PDA

View Full Version : The Treasure of Khan Lo [spirit of the Century]

TheThan
2011-02-08, 01:10 PM
Opening:
You find yourself on the island of Burga-Durga, deep in the heart of the south pacific. You’ve been waylaid by the tropical storm, and are currently waiting it out in the Bazonga Bar. It’s evening and dark outside, heavy rain and thunderclaps blank out any noise that one might make outside. The darkness and obscuring rain is only penetrated by the occasional flash of lightening.

Fortunately, you’re safe from the elements inside the sturdily built Bazonga bar. The bar was once owned by chief Bazonga, the now disposed ruler of the island. Now however, the bar is owned by Anita Gazabo, a Spanish woman that was stranded here ten years ago when her husband ran off with a native.

Scene one:
You are all gathered in the main room of the bazonga bar. The bar itself is made out of local wood and has ornately carved statuettes set into its legs at each interval. Behind it sits a fancy mirror with a lot of expensive bottles of booze set in shelves. The room is fairly large. The entrance is a set of saloon style double doors, immediately to the right of the door are stairs leading to the second level, which are mostly rooms for rent. The room is furnished with a piano opposite the bar, against the wall, several round tables and chairs made out of wicker. At the far end of the bar there is a set of double doors that leads to the kitchen, and further on opposite the entrance, there is a sliding door and a private room, for rent.

The bar has herded in more people than usual this evening. Most of which are not the regular crowd. Most of them are people heading home, or heading away from home. Anita Gazabo, situated behind the bar, is glad for the extra cash and shows it. Aside from the general noise of conversations, someone is banging away a lively tune on the piano and there is a group of people in the corner singing away.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Aspects:
Noisy, cluttered, crowded, whisky!

__________________________________________________ _______________

The players:
Jonnyturbo as Dr. Mason Phoenix

Dr. Mason Phoenix

Background
Young master Phoenix’s father was a great chemist at Harvard University. Mason grew up surrounded by the greatest scientific minds of his time. He grew up fast and hard on the mean streets of academia. He received a high school degree at 9 and received a PhD in biochemistry at 16. He started his own pharmaceutical company (Phoenix Corp.) at 18. He made his fortune in simple remedy pills; gas relief, pain relief and the like.

Mason fell in love with Nan, another scientist under his employ, and they were quickly married. Nan was involved in an unfortunate accident that left her in a coma. Mason was devastated. He worked for months straight with no sleep to come up with something to help Nan. Eventually, he invented a pill that gave him a telepathic link to Nan. This pill had a short duration and Mason became addicted to this pill.

After Nan’s death Mason replaced his telepathy pill addiction with other pills that he created. He traveled the world to study medicine men and shamans from around the world. He soon discovered that almost anything is possible with the right combination of ingredients, science and sometimes a little magic.

Aspects: Lonely junkie, “A pill for every occasion!”

The War
Dr. Phoenix was recruited by the U.S. military to participate with some of the greatest scientific minds in Project Upstart, a super-soldier program. He created pills that gave soldiers limited boosts of strength, agility or mental endurance. He made pills that allowed the soldiers limited telepathy, night-vision or heightened sense of hearing. He worked with Dr. Percy Thunders (weapons) and Dr. Terrance Blackboot (body armor). This was the most exciting time of Mason’s life. He was devoted to science 24 hours a day. Percy and Terrance were the most amazing minds he has ever known. They worked tirelessly with the 20 soldier squad that was sent on the most dangerous small team missions. Near the end of the war, in a gross miscalculation by a drug addled Dr. Phoenix, 15 of the soldiers died do to an overdose. His scientific family was broken up and Project Upstart was disbanded. Dr. Thunders was irate and swore revenge on Mason, while Dr. Blackboot had more compassion for him. Dr. Thunders now continues the super-soldier program as a private organization in the Bahamas with Dr. Blackboot.

Aspects: Enemy: Dr. Percy Thunders, Team Player

The Novel
Dr. Phoenix vs. the Immortal Shaman

Dr. Phoenix travels to the Amazon rain forest after hearing rumors of a great shaman who is 2000 years old. Can Dr. Phoenix survive the cannibal tribes? The ancient jungle beasts? And who is the mysterious IMMORTAL SHAMAN? In the heart of the jungle no one can hear you scream!

Aspects: Drug Hunter, Prop: The Needler (Tranquilizer Gun)

Tie-In: Joshua Joseph Under The Waves

Dr. Phoenix goes out of his way to help finance his colleague Dr. Joseph’s many mysterious expeditions. Dr. Joseph has on many occasions brought back exotic plant matter and local remedies from the farthest reaches of the globe to add to Dr. Phoenix’s studies. So, it wasn’t quite unexpected when a simple afternoon tea in Victoria Station turned into an underground journey into madness and discovery.

Aspects: Selfish Financier, “I have touched the void of insanity.”

Tie-In: Finn Asher in: Heavens Asunder

Finn Asher has always been Dr. Phoenix’s go-to guy when it comes to military hardware and muscle. So, he was more than willing to help when Finn was in desperate need of a flying ship that could take him all the way to Jerusalem's Ridge. Dr. Phoenix quickly gathered a group of hired mercenaries and headed to that castle in the sky.

Aspects: Gather a small army, “A few bucks can get you the craziest things.”

ASPECTS
Lonely junkie - “A pill for every occasion!” - Enemy: Dr. Percy Thunders - Team Player - Drug Hunter - Prop: The Needler (Tranquilizer Gun) - Selfish Financier - “I have touched the void of insanity.” - Gather a small army - “A few bucks can get you the craziest things.”

SKILLS
Superb: Science
Great: Mysteries, Resources
Good: Academics, Engineering, Leadership
Fair: Drive, Investigation, Resolve, Contacting
Average: Endurance, Alertness, Guns, Athletics, Survival

STUNTS
Science: Scientific Genius, Scientific Invention, Weird Science, Mad Science
Weapon: The Needler

Mad Science: Dr. Phoenix is capable of creating pills and cocktails that give the recipient super-human, otherworldly or just plain odd attributes.

The Needler (personal artifact): This is a tranquilizer dart firing rifle that can be used like a weapon with the Guns skill. Improvements: futurization and speculative science; Craftsmanship (+1 to Weapons rolls when using as a weapon). Dr. Phoenix prepares his own special cocktails for the darts.
Health: [][][][][] []
Composure: [][][][][]
fate points: 9/10

Random_Person as Dr. Joshua Joseph
Dr. Joshua Joseph

Background
Joshua was raised in half a dozen places around the world, ranging from Egypt to Australia. His father was an incredibly famous historian and linguist, and so Joshua knew five languages by the age of seven. By the age of ten, he could recite virtually every known noble line, with dates of birth and death. By the age of twenty, he held a doctorate from Oxford, with first class honours. He was fascinated by the past, but more specifically by the artifacts of the past, leading him into field work instead of secluded study.

Aspects: Father, Always On The Road

The War
Ancient civilisations held incredible secrets, and it was these that led him into the war effort. Between the secret writings of Plato, the sunken murals of Atlantis and the deciphering of Newton's journals, the past held much that the war effort needed badly. Joshua was a freelancer, not technically affiliated with any country in particular but valued by all the Allies for his contribution. In fact, a number of the innovations relied on secrets dug up in his wanderings. He also met the man who he would come to think of as his opposite, Mr. Hendriks.

Aspects: 'Amazing...', Nemesis: Mr. Hendriks

Novel: Joshua Joseph Under The Waves
When three professors are murdered within a week of each other, there's only one connection; all three worked with Joshua during the war. And when the last one scribes a sigil known only to a handful of people in the world, it leads Joshua into a network of tunnels beneath England, and eventually to the very heart of the Elder City that first inspired the citizens of Atlantis. But what will happen when he finds the inhabitants, and learns a secret that spans centuries and miles?

Aspects: The Elder Conspiracy, I Have No Friends

Tie-In: Joshua Joseph Appearing In Dr. Phoenix And The Immortal Shaman
When Dr. Phoenix needs a guide to the customs of Amazon tribes, who better to turn to than Joshua Joseph? But the jungles and Joshua both hold their dark secrets...

Aspects: Friend: Dr. Phoenix, Fear: Darkness

Tie-in: Heavens Asunder

Dr. Joshua is fascinated by the bizarre, the fringe cases. So when Finn Asher learns of a vast city in the sky, what could he do but come along? But the Elder Conspiracy has fingers even here, and Dr. Joshua finds himself torn between his loyalty to his friends and his hatred for his foes. Can he bring himself to put aside his animosity, or must he and his friends perish in the city of the skies?

Aspects: Blinding Hatred, Paranoia
Aspects: Father, Always On The Road, 'Amazing...', Nemesis: Mr. Hendriks, : The Elder Conspiracy, I Have No Friends, : Friend: Dr. Phoenix, Fear: Darkness, Blinding hatred, Paranoia

Skills
Superb: Academics
Great: Fists, Athletics
Good: Resources, Contacting, Mysteries
Fair: Weapons, Drive, Investigation, Endurance
Average: Pilot, Empathy, Resolve, Alertness, Deceit

Stunts
Academics: Linguist, Gift of Tongues
Mysteries: Rare Artifact
Fists: Brawler, Dirty Fighter
Health: [][][][][] []
Composure: [][][][][] []
fate points 10/10

And Pumpkin3.1415 as Finn Asher

Finn Asher

Background
Finn was one of the thousands of immigrants who washed up on the shores of Ellis Island, walking off the boat from Ireland with nothing but the clothes on his back and two hungry mouths needing to be fed. Both his parents died on the boat ride from the old country, leaving the young Finn to take care of his two younger siblings, Jacob and Moira. Setting up in the filthy tenements of Manhattan's Lower East Side, Finn worked any job that would take him--chimney sweep, brewer, newsie, courier, factory worker--to support his family, working long hours to keep a roof over their heads. Not all the work was strictly legal, but Finn always looked out for his family. Eventually, Jacob joined in his brother's work, and the two of them were able to send Moira to a prestigious boarding school to give her a good future.

Aspects: Family First, Irish Diaspora

The Great War
Finn had no interest in the Great War when it broke out; unfortunately, he didn't have much of a choice when Jacob got himself into hot water after a run-in with the police ended up with one officer dead and Jacob with a one-way ticket to the gallows. He managed to escape and made plans to make his way to France, where he planned on joining the Foreign Legion. Finn wasn't going to let his younger brother undergo such a dangerous ordeal on his own, and after settling Moira's tuition, the brothers made their way to Paris. The two survived training in the harsh climate of Algiers together, but unfortunately, Jacob (along with the rest of Finn's squad, for that matter), perished the disastrous invasion of Galipoli. Finn had had enough of the War at that point, and decided it best that the French Government just assume he was one of the masses of floating corpses in the straits. Instead, he wandered; trying to find respite from the horrors of the war, either at the bottom of a bottle, or the arms of a woman.

Aspects: Last Man Standing, A Man for All Ladies

Finn Asher in: Heavens Asunder
Finn Asher arrives back home to Kowloon City, Hong Kong, only to find a message waiting for him from his sister Moira. The cryptic letter only spells of her need to be rescued, and hints of a city held aloft in the clouds. Finn takes to the sky and to the xenophobic city of Jerusalem's Ridge, where the cunning and charismatic Ezekiel Grimme commands a city founded on ascension to divinity itself. Will the desperate brother find his sister amidst this heavenly flotilla? Will Finn and his compatriots overcome the machinations of the city's faithful? What connection does Grimme have to the mysterious Tunguska Society, and what do they want with Moira?

Aspects: Nemesis: Ezekiel Grimme and the Tunguska Society, Don't Look Down

Guest Spot: Dr. Phoenix vs. the Immortal Shaman
Hot on the trail of his most hated foes, the deranged preacher Ezekiel Grimme and the malevolent Tunguska Society, Finn Asher finds himself once more in the company of the good Doctor Phoenix. Of course, when our intrepid heroes get caught up in the plans of an immortal shaman, you can be sure that Finn Asher stands by his friends...perhaps for the last time.

Aspects: Brush with Death, Loyal to the End...the Terrible, Grisly End

Guest Spot: Joshua Joseph Under the Waves
Doctor Joshua Joseph calls in his favor: he needs help uncovering the mystery behind a string of murders of academic elites. But the truth becomes less and less clear as our heroes make their way farther and farther below the earth's surface--to a long-forgotten alien city beyond the comprehension of most men. Will Finn and the doctor see the light of day again, or succumb to the madness that seems to have claimed so many before them?

Aspects: Cool as a Cucumber, Can't Catch a Break

Aspects: Family First, Irish Diaspora, Last Man Standing, A Man for All Ladies, Nemesis: Ezekiel Grimme and the Tunguska Society, Don't Look Down, Brush with Death, Loyal to the End...the Terrible, Grisly End, Cool as a Cucumber, Can't Catch a Break

Skills:
Superb: Guns
Great: Endurance, Weaponry
Good: Might, Rapport, Survival
Fair: Alertness, Athletics, Gambling, Leadership
Average: Academics, Mysteries, Resolve, Resources, Sleight of Hand

Stunts:
Academics: Linguist
Guns: Quick Draw
Rapport: International, Ladies' Man
Weaponry: Anything Goes

Health [][][][][] [][]
Composure [][][][][] []
fate points 10/10

OOOC thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186619

jonnyturbo
2011-02-08, 01:55 PM
Dr. Phoenix goes to the bar and purchases a bottle of whiskey and brings it back to the table with three tumblers.

“Come on Irish, show me what you got.”

Dr. Phoenix fills the tumblers and puts them in front of the men.

“It looks as though we are going to be in here for the night. We’d better make the best of it.”

Dr. Phoenix pulls out a pill and swallows it by emptying his glass. He puts two more pills on the table and winks at Dr. Joseph.

“Shall we get dangerous gentlemen?”

Fortuna
2011-02-08, 11:12 PM
"Intriguing. If I didn't know you better, I'd trust you. As it is..."

He grins widely, and swallows the pill with his drink.

Pumpkin3.1415
2011-02-09, 02:19 AM
Finn Asher sits with his back to the wall, absentmindedly cleaning his old service revolver with a handkerchief, not even the leaking ceiling dripping onto the brim of his hat causing him any kind of distraction. He only takes his attention away at the clinking of the tumblers onto the table. Giving it one last wipe with the greasy rag, he puts the weapon back in its holster and the handkerchief in his back pocket. Finn unceremoniously reaches across the table and downs his drink, and leans back in his chair until the back of it leans against the wall of the bar.

"I'll pass on tha pill, there, Mason...I'm still not sure I forgive you for what happened back'n Malta. 'Course, that don't mean I'm not gonna have myself another drink if we're stuck here for another night."

The Irishman gives a devilish grin as he pours himself another glass, lifting it in the direction of Anita Gazabo as a silent toast to the trio's host.

jonnyturbo
2011-02-09, 04:22 AM
Dr. Phoenix gingerly refills the empty glasses.

“Suit yourself Finn, but Dr. Joseph and I, well, we’re men of science,” He says with a sly smirk.

Dr. Phoenix takes the remaining pill and slowly chews it. He takes dainty yet awkward sips from his glass.

“Ooh, that hits the spot.” Dr. Phoenix wipes his mouth with the back of his sleeve, then violently leans into the table.

“You fancy the tart behind the bar. I can see it,” he says accusingly. “Now, I’m sure we all agree not to turn this into a ‘Maltese’ situation… they don’t even celebrate Mnarja here… but how do you feel about a wager?”

Dr. Phoenix moves in closer and lowers his voice.

“I’ll bet that you can’t finagle us some free rooms from the bartender tonight. If I win, I want you to loosen up and help make this one of those nights we can look back on and smile. If I lose, well, you make the call.”

Dr. Phoenix jerks back toward Dr. Joseph and clinks their glasses together.

“Either way this should be a night to remember, eh Joshua?”

Pumpkin3.1415
2011-02-09, 05:50 PM
Finn swirls his drink around in its glass, contemplating the wager suggested by by his friend. If he was going to be stuck on the island for another night, it's true; having some...company would be a nice change of pace. Putting the glass down on the table, Finn rises and nods to Mason, and walks over to the bar.

He finds a seat close to the end and removes his hat, wiping excess water from its brim before setting it down on the bar. He pulls from his breast pocket a pack of kretek cigarettes, taking one and a lighter out of the pack. As he lights up, he beckons to Anita, offering up the box should she want one.

"I don't suppose you have some good Irish whiskey back there? My friends o'er there are content with bourbon, but I prefer something a bit smoother myself."

TheThan
2011-02-09, 10:19 PM
Anita Gazabo flashes Finn an enchanting smile before reaching under the bar and producing a small black bottle with no label. Anita is a beauty to behold, with olive skin, raven black hair,and wild, black eyes that a man could get lost in.

“This is the good stuff. I don’t usually serve it to customers. But I have this feeling that you’re more than just any normal customer.”
She says, as she pours Finn a glass. Her accent is thick but understandable, clearly Spanish.
“SO” she says, leaning over the counter enough to give Finn a nice view of her ample bosom.
“What brings you here to Burga-Durga?”

Pumpkin3.1415
2011-02-10, 01:08 AM
"Mmm...Adventure, I s'pose, but as ye can see, the rain's put a stop to that, least for now. I think my companions o'er yonder may be gettin' a little cabin fever, if tha truth be told. Honestly I think I may sleep out in tha rain if I haveta spend another night in the same room with 'em. Not that they aren't a fine pair o'lads, of course."

Finn nods graciously to his hostess as he picks up the glass and takes a swig from it, savoring what was probably the best drink on this waterlogged island; at least, the best that he was going to get. Flicking a bit of ash into the closest ashtray, Finn takes a quick drag before he turns his attention back to Anita.

"What about yourself, Ms. Gazabo? What takes up your time on an island like this?"

TheThan
2011-02-10, 01:48 AM
“This bar mostly, though I do enjoy a nice bottle of wine and a walk on the beach, when I have someone to share it with.”
Her voice trails off as her attention is drawn away from Finn and towards the door.
Finn turns, following her gaze and suddenly as if on cue a man staggers through the saloon style doors, backlit by a bolt of lightning and the crash of thunder. He stumbles into the center of the room and practicly collapses into Finns’ arms, a large dagger protruding from his back.
The man is wearing soiled, shredded khakis. Clearly he’s been in the jungle for some time, judging from the design and condition of his clothing, what little of it is left.
He’s alive but won’t be for long, judging from the size of the dagger that’s sticking out of his back.
The man is clutching something close to his chest. You can see it is some sort of scroll. As you pull it away, the man breaths,
“Khan Lo.”

Pumpkin3.1415
2011-02-10, 06:56 PM
Finn's revolver seemingly springs to life, as it's already found its way into its owner's hand. Cautiously eying the swinging doors, Finn slips over to the edge of the entrance, looking out of the door the best he can without betraying his position to anyone who may be outside and looking to do some harm. The battering rain proves to be too much, and he heads back over to the man on the floor. Kneeling over the poor sod, Finn picks up the scroll and unfurls it, hoping to make some sense of the man's speech.

"Who are you? What's 'Khan Lo'? Who did this to ya?"

He turns over to his compatriots at the table and calls them over.

"Doctors! I think we may have a bit ov'a situation o'er here!"

jonnyturbo
2011-02-10, 10:55 PM
Dr. Phoenix swiftly, but not too swiftly, swaggers over to the man with a knife in his back. He nearly spills his drinks as he looks at the wound.

“Wooph. That looks bad. Here now, let’s just take care of you.”

Dr. Phoenix waggles the knife out of the man’s back. A thin geyser of blood sprays up the front of Dr. Phoenix’s all white three-piece “adventure” suit. He cups his hand over his drink just as he is sprayed in the face. Dr. Phoenix gingerly applies pressure to the wound with his foot with a slightly disgusted grimace.

“Eh… a night to remember…”

Dr. Phoenix solemnly sips his whiskey like a noble bird.

TheThan
2011-02-11, 12:31 AM
Upon closer inspection, it appears the man with the scroll is no longer alive. Dr. Phonex’s “attempts” to save the man’s life seem to be in vain.

As Finn handles the scroll he sees that it’s made out of parchment and very old. It has been sealed with a wax seal, but the it's broken, upon further inspection, the seal’s crest is that of a skull with two swords flanking it.

Unfurling it, Finn sees that part of the scroll is a sea chart, while the other part of the scroll seems to be a map indicating the location of something. There is text, which is clearly Chinese, but it’s archaic, hard to read and comes off as little more than gibberish. The text might have to be studied closer before anything of value can be pulled from it.

Fortuna
2011-02-11, 04:56 AM
"Oh my. This looks interesting..."

Gingerly plucking the scroll from Finn's hands, Dr. Joseph peers at it. It's been a while since he studied Chinese, but...

"Ah-HAH! It's the left-handed form of the third declension! Which means it's a left-handed piece from then, so..."

You may want me to roll Academics, I suspect. Four fudge dice is exactly equivalent to 4d3-8, so I'll just use that.

[roll0]
Also, if this is a language that I couldn't possibly know, I need to spend a language slot on it. Is it that archaic?

TheThan
2011-02-11, 01:59 PM
After a few minutes of puzzling over the text, Dr. Joseph managed to decipher what it says, mostly.

From the black beach to the mighty fountain
From the darkest depth to hell’s inferno
Death points the way
And only the dead will receive my bounty.

Dr. Joseph begins rattling off about the language’s origins.

“It’s a treasure map.”
Anita says, interrupting the rest of Dr. Joseph’s monolog.

“Some of the locals have been making fake maps and selling them to tourists and treasure hunters recently. The story of Khan Lo’s treasure is pretty big in this area, since we’re very close to where the British sunk his ship. It’s not surprising to see people buy a map, head off into the jungle and get lost. Although I never thought someone would be murdered over it.”
She says as she looks down at the body.
“ Hey, I know this man, he came in with some other explorers , like you, a few weeks ago. They were headed off in search of the treasure. What was his name? Williams? Something like that, he had three companions with him.”

Pumpkin3.1415
2011-02-11, 03:31 PM
"Maybe that's part of the game...lure 'em in with fake maps and rob 'em blind or strike 'em down..."

Finn turns his attention to something a little more his speed: the knife taken from the man's back. After Mason hands the weapon over to Finn, he sets down at the bar and wipes of the blood with the same handkerchief from earlier, and begins to study ever facet of the knife he can; it's hilt, blade, pommel, anything that might be useful in telling who would use such a weapon.

jonnyturbo
2011-02-11, 07:12 PM
“Now treasure I can take or leave, but a man has been murdered! This will not go unpunished.”

Dr. Phoenix rounds up the remaining bar patrons to question them about what they know about treasure hunters, and especially this man Williams.

“Ok you bunch of savages. I want to know who is most likely to have committed such an egregious act of…”

Dr. Phoenix spins on his heels and points his finger like a loaded gun at a couple of locals who are about to clean up the corpse; one with a mop and one with a trash bag.

“Do not touch that body!” Dr. Phoenix says over-enunciating every syllable.

The locals freeze in their tracks.

“I have yet to conduct a thorough forensic examination!”

TheThan
2011-02-11, 07:47 PM
Anita sends the worker holding the mop off to fetch the constable; he leaves, still carrying the mop. Most of the men and women in the bar stare at Dr. Phoenix with blank looks on their faces, they’ve all been in the bar the whole evening. One white woman speaks up about a local trying to sell her a treasure map, but she declined since she’s trying to get back to the states.

A local speaks up about how he had overheard the victim and his fellows talk about gathering supplies for an expedition into the jungle, this fellow was sure he was onto something big. But that’s all he knows. He goes on to say that everyone knows the Khan Lo’s treasure doesn’t really exist, and that he spend his wealth up in Asia before the British navy hunted him down.

Finn originally thought the murder weapon to be a dagger but now that he’s got a closer look at it, he sees it’s actually a very large bowie knife. The sort a westerner would carry not an Asian or a local. It has a brass pommel and wooden handle. It’s clearly seen better days, the wood on the handle is worn, and there is a bit of pitting on the blade. Never the less its still razor sharp and it’s easy to imagine the sort of horrendous damage a knife like this would cause to someone.

jonnyturbo
2011-02-12, 11:07 PM
Dr. Phoenix, disappointed, but not surprised by his initial investigation, abruptly leaves the blabbering patrons to examine the body. He has no shame. He rifles through the dead man’s pockets. He rips open the dead man’s clothes to look for any minutia that would lead him to the culprit.

Some locals attempt to stop this offensive display, but Dr. Phoenix holds them at bay with his tumbler of whiskey.

“Huppupup madam. Please stand back. I am a man of science and cannot be trusted.”

The woman passes out into Dr. Joseph’s arms as Dr. Phoenix squeezes some puss out of the corpse’s wound.

“Hmmm, interesting.”

TheThan
2011-02-13, 02:08 AM
A few minutes pass and the local with the mop returns with the constable and several deputies. After a few minutes of discussion, mediated by Anita, the constable orders the body dragged away, and all evidence confiscated. He takes a moment to disperse the crowd.
Fortunately, Dr. Joseph tucks the map away out of site before the constable or his deputies notice, no one mentions it to the constable. The constable insists that Dr. Phoenix can stop by the police station first thing in the morning to finish conducting his investigation.
After the constable leaves (with the body), Anita makes her last call for drinks, and begins cleaning up. It takes you a moment but you realize that you two are pretty worn out and take to your rooms.

Pumpkin3.1415
2011-02-13, 03:50 PM
Finn sits in the corner of the mens' room, nursing a small metal mug of oolong tea, his feet propped up on an oaken desk beside him. Dutifully studying the murder weapon, he waits for the men of 'science' to figure out the map.

"In case ya both were wondrin', this ain't a knife from these parts. This is good ol' American steel if I've ever seen it. I think there may be more to this than locals foolin' folk with fake maps. Speakin' o'which, ye have any luck figuring out what the deal with that map is?"

Fortuna
2011-02-13, 10:16 PM
"Well, it's an old dialect. I haven't studied this in maybe thirty or forty years. But just looking at it, it's pretty damn close to geniune-looking. Anyone who made a fake like this would be damned good."

TheThan
2011-02-14, 09:49 PM
After a bit of discussion over the map and the knife, the three of you decides to call it an evening.

The thunder and lightning rolls away, but the rain continues to down pour. The four of you are rolled up in your room, asleep on separate beds. Dr. Phoenix is closest to the door, followed by Finn and Dr. Joseph. The knife and the map lay open on the table, closest to Finn.

Slowly the door creeks open, and a body slips inside the room. Dr. Phoenix, hears it open and his eyes blink awake, and is suddenly very much aware of the figure lurking in the room. Dr. Joseph and Finn hear it was well, but not quite as keenly and are slower to awake.

The intruder doesn’t seem to notice the three of you are awake.
What are you going to do?

jonnyturbo
2011-02-15, 01:49 AM
Dr. Phoenix, groggy on pills and booze, can smell trouble like the bottom of a test tube being Bunsen burned. He leaps onto his bed trusty needler and lets a tranquilizer dart loose into the shadowy figure.

“Ahh Haaaa! You can dance with the devil but he’ll never let you lead!”

TheThan
2011-02-15, 01:38 PM
The intruder spins around suddenly at the sound Dr. Phoenix’s voice only to take two needles to the chest. A perfect shot. The intruder staggers around a moment before slumping against the wall, sliding down to the floor and falling unconscious.

Someone flips on the light, and you can see an unconscious white man, wearing trousers held up by suspenders, a white linen shirt, heavy boots, and a red handkerchief tied around his neck. You also notice he is wearing a heavy belt with a holstered revolver and a sheath for a belt knife, which is suspiciously missing.

Pumpkin3.1415
2011-02-15, 02:32 PM
Finn slowly rouses from his slumber, the commotion and turning on of lights finally getting the last bits of sleep from his eyes. Groggily fumbling for his revolver, however, once it's in his hand, his hand is completely level and calm; not wavering or shaking in the slightest. He walks over to the downed man, pulling the man's own revolver out of its holster and pointing it down at the man, expecting trouble even from his unconscious state. Noticing the two needles stuck in the man, Finn looks over to Mason.

"Nice shot there, Mason. I 'spect I wouldn't've been able to do much better m'self. Uh...when uh...when is he gonna get up? Is he?"

jonnyturbo
2011-02-15, 06:43 PM
"He should be roused by sun up. I say we tie him down and prepare for a brutal interrogation. Dr. Joseph will take bad cop. I'll be the good cop, and Finn, you hit him when he is uncooperative.” Dr Phoenix looks at Finn, “This is the kind of thing I normally hire you for."

Dr. Phoenix takes the bed sheets and tears them into thin strips. He then works them into an intricate filigree of unbreakable bonds and ties up the intruder.

Dr. Phoenix sits on the bed and leans against the wall. He pulls a pipe from his pocket and stuffs it with Indonesian tobacco. He leans harder against the wall and takes in what just happened in his continually intoxicated state.

TheThan
2011-02-15, 09:31 PM
Finn takes the rope and ties the intruder up snugly. Then sits back and two of you sit back and wait for him to awaken. Dr. Joseph seems to be undisturbed by the intrusion.

Morning rises, and the three of you slowly waken, Dr. Phoenix is still leaning against the wall, his pipe in his hand, and the others are still mostly in their beds. The captive is still unconscious, and tied, leaning against the wall on his side, snoring.
The rain has stopped and it looks like it’s another beautiful clear day in paradise.

jonnyturbo
2011-02-17, 01:33 AM
Dr. Phoenix re-lights his pipe and saunters over to the intruder and begins to lightly kick his leg.

“Eh? You up? It’s time to wake up you thug. You are totally surrounded. There are aerialists circling this tower. If you resist nobody is getting out alive!”

Fortuna
2011-02-17, 03:20 AM
Dr. Joseph raises an eyebrow.

"I'll admit that my colleague's statement may not be entirely true, per se, but you are surrounded by some of the foremost combatants in the world. Between us, we can cause inestimable damage, or inestimable pain without damage."

TheThan
2011-02-17, 03:04 PM
The intruder slowly awakes, groggily he looks around and his eyes lock on Dr. Joseph. Its clear that this man knows Dr. Joseph.
Suddenly Dr. Joseph recognizes the man, after a few moments of searching his memory; he comes up with a name, Bill Bradshaw, the right hand man to a certain Arthur Hendriks. Things are becoming clear now, Hendriks and his men must be after this treasure.

jonnyturbo
2011-02-17, 11:45 PM
"Tell us who you are and what you're doing here, or we will begin to not estimate things."

Dr. Phoenix blows smoke rings into the man's face.

Fortuna
2011-02-18, 01:54 AM
"I'm afraid I can answer that. Bill Bradshaw, bootlicker extroardinaire, at our service. So, where's your 'partner', then? You're too loyal to let him much out of your sight."

TheThan
2011-02-18, 08:55 PM
Bradshaw glares at the good doctor Joseph and says,

“ You’re in over your head this time doc, you got the better of us last time we met. But that won’t happen again. As for Hendriks, I ain’t saying nothin’ you’re not the law around these parts.“

Fortuna
2011-02-18, 10:49 PM
"Really."

Lightning-quick, Joshua's elbow slams into the man's gut. His other hand is already muffling his mouth, and his eyes have a disturbing intensity to them.

"Really?"

TheThan
2011-02-19, 12:39 PM
“Oooph”
Bradshaw groans. He glares up at Dr. Joseph. Then answers,
“ok.. ok.
That map is real. Its two hundred years old and penned by Captain Khan Low himself. I dunno how Williams got a hold of it, but we heard about his discovery and that he was planning to go after the treasure.
The plan was simple, we figured we could make a killing off of it. So we managed to join his team of experts to help him find it. We were going to steal the map and find the treasure on our own. But we hit a complication.
There’s a third part see. I never got any names but I’d put good money on them being Chinese. They were lead by a woman, but I don’t think she was the one that’s really in charge. That would be the white man, he’s tall and gangly, and stiff backed, kind of like your friend there.

He nods at dr. Phoenix.

Only he’s clean shaven and wears a priests’ collar. Though he didn’t act like any preacher I’ve ever met. Anyway they ambushed us and took us captive. Later, after they told us they were going to kill us, I saw an opening, and created diversion, Doc Williams took the chance and grabed the map. The two of us escaped into the jungle. Only they gave chase. We managed to make it back here, but the doc was hit. By my own knife. He stumbled into the bar, and I took to hiding nearby and so did our pursuers. Apparently they had the same idea I did. I managed to dodge them to get in here. I’m surprised they haven’t shown up by now. "

Fortuna
2011-02-19, 02:42 PM
Dr. Joseph steps back. "I see. Well then, I suppose now we'll have to do something to you."

Pumpkin3.1415
2011-02-19, 03:33 PM
"So, what you're sayin' is that not only didya try to sneak into our rooms, but you managed to lead all that bad out from the jungle back here? Good work; you're truly an outstanding idiot."

Finn walks over to the man, and gives him a quick kick in the ribs--nothing too hard, but enough to cause a small bruise.

"Why hide? Why not get the first boat of this island? Not like there ain't enough smugglers around here who'd be willin' to--wait, did you just saying something about a preacher?"

TheThan
2011-02-20, 05:31 PM
OOPH.
Bradshaw responds to Fin’s kick.

I lost them in the jungle just outside of town, and slipped in the back way. I made sure I wasn’t followed or seen.
Hendriks is my friend, and to be honest, I don’t have many. So I’m loyal to him. I planned on stealing back the map and using it to bargain for his release, which is why I haven’t tried to leave. Besides you saw that storm last night, no ship would be crazy enough to sail in it. It’s actually pretty impressive we got as far as we did.
Like I said, they were careful with names. But I overheard the preacher mention something about using the wealth to rebuild something called “Jerusalem's Ridge”. I’ve no idea what that is though.

jonnyturbo
2011-02-20, 06:56 PM
“Well, I say we throw this filth gagged into the bathtub and get to this treasure before Grimme does. We were lucky to get out of that sky fortress alive.”

Dr. Phoenix gags Bradshaw with a sock. He then drags the chair into the bathroom and shoves him into the bathtub. Dr. Phoenix closes the door behind him.

“Gentlemen, I don’t know how there can be so much villainy on such a tiny island. We can’t trust that scab, but we also cannot allow that maniac friend of yours to build another insane sky temple. Dear god, I still have nightmares about those cultists throwing their children off of the edge. We must find out the validity of this treasure map! I suggest that we leave immediately.”

Dr. Phoenix moves to the kitchenette and empties a bottle of bourbon into three hipflasks. He then opens a new bottle of whiskey. He drinks furiously while preparing a backpack with bizarre scientific equipment. He stops packing often to use his mortar and pestle to make different pills using strange herbs, fungi, biological material, minerals and occasionally electricity.

Fortuna
2011-02-21, 02:16 AM
"As much as he's done, I doubt that the law in this country, or any country, can hold him long. But we can't afford not to look into the treasure."

"There's only one option. You're coming with us."

Pumpkin3.1415
2011-02-22, 01:54 AM
"I think Joshua is right...can't trust him by himself, not just because he'll probably run off. Wouldn't be right to just leave him...especially if it is my dear ol' friend Grimme."

Finn sets about getting his sundries together along with Mason, but his are a bit more...lethal. Bullets, blades, and bludgeons of all kinds find their way into his satchel as he prepares for the expedition. In the middle of the process, he turns to Bradshaw.

"What about the woman, Bradshaw? Last time we met, Grimme didn't have himself a female companion. What do you know 'bout her?"

TheThan
2011-02-22, 01:37 PM
I dunno much. She was the one giving on the orders, but it was clear to me that she was being given orders by the preacher man, what did you say his name was? Grimm? She’s Chinese and wasn’t dressed for a safari, pretty red Chinese dress, heals, you get the idea. She’s quite the looker too.

__________________________________________________ _________________

New scene: the safari

After a while, the party is prepared to leave, you’ve gathered all your equipment and purchased any necessary gear for your safari. You assemble again outside the Bazonga bar. Anita is there to see you off.

TheThan
2011-02-24, 05:59 PM
umm guys? where'd everyone go?
its been a few days since anyone posted.

jonnyturbo
2011-02-24, 07:48 PM
Dr. Phoenix wanders around the cantina trying to recruit some locals to help them in the jungle. If there is a treasure they won’t be able to carry it back themselves and it would be wise to find a guide familiar with this jungle.

I posted in the OOC thread on the 22nd and have been waiting for a response.

TheThan
2011-02-24, 09:48 PM
Dr. Phoenix wanders around the cantina trying to recruit some locals to help them in the jungle. If there is a treasure they won’t be able to carry it back themselves and it would be wise to find a guide familiar with this jungle.

I posted in the OOC thread on the 22nd and have been waiting for a response.

Dr. Phoenix managed to wrangle up 4 porters, all of which are natives.

jonnyturbo
2011-02-25, 08:54 PM
Dr. Phoenix returns to the bar with his four new helpers. Mooshu is a fourteen-year-old with a lazy eye and a love of fishing. Dereel, Mooshu’s father, is a fisherman and local legend for having fought a shark with his bare hands and surviving with a hideous scar that covers most of his shoulder. Choco, Dereel’s brother, is quiet and intense. Junior, Dereel’s son, is a seventeen-year-old musician.

Dr. Phoenix gathers the helpers and introduces them to his companions.

“This is the Zato family. They are kind enough to help us with our expedition. Zato family, this is Dr. Joseph and Mr. Asher. Let’s get some treasure.”

