 4-6 points of extra attack damage. I'd also prefer levels in those over Swash levels for Wizard gishes. Maybe if I was going to be a Sneak Attack Fighter anyway I would transfer over to Swash after 3 levels to do it with Daring Outlaw for a less barren full-BAB Sneak Attack build... but I'd only put it on an NPC since it's not incredibly interesting.

The Scarlet Corsair prestige class in Stormwrack is more truly a good seafaring warrior, getting free action feints, Sneak Attack advancement, 30ft AOE demoralization on Intimidate (screw you Samurai, I never liked taking 10 levels of you anyway!), and eventually the ability to sacrifice 2d6 Sneak Attack damage to render foes shaken on any Sneak Attack. You don't even have to be a real pirate (although you do need a reputation as one somewhere) as all your abilities except a +2 AC function perfectly fine in landborne adventures.

Greenish
2011-02-08, 08:52 AM
I don't even think Swashbuckler is a good 3-level dip for Int-SAD warriors.Well, depending on sources, it can be a part of a decent Iaijutsu Master entry.

Of course, that's not SAD, what with Str to damage, Cha to Iaijutsu & Initiative, Dex to attack and AC, Int to damage and AC, Con for hp…

FMArthur
2011-02-08, 09:02 AM
Well, depending on sources, it can be a part of a decent Iaijutsu Master entry.

Of course, that's not SAD, what with Str to damage, Cha to Iaijutsu & Initiative, Dex to attack and AC, Int to damage and AC, Con for hp…

I'd take Factotum, Warblade and Marshal levels over Swashbuckler levels any day on my path to entering Iaijutsu Master.

Greenish
2011-02-08, 09:08 AM
I'd take Factotum, Warblade and Marshal levels over Swashbuckler levels any day on my path to entering Iaijutsu Master.Hence the "depending on sources" qualifier. :smallamused: