PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Word Burning and level 0 spells

Lej
2011-02-08, 11:18 AM
Got interested in trying out a wordcaster from the Pathfinder playtest.

Now I got a question about how the feat Word Burning interacts with level 0 spells (cantrips).

A level 2 spell slot is expended through the Word Burning feat.
The wizard prepares an improved level 0 spell with the points granted from Word Burning.
Since level 0 spells are not expended when cast he can cast it as much as he want?

What happens if the wizard is a sorcerer instead?

Word Burning

You can consume one of your available spell slots each day to gain a limited pool of points that you can apply to other word of power spells.

Prerequisites: Caster level 5th, the ability to cast words of power spells.

Benefit: Each day, when you prepare your words of power spells or regain your spell slots, you can choose to expend any one spell slot you possess. You gain a number of points from that slot equal to its total word cost (see Table 1–1). You can apply the points from that spell slot to any other spell that you prepare or cast that day, increasing the total word cost limit. You can split these points up among any number of other spell slots, but none of the spell slots can have a level equal to or higher than the expended spell slot. This does not increase the maximum word level of these slots, but it does allow more expensive words to be combined in lower-level spell slots.

Cantrips: Wizards can prepare a number of cantrips, or
0-level spells, each day, as noted on Table 3–16 under “Spells per Day.” These spells are cast like any other spell, but they are not expended when cast and may be used again. A wizard can prepare a cantrip from a prohibited school, but it uses up two of his available slots (see below).

Cantrips: Sorcerers learn a number of cantrips, or 0-level spells, as noted on Table 3–15 under “Spells Known.” These spells are cast like any other spell, but they do not consume any slots and may be used again.

Human Paragon 3
2011-02-08, 11:27 AM
I would say you can't do it. For a sorcerer, 0 level spells are not prepared and do not take up a spell slot. The text of the ability says you can sacrifice a spell slot.

Lej
2011-02-08, 11:50 AM
I'm inclined to agree for the sorcerer. Since the points are spent on a spell not a spell slot.

However for the wizard I'm not so sure. He prepares the improved spell in a specific spell slot. When he casts that spell the cantrip rules specifically states that "they are not expended when cast and may be used again". Since it is not expended the improved spell must still be in that spell slot and hence usable again?

Curious
2011-02-08, 11:54 AM
By RAW, it sounds like it would work, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were errated in one of two ways; either the enhanced spell is expended, even if the cantrip is not, or word burning just doesn't apply to cantrips. Until such official methods are enacted, however, I would say you can do whatever the heck you want with the poor, unsuspecting world.