Dr. Phoenix turns to Anita.

“Any last minute advice before we head into this darkness?”

Fortuna
2011-02-25, 09:02 PM
In the meantime, Dr. Joshua is making one last sweep of the town, scouring for any information that anyone might have on Mr. Hendriks. In passing, he also seeks knowledge of Grimme, but the vast majority of his attention is focused on his nemisis.

TheThan
2011-02-25, 11:09 PM
None of the locals can tell you anything about Mr. Hendriks or of Grimme. Both parties seem to have been very careful in covering their tracks.
Anita replies to doctor Phonex,

“I think it’s a fools errand, though if you insist on going, here’s something to make your trip a little more hospitable.”

She hands Dr. Phoenix a fine bottle of Irish whisky. To Finn she blows a kiss to.

So with no more delays your party heads inland into the darkness of the jungle. Dr. Joseph checks the ancient map against a more modern map he had procured earlier. He’s also finished deciphering the map. As you travel, you place Bradshaw at the head of your collum, forcing him to take you to the place where his people were ambushed.

The map reads.

From the black beach to the flaming lake
From the deepest black to the thunder clifts
Those that seek my treasure seek their own doom.

Fortuna
2011-02-26, 05:18 AM
After scribbling out a translation on some scrap paper, Dr. Joseph spends most of his time pondering the words. By the end of the day, he has filled a small book in random scribbles.

As they make camp, Dr. Joseph stays up far into the night, writing indecipherable notes by the pale moonlight. He is still at it when the others wake up, and strikes camp one-handed, still scribbling.

jonnyturbo
2011-02-26, 01:50 PM
Dr. Phoenix and the Zato family get up drearily as last night’s rambunctious drink-a-thon as left them slightly exhausted. This is the kind of adventure Dr. Phoenix thrives on. Dr. Phoenix takes a small drink from a flask and is ready to move on.

“What is our next step Dr. Joseph? You have been pouring over that map for days.”

TheThan
2011-02-28, 07:00 PM
After a breakfast of trail rations and coffee the party sets out again on their journey.
Dr. Joesph, after spending all night deciphering the map and comparing it to the modern ones he packed has discovered that the first place mentioned, the black beach, lays on the south western coast of the island. It’s a small island covered with black sand, it sets only a few miles off from a now extinct volcano.
It appears according to the directions Bradshaw has given, that his previous group of adventures were headed to the very same beach before they were ambushed.

About mid day you come upon the remains of the ambush site Bradshaw has been taking you to. Its clear this is the place, there are upturned safari boxes bearer poles and an assortment of other pieces of equipment, there’s even the remains of a fire. Though it is long cold, it was probably put out by the rain. The area is deserted other than your party, and there are no clear sigh pointing to where they have gone.

aspects: dense underbrush, deep dark jungle

So my whole family besides me is down with the flu. which means i have to take care of four people around here. Naturally i've been a bit busy, which is why i haven't posted in a bit.

jonnyturbo
2011-03-01, 10:56 PM
Dr. Phoenix searches through the mess looking for any clues that might have been left behind. He awkwardly knocks over boxes with his foot while puffing on his pipe. He will often point at something and one of the Zatos will rifle through it.

“It seems like it was quite the scuffle Bradshaw. Is there anything we should know about this particular site?” Dr. Phoenix asks lackadaisically as he wonders through the abandoned campsite.

I hope you and your family are feeling better.

TheThan
2011-03-04, 10:04 PM
Not really, we just camped here for the night. They came at us from the jungle and we were outnumbered and surrounded before we knew it. They seemed to know as much about the treasure as Williams did. There were about ten of them from what I recon, we numbered 6. So they had a clear advantage.

Bradshaw responds to Dr. Phoenix

Looking around the party can see no signs indicating which direction the group and their prisoners went. It’s safe to assume that the previous storm wiped out all traces of their destination.
Dr. Phoenix finds nothing but the typical gear one would take on an archeological expedition, some broken down crates and packing material for transporting relics, brushes, bottles of cleaning agents, camping supplies, and various other sundries. All supplies that both Dr. Phoenix and Dr. Joseph are familiar with. However after a few more minutes of searching, the youngest of the Zato family, Mooshu, finds a small thin diary, bound in black leather and written in script. Dr. Phonex opens it up and poors over the context. It’s clear this book is the diary of Dr. Williams, and concerns the Khan Lo treasure.
The book details how Williams came into possession of the map, and the process he undertook to insure that it is the genuine. Eventually Phoenix finds something more relevant.

Last night I was approached by a Chinese woman and a white man about the map. They wished to purchase it for a heavy sum. I did not like the look of either of them, the woman, while attractive for an Asian, reminded me of a serpent coiling for a strike, beautiful but filled with venom. The man, they neglected to give me names, was tall and straight backed, stiff in manner and appearance. He had a strong chin and was graying at the temples. He wore light spectacles’ and reminded me of an overly stern school teacher or priest, especially since he wore a priests’ collar.
I declined their offer, The treasure of Khan Lo belongs in a museum for everyone to behold and enjoy. Not for one person to squander and waste away.

Two entries later Dr. Williams entered another notable occurrence.

Last night I was accosted in my room, my assailant wore all black and had the small frame of an Asian. If it wasn’t for the insistence of my good friends to take up the art of the pugilist in my college days I would have been sourly injured. My opponent however had never seen such fighting and fled out the window, but not before I scored some serious blows.
I believe this person was attempting to steal the Khan Lo map, which I now carry on my person at all times. Could he possibly work for the two that approached me previously?

jonnyturbo
2011-03-08, 03:27 PM
Dr. Phoenix relays this information to the rest of the party.

“There is no need to stop here. I say we venture forth. I don’t believe this site needs a second bloodbath. Eh Bradshaw?”

Dr. Phoenix gathers the Zatos and stand before Dr. Joseph.

“Which way now doctor?”

Fortuna
2011-03-08, 09:32 PM
"South-west, at least in theory. But the wording of this s bothering me, and there's always more to these things than there appears..."

TheThan
2011-03-10, 02:32 PM
The party sets out to the south west. After cross-referencing the map with others, it should lead you to a small beach on the southwestern portion of the island.

You make good time, and after several more hours your party breaks through the jungle and stop at what seems to be the designated spot. The sand on the beach is black sand, volcanic in nature. Looking around you see the beach is set in a little cove. The cove is a natural harbor for a ship, and judging from how dark the water is, it’s deep enough for a ship to anchor in it. The rocks surrounding it make for good cover to hide a ship here although the entrance into the cove by the sea is treacherous but not impossible to navigate due to the rocks. The sun is setting, a magnificent sight in the natural beauty of the tropics. In about an hour it should be dark.

jonnyturbo
2011-03-10, 07:03 PM
Dr. Phoenix instructs the Zato family to build us a small camp just out of site of the harbor.

“Well gentlemen, I suppose there should be something to be found in this area," Dr. Phoenix says as he approaches Dr. Joseph and Finn. “Dr. Joseph is there an indication on the map of what we are looking for? If not, I suggest we split up and look for any indication of the treasure or our unseen adversaries. The sun is going down boys. Time is of the utmost importance.”

Dr. Phoenix takes a pull from his flask as he moves behind Dr. Joseph to look over his shoulder at the map.

jonnyturbo
2011-03-14, 02:52 AM
Dr. Phoenix gets bored looking at the map and moves back to the camp the Zato family is setting up. He sits down on a fallen tree and drinks...heavily. He teaches the Zato family American folk songs as he gets hammered.

TheThan
2011-03-15, 07:37 PM
After examining the map, Dr. Joseph realizes that the first part of the text on the map, “from the black beach”, clearly indicates a starting point, and that the party should travel to the next location on the map, and that they should proceed to the “flaming lake”. The only thing that this could possibly mean on this island is the active volcano located far to the north of where you are currently.

The party begins to settle down for the night, tents are pitched, a fire is built and dinner is cooked. Mooshu spends the whole time fishing and manages to catch enough fish from the cove to feed everyone. His father is clearly impressed and proud of his son’s fishing prowess. Dereel proves to be a talented cook, and cooks up the fresh fish with an assortment of tropical fruits. The meal is refreshing and excellent, easily the match of any restaurant of quality in these parts.

As the last rays of the sun sinks beneath the ocean waves, Junior breaks out his guitar and begins playing some old local folk song, soon the rest of the Zato family is singing along with the guitar, and you can’t help but try to sing along too, at first they’re amused at your attempts, but soon the three of you have the song down. Junior transitions into several different songs, but the three of you have little problems keeping up.
Eventually however, everyone begins to grow tired, the guitar is put up and everyone begins to turn in. Choco is put on guard duty this night. Soon you are all asleep.

A shout and then a crash ring out in the night, startling you from your sleep. You crawl out of your tent armed, ready for anything.
DR. Josephs’ tent has been collapsed, inside the mess are three figures, two of which are wrestling each other, the other, probably Joseph is rolling around, startled.

Aspects:
Dark, tropical, firelight

jonnyturbo
2011-03-16, 02:30 PM
Dr. Phoenix, on pure instinct, runs at full speed in his adventure pajamas and jumps on top of the two people tussling. He grabs a hold of the first appendage he finds and twists it as hard as he can.

“It’s an ambush!” Dr. Phoenix squeals.

Fortuna
2011-03-16, 03:33 PM
Dr. Joseph, blinded by the tent, reaches for the knife at his belt and pulls it from the sheath. Slashing out of the tent, he climbs to his feet, looking around for more foes.

TheThan
2011-03-17, 12:15 AM
Dr. Mason Phoenix leaps atop the first body he can make out in the gloom, and grasps what seems to be an arm. With all his might he wrenches backwards as hard as he can, in an attempt to disable his opponent. His efforts are rewarded with an audible (and cringe worthy) snap, followed by a sharp screech. A moment later, Choco manages to untangle himself from the tent and pull himself to his feet.

You notice he’s bleeding from a nasty slash on his forearm. He doesn’t seem to pay it any mind and instead moves to remove Dr. Phoenix from the tangled mess of the intruder. Pulling the intruder to his feet, you see that he’s an Asian man, small of stature but wirey and light on his feet. His arm is dangling at his sigh in an unsightly manner, clearly broken by Dr. Phoenix. He’s gone pale and is clearly in a lot of pain.

Choco explains that he caught sight of their intruder sneaking into the camp, and headed for Dr. Joseph’s tent. He gave a warning shout then tackled the guy in hopes of stopping whatever he was up to. The guy drew a knife but he wrestled it out of his hand.

Suddenly Bradshaw appears with is bowie knife in hand and rage in his eyes!
“Why you scum sucking **** I’ll have your kidney for this!”
Dereel and Junior manage to subdue the enraged Bradshaw before he’s able to get to the china man.

“He’s one o’ the group that jumped me, bet he’s still after the map!” he says with a shout, and adds a few choice obscenities in mandarin, clearly aimed at your prisoner.

jonnyturbo
2011-03-17, 11:06 PM
"Calm it Bradshaw!" Dr. Phoenix snaps, "I have just the thing for this mongrel. Tie him to a tree."

Dr. Phoenix walks back to his tent and emerges with a red pill extended between two fingers.

"It took me three years to perfect this. It's better than any truth serum known to man. It is a potent ally in the search for truth."

Dr. Phoenix crushes the pill into a cup of water produced by Choco. They force the liquid into his mouth by shoving his jaw shut and holding his nose (ala Temple of Doom).

"Doctor Joseph, would you please ask this man what he came here for?"

TheThan
2011-03-21, 08:09 PM
The Chinese man resists but the powerfully built Dereel easily holds the man down and you are successful in forcing the exotic concoction into the man’s mouth. The man swallows, forcibly and after a few moments his eyes roll back in his head and his head lulls to one side, Clear signs that the chemicals are working.

Fortuna
2011-03-21, 08:59 PM
Dr. Joseph nods, and begins speaking, trying several different languages in turn until one gets a response. "What is your name?"

jonnyturbo
2011-03-21, 10:59 PM
Dr. Phoenix lights his pipe while watching the interrogation.

TheThan
2011-03-26, 03:43 PM
when Dr. Joseph gets to mandarin, it works. and the prisoners responds rather groggily. His name is Chin.

jonnyturbo
2011-03-26, 10:08 PM
Dr. Phoenix blows smoke in Chin's face.

TheThan
2011-03-29, 03:35 PM
Dr. Phoenix blows smoke in Chin's face.

Chin coughs from the tobacco smoke.

jonnyturbo
2011-03-30, 01:55 PM
"Ah, Chin is it? Ask him where his friends are Dr. Joseph." Dr. Phoenix says in a way that makes him seem rather full of himself.